Cobra King LTD pro cb/mb irons

Techgolfer1

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had the Cobra's for 3 and a half months and the MD3'S for 2 months.

As you can see, the cobra finish holds up just fine, there's really not a whole lot of wear on them. If I wash these up they should look a bit better but the MD3 finish is wearing away a lot more. You can really tell when comparing the soles and leading edges.

Just a side note, I really like how the shamrock rusts. It adds a little flair to them in case the black and green shaft didn't do it enough already.

Annddddd you just sold me on the blacks. Thanks for the pics. That's awesome after 3 months.

I'm pumped now

Annddddd you just sold me on the blacks. Thanks for the pics. That's awesome after 3 months.

I'm pumped now

I'm glad I could help. Like I said that was my most used iron and it still looks amazing. I'm not sure why this finish isn't used on more black clubs because most of the black ones I see wear away like the wedges I have but Cobra did something right with these and I hope they keep making black irons in the future.

I'm pumped now

I'm glad I could help. Like I said that was my most used iron and it still looks amazing. I'm not sure why this finish isn't used on more black clubs because most of the black ones I see wear away like the wedges I have but Cobra did something right with these and I hope they keep making black irons in the future.

Could it just be that the irons take way less abuse? Wedges get hit way more often and out of bunkers/tight lies etc a lot. However.. I do think they must've used something different as it sure seems sturdy..

I'm pumped now

Could it just be that the irons take way less abuse? Wedges get hit way more often and out of bunkers/tight lies etc a lot. However.. I do think they must've used something different as it sure seems sturdy..

I've had them since the start of the season and the finish still looks great! The range where I play league is essentially a mix of grass and sand, and while I do make sure to not hit a ball that is coated in sand, I've hit plenty of balls that have sand on them, and have hit them out of plenty of fairway bunkers, and the finish is really no worse for the wear.

I hit a brand new wedge out of the sand yesterday and the sand took the black finish right off where sand came between the club and ball, so I am a firm believer in their finish.

I examined the sole of the short irons yesterday, which get the most use between gaming and range sessions, and there doesn't seem to much wear on the sole even. I think the sole may be just a tad lighter than the essentially untouched portions of the clubs, but not by much.

Wanted to jump back into this after I've gotten some time to really game them!

The CB's (4-6) are really something special. I have found them to be very forgiving and easy to hit, especially for long irons. Dare I say more-so than my apex pro's were. The top line from the MB's to the CB's and overall blade length is a smooth transition and doesn't give you much to notice. If you were overly picky, the sole is a decent margin wider in the CB's, but the performance and turf interaction is not sacrificed.

Comparing them to my other MB's from my miuras, which I would classify as traditionally designed MB, the tungsten plug in the toe definitely made a difference in moving the sweet spot more towards the center. Strikes that are toe side of the sweet spot are more forgiving, and with strikes that are slightly heel side being the most rewarding with the miuras, strikes that are center face are more rewarding with the cobras, although between both sets, if your going to miss, I'd give heel side the preference by a long shot.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So... I ordered mine the first week of May. They are *STILL* not here...and on the website they just push backed the dates from end of June to early July about two weeks ago.. now it says mid-late august.

This is ridiculous. I love the clubs...they're amazing... but this is insane. Cobra should be offering those of us that have been on back order for 2+ months discounts or some free goods for waiting this out. I never would've imagined my order would go from early june to late june to july to august.

COME ON COBRA!

Jeep, where did you get your GW head if I may ask? Also considering adding to my set. For now I'm contemplating carrying just the King wedge 56, bent to 54, and 60.

Cobra Aerojet 10.5 +1.5 Mitsubishi Kai'li S
Cobra LTDx 5w PX Hzrdus green 5.5

Cobra King Utility 20.5 Elements Chrome S 20.5

Mizuno 243 5-P DG S200
Corey Paul 52, 56, 60 
Mizuno OMOI 3 black 35"
Emeritus set:  Mizuno MP20 HMB 5, MMC 6-8, MP 9-P KBS C-taper Lite R 

• 2 weeks later...

Went away from these for awhile but they're back. Excited to try them with different shafts this time.

28219004816_918a3656ce_c.jpg

Callaway Paradym 10.5* - Ventus TR Red
Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 15* - Fujikura Ventus Red
Taylormade Stealth Hybrid 19* - Fujikura Ventus Red
Titleist T200 2023 4-PW Nippon Modus 120
Taylormade MG3 50, 54, Hi-Toe 60
Taylormade Spider GT Max

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

seems like everyone went with the black version. really leaning towards the chrome mb's and doing some paintfill this winter. does anyone have pics of their chrome mb's with different paintfill? also - how much difference from 5 iron down is there between CB and MB? I have s3 pro all CB now and love them...drawn to the mb's tho

915D3
Adams Pro Mini
Cobra S3 Pro
SM6
Byron Morgan DH89

• 3 months later...

seems like everyone went with the black version. really leaning towards the chrome mb's and doing some paintfill this winter. does anyone have pics of their chrome mb's with different paintfill? also - how much difference from 5 iron down is there between CB and MB? I have s3 pro all CB now and love them...drawn to the mb's tho

I was thinking the same thing with the chromes. However, any of you who have gamed the blacks for an entire season curious how they look at this stage?

TaylorMade Stealth 7.25º | Fujikura Ventus Black 6X
TaylorMade SIM2 13.5º | Diamana Thump 75X
Cobra F6 Baffler 17.5º | Diamana Thump 85X
Titleist T100s | Dynamic Gold X7
TaylorMade MG3 50º, 55º, 60º Hi Toe  | Dynamic Gold X7
PXG One & Done | Armlock

I was thinking the same thing with the chromes. However, any of you who have gamed the blacks for an entire season curious how they look at this stage?

Just copying my post from this thread asking the exact same questions: http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1380322-cobra-king-pro-ironswhat-ya-got/

I've had the Black CB's since February and they still look as good as the day I bought them. This finish is the real deal. I have black PVD wedges and those have obviously worn down and started wearing right away. If I cleaned these up, I don't think you could tell if these were almost a year old or a week old. The finish is amazing.

Edit: I played college golf and had practice either on the course or range everyday plus whatever meets we played and these still look brand new. Whatever this finish is, they should keep it to themselves and let the other companies continue to use PVD.

So went and hit these again today, just to make sure I wasn't imagining things the first time, and my gosh I am blown away how these haven't been talked about more. The blades are beautiful and as far as a blade is considered quite easy to hit and launch. The CBs are the most compact CB out there without question, and rival the look of many blades.

For people looking for a players iron you honestly can't go wrong with a full set of either, but the combo set is just so appealing to me personally. They are also in my opinion the irons with the least amount of offset in the 7-PW MBs, and for those of you who are like me and despise offset this is a very welcomed sight. They sit so perfectly square behind the ball, and at no point during my set up do feel like the ball may go uncontrollably left.

Feel is exactly what you would expect from a quality forged iron. I personally intend on removing the orange paint fill for something a little more subdued, just my style, but to each their own.

I can't wait to get my set.

PXG One & Done | Armlock

• 5 months later...

I just picked a set of the combo set in black up with stock C-Tapers. First impression is quite intimidating, they are easily the most compact irons I've played. After quite a few swings I am impressed with the feel and forgiveness. Lot's of strikes out toward the toe without any major change in distance or ball flight. Great soft feel you'd expect from a quality forged iron.

The one thing that sticks out the most to me is the look at address. It is a beautiful site in my opinion, the black head frames the ball very well and the meaty hosel looks impressive with the satin shafts.

These are my favorite irons of all time. I've switched irons more times than I care to comment, but these have been in my bag for a year now and the only thing I'd consider changing is adding 2 or 3 more of the MB's to replace the CB's because the blades are just that amazing.

PXG One & Done | Armlock

These are my favorite irons of all time. I've switched irons more times than I care to comment, but these have been in my bag for a year now and the only thing I'd consider changing is adding 2 or 3 more of the MB's to replace the CB's because the blades are just that amazing.

I've had mine since last February and I'm a little sad that I went with the full CB set. I'm debating whether to just buy another set but in the flow or full MB's to have on hand when these need replacing.

I've had mine since last February and I'm a little sad that I went with the full CB set. I'm debating whether to just buy another set but in the flow or full MB's to have on hand when these need replacing.

go full MBs and then you can have 3 sets, full CB/full MB or a combo depending on what you feel like

TM M3 9.5*
Cobra King Ltd 15*
Callaway XR 18* 

Cobra Fly Z+ 4-P

Bridgestone J15 50*

Callaway MD2 56/60*

TM Spider X Navy Blue
Srixon Z Star

I played J40 CB's forever and wanted something more forgiving. Tried the Apex Pro's and decided that the UBER forgiveness of the Apex in the long irons was what I needed. Well I was wrong, even with the set from Callaway where they blend lofts, match the finish I just cannot get over the offset differences. I am having trouble aligning myself because of the difference from 8i iron in the Pro's to 7 iron in the CF16. So I pulled my beloved Recoils out of the heads, and will be selling heads only 4-GW soon.

Back to the Irons the thread is about and why I mentioned the irons above.

I tried the Apex Pro's again in the long irons directly against the Pro CB long irons and the Pro's performed better. I did not throw out any shots for the testing, but the distance dispersion was much better with the Cobra's and I mishit both sets. The forgiveness of the Long irons was surprising.

• Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - GW Cobra King Tour - Axiom 105X
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

go full MBs and then you can have 3 sets, full CB/full MB or a combo depending on what you feel like

Tha'ts a great idea! The endless possibilities! MB long irons and CB short irons would be interesting. Or an "every other club" set with MB - CB - MB - CB......