2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Metro Detroit Area Golfers (NO COVID-19, POLITICS)

MI517

Chad is a good guy. I did an AimPoint clinic with him last year (which is something I need to get back to, and commit to practicing and using it)

appreciate your input, it is quite an expensive way to go I guess with the putters costing over $300. Maybe I might go to Carl's Golfland when the company representatives are there towards Spring Time. I also think Carls offers a fitting for putters.

I went through an Edel putter fitting with Chad. He's a good guy, and the Edel fitting was the best putter fitting I've had. I've been fit at MOG and Carl's before, and the Edel putter is the only putter I've kept in the bag for an entire season

Chad is a good guy. I did an AimPoint clinic with him last year (which is something I need to get back to, and commit to practicing and using it)

appreciate your input, it is quite an expensive way to go I guess with the putters costing over $300. Maybe I might go to Carl's Golfland when the company representatives are there towards Spring Time. I also think Carls offers a fitting for putters.

I went through an Edel putter fitting with Chad. He's a good guy, and the Edel fitting was the best putter fitting I've had. I've been fit at MOG and Carl's before, and the Edel putter is the only putter I've kept in the bag for an entire season

thanks for your input, not sure what I want to do yet but I have all winter to decide.

Anybody use the Edel putter fitting System for fitting for new putter? Their putters look interesting.

Edel Putter

Fitting System

PUTTERS

Michigan

Steve Veccellio

53262 Sams Ln

Chesterfield, Michigan 48047

Phone: 586-484-2299

[email protected]

Fitting Systems

Putters, Wedges

Chad Kurmel

Forest Akers Golf Club at Michigan State University

35353 Forest Rd, Suite C88A

Lansing, MI 48910

Phone: 517-353-3521

[email protected]

I've had the edel fit by steve for just over a year now and I love oit. Highly reccommend it.

It is looking like I may need to put the clubs in the basement for a while. The temperatures won't crack 40 degrees for the next 10 days with the lows going into the 20's at night. Frozen greens. Snow showers. Rain. 2016 appears to be over barring an unusual warm spell.

there could always be a trip to Florida are Arizona?

• 2 weeks later...

I've taken an Aimpoint Express 1 class from Chad. He's very good.

any help... looking to take that next step in my game in 2017, been floating back between 7 to 4 index over the last prob two years and have been researching instructors/coaches to possibly work with.

Im a member at Twin Lakes and they recommended Larry Hamilton as he runs an academy at TL utilizing the facility, but also has an indoor facility in rochester. Anyone work with Larry and have feedback? i feel my swing has done well with practice to get me to where i am and hope Larry is the type of coach to bring some tweaks and not rebuild my whole swing. Also interested in other recommendations in the Metro Detroit area if anyone has them.

also curious to those who may see an instructor/coach, how often are you scheduling time? once a month? once a week? curious to thoughts. ive never taken lessons but am open to the thought of it as i want to improve even more

feel free to PM me to keep this thread from getting bloated. thanks.

any help... looking to take that next step in my game in 2017, been floating back between 7 to 4 index over the last prob two years and have been researching instructors/coaches to possibly work with.

Im a member at Twin Lakes and they recommended Larry Hamilton as he runs an academy at TL utilizing the facility, but also has an indoor facility in rochester. Anyone work with Larry and have feedback? i feel my swing has done well with practice to get me to where i am and hope Larry is the type of coach to bring some tweaks and not rebuild my whole swing. Also interested in other recommendations in the Metro Detroit area if anyone has them.

also curious to those who may see an instructor/coach, how often are you scheduling time? once a month? once a week? curious to thoughts. ive never taken lessons but am open to the thought of it as i want to improve even more

I'd like to read people's thoughts too....

I'm in a similar situation to you. My index has been in the 0-3 range over the past several years, but I lack consistency, and have been in a cycle where I play well for a while, and completely lose it for a period of time, and then find it again. I have seen an instructor out at Miles of Golf for a few years, basically when I fall into a rough patch, and he has usually gotten me straightened out within one session.

I got really frustrated wit how I'd been playing around early September (including an embarrassingly bad performance in the Michigan Mid Am), and with the lack of any sustained improvement, and I just quit golf for 6 weeks. It wasn't fun, and I didn't play until I really felt like I wanted to again. Before I started playing again, I contacted my instructor about really committing to a plan to work on the underlying problems in my swing, and we figured out a rough framework of a plan to attack those issues.

We started the week after Thanksgiving, and met once a week the first 3 weeks. We're taking a couple week break due to the holidays, but will be picking it up again the first week of January. I think within a week or two into next year, we're probably going to move to half sessions, where it's more a matter of monitoring progress, and trying to ingrained what we're working out.

The other part is putting in the time on my own and practicing regularly. I've been pretty good about hitting balls 2 or 3 times a week in addition to the lessons. Carl's in Plymouth is near my house, and Oasis is pretty close to my office. The dome isn't my favorite, but it's a good option to go practice for a half hour at lunch and/or when it's too cold for the outdoor heated ranges like at Carl's and Miles. I also want to play a few rounds at the simulators at Miles in the new year. It'll be interesting to take it "to the course"

If you're interested in more specific info about what I'm working on, I have a thread going in the Instruction forum:

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1416912-my-winter-swing-overhaul/page__fromsearch__1

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Epon AF-306 4i + Epon AF-Tour CB2 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125X
Corey Paul 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

any help... looking to take that next step in my game in 2017, been floating back between 7 to 4 index over the last prob two years and have been researching instructors/coaches to possibly work with...

I'm in a similar situation to you. My index has been in the 0-3 range over the past several years, but I lack consistency, and have been in a cycle where I play well...

If you're interested in more specific info about what I'm working on, I have a thread going in the Instruction forum:

http://www.golfwrx.c...__fromsearch__1

i will def check out that thread... im really looking to do something similar, start with 4-5 hour sessions... then 30 min tuneups as the weather starts to turn and maybe check in a couple times in the season... would be nice to have a relationship with a coach like that

have a 2017 goal of playing in a couple GAM events and not embarrassing myself haha

have a 2017 goal of playing in a couple GAM events and not embarrassing myself haha

Don't be afraid to sign up for GAM events--most people who have played in a number of them have had a few rounds they'd rather forget, myself included. But in just about every tournament round I've played from Michigan AM qualifiers to the Mid Am, somebody has shot 100 or worse. Even my worst rounds, I've never been close to dead.

If you're looking for a good GAM tournament to start with, the Mid Am is a good option. As long as you meet the handicap requirement (5.4, or less), you can sign up, and there's no qualifier. It's two days up at Boyne Highlands the Thursday and Friday before Labor Day, so it's easy to make it into a little vacation at the end of summer, and it's a very well run tournament like all the GAM events. There's also net events if you're into that, and some team competitions that can be fun.

Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Corey Paul 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

Don't be afraid to sign up for GAM events--most people who have played in a number of them have had a few rounds they'd rather forget, myself included. But in just about every tournament round I've played from Michigan AM qualifiers to the Mid Am, somebody has shot 100 or worse. Even my worst rounds, I've never been close to dead.

If you're looking for a good GAM tournament to start with, the Mid Am is a good option. As long as you meet the handicap requirement (5.4, or less), you can sign up, and there's no qualifier. It's two days up at Boyne Highlands the Thursday and Friday before Labor Day, so it's easy to make it into a little vacation at the end of summer, and it's a very well run tournament like all the GAM events. There's also net events if you're into that, and some team competitions that can be fun.

interesting, that is good to know... if there was a time i would shoot 100 it would be in a tournament thou haha

also read all your lesson thread, some very interesting stuff in there... have to agree that on top of working on some fixes, its the commitment to getting out there and grinding that will show the fruits of your work... ive always been a range at least 2 times a week guy and it helps, but would be nice to work with an instructor and then have actual goals at the practice range. not just "hit 5 fades, hit 5 draws, 40 yard pitches, etc." but to have concrete goals for a session

interesting, that is good to know... if there was a time i would shoot 100 it would be in a tournament thou haha

also read all your lesson thread, some very interesting stuff in there... have to agree that on top of working on some fixes, its the commitment to getting out there and grinding that will show the fruits of your work... ive always been a range at least 2 times a week guy and it helps, but would be nice to work with an instructor and then have actual goals at the practice range. not just "hit 5 fades, hit 5 draws, 40 yard pitches, etc." but to have concrete goals for a session

When it goes off the rails in a tournament, it can get ugly. The 2nd round of the Mid Am this year, I had no idea where it was going off the tee. I was reduced to hitting a 3 iron equivalent off most tees, and on a few holes where there was lots of room, I could steer a 3 wood somewhere in play. I had to play super defensively just to break 90. I can only think of one other tournament where I've ever felt that lost on a golf course.

I could really stand to set some more concrete goals for my practice. Right now, I'm just trying to make every swing with my shoulders rotating correctly, and keeping my left arm extended through the strike. That, and I'm trying to hit a cut (I have primarily hit a draw for a long time). Having the regular guidance and building on what I'm doing from session to session seems like it's been helpful so far.

I've been working with Dave VanLoozen at Oakland Yard (he's at Oasis on the weekends)- he's fantastic. He uses Trackman and will send you videos/analysis after each lesson, telling you what to work on. He will also distribute your Trackman statistics to you as well.

I plan on going to him every other week for the next 10 weeks, at which point I will probably see him on a monthly basis when the season opens.

On a related note- Oakland Yard is great for a dome. $10/hour (they don't stop you at an hour) for the range and it's twice the size of Oasis, who want $18/hour and will alert you immediately once your hour is done. Also, if you have a lesson with Dave the range balls are free before and after the lesson.

Highly recommend Dave!

On a related note- Oakland Yard is great for a dome. $10/hour (they don't stop you at an hour) for the range and it's twice the size of Oasis, who want $18/hour and will alert you immediately once your hour is done. Also, if you have a lesson with Dave the range balls are free before and after the lesson.

Thanks for the Oakland Yard suggestion - never heard of it! I'm off all next week and I was going to go to Carl's on Tuesday and then meet my wife for lunch. (she's working) Maybe I'll head over there instead of freezing my you-know-whats-off hitting outside.

The place looks huuuge!

Just want to wish everyone a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year (and lots of golf in 2017)!

Thanks for the Oakland Yard suggestion - never heard of it! I'm off all next week and I was going to go to Carl's on Tuesday and then meet my wife for lunch. (she's working) Maybe I'll head over there instead of freezing my you-know-whats-off hitting outside.

The place looks huuuge!

Just want to wish everyone a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year (and lots of golf in 2017)!

They are closed next week for the holiday, just a heads up.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys -

Has anyone had any experience with Trevor Parkinson in Rochester hills for lessons? Have been looking for someone to work with. If not, any other suggestions?

My game fell to bits and pieces last year around June. I worked with Trevor and he was VERY technical. With my learning style, it just wasn't a good fit. Smart guy and very knowledgeable, but the technicality of the lesson made things worse than when I started. Keep in mind that i'm a 95-100 golfer, so if you have a good grasp on your swing and are looking for a tweak, he might work for you.

Driver-SIM2 9* 

3 wood-TM SIM 14* 
5 wood-TM SIM 18*
3H- Ping G400
5i-Ping g700 
6-PW Ping i500 
AW/SW/LW- Titleist SM8
Putter-Evnroll EV5 Black
Ball-Bridgestone B X/Prov1x Yellow

Today, open east side are= sylvan glen, sanctuary lake and rackham

played yesterday, both sanctuary and sylvan jammed packed, 20.00 either place

s lakes, only 16 holes and 3 temp greens, they closed numer 8 and 9 from the water break

sylvan, walking only, thats were I played yesterday, real wet, to be expected, greens plugged , that balls were almost completely under the surface

on approach shots.

But it's January, so its all bonus golf, can't ask for more than that.

I think Sanctuary Lake will be open.