Metro Detroit Area Golfers (NO COVID-19, POLITICS)

MI517

First round at Fox Hills since March, today. What a great day! Sun, no wind, 38 degrees seemed perfect. Literally I was the only person on the course today.

I think the sunny and calm winds made it palatable. If you had some brisk winds and cloudiness it would have been pretty tough.

Absolutely! The sun made it easy to stroll along with just the rain suit and long underwear,

Thanksgiving golf for anyone? Most (all?) courses are closed but I imagine there are a few that don't care if a few people walk around the place. Years ago our executive course, Huron Hills, would have closed for the year around 11/15. Weather permitting, several dozen of us would wander the course for free. The flags were gone but a tree branch was a decent indicator. Several times I played on Thanksgiving after I had stuffed the turkey and put it in the oven. Super Bowl Sunday, too. Never did Christmas or New Year's Eve/New Year's Day.

Now the City keeps the course open, except for holidays. And they are a bit more vigilant about what goes on there when it is closed.

Thanksgiving golf for anyone? Most (all?) courses are closed but I imagine there are a few that don't care if a few people walk around the place. Years ago our executive course, Huron Hills, would have closed for the year around 11/15. Weather permitting, several dozen of us would wander the course for free. The flags were gone but a tree branch was a decent indicator. Several times I played on Thanksgiving after I had stuffed the turkey and put it in the oven. Super Bowl Sunday, too. Never did Christmas or New Year's Eve/New Year's Day.

Now the City keeps the course open, except for holidays. And they are a bit more vigilant about what goes on there when it is closed.

I forgot where I played last year's but I played in early December has probably did many others.

I forgot where I played last year's but I played in early December has probably did many others.

have we had an Indian summer this year?

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>Mavrik Max 4, 5, 6, 7 hybrids

>7--SW Dynacraft Prophet Muscle Blade Irons

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

>Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Putter

I played in shorts about 8 days ago...and then it snowed the next day. Not sure if that qualifies! I was out of town for about 3 weeks of late September through early November, and it sounded like it was pretty nice and unseasonably warm for a good part of that time. Going to try to get another round in tomorrow.

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
TaylorMade M2 Tour 18*, Fujikura Rombax P95x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x or Tour Issue or Titleist TSi2 21* (set to 20*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x
Cobra King RF Forged MB - 4-PW, KBS C-Taper 120 Stiff
Corey Paul 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

I played in shorts about 8 days ago...and then it snowed the next day. Not sure if that qualifies! I was out of town for about 3 weeks of late September through early November, and it sounded like it was pretty nice and unseasonably warm for a good part of that time. Going to try to get another round in tomorrow.

I am hoping for another spell of Indian summer, we'll see.

I played at my old home stomping grounds today (St. Clair Shores) for $14. The course is in fantastic shape. Arguably the best I've seen it in a few years and the greens were pure and receptive

Current WITB

TAYLORMADE M5 9* (Tensei Pro white 80tx)
PING i25 14* (KuroKage Proto 70xx)
SRIXON ZU85 2i (C-TAPER 130x)
SRIXON Z785 4-PW (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 50S (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 55W (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 60X (C-TAPER 130x)
TAYLORMADE Spider Tour Black (no alignment aid)
BRIDGESTONE TOUR Bx 

I played at my old home stomping grounds today (St. Clair Shores) for $14. The course is in fantastic shape. Arguably the best I've seen it in a few years and the greens were pure and receptive

Let me know if you want to get a round in this week. Hope your feeling better. I've got the cart cover ready to go.

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

Let me know if you want to get a round in this week. Hope your feeling better. I've got the cart cover ready to go.

I'll be playing tomorrow too, during the week I have a couple doc appointments but if I have a chance to play I'll let you know

Current WITB

TAYLORMADE M5 9* (Tensei Pro white 80tx)
PING i25 14* (KuroKage Proto 70xx)
SRIXON ZU85 2i (C-TAPER 130x)
SRIXON Z785 4-PW (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 50S (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 55W (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 60X (C-TAPER 130x)
TAYLORMADE Spider Tour Black (no alignment aid)
BRIDGESTONE TOUR Bx 

Anybody have experience with either one of these ball Mark repair tools? Especially the tool called the Twister 2.

https://www.pitchfixusa.com/product/twister2

https://www.pitchfixusa.com/product/hybrid-blacksilver/

Based on Amazon prices ($20 and $13, respectively), they seem like a waste of cash. Repairing ball marks doesn't seem like it requires a lot of technology. That Twister thing looks bulky and that it would stab you in the leg in your pocket. Personally, I have a stash of metal freebie repair tools from various courses I've played (Forest Dunes, Dallas Athletic Club, Valhalla, etc.) that I use. A tee does just fine, in a pinch, too.

TaylorMade M2 Tour 18*, Fujikura Rombax P95x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x or Tour Issue or Titleist TSi2 21* (set to 20*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x
Corey Paul 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

Anybody have experience with either one of these ball Mark repair tools? Especially the tool called the Twister 2.

https://www.pitchfixusa.com/product/twister2

https://www.pitchfixusa.com/product/hybrid-blacksilver/

Based on Amazon prices ($20 and $13, respectively), they seem like a waste of cash. Repairing ball marks doesn't seem like it requires a lot of technology. That Twister thing looks bulky and that it would stab you in the leg in your pocket. Personally, I have a stash of metal freebie repair tools from various courses I've played (Forest Dunes, Dallas Athletic Club, Valhalla, etc.) that I use. A tee does just fine, in a pinch, too.

Good points, and I don't really care for the Twister 2 device as it is to bulky. I was looking at the switchblade Style because I thought it would be better for not putting a hole in my pocket or stabbing my leg. LOL

https://www.pitchfix...roduct/twister2

https://www.pitchfix...id-blacksilver/

Good points, and I don't really care for the Twister 2 device as it is to bulky. I was looking at the switchblade Style because I thought it would be better for not putting a hole in my pocket or stabbing my leg. LOL

i bought the Hybrid at Bay Harbor this summer and really have been super satisfied with the tool. all honesty it isnt any different from a regular pitch fork. i just happen to like the switchblade factor to it

i also like to collect magnetic ball markers from courses i play that are interchangable to the device which is just a extra touch

I've got the switchblade one and I agree with 3JP - big waste of money. The outer cover is rubbery so its hard to get out of your pocket, the tangs are too far apart - it sort of tears rather than lifts, and its way to big and bulky compared to a flat metal tool you can buy for $1 at the pro shop.

In the spirit of Cyber Monday I'll sell you my hardly used one for 50% off!! :)

I've got the switchblade one and I agree with 3JP - big waste of money. The outer cover is rubbery so its hard to get out of your pocket, the tangs are too far apart - it sort of tears rather than lifts, and its way to big and bulky compared to a flat metal tool you can buy for $1 at the pro shop.

I have some standard ball repair tools from various prominent courses I have visited but was looking for something in switchblade form so it wouldn't poke a hole in my pocket or leg.

I have some standard ball repair tools from various prominent courses I have visited but was looking for something in switchblade form so it wouldn't poke a hole in my pocket or leg.

This seems like an unusual problem to have. I have never had a repair tool jab me in the leg or poke a hole in a pocket. Maybe the occasional jab from a tee, but repair tools aren't usually very sharp.

This seems like an unusual problem to have. I have never had a repair tool jab me in the leg or poke a hole in a pocket. Maybe the occasional jab from a tee, but repair tools aren't usually very sharp.

I agree. I use the Scotty tool you can get at any golf store for $13 and I've never been stabbed with it. I have lost a few over the years though.

ok, late in the season, which golf courses locally are open and what are their rates???

The three Classic nines at Fox Hills are open basically as long as people are dumb enough to be out there, though I have seen them close it because it's too wet. Their winter rate is $18, I think.

I get out of bed this morning and there laying on the floor was a ball repair tool from one of my favorite courses in Az, Gold Canyon. Maybe someone is trying to tell me something? Maybe, but I'm still going to get a switchblade style, I think?

Anybody use the Edel putter fitting System for fitting for new putter? Their putters look interesting.

Edel Putter

Fitting System

PUTTERS

Michigan

Steve Veccellio

53262 Sams Ln

Chesterfield, Michigan 48047

Phone: 586-484-2299

[email protected]

Fitting Systems

Putters, Wedges

Chad Kurmel

Forest Akers Golf Club at Michigan State University

35353 Forest Rd, Suite C88A

Lansing, MI 48910

Phone: 517-353-3521

[email protected]

Chad is a good guy. I did an AimPoint clinic with him last year (which is something I need to get back to, and commit to practicing and using it)

met a friend at X-Golf in Novi. Its a new simulator facility in Fountain Walk Plaza. Gotta say it was pretty good feedback. The 2 of us played 27 holes in 2 hours. Putting was still very simulator-y but prob the most repeatable/consistent i have seen in the area. like most sims ive played at they always seem to be juiced by a club (i hit 4i when i would usually hit 3Hy)... but easy to adjust to

all in all a enojyable experience, pricing was competitive with others in the area... recommend others to check it out

Yeah, while the weather was uncooperative I was planning on hitting up Miles of Golf in Ypsi, they got some new simulators that are pretty nice. Anyone familiar with Golfzon brand simulators?

Anybody use the Edel putter fitting System for fitting for new putter? Their putters look interesting.

Edel Putter

Fitting System

PUTTERS

Michigan

Steve Veccellio

53262 Sams Ln

Chesterfield, Michigan 48047

Phone: 586-484-2299

[email protected]

Fitting Systems

Putters, Wedges

Chad Kurmel

Forest Akers Golf Club at Michigan State University

35353 Forest Rd, Suite C88A

Lansing, MI 48910

Phone: 517-353-3521

[email protected]

Myself and a few buddies have done the edel thing but I know you weren't asking me for help since I'm an arrogant know-it-all. I don't think any of them kept putters in the bag for more than a few months, very "unique" looking. I prefer a conventional putter fitting where you can then look at specific head shapes across multiple OEM's.

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

ok, late in the season, which golf courses locally are open and what are their rates???

The three Classic nines at Fox Hills are open basically as long as people are dumb enough to be out there, though I have seen them close it because it's too wet. Their winter rate is $18, I think.

The above statement is accurate. No carts. Senior rate is a bit better (I paid $13).

We played Salem Hills on 11/29 with cart $24). I am not sure how long they will be open. Stonebridge is still taking tee time reservations for this weekend ($25-$30 w/cart). I received an email from Fellows Creek stating they will be open this winter and one may make a tee time online. No clue what their rates are or whether carts are allowed out.

Chad is a good guy. I did an AimPoint clinic with him last year (which is something I need to get back to, and commit to practicing and using it)

appreciate your input, it is quite an expensive way to go I guess with the putters costing over $300. Maybe I might go to Carl's Golfland when the company representatives are there towards Spring Time. I also think Carls offers a fitting for putters.

Who all played today? I got 14 holes in at Twin lakes. My game was garbage but I didn't really care. It was just nice to be out there this late in the season.

I got 18 holes in at Plum Brook and I don't think I have driven the ball worse than I did today its like I forgot how to hit the ball off tee. Just a beautiful day to be out there, me and my friend really enjoyed it and the chatting that went on along the way.