Playing a "Goat Track"?

Some of my best memories of golfing when I was a teenager were at goat tracks - we had one that was close to the town I grew up in, and on Mondays and Tuesdays it was $5 for under 18's to golf all day...just under 6000 yards, postage stamp greens, dirt for rough, but couldn't beat that as a poor student who still wanted to golf as much as possible :P lots of 36 and 54 and "just 9 more" hole matches played there over the years :P

Ha, I just looked at their website, and in 10 years it's gone up to a whopping $10 for juniors to golf all day...and it's $85 for a full year junior membership, up to the grand total of $500 for a 7 day membership...great stuff :P

Wish we had something like that here in Edmonton to just go and play for peanuts, different business over here unfortunately...

Sounds just like the course we played in college. $5 for as much as you wanted to play. And they acted like they appreciated us being there (even though I'm sure we were obnoxious college students). Very small, dome like greens, three par threes, fours, and fives. It was good ground though so growing grass (of some sort) wasn't much of a problem. Wasn't always the best grass, or groomed the best, but very rarely just dirt.

Man we had a lot of fun out there.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of my best memories of golfing when I was a teenager were at goat tracks - we had one that was close to the town I grew up in, and on Mondays and Tuesdays it was $5 for under 18's to golf all day...just under 6000 yards, postage stamp greens, dirt for rough, but couldn't beat that as a poor student who still wanted to golf as much as possible :P lots of 36 and 54 and "just 9 more" hole matches played there over the years :P

Ha, I just looked at their website, and in 10 years it's gone up to a whopping $10 for juniors to golf all day...and it's $85 for a full year junior membership, up to the grand total of $500 for a 7 day membership...great stuff :P

Wish we had something like that here in Edmonton to just go and play for peanuts, different business over here unfortunately...

Sounds just like the course we played in college. $5 for as much as you wanted to play. And they acted like they appreciated us being there (even though I'm sure we were obnoxious college students). Very small, dome like greens, three par threes, fours, and fives. It was good ground though so growing grass (of some sort) wasn't much of a problem. Wasn't always the best grass, or groomed the best, but very rarely just dirt.

Man we had a lot of fun out there.

The fairways were always in good (relatively speaking) shape most of the year, except when it turned into a bog in the winter, unfortunately getting baked in 40+ temperatures all summer every summer meant the little water they had from the dams on the course were used for tee boxes and greens, and the fairways got a drop every now and then if there was enough left over...certainly made it easier to find your ball if it was off the fairway though haha :P

Exactly as you said though, they were always happy for us to be out there, even when we brought friends with us who had never played before...definitely an attitude that could rub off on a few courses around, that's for sure!

I drive 4 hours each year to play in a 2-day golf tournament at what many golf aficionado's would probably call a "Goat Track". Greens are fast, sloping and quirky. Half the holes you can't see the green off the tee and there are a few that if you potentially can't see the flag on your approach. Practice round, 2 days of golf, dinner/lunch, beer and soft drinks on the course. $153 including SKINS and Calcutta!

I go back every year because of the people and it is a really great time. Not a bucket list track by any means but golf is golf. Hit it find it hit it again. Repeat until it's in the hole.

I grew up playing the Minneapolis city courses, back when they actually put the occasional dollar into course maintenance. They were fun courses for learning to play: Hiawatha, Meadowbrook, Wirth, Gross, Columbia. Occasionally we would go across town to play Como in St. Paul.

Hiawatha at $5.50 for 18 was a great deal at that time. Now only half the course is open, pending a water study that will decide its fate.

I lived right by Hiawatha but almost always drove up to play Gross instead. Never thought the city courses really were goat tracks, but that was quite a few years ago now. Always thought it would be fun to imagine what could be done to Hiawatha with some money for a redo.

as a kid in the 1970's my buddies & I would sometimes sneak over the fence at the nearby college course, which wasn't maintained at all. We'd play a few holes at twilight & finish in the dark.

In the summer the fairways were baked & rock hard. In winter the course was mud.

There were no grass tees, only rubber mats. Not artificial grass mats, but the old style door mats with wavy rubber ribbons. It was tough to get a tee to stay upright.

The thirteenth hole had gophers in the fairway who would sometimes pop out of their burrows & steal balls.

For $5 we could play 18 holes. A lot of fun.

(After a few renovations today it's a pricey public course with decent greens & grass fairways. I just can't justify $65 to play it.)

If you are ever near Oxford NY play blue stone. This is the veiw from 18 tee. You bomb is down a massive hill. It's fun.

TM SIM2 Stock Ventus

TM SIM2 MAX Rocket Oban Devotion
Callaway Rogue 17 Degree Project X Even Flow Blue
Titleist TS2 21 Degree Tensei Blue
Titleist T300 5-GW Nippon 950GH
Vokey SM6 54 + 58 KBS C Taper
Odyssey EXO 7s
Vice Pro Plus / Kirkland Signature

By far, my favorite goat track here in the IE of SoCal is Shandin Hills. I basically learned to play here. Reasonably priced, good layout (few parallel fairways, and some elevation changes), friendly service, "regular guy" clientelle. They always have good greens, and if you hit your ball where you are supposed to, there will be grass there to meet you. Otherwise, it's dirt and gopher holes.

They were hit pretty hard by the drought and water restrictions last summer, but the course is in excellent "goat track" condition right now.

Taylormade M5 9* w/Prolaunch Blue 45
Taylormade Stealth 3HL 16.5* w/Proforce V2 65 
Taylormade M2 5HL 21* w/Proforce V2 65
Adams Pro Mini Hybrids: 23*, 26* w/VS Proto 95
Srixon Zx65 Combo Irons (Z565 6, Z765 7-9, Z965 PW) w/TT AMT Black
Vokeys: SM7 52-12F, SM7 58-12D, WedgeWorks 60-10V (at 62-12), all w/Pro Modus3 115 Wedge
Odyssey DXF Doublewide

I grew up playing a goat track. Used to carry a small rubber mallet to help hammer the plastic tees into the hard tee boxes. Drives would kick and bounce all over the hard pack they called fairways. I'm not sure they even had sprinklers. But damn did we have some fun. Sadly, the course is no longer there.

My brother likes to golf a couple times a year. He's terrible, like only hits driver and 8-iron terrible. So we usually play a local goat track, figuring on a Saturday, it's a 5-6 hour round anyway, so we won't be holding anyone up. Some of the most fun rounds I play every year.

Just met an old work buddy at a local goat track. Has few back to back par 5s then back to back par 3s. Par 70, decent layout. OK greens on slower side. Feels like links golf, but def a goat track. Damn fun round, under $30 to ride a weekend morning.

Callaway BBV 10.5 Neutral w/ 44.5 inch Motore 565 speeder shaft stiff
Callaway BBV 3 Wood, 15.5 stiff, 5 Wood 19 stiff
Callaway X2 Hot 19 Hybrid stiff
Callaway X2 Hot 4-PW
Ping Glide 50 SS
Cleveland CG16 , 56
Wilson Staff Grant Park Putter

• 4 weeks later...

There was one in Lemoore, CA that definitely should be put out to pasture. I wasn't even a good golfer at the time but knew this place was the worst of worst of goat tracks. I can't remember the name of it but I can remember the condition. The "greens" (I use that word with the loosest of meanings" were just patches of grass that were cut slightly lower then the "fairways". There was no slope anywhere, no nothing. And it was, I think $25 to play it. Horrible horrible experience.

TSi2 10* w/ Trono 65x set at C1

TSi2 16.5* w/ Trono 75x set at C1

TSi2 18* w/ GD Tour AD BB 7s set at C1

VEGA VDC-01 Raw 4-P w/ Modus 120S

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

LAB DF 2.1 w/ Stability Shaft

Bridgestone Tour BXS

I'll always play somewhere ONCE. Some places that I almost ended up passing on, ended up having awesome greens or were a fun time.

Titleist TSi2 10* Driver Tensei Blue 55S
TM Sim2 Max 16.5* 3 wood Tensei Blue 60S

TM SIM2 Titanium 5 Wood Tensei Blue 65S

TM SIM2 MAx 4 Hybrid Ventus Stiff shaft
Ping G410 5-UW Alta Graphite Shafts
Vokey SM8 56* sand wedge, Vokey SM9 60* lob wedge
Black Lab Oil Can 350g custom grind by "Geo" putter

C&L 350 Milled Oil Can Putter (3 of them!)

• 2 weeks later...

I was raised and taught how to play golf in rural Alabama. The course I learned everything on is a small country course known simply as Whippoorwill. It is comically short at times and the fairways are not perfect but the owner puts his heart and soul into the greens and they always run true. As well, it has the best collection of Par 3's you will play just about anywhere. All short, but all different and challenging in their own respect. It is the definition of a goat track but there is a simplicity in playing courses like that where you get back to the basics of the game and just play.

at $240 per round, Pasatiempo in Santa Cruz, CA is not your typical 'goat track', but in 2010 for several months it brought in 150 goats to graze the vegetation in some treacherous terrain.

photo of 'Henry' and the Pasatiempo head superintendent, Paul Chojnacky, from Golf Conversations.com July 23, 2012 interview

Any course where Alister MacKenzie designed & lives on the course for last 5+yrs of his life is definitely not a goat track.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alister_MacKenzie

a Cobra KingLtd 9* Black Smoke 6.5 45"
b Ping g400 9* SpeederPro TSx84 45"
c TM 17M1 460 9.5* Matrix BlackTie X 45"

Titleist TS2 15* Hzrdus Green S 1"tip
Cobra BafflerPro19* SpeederProS .5"tip
Cobra Baffler RailH23* SpeederProS

a Callaway Apex 5-pw ProjectX 6.0 +.5"
b Callaway x20 Tour 5-pw ProjectX 6.0 +.5"
Vokey Sm7 raw aw51*, sw56*, lw60*
Cameron FuturaX SuperStroke Fatso5.0

There was one in Lemoore, CA that definitely should be put out to pasture. I wasn't even a good golfer at the time but knew this place was the worst of worst of goat tracks. I can't remember the name of it but I can remember the condition. The "greens" (I use that word with the loosest of meanings" were just patches of grass that were cut slightly lower then the "fairways". There was no slope anywhere, no nothing. And it was, I think $25 to play it. Horrible horrible experience.

Funny you mention Lemoore...I think this course might've been named Phoenix Sunrise Golf Course. The only reason I know that is because I was Google Earthing around Lemoore looking for Kelly Slater's new wave that he built and it turns out it's right next to that course. So I figure maybe he's gonna do a surf/golf park out there. BTW, the course does very much look like a goat track from GE...

There was a small 9 hole, par 27 course in the middle of town that I used to play a lot as a kid. It was fairly challenging and only $3 to play during the week. My mom used to drop me off there in the summer and I would play 18 or 27, then eat lunch and play 18 more. The tiny greens and all par 3s really helped to hone my short game growing up.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hominy Hill in Central NJ. Muni course that has had a few USGA public links championships. Doesn't look like much from the road but a really fun and challenging track that plays over 7000, and a very hilly course as well, but still an easy walk. Could really be something special, but it's not given a lot of funding.

With a few trips to Ireland and Scotland under my belt, what you call "Goat Tracks", I might call a "Local Highlight".. With ACTUAL goats... and/or sheep. As OP mentioned, just driving by and have some time to kill before actually going anywhere, why not? Put your Fiver in the honor box and take a nice walk in the countryside. Might be a pitch and putt or a 9 holer, what's the difference? It isn't always how you play, it's finding these places that aren't resorts, manicured to within an inch of the bent grass' life or overrun with "Pros from Dover" and their 24 pack stuffed in their bags.

No compressed air pipe to clean your spikes, just a stick to clear the spikes of various species poop.

• 1 month later...

Haha, have played some fun goat tracks. Played one near Tracy, Ca that

had no fairways on the back nine. You'd just look for the green and figure

out a way to get there. It was hilarious.

Also, when I lived in Gilroy, Ca, back in the early 80s we played the goat

track at Gavilan College. It was 9 holes of flatness BUT the course closed

at 5PM in the summer and they said we could walk and play it after that

time for free. So we did. It was daylight til 9PM so we could play those 9

holes over and over til dark for nothin'.

• 2 weeks later...

Hominy Hill in Central NJ. Muni course that has had a few USGA public links championships. Doesn't look like much from the road but a really fun and challenging track that plays over 7000, and a very hilly course as well, but still an easy walk. Could really be something special, but it's not given a lot of funding.

LOL Hominy Hill is not a "goat track". As you point out it's a fun and challenging muni, and also typically in very good condition. It's also #7 on the list of best public golf courses in New Jersey per Golf.com.

Indian Mountain Lakes in the Poconos (PA). That's a goat track. My father and his cousins (and previously his father and their fathers) have been golfing there for a couple of decades. 9 holes, with two sets of tees to allow you to "play 18". No tee times, no dress code, no range. The "clubhouse" is a shack. Owners live in a house next to the 18th green. One of the par 3's is 120 yards with about a 100 foot drop in elevation. And I have a blast every time I play there.

I feel like my area is home to the ultimate goat track. Swannanoa, in Afton, VA, is a pretty astounding place. It is up on top of a mountain so is always a bit cooler in the summer which is nice. As far as I can tell, there is never any really discernible difference in the grass on the fairways, tee boxes, and rough. The greens are for the most part more or less puttable, but the bunkers occasionally have some small amounts of vegetation growing out of them. Still, there's something to be said for this place. A couple of the holes could be really cool with a bunch of TLC. My favorite was the 230+ yard par 3, steeply downhill the whole way to a small green next to a pond. A few others have a lot of potential as well. It's the kind of place you can have a lot of fun with the right mindset and a few beers.

I kind of like goat tracks. Some old run down place that costs $17 to walk and run by the same folks for a hundred years. Hard as a rock in summer and a bog in the rainy season.

I'm probably more likely to pull over and play. Not every round needs to be a bucket list experience.

HaHa, I learned to Play on a goat track. I came from a single parent home and my friend's parents owned a course/range like you speak of Robin and they let she and I work around the shop and we got to play and hit balls in leu of paymemt, lol. Then when Pete left Richard's club and "retired," he bought this little course/range that epitomized "goat track," lol. So much so that Richard and his BFF found this big goat placard and put it out front by the course sign as a joke however Pete liked it and left it there, hahaha. Its funny because it was a goat track however if you stopped by it was like the king and his court as you could see Pete's brother Sam, Bob Ford, Rick Martino, Rick Smith when he was in town, not mention Jay Sigal, Mike Souchak, Harvey Ward and Duke Delcher, to name a few more, lol. So even though it wasn't much to look at, it had character and a lot of big money games were played on that goat track, hahaha. Have a nice week Robin :) Maddie

^^^^ I grew up working/playing at the local goat track. I first worked on the grounds, then moved up to mowing greens the next, summer and finally bartender the when I was old enough. I got to play free as much as I wanted when I worked there. You could lose your ball in the fairway. If you had to go into the brush to find a ball there was about a 95% chance you had a tick on you somewhere! I loved it and learned to hit tons of crap lie recovery shots there. To this day I have no fear of hitting a ball out of a divot or hitting a touch pitch/flop shot off of hard-pan. You would get 5-10 hard-pan lies a round even if you hit the ball decent. I still call home a similar 9 hole family owned goat track just down the road from the original. I always head to the goat ranch when I need to get out of my own head and work some kinks out. Brings me back to the basics mentally. I try to play there every couple of weeks, it keeps my golf focus in line.

PS. There was also a group of wild Turkeys that hung out in the far corner of the course near the river where I used to knap first thing in the am before mowing!

I kind of like goat tracks. Some old run down place that costs $17 to walk and run by the same folks for a hundred years. Hard as a rock in summer and a bog in the rainy season.

I'm probably more likely to pull over and play. Not every round needs to be a bucket list experience.

HaHa, I learned to Play on a goat track. I came from a single parent home and my friend's parents owned a course/range like you speak of Robin and they let she and I work around the shop and we got to play and hit balls in leu of paymemt, lol. Then when Pete left Richard's club and "retired," he bought this little course/range that epitomized "goat track," lol. So much so that Richard and his BFF found this big goat placard and put it out front by the course sign as a joke however Pete liked it and left it there, hahaha. Its funny because it was a goat track however if you stopped by it was like the king and his court as you could see Pete's brother Sam, Bob Ford, Rick Martino, Rick Smith when he was in town, not mention Jay Sigal, Mike Souchak, Harvey Ward and Duke Delcher, to name a few more, lol. So even though it wasn't much to look at, it had character and a lot of big money games were played on that goat track, hahaha. Have a nice week Robin :) Maddie

^^^^ I grew up working/playing at the local goat track. I first worked on the grounds, then moved up to mowing greens the next, summer and finally bartender the when I was old enough. I got to play free as much as I wanted when I worked there. You could lose your ball in the fairway. If you had to go into the brush to find a ball there was about a 95% chance you had a tick on you somewhere! I loved it and learned to hit tons of crap lie recovery shots there. To this day I have no fear of hitting a ball out of a divot or hitting a touch pitch/flop shot off of hard-pan. You would get 5-10 hard-pan lies a round even if you hit the ball decent. I still call home a similar 9 hole family owned goat track just down the road from the original. I always head to the goat ranch when I need to get out of my own head and work some kinks out. Brings me back to the basics mentally. I try to play there every couple of weeks, it keeps my golf focus in line.

PS. There was also a group of wild Turkeys that hung out in the far corner of the course near the river where I used to knap first thing in the am before mowing!

Wild Turkeys...90 or 100 proof?

Wild Turkeys...90 or 100 proof?

There was that at the 19th hole

• 4 weeks later...

I don't mind playing the goat tracks from time to time. Played one outside Houston that was named Faith Bridge (Formerly Fox Creek) with a buddy on Masters Sunday. We were trying to get in a morning round so we could watch the Masters later. It was by far the worst course I've ever played but we ended up having a good time trying different trick shots and what not. Just depends on your frame of mind. If you are wanting to play a nice course, then you should do your research. If you are not a fair weather/course golfer, then you can have some fun.