2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Fitting Tall Golfers With NO Chart or Preconceived Ideas!

rybo

I've been working through the flex issues as of late. My Digiflex is tired!!

The butt end of the shaft is the stiffest portion, so adding length via a longer butt section is adding a very strong section. However, the CPM's are reduced as a club gets longer.

Shaft weight is very important. The i95's have an overall weight that is much lower, swingweight very close to X100's, but feel more head heavy.

I have found these two shafts have very different CPM measurements but play very similar in direction and dispersion in the irons. The sand and lob wedge need more attention to get dialed in. And I'm not where I want to be yet.

As of right now the X100's are showing a lot of promise. Still have to change out the stiff Steelfibers for the X's. I am totally blown away by just how good the 8 iron/X100 combo is.

Wedges are testing my patience at the moment but still have a few more things to try.

I posted this in the DG vs PX sticky but haven't heard much yet and I'm hoping someone in here would have experience/answer for me.

From what I have found, PX shafts get stiffer towards the butt and play stiffer at overlengths. DG shafts get stiffer towards the tip and play softer at overlengths. I want to play DG .370 parallel shafts in my new wedges close to their normal length flex. Would tipping these shafts less and butt cutting them more achieve this at a +1.5" to 2" length? Or is the butt still the stiffest part of the shaft and extra tipping will make it stiffer?

In regards to the iron shafts, I have 3-pw PX shafts and 4-gw heads. Would soft stepping theses shafts be slightly offset by playing them at longer lengths in regards to getting some stiffness back? Or could these be tipped 0.5" to bring them back to std. 4-gw flexes?

A soft stepped DG X100 3 iron shaft in a 4 iron head is about one full flex stiffer then a PX 6.0 soft stepped 3 iron shaft in the same 4 iron head, which is about what it should be.

What I am finding is having the correct length is way more important then the correct flex in the irons. Finding a suitable flex in the wedges due to their much heavier weight, even with some head weight removed, coupled with the longer lengths seem to make them more sensitive to different flexes and shaft weights. Probably more of a MOI scenario then flex as Robbie Hunt explained earlier in the post.

Since the clubs are longer they should be softer in flex. I don't think trying to duplicate a flex/CPM from a 35.75" PW to a 38" PW is the way to go, same for the rest of the irons.

A soft stepped DG X100 3 iron shaft in a 4 iron head is about one full flex stiffer then a PX 6.0 soft stepped 3 iron shaft in the same 4 iron head, which is about what it should be.

What I am finding is having the correct length is way more important then the correct flex in the irons. Finding a suitable flex in the wedges due to their much heavier weight, even with some head weight removed, coupled with the longer lengths seem to make them more sensitive to different flexes and shaft weights. Probably more of a MOI scenario then flex as Robbie Hunt explained earlier in the post.

Since the clubs are longer they should be softer in flex. I don't think trying to duplicate a flex/CPM from a 35.75" PW to a 38" PW is the way to go, same for the rest of the irons.

Thanks for the info. It seems standard tip trimming then butt cut to length is the proper way to go.

So your first set is almost identical to the set I am playing now. Was lucky enough to find a local fitter (a recommendation from a fellow WRX member) here in the Nashville area that was progressive in this regard. Since switching 2 years ago I have lowered my handicap from a 8 to 5 and don't have the back issues that I had prior. I play DG X100 so the weight is heavy but I hardly notice it now and the results couldn't be better. Thanks for starting this thread, as I am believer - 6'4" with a 38.25 WTF.

Length

4 Iron 40.5”

5 Iron 40”

6 Iron 39.5”

7 Iron 39”

8 Iron 38.5”

9 Iron 38”

PW 38

GW and SW 37.5”

For those who keep questioning if 3/8" gaps (or other gaps for that matter) will work as the club gets longer I will share this.

When I built the first extended set from the low and high limit tests, the lengths were built strictly off of these results to see how playable they would or would not be. Didn't realize until now just how close to 3/8" build it was.

Had a 38" low length and a 40.5" high length.

Gapped as follows:

4 40.5"

5 40"

6 39.5"

7 39"

8 38.5"

9 38.25"

P 38"

Comparing this to a 3/8" build starting with the shortest club the following gaps would have occurred:

The lengths in parenthesis are the differences from the build above)

4 40.25" (-.25")

5 39.875" (-.125")

6 39.5" (0")

7 39.125" (+.125")

8 38.75" (+.250")

9 38.375" (+.125")

P 38" (0")

This is so close to a 3/8" build that it's unlikely there would be any noticeable difference in performance. What I find interesting is the low and high length tests compressed the overall lengths to almost to a 3/8" gapping. I actually have slightly shorter short irons and slightly longer long irons and the 6 & PW are exactly the same.

Smelly:

Having just sold a set of shaft pulls that played standard length the 5i was 38" installed and length of the shaft was 36 7/8" or so with grip. Assume you are going to get an additional 1 1/8"-1 1/4" of length once head is installed.

Ping G425 10.5
Ping G25 15/18
Srixon ZX7 4-PW
Vokey SM6 Raw 50,54,58
Odyssey 11 Tour Lined CS
Srixon Z-Star

The measurement you are asking about is the 'bottom of bore to ground' (BBGM). The BBGM can vary from 3/4" up to 2" for irons; bore through hosels will be close to 0". Most irons are around 1 1/8"-1 1/4". Wedges are usually around 1 3/4". Measure all of the hosel depths in a set as sometimes mfg's will raise the BBGM in the long irons.

I cut an exact 10" tip section from a .335" wood shaft to use as an easy measurement device. Put the 10" piece in the hosel and measure against a ruler, anything above the 10" line is the BBGM. ie..a 11 1/2" measurement = 1 1/2" BBGM

Another bit of a rant again, but thought I would share some observations as it was quite eye opening. Maybe it can encourage someone else to try.

Was playing around with the extended wedge again last night. It really is crazy how much different the set up position is. Especially being able to turn through with a proper shoulder plane. As a tall player, I have often fought a high fade/slice and toe hits depending on club but often with the high irons and wedges. Most instructors talk about proper tilt and spine angle and the importance of maintaining it through the swing. (One of my Favs is Monte and his right shoulder under feel) Using a mirror, you can see how this is just NOT possible with clubs that are too short with upright lie angles.

Ask any tall golfer what they are fit for and I would say probably 80-90% would say + 1/2 - 1" and 2-4* up. it is very tough for someone over 6'3" to play with these clubs and maintain spine angle and turn through with the right shoulder under. No wonder I'm always so steep! You have to make some crazy manipulations just to contact the ball. (ie Stand the shaft up, high hands, crazy knee flex, weird lower body moves, hip thrust, etc... so many bad moves come from this) Look at the damn club I'm using!!! No wonder... These things can be reduced by great players I'm sure, but unless you have Dustin Johnson type natural flexibility the amount of pressure/shear it puts on the low back is pretty extreme.

After digging around found this throwback quote from Rybo:

There is one thing an upright lie angle does that can not be disputed as it's pure geometry, it moves the ball position closer to the golfer regardless of length. Think of a right triangle, angle A is the lie angle and the hypotenuse is the clubs length. As angle A(lie angle) increase the horizontal leg (ball position) of the triangle becomes shorter for a given length. This is about the worst thing that could be done to a tall golfer because the closer ball position does not allow enough space for a proper release of the club into the ball and forces a steep almost over the top move that impedes a proper inside out swing path. This is why so many tall golfers hit the ball towards the toe even with an upright lie angle.

The club itself will dictate how the golfer swings to some extent. Too short and/or too upright only magnifies these problems. Hence why I stated be generous when adding length and very stingy when increasing the lie angle. I'm looking at the golfer, how the golfer generates swing dynamics and how the club fits into all of this.

The OEM's are very reluctant to add length due to swingweight increases and shaft flex issues. They are only protecting their own interests and not the golfers.

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/751137-are-the-taller-tour-players-using-shafts-longer-than-std-on-their-irons/

Man oh Man!!! Why couldn't I have read this 4 years ago... almost to the day.. I was too busy searching the BST when I first joined I guess. Ha Ha oh well! Better late than never I guess. Maybe Santa will bring me a brand new lower handicap next season?? :to_become_senile:

Rybo, can't thank you enough for your dedication to the "Cause". The amount of time and effort is greatly appreciated. Rant over, mic drop. Cheers!

• Like 2

Rybo,

You've talked a bit about how too short of a driver will guarantee popcorn fades/slices for a tall golfer. Understanding and temporarily setting aside the common arguments against this (that there are exceptions to every rule, and that there are pro golfers that have trained themselves to swing well with shorter clubs (lower back permitting!), and that in general, the longer the club, the harder it is to control (all else equal - and for a tall golfer, it's not equal!)...), would you mind elaborating a bit on why exactly this would tend to be the case? ...that a shorter club may be harder to square given the golfer's height, or whatever the rationale is?

I get that a shorter driver would tend to play a bit flatter, but I doubt this accounts for the slices given the low loft. I know that personally, I will hit gargantuan banana slices with most any driver that doesn't have a heavy shaft (and am currently playing a SLDR w/ a 757 S flex that I will still slice/block fairly often). I haven't experimented w/ driver length just yet, so I can't say much about that yet.

Interested to hear your thoughts as always! Thanks!

SLDR 9.5 w/ Speeder 757
Titleist 904f 4W w/ S300
Ping G20 17* w/ Aldila RIP Alpha 85 2.0
Ping S56 5-9 w/ KBS Tour Stiff
Vokey 46, 52, 56 & 60
Ping WACK-E putter

Watch the video in post #149. Blackmar does a great job explaining swing plane issues in relation to height.

Take a driver and lean the butt end of the shaft against a wall so the club face sits perfectly square. Now raise the shaft 4" or so. The head moves closer to the wall and is open with the toe down. This is what happens to a tall golfer.

Trackman and ball flight laws all are based on having the clubhead in the proper orientation, square at impact. This is very difficult for us tall people when the clubhead is toe down and open due to the short length.

Let's look at someone like Rory 45 1/2" at 5' 8". I'm 8" taller and play a 46 1/2" driver. Not what I would call an extreme difference.

I don't think a longer club is any more difficult to hit then one that is too short, if anything it will be much easier to use as the tall golfer will finally have a proper length club to return the clubhead in its proper orientation at impact without manipulations.

In the whole standing on a box scenario for average size people, you must remember, your shoulder is already at that higher height. If the club doesn't work well for them standing on a curb/box, how do you expect it to work well for you?!?!

What makes the ball fly straight or curve?

According to research by TrackMan™, developers of a club delivery and ball flight monitor, the club face accounts for approximately 85% of the ball’s initial direction with a driver, and 75% with an iron. The club path accounts for the remainder. When the ball starts out in the wrong direction, it’s a good bet the problem is a club face error. When the path and face are heading in the same direction through impact, the spin axis is zero and the ball will fly straight. The spin axis will tilt whenever the face and path head in different directions. Hence, the club face and club path have an equal effect on ball curvature. When the club face is the left of the club path, the spin axis tilts left and the ball curves left. When the face is right of the path, the spin axis tilts to the right and the ball curves right.

(This was taken from a mytrackman.com blog PDF)

The exceptionally tall golfer using a driver that is too short for their proportions (much higher lead shoulder height and minimally longer arms) will by default have a clubhead orientation that is toe down and open faced. The only way to avoid this with a club that does not have a proper length is to manipulate the clubhead usually by 'hooding' the face angle a few degrees either by grip or some trained action in the swing. The human body will adapt pretty quick, two shots dead right and the brain unconsciously takes over and the manipulations happen.

Also with a club too short there is a steeper swing plane, which only exasperates the entire issue of path relating to spin axis; basically more manipulations the golfer has to make in order to get the ball to its intended location.

The real solution is not heavier shafts, more upright heads, a different swing, etc; it's give the tall golfer a proper length club and give them some time to learn how to swing on a proper plane with the head entering the impact location with 'the face and path heading in the same direction'.

Rybo,

You've talked a bit about how too short of a driver will guarantee popcorn fades/slices for a tall golfer. Understanding and temporarily setting aside the common arguments against this (that there are exceptions to every rule, and that there are pro golfers that have trained themselves to swing well with shorter clubs (lower back permitting!), and that in general, the longer the club, the harder it is to control (all else equal - and for a tall golfer, it's not equal!)...), would you mind elaborating a bit on why exactly this would tend to be the case? ...that a shorter club may be harder to square given the golfer's height, or whatever the rationale is?

I get that a shorter driver would tend to play a bit flatter, but I doubt this accounts for the slices given the low loft. I know that personally, I will hit gargantuan banana slices with most any driver that doesn't have a heavy shaft (and am currently playing a SLDR w/ a 757 S flex that I will still slice/block fairly often). I haven't experimented w/ driver length just yet, so I can't say much about that yet.

Lie angle tilt is next to nothing as far as effect when it comes to the driver. Driver loft is low, which means there is less effective tilt on face angle. The effect is very low with a driver, and much higher when you get to higher lofted clubs.

To add to this, lie angles of current drivers are significantly higher than they used to be. Many at current lengths are already presenting the driver with a toe high position.

Contrary to some belief, the lie angle does not necessarily dictate swing plane. Nor does it dictate spin axis, that is a product of face/path vs how easy/hard it is to tilt the axis...however, a primary input into that equation is loft. The lower the loft, the easier to tilt the axis, but the less effect it has on the start direction at impact.

There are quite a few others that have chimed into this thread, that are playing much shorter drivers. The added length is not a "necessity" when it comes to drivers.

2024 Building In-progress

Qi10 Core Head 9* w/ AD-DI 6S  (I heart you AD DI and will never sway from you again)
Qi10 Tour 3W with shaft TBD
Callaway UW 17* with shaft TBD

Titleist TS2 19* Hybrid at 20* w/ PX Evenflow Blue 85 6.0

4-PW Srixon ZX7s w/ DG AMT White S300s
MG2 TW Grind 56/60 at 54/58
Spider Tour X3

Rybo,

Lie angle tilt is next to nothing as far as effect when it comes to the driver. Driver loft is low, which means there is less effective tilt on face angle. The effect is very low with a driver, and much higher when you get to higher lofted clubs.

To add to this, lie angles of current drivers are significantly higher than they used to be. Many at current lengths are already presenting the driver with a toe high position.

Contrary to some belief, the lie angle does not necessarily dictate swing plane. Nor does it dictate spin axis, that is a product of face/path vs how easy/hard it is to tilt the axis...however, a primary input into that equation is loft. The lower the loft, the easier to tilt the axis, but the less effect it has on the start direction at impact.

There are quite a few others that have chimed into this thread, that are playing much shorter drivers. The added length is not a "necessity" when it comes to drivers.

Seriously what is your problem with tall people having proper length clubs for their proportions? You continually come into this thread to tell us tall people we don't need longer clubs. You are 5' 11" and have never in your life played with clubs that are too short. Have you read any of the posts from the tall golfers who are having great success with longer clubs, those who are playing longer drivers too?!?!?

Some will play shorter drivers and that's fine, but most TALL people will benefit from longer clubs. And the preconceived notion of 'many at current lengths are already presenting the driver with a high toe position' is NOT occurring for the exceptionally tall. Maybe for someone your height or average height, but I've never had a driver with a high toe position.

Rybo, You've talked a bit about how too short of a driver will guarantee popcorn fades/slices for a tall golfer. Understanding and temporarily setting aside the common arguments against this (that there are exceptions to every rule, and that there are pro golfers that have trained themselves to swing well with shorter clubs (lower back permitting!), and that in general, the longer the club, the harder it is to control (all else equal - and for a tall golfer, it's not equal!)...), would you mind elaborating a bit on why exactly this would tend to be the case? ...that a shorter club may be harder to square given the golfer's height, or whatever the rationale is? I get that a shorter driver would tend to play a bit flatter, but I doubt this accounts for the slices given the low loft. I know that personally, I will hit gargantuan banana slices with most any driver that doesn't have a heavy shaft (and am currently playing a SLDR w/ a 757 S flex that I will still slice/block fairly often). I haven't experimented w/ driver length just yet, so I can't say much about that yet. Interested to hear your thoughts as always! Thanks!
Lie angle tilt is next to nothing as far as effect when it comes to the driver. Driver loft is low, which means there is less effective tilt on face angle. The effect is very low with a driver, and much higher when you get to higher lofted clubs. To add to this, lie angles of current drivers are significantly higher than they used to be. Many at current lengths are already presenting the driver with a toe high position. Contrary to some belief, the lie angle does not necessarily dictate swing plane. Nor does it dictate spin axis, that is a product of face/path vs how easy/hard it is to tilt the axis...however, a primary input into that equation is loft. The lower the loft, the easier to tilt the axis, but the less effect it has on the start direction at impact. There are quite a few others that have chimed into this thread, that are playing much shorter drivers. The added length is not a "necessity" when it comes to drivers.
Seriously what is your problem with tall people having proper length clubs for their proportions? You continually come into this thread to tell us tall people we don't need longer clubs. You are 5' 11" and have never in your life played with clubs that are too short. Have you read any of the posts from the tall golfers who are having great success with longer clubs, those who are playing longer drivers too?!?!? Some will play shorter drivers and that's fine, but most TALL people will benefit from longer clubs. And the preconceived notion of 'many at current lengths are already presenting the driver with a high toe position' is NOT occurring for the exceptionally tall. Maybe for someone your height or average height, but I've never had a driver with a high toe position.

We've already gone down that road earlier in the thread, but we can rehash if you want. The issue with the added length in longer clubs is two fold, one it's not necessary, and two many times it's detrimental as the added length creates more control problems with club direction and finding the sweet spot. As many others have commented in your thread already, they play longer lengths in shorter irons and are even shorter than standard off the shelf lengths when it comes to drivers. They are right here, commenting in THIS thread. That should be your validation right there. The shorter drivers aren't giving them issues, and as some have already said, it gave them better results than longer lengths. Are they all reporting banana fades? No. That's because you don't quite understand the cause/effect here and what actually takes place. You are taking what you are reading, and trying to apply it to the situation, but it doesn't work the same way in reality that you think it does.

Qi10 Core Head 9* w/ AD-DI 6S  (I heart you AD DI and will never sway from you again)

Spider Tour X3

Golfrnut,

Have you stood on a curb or a box and tried to hit your driver yet? I am 100% serious. I have a great understanding of what is happening because I deal with it everyday. The person who does not have the understanding of shoulder height that can be 6" or more higher is you. But I honestly don't expect a 5' 11" person to understand this.

No need to rehash anything. It's simply geometry. Higher shoulders + minimally longer arms = higher hand heights. If a 44" or 45" driver is designed to work for the average height person and my hands are some 4" higher the choices are straight forward, bend over to reach the club or make the club longer to reach the hands. Raising hand height and not changing club length will bring the club closer to the golfer and at a much steeper angle. Math is math, have fun arguing with it.

People can't hit long irons because they are too long but can hit hybrids that are several inches longer? Really? Rory at 5' 8" plays a 45.5" driver because it's harder to hit? Miguel Jimenez is 46". Brooke Henderson is using 48", even with her gripping down still very long compared to the men. Stenson plays +1/2" on his fairways and he's only 6' 1". The average driver length on the PGA tour is just over 45" and by far the majority of the tour is within two standard deviations for height. I know facts don't matter with you but they matter.

I'm one of those playing stock length drivers after trying driver lengths of up to 48 inches. However, my current misses are a pull hook (typically off the toe) or a right block. I'm wondering if I did not give a longer diver enough time for proper evaluation. There is probably no black and white answer for this issue. I may experiment this winter.

I'm one of those playing stock length drivers after trying driver lengths of up to 48 inches. However, my current misses are a pull hook (typically off the toe) or a right block. I'm wondering if I did not give a longer diver enough time for proper evaluation. There is probably no black and white answer for this issue. I may experiment this winter.

Pull hook typically off the toe........exactly what I am talking about! Club is too short coming in toe down and likely steep, after a few dead right pushes the body takes over and you start hooding the face and forcing an overly inside out path and you have the recipe for toe hooks.

I think that golfnut's argument, which I agree with, is that there is nothing inherent in the geometry, beyond a minimum length, that dictates length. That's why a person can hit both a 9 iron and a 4 iron on the sweetspot. There is no reason that you can't make all the irons the same length, by using appropriate heads and adjusting the loft. The lie angle of the heads in this set would the same. If you can hit an 8 iron then you could hit a 4 iron at the same length and lie angle.

There is a strong sentiment on WRX that no one can hit an overlength driver or even an off the shelf driver at current OEM lengths. That is of course a generalization that is not true. There are some who can hit overlength drivers without issue and benefit from the extra length. That has very little to do with the lie angle and head geometry. The driver is hit off a tee.

In other words, if you change the lie angle for the length of the club you can play any club loft at any length. Pick the length that lets you hit it in the center.

Toe hooks are from hitting on the toe.

Golfrnut, Have you stood on a curb or a box and tried to hit your driver yet? I am 100% serious. I have a great understanding of what is happening because I deal with it everyday. The person who does not have the understanding of shoulder height that can be 6" or more higher is you. But I honestly don't expect a 5' 11" person to understand this. No need to rehash anything. It's simply geometry. Higher shoulders + minimally longer arms = higher hand heights. If a 44" or 45" driver is designed to work for the average height person and my hands are some 4" higher the choices are straight forward, bend over to reach the club or make the club longer to reach the hands. Raising hand height and not changing club length will bring the club closer to the golfer and at a much steeper angle. Math is math, have fun arguing with it. People can't hit long irons because they are too long but can hit hybrids that are several inches longer? Really? Rory at 5' 8" plays a 45.5" driver because it's harder to hit? Miguel Jimenez is 46". Brooke Henderson is using 48", even with her gripping down still very long compared to the men. Stenson plays +1/2" on his fairways and he's only 6' 1". The average driver length on the PGA tour is just over 45" and by far the majority of the tour is within two standard deviations for height. I know facts don't matter with you but they matter.

A 44" inch driver isn't even a requirement for the "average" golfer. Again, there's where your misconceptions are. In the age of steel drivers, we were a lot shorter. The only thing that has drove the length of the current drivers is marketing...trying to sell something that's longer than the previous version. Again, your justifications aren't justifications.

I already gave you perfect examples earlier in this thread. It doesn't dictate swing plane. I own a Flightscope. My swing plane is exactly the same with a standard length driver as it is with my 44" driver...right at 45*. Kuchar is tall, and is one of the flattest planed swingers out there.

You just tried to quote trackman information as a grounds of justification. You are misinterpreting the information that is given. Again, you have people in this thread that are not playing overlength drivers, listen to what they are telling you. They are already proving you wrong and that your assumptions of how the pieces all work are wrong.

And look at the story behind how Rory got to 45.5". He is also a tour level player, the less than 1%. You cannot take a sample of one person, who skills far outweigh the average player in the world, and say that's usable data for justification. Doesn't work that way. I can bring up multiple threads here that show club data from average golfers that post here that aren't even close to hitting it on center, with spin rates, smash factors, and dispersion numbers that are all over the place because they can't make solid contact with an average off the shelf length driver. My data isn't one person, it's many.

Spider Tour X3

cxx,

While I generally agree with everything you stated, please remember this thread is very specific to those golfers who are exceptionally tall. There is most certainly something in the geometry of a human body that is 10% or more larger then average. It is absolutely undeniable that shoulder heights increase at a rate of more then 2:1 over arm length leading to much higher hand heights for those of us who are very tall.

To me, being tall and playing a std. length driver is an advantage because it allows me to have a +AoA naturally. I've always gotten the max distance out of my swing speed because I can hit up on the ball and launch it high with low spin. Also, I tee the ball very high and I think a std. length driver helps me take advantage of that. I wonder how players who struggle with a -AoA would do if they shortened their driver?

The average driver length on the PGA tour is just over 45" and by far the majority of the tour is within two standard deviations for height. I know facts don't matter with you but they matter.

You are getting that info from where?

Spider Tour X3

cxx,

While I generally agree with everything you stated, please remember this thread is very specific to those golfers who are exceptionally tall. There is most certainly something in the geometry of a human body that is 10% or more larger then average. It is absolutely undeniable that shoulder heights increase at a rate of more then 2:1 over arm length leading to much higher hand heights for those of us who are very tall.

Edit: grammar

Hey, I'm all for fitting people into whatever fits for them. I just can't go for the assertions that tall person means long clubs based on an argument that is geometric. There are a lot of short players that play longer clubs and have very different swing planes than average or tall players. A friend I play with is about 7 inches taller than me and we play the same length and geometry clubs. He's got long arms and I have short arms.

I think the only thing that I object to is the geometric argument that you have used to try to prove your point which seems to be "if you are tall you need clubs that are significantly longer throughout the bag".