Garmin Approach X40

I have used the X40 for three rounds. My previous experience is the Bushnell Neo XS and Garmin S1 and S2.

The X40 is as easy to use as the Bushnell (which is what I loved about the Bushnell). What makes it even better is that it's so light and thin that you don't know you are wearing it.

I don't use any of the advanced capabilities.

Ping G410 Plus Driver, TaylorMade Aeroburner 3W, Cobra F6 Baffler 
Callaway 2015 XR 4, 5 hybrids

Titleist 2021 T300 6-P, 48W, 53W irons

Ping Zing Lob wedge
Axis1 Rose putter

Alternate set: Srixon ZX4 MKII irons

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Thinking about this as a golf gps and activity steps tracker to replace my crappy Fitbit. From an activity tracker perspective is all the info accessible from the device screen and the Garmin app?

TaylorMade Qi10 10.5* 
Callaway BB Alpha 816 16*
Srixon Z H45 Hybrid 19* 
Srixon ZX Utility 23*
Srixon ZX5 Mk II 5-AW

Callaway Jaws Raw Black 54 & 58
TaylorMade Spider Tour Black
Bridgestone Tour RX

Just played my first round and love the x40. Great size and weight, can't really even tell it's there. Colder rounds you might notice a tight long sleeve, because it's thicker than the the Approaches with the HR monitor. The interface is straightfoward and quick. I was playing with the S6, and from a bells and whistles the S6 is clearly the top dog. My only complaint with the S6 was the side buttons. Every now and then the swing would inadvertently hit one of the buttons. Unfortunately one of the buttons on the right side is the scorecard which then kicks into auto scoring even if I didnt' want it. I could definitely with that minor issue, but having both the activity tracking and golf gps in a light small package is so sweet.

Some of the info is accessible with an extra tap on the activity screen, but the screen is small enough that it's not very data rich. It's really targeting the Garmin Connect mobile app or web interface for analytics. Some of the watch setup is also through the Connect app. I find this is a little weird like setting the alarm feature from the app, but I use my phone for an alarm anyway.

Cobra F8+ Project X HZRDUS Yellow 75
Cobra BioCell+ 3/4 FWY Diamana 72x5ct
Cobra BioCell 3/4 HYB Kuro Kage 70HY
Mizuno MP-59 KBS Tour
Cleveland 588 PF 50*, 56*, 62* RTG
Scotty Futura X7

Has anyone else noticed a huge battery drain since the last update? Before, the X40 would get to 50% battery after a 5hr round. Now, it goes to the 25% mark.

Sorry no. But the indicator isn't really that accurate. The difference between having 1 bar left or 2 could be quite small difference in actual usage - and it may even be just because of different amount of usage with the activity tracking before the start of the round. Even starting fully charged, after 5 hours of full gps usage, having ~35% left is consistent with the advertised battery life.

Yeah, the standard band on the one I saw in Golfsmith was a joke compared to a middle-aged 200+ pound guy's wrist. The XL one is only a couple inches larger and I'd doubt it would be very comfortable on my wrist either. I could probably wear the XL but it would be very snug (based on measuring my wrist circumference and comparing that to the XL length spec).

Definitely a product with its design based on skinny, fit 20-somethings IMO.

• 3 weeks later...

Just an FYI. For anyone having problems with the shot tracking missing shots, Garmin just released an update for the software to address those problems.

Only done 9 holes since the update but seems to be a huge improvement for me. Before the update, it might have picked up only about 1/3 of the full swing shots. After the update, I don't think it missed a single shot off the green for those 9 holes - including short pitches.

Is everyone getting the standard size band? I see on the Garmin website they offer an XL band.

The size of the band is what delayed me getting by about a month in May. i tried the standard size in store and it was way too small. They tried to order the XL and were told they couldn't get it. Finally ordered an XL through the Garmin site and got it in late June.

All the other comments have pretty much hit on everything. I wear it everyday, using the non golf functions regularly.

I also have the Precision Pro GPS Golf Band, and it's pretty much just a golf GPS so it's screens are a bit easier and quicker to navigate.

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone had any luck with the shot tracking on this thing? I have played a couple of rounds with it and have a few issues that maybe others can help me resolve:

1. Is there a way to add a shot to the post round map view where it shows your shots and distances? I know that you can delete them, but is there any way to add them?

2. Is there any way to move the shot locations in map view? I have had some shots where I know I ended up in front of the green, however when I look at the shot map after the round, it shows me behind and thus added 20yards to the distance.

Has anyone had any luck with the shot tracking on this thing? I have played a couple of rounds with it and have a few issues that maybe others can help me resolve:

1. Is there a way to add a shot to the post round map view where it shows your shots and distances? I know that you can delete them, but is there any way to add them?

2. Is there any way to move the shot locations in map view? I have had some shots where I know I ended up in front of the green, however when I look at the shot map after the round, it shows me behind and thus added 20yards to the distance.

1. No.

2. No.

Sorry. Although I agree it would be nice - it would be even better if you could manually add the shots while playing. Then you'd get accurate locations. Trying to add after the fact really wouldn't be easy to do with any amount of real accuracy.

1. No.

2. No.

Sorry. Although I agree it would be nice - it would be even better if you could manually add the shots while playing. Then you'd get accurate locations. Trying to add after the fact really wouldn't be easy to do with any amount of real accuracy.

I have had good luck with shot tracking with it missing very few. The few times it's missed were on the first tee after turning it on and sometimes around the green with a soft chip sometimes.

As for adding shots, Stuart is right, you can't add after the round. Plus adding it after the round would be inaccurate and to me would render the added data useless. However if you make a shot and you look at the X40 and realize that it missed it, you can always take a "practice swing" from the same location and it should record it.

I'd also agree with Stuart that moving shots would be very inaccurate, so kind of pointless to me.

I haven't tried it on the course yet since the latest software release which I believe is v2.70, so I don't know it's impact on autoshot.

Biggest annoyance to me is that the "Activity Minutes" really seem to not register at times that I'd expect them to, and sometimes they register during much easier exercise when I'd expect them not to.

Which of the features are dependent on uploading to Garmin Connect vs. just residing on the X40?

Obviously you can see your shot distances directly on the X40 display. And I know to use the shot-tracking feature (which I'm not interested in) you'd need to do Garmin Connect uploads afterwards.

How about telling you how far you walked and/or calories burned and/or heart rate? Is that upload-based or directly on the X40?

Which of the features are dependent on uploading to Garmin Connect vs. just residing on the X40?

Obviously you can see your shot distances directly on the X40 display. And I know to use the shot-tracking feature (which I'm not interested in) you'd need to do Garmin Connect uploads afterwards.

How about telling you how far you walked and/or calories burned and/or heart rate? Is that upload-based or directly on the X40?

Post round, when you end the round on the device, it does give summary stats; score(if you kept score), putts (if you tracked putts), round time, steps and distant traveled, Calories (I think but not positive). On the Garmin Connect app or website, you get many more stats including all previously mentioned plus avg speed, pace, average heart rate, max heart rate, elevation gain and loss, calories. You also get graphs of HR, speed, elevation plotted to time on the x-axis, plus a map of the course showing your tracks.

Cool.

I've seen some screen shots of the elevation/pace/time graph which I assumed was on the site...very neat stuff. But as far as your basic "5.13 miles, 10090 steps" stuff if you can just see that at the end of the round on the X40 that would be all I wanted most of the time.

Sounds like definitely NOT one of those devices where when it isn't paired with your phone it just sits there doing nothing much.

I appreciate the quick feedback!

1. No.

2. No.

I have had good luck with shot tracking with it missing very few. The few times it's missed were on the first tee after turning it on and sometimes around the green with a soft chip sometimes.

As for adding shots, Stuart is right, you can't add after the round. Plus adding it after the round would be inaccurate and to me would render the added data useless. However if you make a shot and you look at the X40 and realize that it missed it, you can always take a "practice swing" from the same location and it should record it.

I'd also agree with Stuart that moving shots would be very inaccurate, so kind of pointless to me.

I haven't tried it on the course yet since the latest software release which I believe is v2.70, so I don't know it's impact on autoshot.

Biggest annoyance to me is that the "Activity Minutes" really seem to not register at times that I'd expect them to, and sometimes they register during much easier exercise when I'd expect them not to.

That makes sense. Thanks!

For those of us where shot detection was a big problem, it was a huge improvement in the autoshot detection. I went from it picking up only about 1/3 of the swings to almost all of them. I can't say how it will effect those that were not having problems, but I wouldn't be surprised if you started to see some false detections if the sensitivity increased.

For those of us where shot detection was a big problem, it was a huge improvement in the autoshot detection. I went from it picking up only about 1/3 of the swings to almost all of them. I can't say how it will effect those that were not having problems, but I wouldn't be surprised if you started to see some false detections if the sensitivity increased.

Interesting--- hopefully I don't start recording false shots.

Interesting--- hopefully I don't start recording false shots.

I wasn't seeing a lot of false shots - maybe two in the last 18 holes. So hopefully it was an improvement in the actual algorithm and not just a blanket increase in sensitivity. And I must say it was a bit better in picking up the shots around the green (and therefore the end point of approach shots) so that might help you. Let us know how it goes.

I'm going to be a test case for overkill in buying an X40. No interest in shot tracking, not really interested in fitness targets or anything else much decide knowing how far it is to the hole for each shot and tracking how far I walk each round. But the form factor just looks a lot more friendly than the clunky S2 or Bushnell Neo type watch, albeit at double the cost. And hey it can take my pulse for me when I'm fighting back the urge to fling a club!

Definitely went with the XL size. The standard band would be pretty much stretched tight around my wrist. The XL I'll probably have a notch or so to spare in case my wrists get fatter over Christmas...

Got my X40 yesterday and will try it out on today's round. In the mean time I've been wearing it around the house (and trying it on under my long sleeve golf shirt, man this thing is thick) and have a question for those of you who look at the heart rate.

My resting average is around 50 and last night while I was asleep it dropped to 44-45 a couple times. Isn't that very, very low? Right now sitting and typing on the computer while drinking coffee it says 55. I don't know anything about physiology but for a fat middle-aged guy that sounds more like a HR monitor malfunction than a true heart rate. FWIW it does bump up into the 70's to low 80's when I'm up doing household chores and such. But when I sit down for a couple minutes it is back to 60 or less pretty quickly.

Got my X40 yesterday and will try it out on today's round. In the mean time I've been wearing it around the house (and trying it on under my long sleeve golf shirt, man this thing is thick) and have a question for those of you who look at the heart rate.

My resting average is around 50 and last night while I was asleep it dropped to 44-45 a couple times. Isn't that very, very low? Right now sitting and typing on the computer while drinking coffee it says 55. I don't know anything about physiology but for a fat middle-aged guy that sounds more like a HR monitor malfunction than a true heart rate. FWIW it does bump up into the 70's to low 80's when I'm up doing household chores and such. But when I sit down for a couple minutes it is back to 60 or less pretty quickly.

Seems low. Check it by taking your pulse a few times and compare. Also make sure that the band is snug so it doesn't move around on your wrist. Also I've found that mornings sometime run low on the device until you've moved around a bit. I think this is due to reduced blood flow to the capillaries and the device reads the pulse through those.

I've been spot checking and darned if I don't get pretty much the same pulse rate as the X40 is reporting. Of course I can't confirm those 44's and 47's when I'm sound asleep but I've gotten a manual pulse of 51 a while lying on the sofa when the X40 said 52. So I reckon I probably do have a fairly low resting pulse and even those mid-upper 40's may be close to correct.

First round of golf yesterday and like every golf GPS I've ever used it generally takes 90-120 seconds after I stop walking to settle onto the correct number (give or take a couple yards). There were three occasions (that I noticed) where if I'd taken the number that showed 5-10 seconds after arriving at my ball I'd have pulled the wrong club. Two of those times it was reading 5-8 yards too short then changed after a minute or so to the real yardage. The third time it was way, way off and never did correct itself. I was standing on a sprinkler (that I know is correct) saying 106 center. The X40 said 123 initially then said 118 for a moment before bumping back to 121 and staying there.

OTOH it gave me useful and close-enough numbers on several in-betweener wedge shots in the 45-65 yard range where I did not have sprinklers. All of them worked out well and the ball ended up in the expected place. i know other people get great results from golf GPS but it remains error-prone for me. Only that one yardage was seriously FUBAR and it was one I would not have even looked at the X40 if I weren't trying it out the first time. But I've just got to ignore that initial several yard drifting about while it makes up its mind.

I've been spot checking and darned if I don't get pretty much the same pulse rate as the X40 is reporting. Of course I can't confirm those 44's and 47's when I'm sound asleep but I've gotten a manual pulse of 51 a while lying on the sofa when the X40 said 52. So I reckon I probably do have a fairly low resting pulse and even those mid-upper 40's may be close to correct.

First round of golf yesterday and like every golf GPS I've ever used it generally takes 90-120 seconds after I stop walking to settle onto the correct number (give or take a couple yards). There were three occasions (that I noticed) where if I'd taken the number that showed 5-10 seconds after arriving at my ball I'd have pulled the wrong club. Two of those times it was reading 5-8 yards too short then changed after a minute or so to the real yardage. The third time it was way, way off and never did correct itself. I was standing on a sprinkler (that I know is correct) saying 106 center. The X40 said 123 initially then said 118 for a moment before bumping back to 121 and staying there.

OTOH it gave me useful and close-enough numbers on several in-betweener wedge shots in the 45-65 yard range where I did not have sprinklers. All of them worked out well and the ball ended up in the expected place. i know other people get great results from golf GPS but it remains error-prone for me. Only that one yardage was seriously FUBAR and it was one I would not have even looked at the X40 if I weren't trying it out the first time. But I've just got to ignore that initial several yard drifting about while it makes up its mind.

90-120 seconds tells me something is wrong. A yard or 2 of +/- float is normal when standing still after a several seconds, but that should be your number and you shouldn't have to wait 90 seconds. I test by arriving at a marker and within 5 seconds it should read the marker +/- 3 yards. Only exceptions would be when surrounded by a canopy of trees like a couple tee boxes are at some courses I play.

My first x40 had a GPS issue and would never stabilize and could drift 10 or more yards after a few minutes. Garmin promptly replaced it after I did some troubleshooting with them.

I'm having trouble with mine. It seems to miss about 1 in 3 or 4 full swings, let alone chips. And then sometimes it registers a practice swing.

Not a massive issue as I really use it for distances, for which it works fine.

Can I ask for those of you who walk 18 holes - how many steps does it register for you? Yesterday it registered 10500 for 18 holes, which seems way to low to me.

TaylorMade Qi10 10.5* 
Callaway BB Alpha 816 16*
Srixon Z H45 Hybrid 19* 
Srixon ZX Utility 23*
Srixon ZX5 Mk II 5-AW

Callaway Jaws Raw Black 54 & 58
TaylorMade Spider Tour Black
Bridgestone Tour RX