Fitting Tall Golfers With NO Chart or Preconceived Ideas!

rybo

Rybo:

Thank you VERY much for doing this. I have always felt the same way with my clubs. Basically the longer clubs don't need to be too much longer but the short irons always feel like I am hunched over or not in a true athletic position. I am 6'-5" with a WTF of 40". I would love to experiment with this and am in the process of building another set of irons. Can you give me a ball park of where to start based off your findings? Thanks and look forward to a great conversation in and learning in this post.

Steve

Ping G425 10.5
Ping G25 15/18
Srixon ZX7 4-PW
Vokey SM6 Raw 50,54,58
Odyssey 11 Tour Lined CS
Srixon Z-Star

I am finding succes w your ideas. 6,1", 36 WTF and 59.5" high shoulder. Long torso. I am lengthening from 1.5 to 2". Using stiffer, longer and lighter shafts. Good results so far. Everything is better even just st getting used to the setup. Right now I am using a metric that comes out as 4.44% longer in shaft length- that Titleist MB as the standard - that is how it worked out. Driver slightly shorter at 47". Driving is longer and straighter. Go figure.

• Callaway Epic Max LS 10.5; Mitsubishi Diamana TB 60 S; 45.5”
  • Taylormade SIM Max 3w and 5w; Mitsubishi Diamana BF 70 S; 43.25” & 42.25”
  • Mizuno '21 CLK 19, 22 & 25; Fujikura Speeder EVO 75 HB Graphite S; Std L/L/L; sub for 5w, 4i & 5i
  • PXG 0311 P GEN3 PW-4i; Aerotech Steelfiber i95 stiff ; Std L/+0.75"/2 up
  • Vokey SM9 50F8 & 54S10 and SM8 58M8; Mitsubishi MMT 105 S in 50 & KBS 610 Wedge R+ in 54 & 58; Std L/+0.75"/1 up
  • Odyssey White Hot OG #1 Stroke Lab Putter; 35/74; stock Odyssey grip
  • JumboMax JMX UltraLite small on all clubs except putter

Rybo:

Thank you VERY much for doing this. I have always felt the same way with my clubs. Basically the longer clubs don't need to be too much longer but the short irons always feel like I am hunched over or not in a true athletic position. I am 6'-5" with a WTF of 40". I would love to experiment with this and am in the process of building another set of irons. Can you give me a ball park of where to start based off your findings? Thanks and look forward to a great conversation in and learning in this post.

Steve

While your WTF is more in proportion to someone who is 6' 7" using the method explained above to determine your lower length limit with the 64* lie angle is going to be of the utmost importance and you may have other body parts that make up some of the difference from your higher than normal WTF. I am a bit reluctant to advise a length since you fall pretty far outside the boundaries for your height and wtf. This is exactly why doing the low length limit fitting will be so important for you.

I was shocked to find I was a completely average 6' 4" individual when I had always assumed due to the fitting charts that I had short arms.

I am finding succes w your ideas. 6,1", 36 WTF and 59.5" high shoulder. Long torso. I am lengthening from 1.5 to 2". Using stiffer, longer and lighter shafts. Good results so far. Everything is better even just st getting used to the setup. Right now I am using a metric that comes out as 4.44% longer in shaft length- that Titleist MB as the standard - that is how it worked out. Driver slightly shorter at 47". Driving is longer and straighter. Go figure.

6' 1" and 36" WTF is within a 1/10" of being exactly here the math shows you should be for your height. You are quite the average 6' 1" individual. PW and gap wedge will probably fall around 36 3/8"

The proportions of arm length, leg length torso length are distributed around the averages that you showed in the charts. I don't think you really used those charts, except to support your idea that longer clubs would be better. The only problem I see is that you are looking at a small percentage of golfers. So small that equipment that supports extra long length clubs is hard to come by.

Looking at your long club experiment you stick with the .5" increments in length. I've seen Wishon and others move towards a smaller increment for taller golfers, I suppose to stay within the available equipment. I would think that the single length irons might be most appropriate for golfers that need longer clubs since the low lofted irons would remain at more manageable lengths.

What shafts and heads did you use in your experiment? What kind of swing weight or moi did you see? How did the 4 iron play? I would think that the total radius (arms + club) of the arc would limit accuracy the longer it is.

The proportions of arm length, leg length torso length are distributed around the averages that you showed in the charts. I don't think you really used those charts, except to support your idea that longer clubs would be better. The only problem I see is that you are looking at a small percentage of golfers. So small that equipment that supports extra long length clubs is hard to come by.

Looking at your long club experiment you stick with the .5" increments in length. I've seen Wishon and others move towards a smaller increment for taller golfers, I suppose to stay within the available equipment. I would think that the single length irons might be most appropriate for golfers that need longer clubs since the low lofted irons would remain at more manageable lengths.

What shafts and heads did you use in your experiment? What kind of swing weight or moi did you see? How did the 4 iron play? I would think that the total radius (arms + club) of the arc would limit accuracy the longer it is.

Actually I have a fully operational and mathematically generated chart that shows the proportions for shoulder height and arm length that used the direct measurements provided from the anthropometric charts. I am extremely reluctant to post it due to the last fiasco in the other thread.

I stuck with 1/2" increments because that is what the fitting gave me. I didn't dictate the fitting, the fitting dictated what would work!

If you do a search you will find I have done everything 1/8" to 1/2" increments. Played 3/8" for the last 6 years or so.

Here is a link where I went from single length to 1/8"

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1385016-my-single-length-experiment-evolved-into-18-length-progression/page__p__14210900#entry14210900

Why did neither work as well as what I have now? because the shorter clubs were still too short, I was still having to bend over too much, slump my shoulders, bend too much at the waist, etc etc etc. Hell the 1/8" literally just jammed all the clubs up to something that was still too short but this made them more playable. Still not right just more playable.

Currently using Cleveland CG16 T Spec heads and i95 Steelfibers. I also have jumbo grips on all clubs as I have pretty large hands, actually they are oversized to average for my height. The 4 iron is great! Long and straight, and unfortunately your comment of 'I would think that the total radius (arms + club) of the arc would limit accuracy the longer it is' is exactly reason us tall people have been having so many issues being fit properly. It's a preconceived idea. How about since are we taller we need longer clubs. This will make it easier to return the clubhead in its proper orientation!

Ordered another set of Steelfibers yesterday to put in a set of Bridgestone J40 DPC's. Shafts should be here Thursday but I'm headed out of town Friday morning so it may not be until next week before they are built.

I was in Pinehurst last week for a member guest. Used the clubs built a week earlier. Played courses 9, 7 & 2 and I led the field in eagles and birdies over the 3 rounds, 2 and 11 respectively. If I could have putted even just a bit better, could have easily doubled the birdie count. Also played two practice rounds on 9 & 7 and the clubs were phenomenal.

CXX

What do you notice about the arm length changes for people between 5' 4", 5' 9" and 6' 2"? There is a small change arm length. Now look at their shoulder height differences. There is a much greater change in this length. The shoulder length increases at a faster rate then arm length grows. This is why taller people have naturally higher wrist to floor measurements.

Shoulder height in conjunction with arm length determines what length club an individual will need just to reach the ground.

Rybo:

Steve

While your WTF is more in proportion to someone who is 6' 7" using the method explained above to determine your lower length limit with the 64* lie angle is going to be of the utmost importance and you may have other body parts that make up some of the difference from your higher than normal WTF. I am a bit reluctant to advise a length since you fall pretty far outside the boundaries for your height and wtf. This is exactly why doing the low length limit fitting will be so important for you.

I was shocked to find I was a completely average 6' 4" individual when I had always assumed due to the fitting charts that I had short arms.

I think I'll try this with a wedge. I'm also 6'5" with a 40" WTF (in bare feet).

You just put a bare 3 iron shaft into a wedge head? No grip?

This is a great representation of the rising lead shoulder at impact (figure d). For all golfers this point becomes starting point for the radius to the ground, taller golfers simply have much higher shoulders/ starting point and this length from the shoulders to the ground has to be accounted for otherwise they are forced to make themselves fit to the club.

rising lead shoulder.jpg

Here is the same as above in Hogan form. Lead shoulder is still rising, just his shoulders are about a one foot closer the ground.

272323673_hogansequence.jpg.4067ed42e6bde8af4e3b730c6547f489.jpg

Edited by rybo

Rybo:

Steve

I think I'll try this with a wedge. I'm also 6'5" with a 40" WTF (in bare feet).

You just put a bare 3 iron shaft into a wedge head? No grip?

yes a bare 3 iron shaft, no grip. It's for the purpose of fitting the length only. Needed something exceptionally long so I would ensure there was no chance I would come out of my natural posture.

When you build the club you will need a wedge shaft for the wedge head.

Great information and experimenting.

Assuming a wedge plays with a very high swing weight in this concept. Do you play everything else to "match" those, in terms of how the weight swings?

My thoughts exactly. Assume starting with lighter heads and choosing a sub 100g shaft would help? What about flex with these longer shafts? Move up in flex as a general rule or stay the same?

Ping G425 10.5
Ping G25 15/18
Srixon ZX7 4-PW
Vokey SM6 Raw 50,54,58
Odyssey 11 Tour Lined CS
Srixon Z-Star

Assuming a wedge plays with a very high swing weight in this concept. Do you play everything else to "match" those, in terms of how the weight swings?

if you have the large hands to go with the height the swing weight almost takes care of itself by using a midsize or larger grip with several under wraps.... it counter balances the effective higher swingweight feel.... it gives an overall higher weight but the swingweight if built without tip weights has been good for me... This is a very good thread by the way OP... one of the most informed regarding a minority slice of our game and comunity to be fitted. you are on to something great that is the root cause of myself vowing to fit myself form now on...

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I moved up a flex and lighter shafts. Used my standard mp64 heads and ignored swingweight. The higher swingweight seems to offset the lighter overall clubweight on a feel basis. I used 90 gram xstiff shafts and I was a Project X 5.5 or S300/S400 guy at standard lengths. Going w 50 gm xstiff in driver at 47. And 60ish gram xstiff shafts in fairway woods. Going up a flex seems like it works.

• Mizuno '21 CLK 19, 22 & 25; Fujikura Speeder EVO 75 HB Graphite S; Std L/L/L; sub for 5w, 4i & 5i
  • Vokey SM9 50F8 & 54S10 and SM8 58M8; Mitsubishi MMT 105 S in 50 & KBS 610 Wedge R+ in 54 & 58; Std L/+0.75"/1 up

Yes you absolutely have to go with stiffer shafts. An XX will drop down into the S range when going with 38" wedges. I have built many as I do get a lot of tall players. What you do want to watch is to not go crazy long in your long iron lengths.

By keeping all your wedges (and maybe even the 9 iron) at say 64 or 65 lie and the (same) length you determine to be the wedge starting point is sound, then by using the 1/2 degree lie change dropping down to the 4 iron you can keep these clubs from getting crazy long. I do feel the 1/2 inch for every 1/2 degree change is too much and may cause the long irons to be longer than needed.

Everything I do is about keeping the player in their strongest athletic address position - for every club, and RYBO has a very reasonable approach at a great starting point. Keeping these really tall players with high WTF really do require wedges up into the 38" range. It's not unreasonable as these guys have been squatting and bending over way too far with their +1" clubs all their life. Successfully fitting the very tall is not that hard if you understand all the parameters of a proper fitting - and building techniques.

When I tried single length irons I ported my wedges to remove weight. So my wedges are not as heavy as standard wedges, somewhere in he high 270's.

Here is a pic!

Don't be scared to think outside the box when it comes to fitting tall people. The fitting is already extreme so nothing is really off limits. Porting a wedge to me now seems so logical it's an afterthought. My wedges from here on in will have to have weight removed. Not a big deal just something needs to happen.

Shaft flex has been a bit more interesting. The Steelfiber i95's I'm currently playing are stiffs. They play a bit softer then I'm used to but by no means are they unplayable. Actually quite the opposite. I did order a set of X flex i95's as I thought they'd be a better fit. Time will tell. I have played X since I was 14 years old so for me to go down in flex and not really have an issue makes me think having a correct length is more important. With that said I have been trying many different shafts in the wedges. The gap wedge has a Recoil 95 Protoype F4. It's been very solid since putting it in. The sand wedge has had a few shafts and currently has an old Proforce 95 Tour shaft in it. Not too bad but it does seem to have more toe droop then the gap, it's at least noticeable. The lob wedge has a XP 95 Stiff and it's definitely too soft. I did order an extra wedge shaft with the Steelfiber's to try in a wedge.

Obviously some of this is still a work in progress but with the scores I've been putting up in the last two weeks I'm happy to keep trying different things. 67, 70, 78, 70 & 68. That's my last 5 rounds, the first 3 are from Pinehurst, the last two are my home course yesterday and today. These simply work and the proximity to the hole has been so good!

I think Dan and I differ in the idea that I want to ensure you have enough length for your proportions especially in the short clubs and what you do with the lie angle after that is not a big deal. Lie angle is just an adjustment to effect ball flight, it does not effect club length. I have no concern of giving a tall golfer a club that is too long, the chances of that are pretty slim to none if you do the high limit length test. And I've never seen a tall golfer with a club that was too long.

This is what I consider lie angle. The relationship of the sole of the club to centerline of the hosel.

When you look at it like this the length of the club is a constant and only the clubhead moves up and down. Changing lie angle doesn't really change hand height. If you start with a club that is too short changing lie angle has a completely different effect then when changing a lie angle with a club that is the correct length.

I have no concern of giving a tall golfer a club that is too long, the chances of that are pretty slim to none if you do the high limit length test. And I've never seen a tall golfer with a club that was too long.

It seems like it's one thing to be comfortable in a static stance, it's another to swing and hit the middle of the clubface

I have no concern of giving a tall golfer a club that is too long, the chances of that are pretty slim to none if you do the high limit length test. And I've never seen a tall golfer with a club that was too long.

It seems like it's one thing to be comfortable in a static stance, it's another to swing and hit the middle of the clubface

I'm only using the static set up position as a starting point to determine length. If you go back I did state I mimicked the impact position. This was to see if if there was enough length to at least keep the head square. I would totally expect most every tall golfer is going to need some degree of upright lie angles due to the dynamic move of the swing and toe droop. Again set length first then determine lie angle.

I'm 6'4 with long arms (a touch under 37 wrist to floor) but I use standard length clubs because growing up in used my dad's old clubs and he's only around 5'8. I got used to using standard length clubs and grooved my swing around it. I'm not sure if I'm bent over too much but I have "normal" knee flex at setup.

I've used clubs +1/2" and +1" but the standard length just feels natural as that is what I grew up using. I also play my driver a touch under standard at 45.25".

Bravo. That's more or less how I ended up at the club lengths I have. First set I had decades ago after I was fully grown was probably only +1.25" or +1.5". Bladed the hell out of some wedges with those, and my stance looked like I was playing defense in basketball. Now look at where I've settled. Next time I get a new lob wedge, it will probably be another eighth or quarter inch longer too. I'm 6'5" 230 lbs. and have a wrist to floor somewhere between 38 and 39 (depending on the measurement that day). My lie angles go from 67º in the lob wedge, to 66.5º in the other wedges, to 62º in my 5 iron and 61º in 3 Crossover iron. See length in sig.

Midsize grips, bigger hands/fingers, and stronger/heavier body frame all just seem to go natural with heavier clubs. The weakening of shaft flex is mitigated if you use lighter heads, so it's not really an issue. But think about it, if you take a D4 sand wedge and add 2.25 inches to the shaft, you've made the swing weight E7.5, which is really quite heavy. Compare that to the +2.25" in my sand wedge that is an E2 from Ping. That's only half as much change and not as much of an effect on shaft flex. That said, my sand wedge doesn't go very far for my swing speed, but boy does it ever go high and spin -- about 100-105 max and nearly as high as a lob wedge. By the time I'm at an 8 or 9 iron with their lighter D7/D8 swing weights, they still go high and stop on a dime, but the distances are more appropriate -- 150 for the 9 iron and low 160's for the 8 iron.

I think a second order consideration to WTF and shoulder height is the relative proportion that your torso (from hip joints to shoulder joints) contributes to your total height. The more your torso contributes to your total height, the more your torso will be cantilevered forward from the hip joints when in posture - all things being equal. By example, I will use my brother and I. My brother is 5'11" and has an inseam of 34." I am 6'1" with an inseam of 32". My shoulders are 2 inches higher than my brother, but, my legs are two inches shorter (and my hips 2" lower) than my brother. For the sake of discussion, let's assume my brother fits the model. Then, I would not fit the model and would tend to be more bent over than the model may predict for club length due to my out of ratio torso length. In my case, I think I have the legs of a 5"11" or so person but the torso of a circa 6'3" person - and, based on the club length experiments I have been doing, circa 1.5-2" over seems to get me in a good posture using the Titleist MB lie specs and club length as a standard (this length that I have been using likely is more fitting to a someone about 6'3" that fits the model (I think...)). You can take the concept to the extreme and say imagine a 6'2" guy with a 20" inseam and a tremendously long torso - he would be bent waaaay over using standard length clubs or even 1/2 inch over which is where many fittings would put him; however, he would need much longer clubs than the model would predict to get him in a Rory-esque type of posture if that is the goal. Of course we are talking about a small percentage of the small percentage of folks over 6' that have significantly long torsos (or the converse - short torsos).

What do you think? Does this make any sense?

• Like 1

I think a second order consideration to WTF and shoulder height is the relative proportion that your torso (from hip joints to shoulder joints) contributes to your total height. The more your torso contributes to your total height, the more your torso will be cantilevered forward from the hip joints when in posture - all things being equal. By example, I will use my brother and I. My brother is 5'11" and has an inseam of 34." I am 6'1" with an inseam of 32". My shoulders are 2 inches higher than my brother, but, my legs are two inches shorter (and my hips 2" lower) than my brother. For the sake of discussion, let's assume my brother fits the model. Then, I would not fit the model and would tend to be more bent over than the model may predict for club length due to my out of ratio torso length. In my case, I think I have the legs of a 5"11" or so person but the torso of a circa 6'3" person - and, based on the club length experiments I have been doing, circa 1.5-2" over seems to get me in a good posture using the Titleist MB lie specs and club length as a standard (this length that I have been using likely is more fitting to a someone about 6'3" that fits the model (I think...)). You can take the concept to the extreme and say imagine a 6'2" guy with a 20" inseam and a tremendously long torso - he would be bent waaaay over using standard length clubs or even 1/2 inch over which is where many fittings would put him; however, he would need much longer clubs than the model would predict to get him in a Rory-esque type of posture if that is the goal. Of course we are talking about a small percentage of the small percentage of folks over 6' that are have significantly long torsos (or the converse - short torsos).

What do you think? Does this make any sense?

This makes total sense. I have a very good friend who is 5' 8" who had some type of fusion lower back surgery and can not bend from his waist very well. He plays +1/2" or + 3/4" in his irons and wedges.

It seems everybody is focusing on their WTF measurements and while it is important it is only half of the necessary information needed to be fit correctly. Your shoulder height is the other half. The distance from your shoulder to the ground at a 64* lie angle is the minimum length that must be covered. Again shoulder height changes at a rate of more the 2:1 over the increase in arm length.

Something to consider is every 1/2" increase in club length only provides .450" change in hand height at a 64* lie angle. So lets say your hand height is 2" higher than 'standard' you would need a club that is almost 2 1/4" longer just to reach your hands. This is why it is so important to add club length liberally for taller golfers.

Using my height as an example

76" (6' 4") Height

60.88" Shoulder Height

-26.82" Total arm length including hand

34.06" Golfer hand height

67.736" Length from shoulder height to ground at 64*

-34.06" Golfer Hand Height

33.676" Club Grip Height needed at 64*

37.468" Club length provides a 33.676" hand height

Interestingly when doing the low limit length test I repeated at 38", per the anthropometric data and calculations the shortest I should be using is 37.468". Roughly a 1/2" difference, very close! Now I did reduce the sand wedge to 37.75" but not due to the chart, it just felt more user friendly. I repeated at 38" due to some variation in posture or body part sizes. While I think the chart can be useful it has limits due to being based on averages, doing the low length limit test accounts for all of the differences in body parts/posture we all have from averages and is ultimately a direct measurement of what you require.

The length of ones arm from the shoulder creates one radius and the club from the ground up creates another radius. At some point these two radius's have to meet up. You can either do it with additional club length or by contorting your body to fit the club. I'd much rather have sufficient club length and good posture/swing mechanics.

I'm 6'4 with long arms (a touch under 37 wrist to floor) but I use standard length clubs because growing up in used my dad's old clubs and he's only around 5'8. I got used to using standard length clubs and grooved my swing around it. I'm not sure if I'm bent over too much but I have "normal" knee flex at setup.

I've used clubs +1/2" and +1" but the standard length just feels natural as that is what I grew up using. I also play my driver a touch under standard at 45.25".

The aspect of playing what you have become used to/grew up playing can not be overlooked. I have been on something of a lengthening journey over the past 3-4 years changing increment lengths, lengthening clubs, single length, shafts, grips, etc. So for me to transition to what is now by far the longest length I have ever played, one would have to suspect those 3-4 years and many iterations of different builds has made it much easier. I can not say if jumping up in length all at once would have worked as well, just don't know. What I am playing now just feels so right and basically matches up with the anthropometric calculations for my height and the minimum length attained from the low limit length fitting.