scoring average for different college divisions

Ok, I have been wondering this for a while. From some of you guys who have gone through the recruiting process, what kind of scoring average do you need to have to get into different divisions, say for your junior year. My scoring average last year (as a freshman) was 79.75, any thoughts on what division I should be looking at.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Small DII or any DIII school would be realistic.

Although, I would never tell anyone to NOT send in resumes to DI coaches - it never hurts. If your grades are exceptional talk to any coach you want.

Edit: Hey just saw that avg. was for your Frosh season. Hopefully you can drop a couple strokes on that and if you're avg. is in the 75 range you can talk to any coach you want. You're not going to be a top recruit or anything, but you can realistically get a spot on a DI school.

Now of course, this is the trap I think a lot of players fall into.

If you end up averaging around 75 or 76 - you're better off going to a decent DII school and PLAYING. You don't wanna be stuck doing nothing, but feeling cool that you're on a DI squad.

I play div 2 golf and im a freshman and my scoring average was 74.0 and i had the 3 best on the team and our team went to nationals last year and came 17th, so im guessing if your average was somewhere between 77-75 when your going to be going into school you would probably be able to get into like a pretty decent div 2 school but if you have any connections or anything div 1 would be ideal.

Good luck and keep practising

if you have any other questions feel free to PM me

These standards seem pretty low IMO. You wouldn't get a sniff of a scholarship with those #'s at our local DivisionII school. Of course our DII shool has produced several successful PGA pros. Scores are also only relative to USGA ratings. Handicap and junior golf achievements are more indicative of your true ability. You should play in as many junior tournaments as possible during your high school career to develope the highest national rating as possible. And bust your butt in the class room for a respectable gpa.

These standards seem pretty low IMO. You wouldn't get a sniff of a scholarship with those #'s at our local DivisionII school. Of course our DII shool has produced several successful PGA pros. Scores are also only relative to USGA ratings. Handicap and junior golf achievements are more indicative of your true ability. You should play in as many junior tournaments as possible during your high school career to develope the highest national rating as possible. And bust your butt in the class room for a respectable gpa.

Handicaps are the last thing a coach is gonna look. I know several top juniors (Top 50 in Golfweek) that don't even have USGA Handicaps. Handicaps are related to recreational play. Scoring averages show what you can do in competition.

There's a reason that professional players aren't ranked by handicaps, but rather scoring averages.

I ended up going to a D-1 school on a partial scholarship. My scoring average my senior year was b/w 35-36 (we had 9-hole matches), won a state championship, and played in the U.S. Junior (the summer before my senior year). And I must say my scholarship was "partial" and the school was no where near the high caliber teams in the nation. Granted we did make it to NCAA Regionals a few times, but it was very hard for us to compete.

Just a quick kinda numbers crunch:

USC who was a top 3 team in the Nation had scoring averages from 70.89-76.33.

The 70.89 was from Matthew Giles the top ranked player in the Nation as well.

So take that as your lowest tournament scoring average in the NCAA (if not the lowest close enough to it).

That 70.89 would have ranked 96th on the PGA Tour.

The difference in divisions for the most part is quality of competition obviously and quality of courses.

So a 70.89 scoring average in DII or DIII doesn't necessarily make you a player who will be a top 5 guy on a DI Team.

Coming out of highschool I would think you would want to be sub 75 at least for DI, 75-79 for DII, and 76-82 for DIII.

But again, it depends where your going, some DI schools will take you at 77 average, some won't even look at you...it all depends where you apply, what they are looking for, etc.

It really all depends where you go. I know that there are some schools that play in all really tough tournaments on tough courses so a 73-75 would be a pretty good score, while others if you're not shooting around par, you're pretty far behind. Definitely have good grades though because I'm not the best golfer (or even best freshman) on the team, not by far, but my grades are really good so the coach never has to worry about me. Our team isn't the most competitive D1 team (Air Force Academy) but our top three guys can usually shoot under par on any course. Some of the teams we've played have had guys shoot like -18 for a 54 hole event, and they probably wouldn't be the top guys at some other top-tier programs. Good luck!

Here is the scoring average of the top 5 players from team in the various divisions:

DI- University of Minnesota- Ranked 50th

1. 73.57

2. 74.21

3. 74.37

4. 74.58

5. 75

DII- Missouri Southern State- Ranked 55th

1. 72.6

2. 74.7

3. 76

4. 76.6

5. 77

DIII- Hamilton College- Ranked 50th

1. 75.38

2. 75.92

3. 78

4. 78.83

5. 79.07

Here is the scoring average of the top 5 players from team in the various divisions:

DI- University of Minnesota- Ranked 50th

1. 73.57

2. 74.21

3. 74.37

4. 74.58

5. 75

DII- Missouri Southern State- Ranked 55th

1. 72.6

2. 74.7

3. 76

4. 76.6

5. 77

DIII- Hamilton College- Ranked 50th

1. 75.38

2. 75.92

3. 78

4. 78.83

5. 79.07

I think it's too tough to compare schools this way. There are tons of examples of kids who average 72 on some teams who play less than stellar courses, while kids who play at upper echelon schools who average more along 76 or 77 just because they play much tougher golf courses.

As a father who's son just got a college golf scholarship, there is a huge learning curve for those that are not already well versed in all the do's and don'ts of getting onto a college golf team. Demonstrating your scoring ability against other good players is perhaps one of the most important aspects that will get you noticed (i.e., unless you are among the 100 high school players in the country....you need to knock on the coaches door, not wait for the other way around).

Two important resources we were able to utilize that we obtained as a free annual subscription with annual membership to AJGA (you should still be able to get a subscription even if you're not an AJGA member):

1) Access the Expanded PING Guide/Golfstat Report at www.collegegolf.com (Ping American College Golf Guide)

2) The Prep Report is available at http://www.golfstatresults.com/public/prep...login/login.cfm.

I'll give examples what each one shows you below (if you move your mouse over the bottom of the slideshow, you will see the individual slides that you can selectively look at since the slideshow is kind of quick):

1) Ping American College Golf Guide - An important resource that allows you to select colleges based on Division (I, II, III, NAIA, etc), 4-yr or 2-yr, by Conference, or by State. I'll go through a simple selection for Div I & II in Texas and show you what the first selection on the list has for information (school information, tuition, etc, and golf coach/team information) - info for contacting a coach (see the slideset below).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29367025@N05/...086545644/show/

2) Golfstat Prep Report - Now this is really cool because you can use your golf scoring average to search for school and select if their #1, 2, 3, 4, or 5 player has =, <, or > the chosen score you provide, so you can see where your scoring average fits in with which schools. It also shows how many players are in each college grade (Freshman, Sophomore, Junior, Senior). One way that can be used if for instance, Univ. Texas-San Antonio has 7 seniors in 2008, so in 2009 they'll be looking to pick up a huge number of players (most schools don't pick up more than 2-3 in any given year, if that many).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29367025@N05/...045685155/show/

I hope this helps. Regards.

GHIN Index 12.9
LH Epic Flash Driver-LH, 10.5*, Project X EvenFlow Riptide 50 (Light)
LH Callaway Rogue 5-wood (18*), 7-wood (20*); Aldila Synergy 60-Reg
LH Callaway Rogue ST Pro 4-AW, Recoil Dart 75 F3
LH Cleveland RTX 50*, 54*, 58*
LH Odyssey Double Wide Stroke Lab Putter

Like others have said it really depends on where you go. There are some DIII schools that are better than some DI schools. Take a look at golfstat.com and you can see the adjusted scoring average and average drop score for the top teams in each division. Of course you can't get a direct comparison because of the differences in course, but this does give you an idea to some degree.

Taylor Made M2 9.5* Atmos Tour Spec Blue 6
Taylor Made M2 Tour 15* Atmos Tour Spec Blue 7
Titleist 913H 19* Diamana White Board
Taylor Made P760 4-P X100
Ping Glide 52
Vokey SM5 56 & 60
Cameron IBBF Laguna 2.5

I'm heading to a DI school in the Horizon League this fall on full tuition with a high school average of 37 for nine holes and a fourth place PA state finish (after leading after day one). I signed up with a recruiting service (College Prospects of America) to help get some exposure, but really the best thing I did was play in as many big tournaments as I could afford. State Junior, PGA Junior Series, US Junior and PGA Junior Qualifiers.

Division I college coaches DO NOT CARE about high school scores, unless you get to a level like the state championship. Nine hole scores aren't very reflective of a golfer's ability to grind out a six hour round of eighteen holes. The best thing you can do is play in as many big events against good golfers as possible, then contact a s***load of coaches and see what happens. Like 99% percent of us, if you're not a big shot, you have to be proactive with your college search.

If anyone has any questions about recruiting and such, feel free to PM me. I remember how lost I was at the beginning of the process