Montes no turn cast drill

I was watching some of montes videos last night and saw this drill, and thought id try it out at the range.

IT was amazing i went from thinking about 10 different things at set up to 1 and i was hitting some amazing shots, even made my driver go straight even though i cocked wrists a a little later with the driver.

my question is what is the next step to turn this drill into a full swing? just add some lateral movement and a hip turn?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What kind "full swing" did you use at the range? Use the same swing, the same thoughts. Go play the game with exactly the same feeling and movement.

Perhaps Monte's drill is also demonstrating a proportional adjustment between your arm and body action.

And your success shows that focusing on arm action has actually improved your body's action simply by quieting it down in relation to arm action.

Let your body adjust small movements as needed that support the drill's action while you focus on center punching the club face.

Be cautious when it comes to adding anything - lateral movement or hip turn, whatever - to a successful movement. Be patient.

Let your mind and body adjust to the change over time. One successful day on the range is not a directive to automatically move on to the "next step."

More likely your success is just a message you are on a good path. Just stay on it and enjoy the ride. Let that move become part of your golf.

Watch it again. He clearly states that you are like,y moving enough already. I'd true, you don't need to add anything.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

If you apply this correctly it is a full turn and release. Remember he states in vid if i recall correctly, that to many people the brain interprets wrist hinge ( 90 degree wrist set) as a turn.... thus you get a full turn , or almost one, out of it. I use this all the time and flush shots. The cast parn results in the right arm speeding up.... sooo.... the body automatically follows suit and voilla... proper sequencing and good solid contact.... I flush alot of shots with this. I have played entire rounds as this as only swing thought. Harder to apply with driver for me, but still works.

As someone who just went through this and had some correspondence from Monte.

For the most part, don't change anything in the backswing or take away. He said stick with this for around a month, it is not meant to be a long term swing. For me it ingrained the basics of a very good solid swing and when things go wrong I have a base to go back to (when I go wrong I make my backswing too long or have too much arm overrun in my backswing).

When starting to incorporate it into a full long term swing, he basically just had me add in his feel of hitting the ball with my right shoulder.

I was watching some of montes videos last night and saw this drill, and thought id try it out at the range.

IT was amazing i went from thinking about 10 different things at set up to 1 and i was hitting some amazing shots, even made my driver go straight even though i cocked wrists a a little later with the driver.

my question is what is the next step to turn this drill into a full swing? just add some lateral movement and a hip turn?

It's a great drill and opened my eyes a lot. The only caution is that at the moment you will be turning and you won't be casting but if you overdo the feeling you can end up not turning and just swinging with the arms.

I think this and his left arm parallel drill are the best for syncing everything up and not getting bogged down with technical thoughts

• 1 month later...

I always go to this swing thought when I'm not hitting it solid and it always works. I'm wondering if the reason it works so well is that it puts you on a steeper plane because your shoulders aren't turning right from the start and your arms have no where to go but up as the shoulders get pulled around slightly later.

I honestly believe this is the single best drill bar none to stop overswinging and arm overrun. I've tried pretty everything going for this problem and nothing has worked like the no turn drill.

My feel is that my whole torso is facing down to the ground, as it does at address, whilst my arm move up. The result is lots of torque/ tension in the core and torso that I had never experienced prior to doing this drill. It also makes the arms and shoulders stop together, in sync. It's genius.

I've also had lots of good results with this drill. shortens up the swing and reduces my arm over run since i am very flexible. Keeps me more balanced and up right instead of having awkward lean towards the target due to my arm over run. The thing is, you will feel like or notice you're loosing distance. I brought this to Monte to ask what I needed to do to get that distance back and he basically told me to keep doing it, the distance will come back once the body gets back into sync with the new feels. Also, to "cast" that right arm fast haha.

Good luck

Forever Changing at this point.......

It might be the same thing just focusing on different parts, but general rolling of the lead arm helped me. But my problem was dropping the trail shoulder/elbow and getting stuck and to flip it to get back to the ball. Now, I just think if rolling the lead arm. Night and day difference, so much so that people I play with a lot knows when I'm flipping and when I'm hitting it solid.

• 2 years later...

It's a great drill and opened my eyes a lot. The only caution is that at the moment you will be turning and you won't be casting but if you overdo the feeling you can end up not turning and just swinging with the arms.

I think this and his left arm parallel drill are the best for syncing everything up and not getting bogged down with technical thoughts

Hi, this is exactly what seemed to happen to me. Was getting great contact but no distance because based on the actual drill video I just made it mostly an arm swing. How does one "combine" the right wrist cast downswing thought with a less "arms only" swing? Thanks.

Hi, this is exactly what seemed to happen to me. Was getting great contact but no distance because based on the actual drill video I just made it mostly an arm swing. How does one "combine" the right wrist cast downswing thought with a less "arms only" swing? Thanks.

I have come to the conclusion that golf is hard lol. I used to move my body a lot and arms stayed behind. Now after recent trends in concentrating on the arms I have no pivot to speak of. Whatever drill I try and I have tried them all I am dead square and stood up at impact. I can shoot around 80 with any old nonsense of a swing which is frustrating to say the least.