Sharing an Unforgettable Experience w/ the GolfWRX Community

dpb5031

OP,

When did Haley start golf and was she a natural right away?

Also curious what other sports she used to play. thanks!

Both of my girls played soccer, baseball/softball, and basketball starting young. They were also exposed to golf occasionally since I played and belonged to a club. Haley got really into lacrosse starting at age 10 or 11 and was very good at it mostly because she could run fast and score. My older daughter got into rowing crew which was a great experience for her.

At around age 8 we noticed that Haley had a knack for golf. Her arms didn't go soft and collapse at the top like many youngsters and she seemed to have more speed/power than most, but she only came to the range occasionally.

When she was 10 she played her first 9 hole tournament and shot 53 from the forward tees with no caddy. The following year at age 11 was when we really got going with US Kids local and then regionals. She was not groomed to play only golf from a young age like is so commonplace in the post-Tiger era.

Haley did not play high school golf because she played lacrosse which is in the same season here in NJ. She also ran sprints on the winter track team. On the national level there are a lot of girls who are better players than her, but I think she has more upside than most because she hasn't been at it full time like most of the top junior players. We'll see...

I would say she was somewhat of a natural because of general athleticism, but also because she has always been very "coachable." When she was 13 we started with Slicefixer. Before that I was teaching her the basics as best I could, learning a lot from the instructional forums here.

There's no perfect recipe as each kid is different and will respond differently to coaching, encouragement, motivation, etc. You also cannot expect perfect linear progression. There are lots of ups and downs, highs/lows, and varying degrees of interest and motivation along the way.

Thanks for the insight. Am always curious how great junior golfers started out. Much appreciated.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Holy Smokes! What an awesome experience. I'm hoping my daughter will take to the game as well so she can afford me these opportunities and hopefully be my retirement plan. haha jk. Great job OP, you've obviously raised a great athlete and kind heart-ed daughter.

Best of luck to her at Elon. A good friend of mine for highschool went there on a soccer scholarship. He couldn't say enough good things about their athletics and the education he got.

Awesome story and experience. Who is your daughter's teacher?

Wk

Titleist TSR3 Diamana White Stiff

TM Stealth2 Plus 3, 5Wood Ventus Black TR 7S

Titleist T200U 2 and 3 iron Mitsubishi Tensei Whte 8S 

Titleist T100 4-PW AMTWhite S

Vokey SM10 50, 54, 58  AMT White

Scotty Super Select NP (ordered)

Scotty Tour Rat

PROV1 Left Dash

Awesome story and experience. Who is your daughter's teacher?

Wk

Geoff Jones...a.k.a. Slicefixer here on GolfWRX... treats her like a daughter.

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

What a great experience, but an experience rewarded with hard work for a great cause. Congrats to you both.

Taylormade SIM2 MAX 9* AutoFlex 505xx 

Taylormade SIM 5 RIP X 85TX

Srixon ZX 20* Recoil 95X

Srixon ZX5 4-6 DGTI X100

Srixon ZX7 7-PW DGTI X100
Taylormade MG2 TW 52/56/60 S400 TI
Kevin Burns 9305LN LAGP One35

Great post and what an amazing experience.

What all did you get autographed by Jack and Rick?

We're not big autograph seekers/collectors, but when she was done playing they brought us into the clubhouse and gave each kid this beautiful framed, matted, and autographed photo:

My wife and I enjoyed speaking with Jack and Barbara. We did not ask for autographs, just simply enjoyed their company for a few minutes. Jack even asked Lauri (my wife) to hold his sunglasses while he posed for a photo with someone else. It was so cool as I'm a huge JN fan. I spoke to him briefly about some of the courses he's designed, including my favorite, Punta Espada at the Cap Cana resort in the Dominican Republic.

Haley got a bunch of other goodies including plenty of cool Puma gear and I think she got a few things signed.

On a different note, Taylormade has offered her a full fledged Kingdom fitting experience in either Carlsbad or Reynolds Plantation in GA sometime in early 2017. She's going to get everything through the bag including the bag and travel bag and will be fitted by the same fitters that DJ, Sergio, etc. work with! I'll have to start another thread on that one when we go...lol! ;)

[b]WITB[/b]:
Taylormade TP5X Ball

That's awesome OP! Your daughter has a very nice swing. I'm also in the central NJ area...What coaches has she gone to? I'm looking for a new set of eyes next season.

Her swing coach is Geoff Jones (Slicefixer on GolfWRX). He's in Texarkana, but comes to Warwick, NY (about 2 hours away) 4 or 5 times per year to teach his East coast students. If you search GolfWRX instructional forums for "Slicefixer 9-3" you'll find a massive thread. Geoff's been great for Haley. I could connect you if you're interested.

So does he run kind of like a weekend golf school? How are his rates?

Thanks for the info though, I will check the thread out. As for Haley, what's her aspirations in golf? Is she just kind of playing for fun, or has dreams of LPGA? Would be so cool to see a fellow members kid on tour.

Geoff's rates are very reasonable. He teaches hourly but often has first time students go through a 1 or 2 day "ground school" as a full immersion if you buy into his overall teaching concepts. If you'd like more info feel free to PM me anytime.

Like most normal teens, Haley's aspirations and level of motivation tend to change regularly...lol, so tough to know for certain how far she intends to pursue golf. In my view it's a marathon, not a sprint. I've seen too many "junior golf robots" burn out...some before they even get to college. My GolfWRX buddy Heavy_Hitter (golfing daughter from FL same age) can attest.

Haley's a social kid yet sadly, except for tournaments, golf has been kind of solitary for her since she has no other girls in our area to play with regularly. I think she's going to thrive in the college team environment. Hopefully we've given her a nice foundation, plus she's got good power which is often a limiting factor.

I just want her to have the best overall collegiate experience possible and however far she decides to pursue golf is fine with me either way.

I'm interested. Right now I pay the pro at Galloping Hills ~$100 an hour for a lesson. I've also gone to Teerific Golf Center in the Branchburg area and paid $100, too. So that seems about the going rate for a decent lesson. I was thinking of doing golf school, I can't remember the guys name but it was a phenomenal deal. It was a weekend course here in NJ for $500 or 600 and included lunch both days, long & short game, etc.

I hear you. I grew up and went to a huge high school. I didn't know a single girl who golfed, or let alone who was good enough to be in a pro-am. From what I've seen from your youtube links, your daughter has the technique, now all she needs to do is stay committed if she wants to continue into and past college! If not, hey, she's got a great story and a memory of a life time. Love to hear stories such as this.

I'll PM you for more info on Geoff's lessons.

What is your daughter's current bag set-up?

Ping G30 Driver set at 9.6 - Kuro Kage TiNi Silver (Stiff) - 45"

Ping G 3w - Attas 3 shaft (stiff flex)

Ping G30 5w - Attas 3 shaft (stiff flex)

Ping G30 22 degree 4 Hybrid - Graphite Design BB shaft (reg. flex)

Ping G20 27 degree (set to 26) 5 hybrid - Ping Tour 169 shaft (reg. flex)

Ping i25 irons 6 iron thru 55 degree sand wedge including U wedge - Recoil 95 (F3 reg. flex)

Ping Glide 60 degree wedge, SS, heel and trailing edge grind, CFS wedge flex shaft

Scotty Cameron custom shop Select Newport 1.5 w/ Iomic Grip

Iomic 2.3 Sticky w/ reminder ridge on all clubs

She had her first hole-in-one 2 weeks ago using the G20 5 hybrid on the second hole of our home course 2 weekends ago. So glad I was playing with her to witness it! 165 yards into a hurting left to right wind. She also has the i25 5 iron to match her set and switches them in and out, but the G20 is so versatile, better out of rough and goes higher.

[b]WITB[/b]:
Taylormade TP5X Ball

Beautiful family and amazing experience! Thanks for sharing!! I am the proud father of two young daughters (5&2) and can't wait to see what the future holds for them. Love seeing stuff like this! Congrats to your daughter and your entire family.

Thank you for the kind words. You've got your hands full with two girls 5 & 2. Enjoy the ride, they'll be off to college in the blink of an eye!

[b]WITB[/b]:
Taylormade TP5X Ball

Absolutely amazing, you raised your Daughter well and she certainly has an extremely bright future. This has to be one of the best threads I've ever seen on WRX during my time here. Also, great bag set up she has, well selected. Best of luck and hoping for many many more successes!

Thank you! The GolfWRX community has played a significant role and I'm appreciative of that. I've learned a ton about the swing from the insructional forums here, particularly from some key contributors past and present. Reading and participating in these discussions has expanded my knowledge and shaped my views/opinions of the swing. This has enabled me to better help my daughter and to recognize/identify high quality and credible instruction.

I've also learned that it's best to have the restraint to say less and leave the major instruction to her swing coach. You can't imagine the garbage that I hear spewing from the mouths of well meaning dad's on the practice tee at junior tournaments.

[b]WITB[/b]:
Taylormade TP5X Ball

Awesome post, OP! Thanks for sharing.

BTW, I searched quite thoroughly, but cannot seem to find where Elon plays their home matches. I only live about 20 minutes form the university.

Congrats, I know you're proud.

Thanks for the post MWK!

Elon's home course is Alamance CC. I believe it's a Donald Ross. They also have access to 3 or 4 others. Does Stoney Creek sound familiar? I think that's one...

Yes, I have played Stoney Creek several times. The greens are usually very good, but it is not very "walker friendly". Best of luck to your daughter!

Callaway Rogue 10.5
Callaway 3Deep w/PX 6.0
Ping i20 2 Hy & Idea Pro 4 Hy
Ping i25 5-UW
Scotty Cameron Notchback
Ping Tour Gorge 54 & Vokey SM8 58

That's awesome OP! Your daughter has a very nice swing. I'm also in the central NJ area...What coaches has she gone to? I'm looking for a new set of eyes next season.

Her swing coach is Geoff Jones (Slicefixer on GolfWRX). He's in Texarkana, but comes to Warwick, NY (about 2 hours away) 4 or 5 times per year to teach his East coast students. If you search GolfWRX instructional forums for "Slicefixer 9-3" you'll find a massive thread. Geoff's been great for Haley. I could connect you if you're interested.

So does he run kind of like a weekend golf school? How are his rates?

Thanks for the info though, I will check the thread out. As for Haley, what's her aspirations in golf? Is she just kind of playing for fun, or has dreams of LPGA? Would be so cool to see a fellow members kid on tour.

Geoff's rates are very reasonable. He teaches hourly but often has first time students go through a 1 or 2 day "ground school" as a full immersion if you buy into his overall teaching concepts. If you'd like more info feel free to PM me anytime.

Like most normal teens, Haley's aspirations and level of motivation tend to change regularly...lol, so tough to know for certain how far she intends to pursue golf. In my view it's a marathon, not a sprint. I've seen too many "junior golf robots" burn out...some before they even get to college. My GolfWRX buddy Heavy_Hitter (golfing daughter from FL same age) can attest.

Haley's a social kid yet sadly, except for tournaments, golf has been kind of solitary for her since she has no other girls in our area to play with regularly. I think she's going to thrive in the college team environment. Hopefully we've given her a nice foundation, plus she's got good power which is often a limiting factor.

I just want her to have the best overall collegiate experience possible and however far she decides to pursue golf is fine with me either way.

Finally got a chance to sit down and read this thread. Last week Went from Dallas to home, Charlotte to home, to my kid getting her knee scoped this morning. Has been a wild week.

Awesome experience for the family. a Lifetime Memory.

You are right. Burn out is real.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

Wow, I love threads like this!

Thanks so much for sharing with us. It just made my day!

I'm sure you are a proud father and hats off to you for the way you

have gone about this. You have much wisdom and it comes through

in your words.

Cheers for Haley. I hope she finds happiness in all the ups and downs

that lie ahead. She is on an amazing journey!

Absolutely amazing, you raised your Daughter well and she certainly has an extremely bright future. This has to be one of the best threads I've ever seen on WRX during my time here. Also, great bag set up she has, well selected. Best of luck and hoping for many many more successes!

Thank you! The GolfWRX community has played a significant role and I'm appreciative of that. I've learned a ton about the swing from the insructional forums here, particularly from some key contributors past and present. Reading and participating in these discussions has expanded my knowledge and shaped my views/opinions of the swing. This has enabled me to better help my daughter and to recognize/identify high quality and credible instruction.

I've also learned that it's best to have the restraint to say less and leave the major instruction to her swing coach. You can't imagine the garbage that I hear spewing from the mouths of well meaning dad's on the practice tee at junior tournaments.

Good on you doing the research, and of letting the coach "coach"! I've been around a number of juniors out here where I live, and there are always those parents that despite paying the coach they possibly undermine the advice/instructions given to their son or daughter. So I totally believe you on the garbage you can sometimes hear LOL

Like you I've learned a TON joining this site, it will no doubt help along my own golf journey and hopefully someday I can pass some of this knowledge to my nephews and nieces if they find an interest in golf as I don't have any kids.

Happy Thanksgiving and Happy Holidays! And again, hoping for continued success for Haley and the Family!