Does Taylor Made tip their shafts?

juniorgolf18

46" is raw uncut length when ordering an aftermarket shaft. The club companies will install the adapter or directly into the head and butt cut the shaft to 45-45.5" playing length.

BUT......Taylormade does tip their shafts 1" without it being completely advertised as such. I want to say others do not but cannot be 100% certain. If you go to TM website and do a custom fit driver and select your shaft, you will see tipping instruction. You can tip the club -1" soft meaning requesting them to not tip your shaft.

I got fit into an M1 this year with an untipped Kuro Kage. When the club came, I couldn't get the ball more than 10' off the ground with the tipped shaft. I had no idea that it would be tipped when I got it and had no clue what happened.

46" is raw uncut length when ordering an aftermarket shaft. The club companies will install the adapter or directly into the head and butt cut the shaft to 45-45.5" playing length.

BUT......Taylormade does tip their shafts 1" without it being completely advertised as such. I want to say others do not but cannot be 100% certain. If you go to TM website and do a custom fit driver and select your shaft, you will see tipping instruction. You can tip the club -1" soft meaning requesting them to not tip your shaft.

I got fit into an M1 this year with an untipped Kuro Kage. When the club came, I couldn't get the ball more than 10' off the ground with the tipped shaft. I had no idea that it would be tipped when I got it and had no clue what happened.

Interesting. Thanks for feedback.

I found an old thread about it and it said that in the custom shop thee first option in the tipping section soft was 1.5 confirming they tip -1 firm.

I see now the first option is .5 with way, soft or firm, so maybe they don't now ?

Well, just walked through both the M1 and M2 driver customization and it allows both 1/2" soft and 1" soft - so looks like "standard" is still 1".

I found an old thread about it and it said that in the custom shop thee first option in the tipping section soft was 1.5 confirming they tip -1 firm.

I see now the first option is .5 with way, soft or firm, so maybe they don't now ?

Well, just walked through both the M1 and M2 driver customization and it allows both 1/2" soft and 1" soft - so looks like "standard" is still 1".

I guess I don't follow. I don't understand how having 1/2 and 1 soft tells you they tip 1. Seems to me if they tip it 1" then the next firm option would be 1.5 if it's already 1. No?

Edit: I get it now. If it wasn't tipped 1" you couldnt make it "softer" or "longer". Took me a minute...

Now I just hope the shaft we were fitted in was tipped same. It was straight out of a TM cart

So they say don't trim the tip.

The NV we got is torque of 5.2 but if tipped 1 inch it may be down in the 3's like this one. So I'm thinking you don't tip the HZRDUS and butt trim it to lengthh and they will be similar.

I'm assuming the TM adapter adds 1/2 inch so butt trim 1 inch and will be 45.5 just like TM says their M1 will be since tip trimmed.. Maybe? LOL

The NV we got is torque of 5.2 but if tipped 1 inch it may be down in the 3's like this one. So I'm thinking you don't tip the HZRDUS and butt trim it to lengthh and they will be similar.

1" of tip trimming will lower the torque a little but not even close to that amount. At most probably on the order of 0.1-0.2*

I'm assuming the TM adapter adds 1/2 inch so butt trim 1 inch and will be 45.5 just like TM says their M1 will be since tip trimmed.. Maybe? LOL

Add's 1/2" to what? Not the playing length. That's determined by the BBTG of the head, not whether or not it uses an adapter. And you have to know the BBTG of the specific model head you are comparing to the M1 to determine what the different playing length might be or if tipping might be warranted when comparing the behavior of the same shaft in the two heads.

1" of tip trimming will lower the torque a little but not even close to that amount. At most probably on the order of 0.1-0.2*

Add's 1/2" to what? Not the playing length. That's determined by the BBTG of the head, not whether or not it uses an adapter. And you have to know the BBTG of the specific model head you are comparing to the M1 to determine what the different playing length might be or if tipping might be warranted when comparing the behavior of the same shaft in the two heads.

Add 1/2 to paying length like TM says it's 45.5.

What trying to accomplish is get the HZRDUS shaft ordering to the same playing length as the NV that's coming in the driver. As you've confirmed they will tip the NV 1 inch and I want the HZRDUS to match the length but think probably shouldn't tip trim it since it's firmer torque vs the NV from the start. Am I on the right track ?

Then you are referring to the playing length and the adapter doesn't add 1/2" to that. As I mentioned before, the relationship between the cut shaft length and the playing length is determined by the specific model head specs, not whether it has an adapter or not.

Not enough info to really answer your question clearly. First let's just address the issue concerning getting it to the correct playing length. Who are you ordering the HZRDUS from? Who is going to do the work to get the shaft ready to use? Is installing the adapter and cutting to length part of the ordering process? There are some places that will do the work for you but normally, when you buy an aftermarket shaft, you just get an uncut shaft, then you bring it to your local builder (with the head) to do the actual work and just tell him what you want in terms of tipping and final playing length. If all the work is part of the ordering process then we need to know if the length specification they are asking for you to give them is the cut shaft length or the playing length for a given head.

Also, minor point but you mentioned ordering the NV as a part of the custom order for the M1 - if that's the case, just for future reference, when someone refers to the NV shaft, they are generally talking about the classic NV,

http://aldila.hs-sites.com/products/nv

not the newer 2KXV NV (green or orange) which I suspect you are referring to since TM doesn't offer the classic NV as custom option. So if that's the case, you might want to be more specific in the future to avoid any potential confusion.

Then you are referring to the playing length and the adapter doesn't add 1/2" to that. As I mentioned before, the relationship between the cut shaft length and the playing length is determined by the specific model head specs, not whether it has an adapter or not.

Not enough info to really answer your question clearly. First let's just address the issue concerning getting it to the correct playing length. Who are you ordering the HZRDUS from? Who is going to do the work to get the shaft ready to use? Is installing the adapter and cutting to length part of the ordering process? There are some places that will do the work for you but normally, when you buy an aftermarket shaft, you just get an uncut shaft, then you bring it to your local builder (with the head) to do the actual work and just tell him what you want in terms of tipping and final playing length. If all the work is part of the ordering process then we need to know if the length specification they are asking for you to give them is the cut shaft length or the playing length for a given head.

Also, minor point but you mentioned ordering the NV as a part of the custom order for the M1 - if that's the case, just for future reference, when someone refers to the NV shaft, they are generally talking about the classic NV,

not the newer 2KXV NV (green or orange) which I suspect you are referring to since TM doesn't offer the classic NV as custom option. So if that's the case, you might want to be more specific in the future to avoid any potential confusion.

First if all, yes the seller is going to cut it and grip for mee and add the TM adapter.

So that being said, would i tell them to butt trim it 1” to make it match what will come from TM?

So if you order a shaft tipped 1/2" from TM it's really tipped 1 1/2" ?

Yikes - no wonder I never liked the Hzrdus Black i got from them in my M2. I ordered a 6.5 flex tipped 1/2" and it played like a broom handle.

Yikes - no wonder I never liked the Hzrdus Black i got from them in my M2. I ordered a 6.5 flex tipped 1/2" and it played like a broom handle.

I can't say for sure but I would guess yes, depending who you ordered from. Direct thru TM website, if you tipped +1/2" firm, yes you got it tipped 1.5"

I can't say for sure but I would guess yes, depending who you ordered from. Direct thru TM website, if you tipped +1/2" firm, yes you got it tipped 1.5"

Do you know if they tip the 3-woods that you custom order through TM?

Not sure what they do for those. Go to tm.com and try to build a fairway. Custom specs and see tipping. If you can tip it soft 1" it means they tip it 1 inch

Yes. From what I've found out today. Yes.

First if all, yes the seller is going to cut it and grip for mee and add the TM adapter.

So that being said, would i tell them to butt trim it 1" to make it match what will come from TM?

Playing length depends on the BBTG (bottom bore to ground) of the head and even the specific grip cap size. To cut the shaft to the right length you need to know those two specs. Because those specs can vary for different heads (for std bore driver's BBTG can vary between 1.5" and 2+") butt cutting should really be done using an actual actual playing length measurement with the head installed in the shaft. And then on top of that, another 1/8" or so is usually taken off to account for the grip cap. Which means if they only trim 1" off the butt of a 46" uncut shaft, you'd end up with a playing length between 46-5/8" and 47-1/8" or possibly a bit longer depending on the specific grip used.

So if the seller doesn't have an M1 head to measure the actual playing length, they probably shouldn't be doing the butt cutting. If they do have an M1 head, you don't need to micro manage the process - just tell them the desired playing length.

The other option is to base the cut off a shaft you already have that gives the desired playing length (like the one that came from TM if you already have it). Remove the shaft from the head and measure the length of just the shaft from the very end of the grip to the end of the adapter tip. Subtract 3/8" for the amount the adapter extends beyond the tip of the shaft and another 1/8" for the grip cap, and that will roughly be the cut shaft length you need.

Why would TM tip driver shafts as a standard procedure ?

To firm up the tip and increase accuracy ?

If so why not just offer stock shafts that have firmer tips to begin with ?

Ping G430 Max 10.5 Tensei Orange AV Raw 55 Reg

Ping G430 SFT 5w 19* Alta Black Reg

Ping G430 SFT 7w 23* Alta Black Reg

Tour Edge Xrail 5h 26* Graphite Design G-Series Reg

Ping G425 6-UW Alta Slate Reg

Ping Glide 4.0 56* WS Nippon Z-115

Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 60* DG Spinner

Cleveland Smart Sole C 4.0 

Ping 2023 Anser D

Handicap: 8.2

I have the same question, after reading this thread it seems safe to conclude the shafts are tipped... but why? I thought it was in my head when my custom M1 with a black tie was so easy to hit when I got fit, only to find the custom shipped one a complete bear to handle. I figured it was just my swing but I am pretty convinced it isn't now. I had the same thing happen with a rogue silver in an M1 fairway... smoothed it off the deck in the fitting and the real deal feels like rebar. If they tip one inch they should at least be consistent with the fitting cart specs too

It's a good question and has been asked countless times but no one has been able to determine why that started that practice. All we know it seems to have started with custom upgrade shafts in the SLDR or maybe sometime during the R1 release and came without warning. Before then, TM didn't do any additional tipping for any of their drivers.

• 2 weeks later...

Still can't figure out why they do this. I just spoke w/ a TM rep and he told me they tip the shafts to OEM Recommendations.

So I asked, "the Graphite Design website says to not tip driver shafts at all, and only tip 3-wood shafts 1/2" - so if I order a M2 driver w/ an AD-GP shaft - it will not be tipped. Correct?"

and he said "that's correct".

If that's the case - why then can you choose to soften them 1"?

Now I'm very skeptical about ordering - as I definitely do not want the AD GP to be tipped at all...

Still can't figure out why they do this. I just spoke w/ a TM rep and he told me they tip the shafts to OEM Recommendations.

So I asked, "the Graphite Design website says to not tip driver shafts at all, and only tip 3-wood shafts 1/2" - so if I order a M2 driver w/ an AD-GP shaft - it will not be tipped. Correct?"

Now I'm very skeptical about ordering - as I definitely do not want the AD GP to be tipped at all...

Order it soft. They can't negative tip a shaft that is new and uncut. Ordering it as soft as possible will give you a shaft straight in.

• Like 1

Order it soft. They can't negative tip a shaft that is new and uncut. Ordering it as soft as possible will give you a shaft straight in.

I also saw you can tip the 3-wood -1", do you suppose they're even tipping those a full inch?

I also saw you can tip the 3-wood -1", do you suppose they're even tipping those a full inch?

Yeah most likely. I think GD recommends 1/2" for a 3 wood so if you are ordering a FW at Manufacturer recommendation, just go -1/2" soft. That should be exactly where GD recommends. Did you finally decide to go AD GP?

Yeah most likely. I think GD recommends 1/2" for a 3 wood so if you are ordering a FW at Manufacturer recommendation, just go -1/2" soft. That should be exactly where GD recommends. Did you finally decide to go AD GP?

Yes I'm going to give them a try - M2 driver and M2 3-wood. Saw the 2017 lineup and didn't really impress me, and I know I love the 2016 M2 series anyway.

Yes I'm going to give them a try - M2 driver and M2 3-wood. Saw the 2017 lineup and didn't really impress me, and I know I love the 2016 M2 series anyway.

Good choice. You may want to look into the HL Fairway. The GP is a little lower launching than what you may be used to but I guess I don't really know your swing. GP 7x is about as good as it gets (that I have found) in the Driver for me.