2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Punta Cana, Dominican Republic Golf

robrey85

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='talkingstick123123' timestamp='1443074594' post='12360404']
I played La Cana when I was there a year ago. The holes pictured in this thread are the best ones on the course. It was my first time playing an ocean lined course, and did not expect how strong the wind was. I want to go back now. Mamajuana!
[/quote]

Yeah dude, I made sure to tell them that I wanted to play Tortuga and Arrecife when I went there and I enjoyed the bar area too. I love the ocean lined courses, especially out there in DR. I have only dreamed about playing courses as beautiful as those that are out there and to actually do it is an amazing experience.

Hell yeah man! Haha, we still have some Mamajuana at our house that is still marinating since April. That s*** was so peppery, it was outrageous. I just got like a calm feeling buzz when I had it. I think if you pair it with some alcohol, it'll be solid.

[quote name='Golfbreaks.com' timestamp='1443082913' post='12360502']
[quote name='robrey85' timestamp='1442879454' post='12347004']
I'm stoked as all hell! The wife and I get to go back to Punta Cana in January! I'm definitely going to play Los Corales this time around. I'm definitely going to play Punta Espada and was considering taking the trip to Teeth of the Dog but not really sure if it's worth it when there's courses just as beautiful that are waayyyy closer.

I might throw in Hard Rock or Punta Blanca in the mix to see how that is otherwise I'll just hit up Iberostar again or La Cana so I can play a total of three times again.

Anyone else planning to head out there that'd want to pair up on the course?
[/quote]

Yes, you definitely must play Corales - the Oceanside holes make for some spectacular and dramatic scenery (like many of the other courses on the island), let us know how you do on the 18th.

We would also recommend thinking hard about playing Teeth of the Dog as from our experiences it is one of the best golf courses in the Caribbean!

Thanks,

Gary
[/quote]

I am still considering Teeth of the Dog but the issue I have is it's so far from where we are staying. If my wife played golf, I would book it because we could spend all that time together but I'm not really feeling leaving her at the hotel, literally, all day. I don't think she'd be feeling it either.

I'll probably just skip it this time around and whenever Excellence El Carmen opens up, I believe that is 20-40 minutes away, I'll book something for some of those courses. La Estancia looks pretty amazing with the big a** ravine and what not as well, although it's an inland course and not an ocean side course.

Haha, I saw the over view of 18, what a weird as hole. I'll definitely post some pictures when I get back.

• 1 month later...

Mamajuana....don't drink the cheap stuff. Get it at a high end restaurant...still...wow.

Anyway. Stayed at the Hard Rock played that course 3 times. Nice track, great shape...tried and failed at hitting the only drivable 4 there...stupid hole. Waste areas were weird...like shale or something. Played with a dude one day that spoke no english...try and explain a hazard compared to a lateral hazard and how to play it and score it. When we finally found a marshall he was pissed at me...but..fun track. Wish I could have gotten to other courses...but it was my honeymoon and all....lol...

PING G430 LST 10* Tensei 1K Pro Orange 50S

PING G430 LST 3Wd 16.0* Fujikura XLR8 61

PING iCrossover Ventus Blue HB 7R

PING i525 4-PW Mitsubishi OTi 105 Stiff

Edel 47* TRP/54* DVR/58* DVR KBS CTaper Lite 110 Stiff

PING PLD DZB Proto

• 2 months later...

I am heading out to the DR this upcoming weekend. We are staying at the Hard Rock and I couldn't be more excited. I haven't played in 2 months. Anyone know the quality of their rental clubs? The wife won't allow me to bring my golf bag on account of our 1 year old needed to bring her entire wardrobe and meal allotment.

A few years ago I played Punta Espada and Corales. Punta Espada was amazing. I would love to try and make it back there again.

I am heading out to the DR this upcoming weekend. We are staying at the Hard Rock and I couldn't be more excited. I haven't played in 2 months. Anyone know the quality of their rental clubs? The wife won't allow me to bring my golf bag on account of our 1 year old needed to bring her entire wardrobe and meal allotment.

A few years ago I played Punta Espada and Corales. Punta Espada was amazing. I would love to try and make it back there again.

I have read mixed reviews of their rentals. Check tripadvisor.com reviews, that's where I read about their rental clubs. If that's the only way you can play, do it! I love Punta Espada, am definitely going to play there as well as Corales and decided on a warm round at Punta Blanca.

Punta Espada is unreal. My wife and I both got deathly sick down in the DR when we went, had a terrible time, food was awful, swore we'd never go back. But I would probably fly back just to play Punta Espada a couple of times. It's that good.

Ping G 10.5 Tour 65s
Ping G 14.5 Tour 80x
Titleist 716 T-MB 3 Iron AD DI 95x
Ping Anser Forged Project X 6.0
Ping Glide 50*SS, 54*SS, 58*SS Project X 6.0
Odyssey Versa 2-Ball

Punta Espada is unreal. My wife and I both got deathly sick down in the DR when we went, had a terrible time, food was awful, swore we'd never go back. But I would probably fly back just to play Punta Espada a couple of times. It's that good.

The bartenders are really bad bartenders. They are so bad at making mixed drinks. We had some issues with service and the language barrier and swore we'd never go back the first time but here we are a year later going back because it's just too damn beautiful not to go back. Sorry to hear about you guys getting sick but if you ever get a chance, give it another chance. I'll post up some pictures when we go next week.

100% agree about Punta Espada. Since you live on the east coast, it's probably a two hour flight to DR so that'd be awesome! I wish I lived that close to the DR, haha.

• 6 months later...

where are the best hotels to stay at a reasonable cost?

And also what sort of prices for golf in January?

Tm M1 Hzdrus 9.5
Titleist 915 Fd Tour Ad Di 7 s
Titleist 712 U 2 Iron
TM 3-PW PSI Project x 6.0
TM Tour Preffered 52, 58 KBS S
Odyssey 7 Standard
TM Flextech Lite Stand
Any Ball

Play the Hard Rock a couple times a few months ago. One of the guys on our trip (PGA pro) made to play Punta Espada and he said it was night and day. I would definitely pass on the Hard Rock. All inland and nothing too special. We only played since it was basically free since we stayed at the Hard Rock. If I were to go back, I would open the wallet and play Espada and Corales. No point in going to the tropics and not playing along the Caribbean.

TSR4 9* with Graphite Design AD-IZ 6X
SIM2 13.75* with PX Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 70TX

SIM2 17.5* with PX Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 80TX
Srixon ZX7 4-9 with KBS $-Taper 130X
Titleist SM9 46F with KBS $-Taper 130X
Titleist SM9 50F with KBS $-Taper 130X

Titleist SM9 54S with KBS $-Taper 130X

Titleist SM8 58L with KBS $-Taper 130X
Brandon Matthews NO.1 CAP Custom

Titleist ProV1

where are the best hotels to stay at a reasonable cost?

And also what sort of prices for golf in January?

Check out Trip Advisor. That should give you plenty of info regarding the hotel options. All inclusive will probably run between $300-500 per night. I stayed at the Iberostar Grand Bavaro last year. It was an amazing experience all around. They typically include a couple rounds of golf if you stay there a certain number of nights. Fun course but there's definitely better options within a short drive.

EFSZ 9* - X2Hot Pro 15* - Srixon H45 19/22 - Srixon 745 5-PW - Vokey SM6 50F, SM5 54F/58K - Odyssey Metal-X #7

The wife and I have always stayed at Excellence Resorts, it's all inclusive and it was like $3400 and we got the upgraded Excellence club feature that has its own little club that serve all day every day appetizers and special liquors not available to others. It also has its own private beach area as well as a pool applicable to EC members. From what the other tourists were saying on the excursions, the language barrier is brutal at most resorts and Excellence spoke the best English and had one of the best varieties for restaurants (6-8 different ones or something like that).

As for golf, you'll probably pay $350 to play at Punta Espada and like $375 for Corales + caddie tip for both courses($20-40 depending on how good he is) give or take. La Cana is probably best bang for your buck. I think it was $160-$200 and it was great! But Punta Espada is by far my favorite golf course. There's also Iberostar which was like $160 or something of the sort. It wasn't too bad but it's an inland course, not a coastal course. I have heard from the other golfers while being there that Hard Rock is pretty terrible and the ground is very hard. I've never played it so I don't know. I did however play Punta Blanca and it was okay, but it was a relatively cheap course. I think it was around $140-$160ish or something of the sort. I can't remember exactly.

Anyway, look into it and if you have any other questions, let me know!

--

Best,

Robert

Hard Rock is nothing special, that's for sure. Most of the front nine is very narrow for a resort course, and there are no views except for jungle and some half-built abandoned condos. The back nine is better, but still nothing to get excited about.

OTOH, if you stay there it only costs around $40 to play (using "resort credits"), so it's not a bad deal at all if you're looking for a convenient round of golf.

• 2 months later...

Just got back from DR. Played Corales, Teeth of the Dog and Punta Espada. All three are excellent and should be played assuming the green fees don't scare you away. The best course was Teeth of the Dog. Teeth was also he most expensive at $289. It is really just about a perfect golf course. I was the first one off in the morning and played as a single. I had a 7:30 am tee time but they let me out at 7:00. It was raining as I teed off and the weather changed about a dozen times during the course of the round... drizzle, hard rain, overcast to clear and sunny. It was like a day in Scotland or Ireland except warm and there was only wind on a few holes. I played the round in two hours and tied my all time best score. My caddie, Jose Urbaez was very good, especially reading the greens. I sunk a couple on bombs which I credit to his reads. He's been looping at Casa de Campo for more than 20 years, starting when he was 15 years old. The ocean front holes are spectacular and I was surprised that the inland holes almost had a Carolina feel. The fairways are wide and there was not much rough. I was staying at Alsol Village in the gated Capa Cana resort in Punta Cana. The drive from Punta Cana to Casa de Campo was about an hour and 10 minutes. I went by cab. I used the same taxi driver all week. He was fantastic and for the round trip between Punta Cana and Casa de Campo he charged just a bit more than the standard rate for one way. He was reliable and met me at the hotel and each course on time. On the ride between PC and CdC he turned me on to Bachata music and gave me a Bachata CD which I am listening to as I type this. If anyone is going to Punta Cana and want to hire him, send me a PM and I'll give you his phone number. Note - he only speaks a little English.

Punta Espada is one of the most beautiful courses I've ever played. The water there is as blue as any I've ever seen. There was a 2-3 club wind blowing the entire round. The course is tough even without the wind and a monster with the wind. The day was sunny and humid. I was paired with a husband and wife who were new to the game. They had obviously had taken lessons but were not very good golfers and kept the caddie, Martin, busy chasing their errant shots. They would not take a gimme and had to go through their pre-shot routine even on 1 foot tap ins. This did not help our pace of play. They also wouldn't agree to allow a single to play through. After two low scoring rounds at Corales and Teeth of the Dog, I had a miserable scoring day at Punta Espada. At least the surroundings kept a smile on my face... sort of. Because I was staying at one of the Cap Cana resorts I got a discounted green fee. Playing after 1 pm also reduced the fee. It was well worth the $175 I paid.

Corales is a very good golf course, but ranks #3 among these three. I'm glad I played it first. I had a 2 pm tee time in order to get the reduce green fee which was still too expensive at $229. It rained for 3 or 4 holes and the course played soft. I was a single and the course was pretty busy with many groups playing practice rounds for a tournament that was to start the following day. My Caddie, Gusto, was good and we did play through several groups. We got backed up on #6 and ended up jumping to #10 and then coming back for 7-9 after we finished 18. It was a good move and I still played in less than two and a half hours. A couple of holes have two greens. In each case the more difficult green was in place the day I played.

Here are a few of photos of each course and links to photo tours of the courses.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/golfcoursepix/albums/72157674859985162 Corales Photo tour

https://www.flickr.com/photos/golfcoursepix/albums/72157672587225374 Punta Espada Photo tour

https://www.flickr.com/photos/golfcoursepix/albums/72157676078190136 Teeth of the Dog Photo topur

30759614926_e76cdb5aca_c.jpg

Teeth of the Dog #5 par 3

30679336772_ed92400fac_c.jpg

Teeth of the Dog #7 par 3 zoomed

30707685031_7c64df7d15_c.jpg

Teeth of the Dog #8 y pitch to green

30679328472_8f9eef3ac6_c.jpg

Teeth of the Dog #15 z approach

30190898133_86abba15d3_c.jpg

Punta Espada #2 from back tee

30524897960_b6d73f4a0b_c.jpg

Punta Espada #2 y green

30825754725_5853ea01eb_c.jpg

Punta Espada #10 pitch to hard to hold green

30193899534_158863fd21_c.jpg

Punta Espada #13 par 3 223 yards in to the wind from dorado tee

30708917612_10d94e3078_c.jpg

Punta Espada #17 x approach

30800424141_dcc45069f7_c.jpg

Corales #3 y aaproach from left side of fairway

30800416461_32991c0997_c.jpg

Corales #9 pitch to green 468

30587582950_e740868873_c.jpg

Corales #18 from tee

How did the trip go? Punta Espada or Corales - which one takes gold?

Unfortunately, I didn't play Los Corales. The wife and I made a deal that if I played one expensive one instead of two, that I could play three times instead of two times so I opted to play more.

I played in this order:

Punta Espada

Iberostar

La Cana

Punta Espada definitely takes the cake for the most beautiful course I've ever played. I had a blast. The caddie was good and gave me some great reads, his name was Ebay, haha. Cool dude, took some pictures for me along with a few videos.

Here's one of the videos he took for me:

[media=]

[/media]

This is seriously, one of the craziest Par 3s I've ever played. The whole time I was playing it was like, "Holy crap, this is crazy. This is beautiful. This is amazing. This is crazy. Holy crap, this is nuts." lol, pretty much the whole day.

I enjoyed that course so much.

Iberostar was meh, okay. I liked that Island green Par 3 they had that was surrounded by sand. They had some other nice courses but that course has a lot of cart path that was offroading. It was a little ridiculous considering the surrounding area was as nice as it was. I would play this course again as a warm up round. I didn't take too many pictures but there was a forced carry Par 3 #16 that I gave a sleeve of balls too because I was frustrated, haha. It was super super humid at this course because it was surrounded by jungle pretty much. The greens were nice though. A TON of wasps. I was hunkered down in my cart at one point hoping not to get stung. Right after that is when I remembered I had some bug spray in my bag which I used and then everytime I walked up on the tee box with a family of wasps around it they'd disperse like a school of fish getting approached by a predator.

La Cana was an awesome course too. I didn't realize that it was a set of three nine holes. They let me choose which 18 I got to play. I chose the couple that went along the coast/beach which was Arrecife & Tortuga. Beautiful course. These greens were the best of the three I played. Punta Espada did the ole, "Let's make our greens sandy to make sure we don't have a lot of unrepaired divots" which made those greens not hold squat. I really enjoyed playing golf out there, even with it being as windy as it was. Punta was the windiest day at like 20-30 MPH winds and the least windy day was Iberostar at like 10-15 so it seemed. I think it was just because the surrounding jungle area was blocking the wind.

Either way, here are a few pictures of the bunch I took:

La Cana, from the 8th Tee Box of Arrecife

Screenshot from a video my caddie took at Punta Espada. I think that's the 15th or something of the sort.

I think this was the 5th or 6th hole of Tortuga @ La Cana. 157 Yard Par 3.

A screenshot from the video above on that Par 3 at Punta Espada

Forgot what hole this was at Punta Espada

Forgot what hole this was at Punta Espada

17th Tee box at Arrecife, La Cana

That 5th or 6th hole Par three on Tortuga, La Cana

All in all, it was a great trip. All Inclusive, can't beat it. Thankfully no one was hurt and or got sick. The biggest I had, was the language barrier. I had to dig deep to speak some broken a** Spanish to some of the people, haha. It was rough.

I've been going on a trip to Cap Cana and playing Punta Espada annually since 2007. Eight guys, stay in a private villa and play a 6 round tourney. We play all rounds at PE, it's THAT good!!!

BTW, your caddies name is Eve (pronounced Evay, not Ebay...lol!). He's been my caddy there since 07 and is the best there IMO, so you got lucky! The photos above that you are uncertain of are 17, and 2.

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

I've been back since then and played Corales and Punta Blanca, although I have yet to play any courses at Casa de Campo. From the Looks of it I will need to make the effort to go out and play there next time I go there. I'm headed to Mexico in a week and a half so I'll get to play some golf out there but I don't expect it'll be as beautiful as Dominican Rep. I've played the southern area of Puerto Morales before but I'm going to the northern area of Playa Mujeres so we'play see what that is like.

I am blown away by the rates you got. Did you play twilight/super twilight rates? When I played Corales was expensive as all hell and so was Punta Espada.

Punta Espada is still one of the most difficult courses I've ever played and still a course I dream about going back to play again. I would honestly fly back to the DR and do nothing but play 36 on that course for 4 days straight and fly home without doing a single other thing and be happy as a clam the whole time. The holes that are on the Ocean are spectacular and the holes that aren't on the Ocean are fantastic as well. So, so good.

Ping G 10.5 Tour 65s
Ping G 14.5 Tour 80x
Odyssey Versa 2-Ball

Punta Espada is still one of the most difficult courses I've ever played and still a course I dream about going back to play again. I would honestly fly back to the DR and do nothing but play 36 on that course for 4 days straight and fly home without doing a single other thing and be happy as a clam the whole time. The holes that are on the Ocean are spectacular and the holes that aren't on the Ocean are fantastic as well. So, so good.

It's my all time favorite golf course that I have played, period. I would do the same thing. Well s***, I have $200 credit @ Delta Airlines. WRXERS GUYS TRIP!

It's my all time favorite golf course that I have played, period. I would do the same thing. Well s***, I have $200 credit @ Delta Airlines. WRXERS GUYS TRIP!

Lettsss GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Ping G 10.5 Tour 65s
Ping G 14.5 Tour 80x
Odyssey Versa 2-Ball