Fitting Tall Golfers With NO Chart or Preconceived Ideas!

rybo

They do not, at least in all my calls to the customer service department. I used to play callaway irons but gave up on them as I'm not willing to except D8 swing weights.

Perhaps they stopped then? I have "L" stamped heads in the closet. Think they are about 5-6 grams lighter than the standard heads? Have some "H" stamps as well, but only in some wedges.

2024 Building In-progress

Qi10 Core Head 9* w/ AD-DI 6S  (I heart you AD DI and will never sway from you again)
Qi10 Tour 3W with shaft TBD
Callaway UW 17* with shaft TBD

Titleist TS2 19* Hybrid at 20* w/ PX Evenflow Blue 85 6.0

4-PW Srixon ZX7s w/ DG AMT White S300s
MG2 TW Grind 56/60 at 54/58
Spider Tour X3

There's a BIG difference between "HAVE TO" or "NEED TO" and CHOOSE to...

You can choose to play whatever you like, but don't try to justify it as have/need.

This is where we differ. My shoulder height in conjunction with arm length creates a limit. Taller people have higher hand heights. To ensure no excess bending or body contorting the club has to reach up to meet that limit, this is where the additional length comes in. I most definitely need to have longer lengths to make up for the higher hands. This is actually pretty simple stuff. The length of my arm from the shoulder + the length of the club has to = the distance to the ground. Give me a club that is too short and the only way to make it to the ground is to bend excessively.

Seriously, is someone putting you up to this?

Just like I need to have pants with a longer inseam because my legs are longer. Or I need to have a larger bicycle due to body proportions. I need to have a XL golf glove to fit my oversized hand. I need shoes in size 13 2E to fit my feet. I need longer clubs to reach my higher hand height

I could not agree more. I see this every time I get a tall player in for a fit. Just the opposite when a short player comes in. Guess what - they get shorter clubs.

Rybo, please continue your quest for the right length / lie fitting and when you finally reach all your athletic address goals you have done a wonderful job of self fitting. Keep right on going.

You are still ignoring what I asked... Feel free to actually give me an answer. What makes the 3 wood and the driver so different? If you hit the 3 wood at that length...why does the drive HAVE to be longer just because you are taller?
I'll play along Different lie angles. Fairway for the most part is off the ground and when on a tee it is very low, driver is off of a high tee. Driver has greater toe droop. etc All of these types of things + the additional hand height require a longer club. What I found is for the driver to attain it's proper orientation, level and square, I needed more length. This needing additional length is also true for the fairways. Trust me I have tried numerous short drivers, do a search and you will see.

Exactly. But yet you said it isn't possible to just adjust lie angles for an improper length, yet the only other difference between the fairway vs driver other than the length is the lie angle. You can't pick and choose what you want to go off of here. You stated already that a club that is too short cannot be adjusted through lie angles alone yet that's exactly what the difference is between a drive and a fairway when the lengths are the same. You use a fairway just fine it appears, and the only difference is a shorter length with a different lie angle to compensate. You can't just say a driver is too short, because that is exactly how a fairway is built.

And no, toe droop is not a viable justification here. We adjust lie angles only for tow droop. If you really want to get technical, you potentially open yourself up for even more toe droop as the club gets longer.

Again, there's a big difference between "choose" and "need". You just claimed you can swing a shorter length, you do so with a fairway. I'm letting you choose to shoot your own theories into swiss cheese here, you just don't want to accept it.

This is one of those cases where a lie angle change can fix some length issues, but we are talking about a very tall man - and a lie angle change alone cannot get this man standing tall enough where he can actually stand athletic. A 36 inch club (standard wedge length) set to 64 lie angle is way too short for a 6'5" man. Upright this club even 3 degrees and the 36" club is still - simply too short. Yes he may hit it better, but the physical dimensions of the club are still too short. Then to top it off - some wedges are only 35 inches and 64 lie. Not even close to working for a tall man.

You have to get your body athletic (regardless of what size of a man you are) and length and lie both play strong roles in achieving this athletic address. To claim otherwise just doesn't seem very logical.

There has been talk of a heavier feel that these longer clubs will create, but the feedback from my tall players is simply that they are big men, and the little extra weight is not troublesome for them whatsoever. If I try to swing this I do find it difficult and would completely tire me out over a round, but the extra grams due to the longer club is in most cases negligible (to them).

You are still ignoring what I asked... Feel free to actually give me an answer. What makes the 3 wood and the driver so different? If you hit the 3 wood at that length...why does the drive HAVE to be longer just because you are taller?
I'll play along Different lie angles. Fairway for the most part is off the ground and when on a tee it is very low, driver is off of a high tee. Driver has greater toe droop. etc All of these types of things + the additional hand height require a longer club. What I found is for the driver to attain it's proper orientation, level and square, I needed more length. This needing additional length is also true for the fairways. Trust me I have tried numerous short drivers, do a search and you will see.

Exactly. But yet you said it isn't possible to just adjust lie angles for an improper length, yet the only other difference between the fairway vs driver other than the length is the lie angle. You can't pick and choose what you want to go off of here. You stated already that a club that is too short cannot be adjusted through lie angles alone yet that's exactly what the difference is between a drive and a fairway when the lengths are the same. You use a fairway just fine it appears, and the only difference is a shorter length with a different lie angle to compensate. You can't just say a driver is too short, because that is exactly how a fairway is built.

And no, toe droop is not a viable justification here. We adjust lie angles only for tow droop. If you really want to get technical, you potentially open yourself up for even more toe droop as the club gets longer.

Again, there's a big difference between "choose" and "need". You just claimed you can swing a shorter length, you do so with a fairway. I'm letting you choose to shoot your own theories into swiss cheese here, you just don't want to accept it.

This is one of those cases where a lie angle change can fix some length issues, but we are talking about a very tall man - and a lie angle change alone cannot get this man standing tall enough where he can actually stand athletic. A 36 inch club (standard wedge length) set to 64 lie angle is way too short for a 6'5" man. Upright this club even 3 degrees and the 36" club is still - simply too short. Yes he may hit it better, but the physical dimensions of the club are still too short. Then to top it off - some wedges are only 35 inches and 64 lie. Not even close to working for a tall man.

You have to get your body athletic (regardless of what size of a man you are) and length and lie both play strong roles in achieving this athletic address. To claim otherwise just doesn't seem very logical.

There has been talk of a heavier feel that these longer clubs will create, but the feedback from my tall players is simply that they are big men, and the little extra weight is not troublesome for them whatsoever. If I try to swing this I do find it difficult and would completely tire me out over a round, but the extra grams due to the longer club is in most cases negligible (to them).

You should probably read back through the thread, I addressed the shorter length clubs already. ;) You are trying to take from context that talked about fairway woods and apply it to wedges, doesn't work that way.

Qi10 Core Head 9* w/ AD-DI 6S  (I heart you AD DI and will never sway from you again)

Spider Tour X3

You should probably read back through the thread, I addressed the shorter length clubs already. ;) You are trying to take from context that talked about fairway woods and apply it to wedges, doesn't work that way.

Exactly the opposite Golfrnut....Everything I go back and read has you bringing up the Driver and FW wood length issues to try and prove your point. Us tall guys (which you at 5'-11" really do not know much about) have the most trouble with the shorter clubs. Let's keep the focus there for a while as we can deal with the longer sticks but the low end is where the main issue is.

Ping G425 10.5
Ping G25 15/18
Srixon ZX7 4-PW
Vokey SM6 Raw 50,54,58
Odyssey 11 Tour Lined CS
Srixon Z-Star

Actually, I have a great idea for you...Just leave the thread and go post your negativity somewhere else. We are trying to discuss issues and fitting for people generally over 6'-3" and over or so. If you are still going to continue to say that I can play standard length irons (especially the shorter ones) with a more upright lie angle and they will be fine then we are at odds. Us taller folks have already been down that road too many times.

Ping G425 10.5
Ping G25 15/18
Srixon ZX7 4-PW
Vokey SM6 Raw 50,54,58
Odyssey 11 Tour Lined CS
Srixon Z-Star

Exactly the opposite Golfrnut....Everything I go back and read has you bringing up the Driver and FW wood length issues to try and prove your point. Us tall guys (which you at 5'-11" really do not know much about) have the most trouble with the shorter clubs. Let's keep the focus there for a while as we can deal with the longer sticks but the low end is where the main issue is.

Read it again...

If you read the thread, you'll notice those posts were direct replies to Rybo's thoughts on having to play an absurdly long driver due to height.

I also posted a pretty clear response to bladehunter earlier about issues with the shorter irons.

Or you can continue to only read what you want...your choice.

Spider Tour X3

Rybo has posted many different opinions on his thoughts across the board. WE as tall golfers can take it with a grain of salt. I personally do not have that much of an issue with the longer irons and woods as far as length goes. I can however see at least a few instances where you are calling BS on his theories with this longer clubs. Fine. I personally feel that his longer progressions all the way through the top end may be a bit much. That being said, I am all for trying a longer lengths on the short end to feel more comfortable with an athletic set up there and gradually progressing toward the top end.

I may be the only one but it seems like you are trying to debunk the entire theory of having longer than normal (normal being no more than +1" or so on the short side) and thinking that lie angle alone will FIX us taller guys. I personally agree with what Rybo is saying that lie angle does not "lengthen" short clubs for the taller golfer.

Feel free to chime in here to prove your point but if I play a 36" SW at +2* upright or more does not magically "fix" the length issue.

How do you think that bending a wedge that is 36" long more upright somehow makes it play longer? It does not

Ping G425 10.5
Ping G25 15/18
Srixon ZX7 4-PW
Vokey SM6 Raw 50,54,58
Odyssey 11 Tour Lined CS
Srixon Z-Star

Rybo has posted many different opinions on his thoughts across the board. WE as tall golfers can take it with a grain of salt. I personally do not have that much of an issue with the longer irons and woods as far as length goes. I can however see at least a few instances where you are calling BS on his theories with this longer clubs. Fine. I personally feel that his longer progressions all the way through the top end may be a bit much. That being said, I am all for trying a longer lengths on the short end to feel more comfortable with an athletic set up there and gradually progressing toward the top end.

I may be the only one but it seems like you are trying to debunk the entire theory of having longer than normal (normal being no more than +1" or so on the short side) and thinking that lie angle alone will FIX us taller guys. I personally agree with what Rybo is saying that lie angle does not "lengthen" short clubs for the taller golfer.

Feel free to chime in here to prove your point but if I play a 36" SW at +2* upright or more does not magically "fix" the length issue.

How do you think that bending a wedge that is 36" long more upright somehow makes it play longer? It does not

If it's coming across that way, my apologies, I will say directly that it is not. I've tried to clarify that a few times through the thread. I addressed that directly with regards to the shorter irons. Taller folks that have a higher wrist to floor NEED longer clubs, will not dispute that. But like you, it's a bit much to say they ALL have to be lengthened out proportionally. Shorter irons, absolutely, go for it. Is there really a need to add more length to clubs that are already longer than ones you already play? To a point, maybe so. But, it also sounds like we are on the same page somewhat where it just isn't needed either. You can get a club that works and puts the golfer into a good position, and does not have a ton of extra length to it. Why make it harder to make solid contact than it already is? Adding length to longer clubs doesn't progress the game forward, it only makes it harder for the majority to enjoy the game. OEMs already produce 45-46" drivers, and it causes nothing but contact issues for almost everyone, no matter what their height is.

I think you'll find our thoughts are a lot more similar than they are different...

Spider Tour X3

When you change the lie of a club, aren't you trying to match it to your swing? Not the other way around.

If a club is playing at the correct lie angle for me, and I bend it more upright because it's too short, that isn't going to suddenly change my swing path. Isn't the club just going to be too upright for me?

• Like 1

When you change the lie of a club, aren't you trying to match it to your swing? Not the other way around.

If a club is playing at the correct lie angle for me, and I bend it more upright because it's too short, that isn't going to suddenly change my swing path. Isn't the club just going to be too upright for me?

No, not necessarily. This is why it doesn't make sense to talk in absolute, as it really doesn't exist. We have been changing lie angles for decades to help with ball flight, and that doesn't necessarily mean to keep the scoring lines parallel at impact. Tilting one way or another, can be done on purpose to help manipulate flight to a desired outcome.

Spider Tour X3

If it's coming across that way, my apologies, I will say directly that it is not. I've tried to clarify that a few times through the thread. I addressed that directly with regards to the shorter irons. Taller folks that have a higher wrist to floor NEED longer clubs, will not dispute that. But like you, it's a bit much to say they ALL have to be lengthened out proportionally. Shorter irons, absolutely, go for it. Is there really a need to add more length to clubs that are already longer than ones you already play? To a point, maybe so. But, it also sounds like we are on the same page somewhat where it just isn't needed either. You can get a club that works and puts the golfer into a good position, and does not have a ton of extra length to it. Why make it harder to make solid contact than it already is? Adding length to longer clubs doesn't progress the game forward, it only makes it harder for the majority to enjoy the game. OEMs already produce 45-46" drivers, and it causes nothing but contact issues for almost everyone, no matter what their height is.

I think you'll find our thoughts are a lot more similar than they are different...

Thank you. This sounds much more like the conversation I would like for us to have. I personally think there is no reason to go longer than necessary but just trying to find the best "middle ground" to have us taller folks in the best athletic position across the board. My main goal is to find the ideal lengths to start with for the irons, or more specifically the shorter irons. Never really felt that the 5I and above were really an issue. I do want to find the best starting point for myself being 6'5" and WTF of 40". What is the best starting point with the irons to fit us taller folks? Do we continue to go to Big Box stores and have them hand us a 6 or 7 Iron for fitting only to walk out with the shorter irons feeling less than optimal?

Ping G425 10.5
Ping G25 15/18
Srixon ZX7 4-PW
Vokey SM6 Raw 50,54,58
Odyssey 11 Tour Lined CS
Srixon Z-Star

Thank you. This sounds much more like the conversation I would like for us to have. I personally think there is no reason to go longer than necessary but just trying to find the best "middle ground" to have us taller folks in the best athletic position across the board. My main goal is to find the ideal lengths to start with for the irons, or more specifically the shorter irons. Never really felt that the 5I and above were really an issue. I do want to find the best starting point for myself being 6'5" and WTF of 40". What is the best starting point with the irons to fit us taller folks? Do we continue to go to Big Box stores and have them hand us a 6 or 7 Iron for fitting only to walk out with the shorter irons feeling less than optimal?

In my opinion no, you find someone that is intelligent enough to know to account for those things...and I have little faith in big box stores as a whole. But, there are fitters out there that work outside of the standard one-iron fittings. Are they as readily available? No, but they do exist. The problem is educating both sides, the golfer has to know they need more attention and the fitter has to know to give them that.

As I remarked earlier in the thread, moving into fitters that use components isn't all that bad of an idea either. Some of the bigger component makers make this a way easier process because their equipment is built with a more robust set of options for fittings(lighter starting head weights, weight chambers, etc). But I can see the other side, some do not want a club that says Wishon, Alpha, etc...they want TM, Callaway, Nike, etc.

Spider Tour X3

Although golfnut is right about not necessarily needing excessive lengths in the long irons and woods, this really is an issue to be worked out in a fitting. His point of the loft of the club and the length being independent is the basis for different length progressions including single length clubs. In any case, club length is a parameter that should be fitted to the golfer. It is one of the first ones, where the quality of the strike (where on the club face you hit the ball) determines length. If you hit the very long clubs on the screws, more power to you.

The problem is that excessive length clubs have caused problems for many individuals. That and club manufacturers produce components that are problematic at longer lengths. Maybe a person can find an individual solution with longer lengths and the equipment available, maybe not. The percentage of the golfing population that fit into this tall people category is too small to cater to.

The only thing that I am convinced of is that the short irons have to be longer for taller (and high WTF) players. We don't want to see people adopting George Archer's posture.

Since the lead shoulder is the center of the swing as can be seen here

Now let's take two average golfers of equal talent, one is 5' 9" and the other is 6' 4". They have average shoulder heights of 54.6" and 60.8" respectively. This is a 6.2" difference. They have arm lengths of 24.1" and 26.6" respectively. A difference of 2.5".

If we ask both of these golfers to hit the same 45" driver they are going to get completely different results based on body proportions. The taller golfers swing originates 6.2" higher then the average golfer. The taller golfer using this club will have a steeper swing as the starting point is higher and since arm length only made up 2.5" of the change in shoulder height. There is still a missing 3.7" of length + the starting point being 6.2" higher.

This is why I believe taller golfers need longer clubs throughout the bag.

So when I made the comment for average height people to go stand on a box and swing your driver and see what happens I was serious. Doing so will put your shoulder in the same starting point of someone who is exceptionally tall and you will instantly realize a 45" driver that used to feel correct or maybe even a little long is now quite short and likely won't even reach the ground in the same spot. Surely the head orientation will not be anything like it was.

Now let's take two average golfers of equal talent, one is 5' 9" and the other is 6' 4". They have average shoulder heights of 54.6" and 60.8" respectively. This is a 6.2" difference. They have arm lengths of 24.1" and 26.6" respectively. A difference of 2.5".

If we ask both of these two golfers to hit the same 45" driver they are going to get completely different results based on body proportions. The taller golfers swing originates 6.2" higher then the average golfer. The taller golfer using this club will have a steeper swing as the starting point is higher and since arm length only made up 2.5" of the change in shoulder height. There is still a missing 3.7" of length + the starting point being 6.2" higher.

So when I made the comment for average height people to go stand on a box and swing your driver and see what happens I was serious. Doing so will put your shoulder in the same starting point of someone who is exceptionally tall and you will instantly realize a 45" driver that used to feel correct or maybe even a little long is now quite short and likely won't even reach the ground in the same spot. Surely the head orientation will not be anything like it was.

Wouldn't you agree that club length should be determined by a fitting for an individual?

If we ask both of these two golfers to hit the same 45" driver they are going to get completely different results based on body proportions. The taller golfers swing originates 6.2" higher then the average golfer. The taller golfer using this club will have a steeper swing as the starting point is higher and since arm length only made up 2.5" of the change in shoulder height. There is still a missing 3.7" of length + the starting point being 6.2" higher.

Wouldn't you agree that club length should be determined by a fitting for an individual?

Absolutely! That's why the title of the thread is 'Fitting Tall Golfers'!

This is why I came up with the way to fit for both high and low limits for irons using the low and high length limit tests. This ensures the correct length for both the short clubs and the long irons.

For the drivers and fairway woods the additional length to the ground has to be accounted for, same as in the irons. If it is not the golfer is forced to make up the missing length by moving the body lower in some manner to get the lead shoulder low enough to make the club work as intended. It's much easier to recognize the missing length in the wedges, but it still exists with the woods. It does not matter that the club is already plenty long, what matters is getting the head in the correct orientation at impact.

Now for me I was able to get the clubhead in the best orientation FOR ME when using a 46.5" driver, a 44 1/4", 3 wood and a 43 3/4" 5 wood. This is no where near the total 3.7" of missing length brought on by my shoulder height and arm length.

I am 6' 4' golfer, playing off a UK 5 handicap, and I would like to begin by thanking Rybo (the OP) for all of the incredibly useful information (both verbal and visual) that he has taken the trouble to share.

Here is where I am in terms of club specifications.

I started playing golf in the Far East and had clubs which were too short and too flat for me ever to become consistent. As, for geographical reasons, I have never had access to a knowledgeable fitter it has been a case of trial and error. I started building my own irons but they were too long as they were the solution to poor posture - too much weight over my heels and an upper body which was too upright. When I discovered that less knee flex, a more pronounced bend from the hips and my weight through my shoe laces led to improved compression with my irons, I built my clubs around this improved posture.

I am a swinger of the club and have a WTF of 38.25" and am of the opinion my height 'is all in my legs'. My 3 iron measures 39.75" and my three wedges all 36.75". I build with 3/8" between clubs without grips. I do not worry about head weights or shaft weight (currently DG R300'S). What I do is build a 6 iron to length and then check impact position - sometimes I need to add weight to achieve a consistent centre strike: I have never had to worry about reducing the weight. When I have a consistent centre strike I weigh the club and then build the 3-PW with 6 gram increments - also known as the poor man's MOI. I use tungsten powder and corks when adding weight to a club. The person who bends my irons has my lie angle details and the only one I can remember is for the three wedges which is 66 degrees.

It might surprise some, but my woods are not over length. My driver is 44.75" and my 3 wood is an inch shorter and the 5 wood an inch shorter than the 3 wood. With each of these the final weight of the club is simply what feels comfortable in my hands. (I have played drivers in the D0 to D2 range.) With these lengths I do not feel I am bending down to the ball. My posture is comfortable and the strikes are in the middle.

My putter is 35.5" long.

I know very little about standard lengths and swing weights but what I do know is every club in my bag works for me. This means when I play, I can concentrate on the two biggest issues which impact my score - full width on the back swing and a full shoulder turn.

• Thanks 1

I am a swinger of the club and have a WTF of 38.25" and am of the opinion my height 'is all in my legs'. My 3 iron measures 39.75" and my three wedges all 36.75". I build with 3/8" between clubs without grips. I do not worry about head weights or shaft weight (currently DG R300'S). What I do is build a 6 iron to length and then check impact position - sometimes I need to add weight to achieve a consistent centre strike: I have never had to worry about reducing the weight. When I have a consistent centre strike I weigh the club and then build the 3-PW with 6 gram increments - also known as the poor man's MOI. I use tungsten powder and corks when adding weight to a club. The person who bends my irons has my lie angle details and the only one I can remember is for the three wedges which is 66 degrees.

It might surprise some, but my woods are not over length. My driver is 44.75" and my 3 wood is an inch shorter and the 5 wood an inch shorter than the 3 wood. With each of these the final weight of the club is simply what feels comfortable in my hands. (I have played drivers in the D0 to D2 range.) With these lengths I do not feel I am bending down to the ball. My posture is comfortable and the strikes are in the middle.

I personally am not surprised at all. The makeup seems very logical to me. You have also figured out that you do not need to go longer in the woods, if fact you are shorter than most stock OEM lengths on your driver, which probably offers you a lot of benefits. It can absolutely be done with very good results. Could you get away with shorter fairways? Maybe. But you also may not be afforded the luxury of getting the length vs lie correct to allow that for you either.

Spider Tour X3

I personally am not surprised at all. The makeup seems very logical to me. You have also figured out that you do not need to go longer in the woods, if fact you are shorter than most stock OEM lengths on your driver, which probably offers you a lot of benefits. It can absolutely be done with very good results. Could you get away with shorter fairways? Maybe. But you also may not be afforded the luxury of getting the length vs lie correct to allow that for you either.

With my three and five wood, if I had an issue with the lie angles not suiting the length, I would go to Plan B. This would be use Tom Wishon's bendable hosel woods.

With my three and five wood, if I had an issue with the lie angles not suiting the length, I would go to Plan B. This would be use Tom Wishon's bendable hosel woods.

I like your style ;)

Spider Tour X3

I am 6' 4' golfer, playing off a UK 5 handicap, and I would like to begin by thanking Rybo (the OP) for all of the incredibly useful information (both verbal and visual) that he has taken the trouble to share.

Here is where I am in terms of club specifications.

I started playing golf in the Far East and had clubs which were too short and too flat for me ever to become consistent. As, for geographical reasons, I have never had access to a knowledgeable fitter it has been a case of trial and error. I started building my own irons but they were too long as they were the solution to poor posture - too much weight over my heels and an upper body which was too upright. When I discovered that less knee flex, a more pronounced bend from the hips and my weight through my shoe laces led to improved compression with my irons, I built my clubs around this improved posture.

My putter is 35.5" long.

I know very little about standard lengths and swing weights but what I do know is every club in my bag works for me. This means when I play, I can concentrate on the two biggest issues which impact my score - full width on the back swing and a full shoulder turn.

Thank you for the accolades! It's great to hear feedback that all of this information is reaching the taller community! I will continue to help taller golfers any way I can.

It's great you took it upon yourself to build your own clubs. Sometimes doing it yourself is the only way to get things done right! Starting golf in the Far East must have been a wild experience. In general, the population is quite a bit shorter.

Outstanding that you have a bag of clubs that work for you!

I don't want to get off topic on a great thread but was wondering how wide a stance you other bigger, taller players take with your longer set up.

When I was getting fit for my irons (I'm 2" over) my fitter mentioned how narrow I was. My shoulder width was about 9" wider than my stance. That really surprised me. I started going about 23" with my stance at the same time ( with full shots ) and it improved my ball striking.

No, not necessarily. This is why it doesn't make sense to talk in absolute, as it really doesn't exist. We have been changing lie angles for decades to help with ball flight, and that doesn't necessarily mean to keep the scoring lines parallel at impact. Tilting one way or another, can be done on purpose to help manipulate flight to a desired outcome.

Right, to help with ball flight. But it's not going to fix a length issue.

Right, to help with ball flight. But it's not going to fix a length issue.

Read back through the thread...

Spider Tour X3