#TheWRX: The EPIC Event at Callaway Golf. 8 Members are treated to TheWRX

I was ecstatic that i made a birdie at Torrey (second hole). And played pretty OK on the front considering i hadn't played an outdoor round in a month (i was 39 on the front i think). The back was tougher

Matt was having difficulty remembering which holes he didn't birdie.

Total length from tees you guys played?

Jeff can chime in with meters.

I think it was 6600 - 6700 yds but played like it was 9,000,000 yds.

That's like 12 meters I think.

Follow our Two Guys Talkin Golf (TG2) Podcast on Instagram + Twitter + iTunes + SoundCloud
 Click here to grab a new "circle" avatar

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My review. I'll add some pics when I get home tonight.

First off, I want to thank HipCheck and Golfwrx for setting this up and picking me to be a part of it. I also cannot give enough thanks to Callaway. They went out of their way to make sure we were taken care of. Their hospitality, generosity, and friendliness is off the charts. Sean said it in an earlier post that they really love their job and you can see the passion in their actions. Everyone we met made us feel welcome. I flew with 3 of the Callaway guys from San Diego to Philadelphia. They were heading to a meeting on the east coast and I was on my first leg home. They came over to me in the SD airport to chat and them met me again in Philly while we were walking to our connections. Class group!

What an awesome trip! Very busy with very little down time until we made it back to the hotel. We'd hang for a bit over a beverage or two rehashing the day and then hit the sack, or in my case the sofa near the fire pit as seen several pages back

Sunday, QMany and I were on the same flight into SD, get to the hotel around 1 and do a nice meet and greet with the guys until around 4 when we headed out to the Ely Callaway Performance Center for a reception and putter fitting. We had a putting contest and a long drive contest in the simulator while there. Mackep won the putting and QMany crushed the driver. 319 on simulator if I remember correctly.

Putter fitting – I ended up the new “can't say that” putter model #1. Updated heel-toe blade like I am playing now. I went through about 15 putters of different material and style until the fitter determined this was best. 35", +1* up. Super Stroke paddle, counterbalanced. More drinks when we got back and then the picture in the thread of me snoozing on the couch around the fire-pit.

Monday was fitting day. They had the new wedges out as well as about 4 bags of the MD3s. We were hitting those and there was a lot of people milling around. I was taking nice smooth swings with the 54 and pretty happy that I wasn't shanking anything, when someone behind me told to chip to one of the signs in front of me. Roger Cleveland! He came up and offered some tips. He told me that I just need to trust the clubs and myself. Stop trying to be perfect and accelerate through the ball. Pretty cool. He is very approachable and extremely friendly. He gave Waterboy about a 15 minute impromptu lesson.

Then they broke us up into 2 groups. My group got the tech tour first, talking to the design and R&D team that created the new "2017 Callaway Driver". Pretty cool info on how they made the driver and irons. Most of the tech talk went zooming over my head, but I got the gist of it.

On to the fitting. We had shipped our gamer 6 iron and driver out there for comparison purposes.

My gamers:

Ping G25, 9.5*, Blur 005 Red, stiff

6 iron – Callaway XR, KBS Tour V 110g, + ½”

I have a pretty steep angle of attack and put a lot of spin on the ball. A little over the top cut. After warming up with my 6, I starting hitting their irons, 7 irons. I went through everything I was interested in and checked the numbers on trackman. I was surprised that my best dispersion/distance/consistency was with the Steelhead XR. I was really expecting to walk away with the Apex or the pro series of a line to reduce the offset. I already play the XR, so this makes sense. The new design gives the appearance of less offset. The shaft ended up being the Recoil 110g, +1/2". The recoil feels great and smooth. They should help with some old man maladies creeping in. Looking at the numbers, there was no great distance jump. The XRs are very long. The big difference was the shaft. The Recoils are easier to load and no vibration.

Hybrids #3 and #4 are the Steelhead. The #3 hybrid was giving me similar distance but much less spin and better accuracy than the 5 wood I tested. I might still pick up a 5 wood or keep mine for some of the courses I play.

Fairways -I ended up hitting a 4 wood better than the 3 wood, higher and straighter with the same distance, so I have the XR 4 wood that I flew 240 at Torrey a few times. Might not get the 3 wood.

Then to the driver. I am fairly steep with my swing. My Ping was giving my 3300 rpm spin and about 240 carry with little roll. Into the wind, I maxed out at 248 - 250 on trackman. The standard new driver brought the spin down to 2900-3000 and about 3-4 mph increased ball speed. I was up to 252 carry and close to 260 after roll. Then I tried the low spin version, 9* adjusted to 10 and got the same ball speed with 2600-2800 spin. That got me another 3-4 yds of roll. Total average increase of about 13-14 yards.

Out to Torrey South on Tuesday. 2 Golfwrx with 2 Cally in each group. I played with MtlJeff and #Chad and Mark Letosky from Cally. Chad is on the marketing team and Mark is chief of operations. Great guys. We had carts and caddies. We walked while the caddies moved the carts and got distances, etc. Mark would occasionally ask about our games, the equip, etc. Awesome course. The rough is brutal. In some places, it was hard to move the ball 100 yards. Around the green, it was hard to get enough on a pitch or chip. Went 41-45 or an 86. Kind of limped in. 2 highlights of the round. The first drive in front of 50 or so people, hammered (for me) down the pipe about 270 yds. And a birdie on #3, par 3 downhill to the cliff above the ocean. Beautiful hole.

I had more fun than anyone should be able to have.

I'm leaving on my honeymoon early Saturday morning, so I'm going to dedicate some time today and tomorrow to getting a comprehensive trip recap finished.

But if any of you have questions, please let us know. There was a lot of information to digest, and I'm sure it will be hard to remember and include everything in our recaps.

Congrats!

Not sure if you saw in my earlier comment (or I missed the reply) but who signed the head cover?

Mizuno JPX900 EvoIII S (weights center channel port 1 & 2)
Mizuno GT190 Atmos Blue 6S
Mizuno CLK 19* Speeder EVO HB S
Titleist 4i AMT S300
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5-G KBS Tour
Mizuno S18 54.8/58.8
Carbon Ringo 1/4
Balls : 2017 ProV1x / KSig / Vice Pro+

Not sure if you saw in my earlier comment (or I missed the reply) but who signed the head cover?

Yeah, it was Phil Mickelson. I was told the driver and putter headcovers were used and then signed by him.

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

First off, I want to thank HipCheck and Golfwrx for setting this up and picking me to be a part of it. I also cannot give enough thanks to Callaway. They went out of their way to make sure we were taken care of. Their hospitality, generosity, and friendliness is off the charts. Sean said it in an earlier post that they really love their job and you can see the passion in their actions. Everyone we met made us feel welcome. I flew with 3 of the Callaway guys from San Diego to Philadelphia. They were heading to a meeting on the east coast and I was on my first leg home. They came over to me in the SD airport to chat and them met me again in Philly while we were walking to our connections. Class group!

What an awesome trip! Very busy with very little down time until we made it back to the hotel. We'd hang for a bit over a beverage or two rehashing the day and then hit the sack, or in my case the sofa near the fire pit as seen several pages back

Sunday, QMany and I were on the same flight into SD, get to the hotel around 1 and do a nice meet and greet with the guys until around 4 when we headed out to the Ely Callaway Performance Center for a reception and putter fitting. We had a putting contest and a long drive contest in the simulator while there. Mackep won the putting and QMany crushed the driver. 319 on simulator if I remember correctly.

Putter fitting – I ended up the new “can't say that” putter model #1. Updated heel-toe blade like I am playing now. I went through about 15 putters of different material and style until the fitter determined this was best. 35", +1* up. Super Stroke paddle, counterbalanced. More drinks when we got back and then the picture in the thread of me snoozing on the couch around the fire-pit.

Monday was fitting day. They had the new wedges out as well as about 4 bags of the MD3s. We were hitting those and there was a lot of people milling around. I was taking nice smooth swings with the 54 and pretty happy that I wasn't shanking anything, when someone behind me told to chip to one of the signs in front of me. Roger Cleveland! He came up and offered some tips. He told me that I just need to trust the clubs and myself. Stop trying to be perfect and accelerate through the ball. Pretty cool. He is very approachable and extremely friendly. He gave Waterboy about a 15 minute impromptu lesson.

Then they broke us up into 2 groups. My group got the tech tour first, talking to the design and R&D team that created the new "2017 Callaway Driver". Pretty cool info on how they made the driver and irons. Most of the tech talk went zooming over my head, but I got the gist of it.

On to the fitting. We had shipped our gamer 6 iron and driver out there for comparison purposes.

My gamers:

I have a pretty steep angle of attack and put a lot of spin on the ball. A little over the top cut. After warming up with my 6, I starting hitting their irons, 7 irons. I went through everything I was interested in and checked the numbers on trackman. I was surprised that my best dispersion/distance/consistency was with the Steelhead XR. I was really expecting to walk away with the Apex or the pro series of a line to reduce the offset. I already play the XR, so this makes sense. The new design gives the appearance of less offset. The shaft ended up being the Recoil 110g, +1/2". The recoil feels great and smooth. They should help with some old man maladies creeping in. Looking at the numbers, there was no great distance jump. The XRs are very long. The big difference was the shaft. The Recoils are easier to load and no vibration.

Hybrids #3 and #4 are the Steelhead. The #3 hybrid was giving me similar distance but much less spin and better accuracy than the 5 wood I tested. I might still pick up a 5 wood or keep mine for some of the courses I play.

Fairways -I ended up hitting a 4 wood better than the 3 wood, higher and straighter with the same distance, so I have the XR 4 wood that I flew 240 at Torrey a few times. Might not get the 3 wood.

Then to the driver. I am fairly steep with my swing. My Ping was giving my 3300 rpm spin and about 240 carry with little roll. Into the wind, I maxed out at 248 - 250 on trackman. The standard new driver brought the spin down to 2900-3000 and about 3-4 mph increased ball speed. I was up to 252 carry and close to 260 after roll. Then I tried the low spin version, 9* adjusted to 10 and got the same ball speed with 2600-2800 spin. That got me another 3-4 yds of roll. Total average increase of about 13-14 yards.

Out to Torrey South on Tuesday. 2 Golfwrx with 2 Cally in each group. I played with MtlJeff and #Chad and Mark Letosky from Cally. Chad is on the marketing team and Mark is chief of operations. Great guys. We had carts and caddies. We walked while the caddies moved the carts and got distances, etc. Mark would occasionally ask about our games, the equip, etc. Awesome course. The rough is brutal. In some places, it was hard to move the ball 100 yards. Around the green, it was hard to get enough on a pitch or chip. Went 41-45 or an 86. Kind of limped in. 2 highlights of the round. The first drive in front of 50 or so people, hammered (for me) down the pipe about 270 yds. And a birdie on #3, par 3 downhill to the cliff above the ocean. Beautiful hole.

Glad you guys got a chance to experience Torrey South in its intended state. In the summer (especially this year with North closed) it gets beat up, rough cut short for PoP, and overall a bit of a waste of money for out of towners if you ask me. However, with Farmers around the corner and the weather just about perfect they bring her back to life and she is feisty when they do. Not sure what the greens were rolling but when they have them nearer the tourney speeds it gives you so much respect for the guys on tour. You absolutely CAN NOT miss above the hole, the rough will eat you alive and you'll have no chance to get up and down. For a course with hardly any OB and very little penalizing hazard areas a Par can turn into Double so very quick.

TaylorMade Stealth 7.25º | Fujikura Ventus Black 6X
TaylorMade SIM2 13.5º | Diamana Thump 75X
Cobra F6 Baffler 17.5º | Diamana Thump 85X
Titleist T100s | Dynamic Gold X7
TaylorMade MG3 50º, 55º, 60º Hi Toe  | Dynamic Gold X7
PXG One & Done | Armlock

My gamers:

Great review dude! Thanks for the info!

I was ecstatic that i made a birdie at Torrey (second hole). And played pretty OK on the front considering i hadn't played an outdoor round in a month (i was 39 on the front i think). The back was tougher

I was thinking 12 meters as well..

Man it sucks you can't like a marshalls post sometimes.

Heres an arbitrary one for you: 1

I was thinking 12 meters as well..

Man it sucks you can't like a marshalls post sometimes.

Heres an arbitrary one for you: 1

Haha I appreciate it.

Follow our Two Guys Talkin Golf (TG2) Podcast on Instagram + Twitter + iTunes + SoundCloud

12formul.gif

Ping G425 LST w Accra TZ6CB      M5 Rocket 14* Accra RPG 472    CBX119 18* EvenFlow Black 
Mizuno MP20 MMC w KBS $Taper     Mizuno T22  50, 54, 60 - DG TI S400     LAB Mezz1 Max    OldSkool Ping L8
#TeamJetSpeed - Dec 2013

Big Easy!

It was already really close every time we played and now you have gotten longer, a putter that fits and wedgucated by the man himself.... oh man.

Congrats and well deserved!

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

Having a Canadian there was weird. Here is a list of why:

-I had to ask them to take me off the group text because it would've cost me like 500$ due to my Canadian plan

-All week guys were giving me temperatures in Fahrenheit and i constantly thought it was warmer then it was

-I used the metric system constantly

-At least one member texted someone there to ask if i pronounce O's funny and say "eh" a lot (which i do)

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

12formul.gif

Hahaha yes. That's it.

Ball gets extra carry though if it's REALLY hot out in Canada though. Like 4 degrees or something.

Where do I start? Well I guess when I received the notification that I was selected. I was shocked. Truly. I didn’t think someone in their 60s would get the nod. However, our group ended up being very eclectic age wise: 20s, 30s, 40s, 50s, and 60.

When I left Boston it was a balmy 14 degrees with the windchill.

I arrived in San Diego to sunny and mid-60s weather, as well as a driver in a BMW that had more room in the back seat than any other car I have been in. It was a most pleasant ride with a lot to see.

The Cape Rey hotel was where we stayed, and the ocean was across the street. A beautiful place with a very friendly and accommodating staff. I was greeted to this when I walked into the hotel room . I was not expecting that! Perhaps a hat, glove, and polo but…again I was shocked. Johnny Rodriguez was our “chaperone” and he took very good care of us. A truly nice man, passionate about his work, and very happy to see us.

Our first event was that evening at the Eli Callaway Performance Center (ECPC), where we had a very eclectic outdoor buffet style dinner, as well as our putting fittings. There was also putting on their practice greens, where holes were set up for a bit of competition, as well as a long drive contest in the simulator.

I had my putter fitting with Nick Arther. He was very thorough, patient and accommodating. After much trial and error we settled on the Odyssey Versa 1W Tank at 38-inches and 2 degrees flat. The putter felt good and looks good. I like the insert and how it gets the ball rolling quickly.

The next day we arrived early to the ECPC. This was the day of our fittings. We were divided into groups, with one group receiving their fittings while the other group attended two “classes”, one of which went into considerable detail on the new driver, including multiple models of the drivers in various pieces. The next class was about the irons, and how they were created. We also saw cross sections of the irons and how the materials used were decided upon.

My fitting:

I met with Nick, the gentleman who did my putter fitting, is a Senior Club Performance Specialist. The fitting was done outdoors, on grass, using Trackman. He first had me hit my 6-iron (we shipped our 6-iron and driver to Callaway), to create a baseline. I tried a variety of heads and shafts and we settled on the Apex CF16 irons, with the UST Recoil 460 F4, 6 through AW. The irons are +2-inches, and two degrees upright. These irons felt terrific and is my first set of forged irons. I was hitting the Apex CF16 7-iron longer than my Steelhead XR 6-iron.

I told Nick I had three hybrids, but hit the 22-degrees and the 19-degrees a bit low. He fit me for a Steelhead XR 16 5-hybrid (25-degrees), with the Matrix Ozik Program F15 65 grams, stiff flex. I elevated the shots nicely, and it had a good, solid feel to it. The club was built at +1-inch.

Since I was having trouble with the aforementioned hybrids, he had me hit 9-wood and Heavenwood in the unreleased model. I had great success with these clubs. I hit them nice and high, without ballooning. They felt really, really good. I was pretty excited by these two clubs as I found something I can hit high, and land soft. The 9-wood was set to 23º and the Heavenwood to 20 degrees. Both came with the Diamana 50 x5ct in stiff flex, +.5 inches.

Next I hit the 3-wood in the unreleased model. I was hitting that as far as my previous driver (XR16). It too felt solid. In fact, I was very impressed with these fairway woods. I think Callaway has a real winner with these. He decided on 16-degrees with the Diamana 50 x5ct in stiff flex, +.5 inches.

Next came the driver. I hit mine to get a baseline, then the unreleased driver, both the regular and Sub-Zero. While a got 200 less RPMs with the SZ I was more consistent with the regular one. I also gained 14 mph of ball speed. Now that doesn’t mean I will get the same results on every drive, but it was encouraging. The shaft is the Diamana 40 x5ct in regular flex. I think the gains I saw were due, in part to the shaft, but it was the club head itself that provided most of the gain I saw. It is a very solid club head, and as I said previously it has the feel/sound of the doors on a Mercedes Benz and BMW when you close them. The technology in the club is substantially different (same with the fairway woods), and I am sure was the major contributor. We stayed with standard length: 45.5 inches.

Next came the wedges. These new forged wedges are terrific (more about that below). I was fit for the 54/10 MD Forged and 58/10 degree PM MD forged. The 54 has the C grind and the 58 the U grind. What was cool about this aspect of the fitting was that Roger Cleveland was around to answer questions, give tips, and the like. A very nice gentleman.

All the clubs have the Golf Pride CP2 Wrap grips.

Nick also gave me a golf lesson. What he has me doing feels awkward, but when I do it correctly the results are very good.

Nick was a great fitter, he was patient, kind, and did a thorough job to ensure I got the correct set-up for my game.

Our clubs being built by the same folks who build clubs for Callaway's professional staff:

Later in the afternoon, we had a roundtable discussion with Chip Brewer, Harry Arnett, and Alan Hocknell. It was fun as well as informative. We could have gone on and on, but we had to leave for dinner at the hotel. Callaway is very passionate about what they do, and their customers. Everyone involved showed that passion and dedication, and you could see it was genuine, as well as their genuine happiness to have us there. In a previous life I was a cash management consultant for an international bank, and our clients were multinational corporations. I have consulted with just about any kind of corporation you can think of: from a condom manufacturer to a major defense and aerospace contractor that built missile, among other things. And, in all the companies I visited not one had the corporate culture I found at Callaway. I know one of the reasons they are successful is because of that corporate culture. Everyone is seen as valuable, and everyone feels valuable. This translates into a dedicated staff, committed to what they do.

Torrey Pines South. What can I say? The most beautiful golf course I have ever seen. They were already preparing the course for the Farmers. I played from 6300 yards and the rest of the fellows played from 6700 yards (the starter told us what the course was playing).

I was surprised I could hit the Heaven and 9 woods out of the rough, which was quite penal. The wedges stood out as well. I was playing a yet to be released golf ball, and I could get the ball to hop and stop (and a couple of times spin back), which allowed me to be aggressive with my chips and pitches. The 58 performed terrific out of the bunkers. I hit a few good drives, and it felt very good. I only hit 4 iron shots all day because 6300 yards was a bit above my pay grade. The forward tees would have been too short. We had two caddies, which was great. I played with mackepa, and two gentlemen from Callaway, Nate and Dave. Mackepa could really play, as well as the Nate and Dave. Mackepa hit some great drives and iron shots into the green. I think he had three birdies.

I got to see everyone tee off, except the last group, and all the WRX’ers could really scoot the ball out there, especially QMany…who shot a 70. :-)

All in all it was a terrific experience and exceeded any and all of my expectations. Mackepa is a great guy and we had a number of conversations: the youngest and the oldest. :-) It was great to finally meet MtlJeff, as we have known each other for a long time, but never met. It was also great to meet Zak and HipCheck. I have also know Zak for quite a while, and wrote some articles for him early on. HipCheck is a very nice guy and GolfWRX is very luck to have both of them on their staff. It was also great to meet the rest of the crew. I think we had a great group of guys, and we represented golf all across the spectrum.

When I left San Diego, I was able to snap a shot of MCRD (Marine Corps Recruit Depot), where I went to boot camp.

I am sure I left some things out, if so, perhaps one of the other attendees will mention it. If you have any questions, please let me know and I will do my best to answer them.

Best regards,

Sean

Having a Canadian there was weird. Here is a list of why:

-I had to ask them to take me off the group text because it would've cost me like 500$ due to my Canadian plan

-All week guys were giving me temperatures in Fahrenheit and i constantly thought it was warmer then it was

-I used the metric system constantly

-At least one member texted someone there to ask if i pronounce O's funny and say "eh" a lot (which i do)

Think about all of the good things..

You could probably out drink most of the guys

The exchange rate...wait nope that doesn't work out to well for you.

No one asked you for a donut? ( how I met your mother).....the tv show

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

- I've never met him but reading Sean's posts give me the same vibe, literally too nice.

- This is why playing with locals from the board isn't weird IMO. 90% of the time the guys will be cool and I can put up with 1 round with someone who isnt, happens all the time anyways on vacation or as a single. Check the regional boards and get out of your comfort zone.

Thank you! :-)

@gregh729

Did I miss it ? What wedges did you end up with and driver shaft?

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s

T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 50/12F KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 54/10S KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 58/08M KBS Tour

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto 
Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

Looks like that driver just wants too go long and straight in videos!

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s

T150's 5-PW KBS Tour

Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

Can you guys talk about the new ball?

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s

T150's 5-PW KBS Tour

Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

Where do I start? Well I guess when I received the notification that I was selected. I was shocked. Truly. I didn’t think someone in their 60s would get the nod. However, our group ended up being very eclectic age wise: 20s, 30s, 40s, 50s, and 60.

When I left Boston it was a balmy 14 degrees with the windchill.

I arrived in San Diego to sunny and mid-60s weather, as well as a driver in a BMW that had more room in the back seat than any other car I have been in. It was a most pleasant ride with a lot to see.

The Cape Rey hotel was where we stayed, and the ocean was across the street. A beautiful place with a very friendly and accommodating staff. I was greeted to this when I walked into the hotel room . I was not expecting that! Perhaps a hat, glove, and polo but…again I was shocked. Johnny Rodriguez was our “chaperone” and he took very good care of us. A truly nice man, passionate about his work, and very happy to see us.

Our first event was that evening at the Eli Callaway Performance Center (ECPC), where we had a very eclectic outdoor buffet style dinner, as well as our putting fittings. There was also putting on their practice greens, where holes were set up for a bit of competition, as well as a long drive contest in the simulator.

I had my putter fitting with Nick Arther. He was very thorough, patient and accommodating. After much trial and error we settled on the Odyssey Versa 1W Tank at 38-inches and 2 degrees flat. The putter felt good and looks good. I like the insert and how it gets the ball rolling quickly.

The next day we arrived early to the ECPC. This was the day of our fittings. We were divided into groups, with one group receiving their fittings while the other group attended two “classes”, one of which went into considerable detail on the new driver, including multiple models of the drivers in various pieces. The next class was about the irons, and how they were created. We also saw cross sections of the irons and how the materials used were decided upon.

My fitting:

I met with Nick, the gentleman who did my putter fitting, is a Senior Club Performance Specialist. The fitting was done outdoors, on grass, using Trackman. He first had me hit my 6-iron (we shipped our 6-iron and driver to Callaway), to create a baseline. I tried a variety of heads and shafts and we settled on the Apex CF16 irons, with the UST Recoil 460 F4, 6 through AW. The irons are +2-inches, and two degrees upright. These irons felt terrific and is my first set of forged irons. I was hitting the Apex CF16 7-iron longer than my Steelhead XR 6-iron.

I told Nick I had three hybrids, but hit the 22-degrees and the 19-degrees a bit low. He fit me for a Steelhead XR 16 5-hybrid (25-degrees), with the Matrix Ozik Program F15 65 grams, stiff flex. I elevated the shots nicely, and it had a good, solid feel to it. The club was built at +1-inch.

Since I was having trouble with the aforementioned hybrids, he had me hit 9-wood and Heavenwood in the unreleased model. I had great success with these clubs. I hit them nice and high, without ballooning. They felt really, really good. I was pretty excited by these two clubs as I found something I can hit high, and land soft. The 9-wood was set to 23º and the Heavenwood to 20 degrees. Both came with the Diamana 50 x5ct in stiff flex, +.5 inches.

Next I hit the 3-wood in the unreleased model. I was hitting that as far as my previous driver (XR16). It too felt solid. In fact, I was very impressed with these fairway woods. I think Callaway has a real winner with these. He decided on 16-degrees with the Diamana 50 x5ct in stiff flex, +.5 inches.

Next came the driver. I hit mine to get a baseline, then the unreleased driver, both the regular and Sub-Zero. While a got 200 less RPMs with the SZ I was more consistent with the regular one. I also gained 14 mph of ball speed. Now that doesn’t mean I will get the same results on every drive, but it was encouraging. The shaft is the Diamana 40 x5ct in regular flex. I think the gains I saw were due, in part to the shaft, but it was the club head itself that provided most of the gain I saw. It is a very solid club head, and as I said previously it has the feel/sound of the doors on a Mercedes Benz and BMW when you close them. The technology in the club is substantially different (same with the fairway woods), and I am sure was the major contributor. We stayed with standard length: 45.5 inches.

Next came the wedges. These new forged wedges are terrific (more about that below). I was fit for the 54/10 MD Forged and 58/10 degree PM MD forged. The 54 has the C grind and the 58 the U grind. What was cool about this aspect of the fitting was that Roger Cleveland was around to answer questions, give tips, and the like. A very nice gentleman.

All the clubs have the Golf Pride CP2 Wrap grips.

Nick also gave me a golf lesson. What he has me doing feels awkward, but when I do it correctly the results are very good.

Nick was a great fitter, he was patient, kind, and did a thorough job to ensure I got the correct set-up for my game.

Our clubs being built by the same folks who build clubs for Callaway's professional staff:

Later in the afternoon, we had a roundtable discussion with Chip Brewer, Harry Arnett, and Alan Hocknell. It was fun as well as informative. We could have gone on and on, but we had to leave for dinner at the hotel. Callaway is very passionate about what they do, and their customers. Everyone involved showed that passion and dedication, and you could see it was genuine, as well as their genuine happiness to have us there. In a previous life I was a cash management consultant for an international bank, and our clients were multinational corporations. I have consulted with just about any kind of corporation you can think of: from a condom manufacturer to a major defense and aerospace contractor that built missile, among other things. And, in all the companies I visited not one had the corporate culture I found at Callaway. I know one of the reasons they are successful is because of that corporate culture. Everyone is seen as valuable, and everyone feels valuable. This translates into a dedicated staff, committed to what they do.

Torrey Pines South. What can I say? The most beautiful golf course I have ever seen. They were already preparing the course for the Farmers. I played from 6300 yards and the rest of the fellows played from 6700 yards (the starter told us what the course was playing).

I was surprised I could hit the Heaven and 9 woods out of the rough, which was quite penal. The wedges stood out as well. I was playing a yet to be released golf ball, and I could get the ball to hop and stop (and a couple of times spin back), which allowed me to be aggressive with my chips and pitches. The 58 performed terrific out of the bunkers. I hit a few good drives, and it felt very good. I only hit 4 iron shots all day because 6300 yards was a bit above my pay grade. The forward tees would have been too short. We had two caddies, which was great. I played with mackepa, and two gentlemen from Callaway, Nate and Dave. Mackepa could really play, as well as the Nate and Dave. Mackepa hit some great drives and iron shots into the green. I think he had three birdies.

I got to see everyone tee off, except the last group, and all the WRX’ers could really scoot the ball out there, especially QMany…who shot a 70. :-)

All in all it was a terrific experience and exceeded any and all of my expectations. Mackepa is a great guy and we had a number of conversations: the youngest and the oldest. :-) It was great to finally meet MtlJeff, as we have known each other for a long time, but never met. It was also great to meet Zak and HipCheck. I have also know Zak for quite a while, and wrote some articles for him early on. HipCheck is a very nice guy and GolfWRX is very luck to have both of them on their staff. It was also great to meet the rest of the crew. I think we had a great group of guys, and we represented golf all across the spectrum.

When I left San Diego, I was able to snap a shot of MCRD (Marine Corps Recruit Depot), where I went to boot camp.

I am sure I left some things out, if so, perhaps one of the other attendees will mention it. If you have any questions, please let me know and I will do my best to answer them.

Best regards,

Sean

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

My gamers:

Great write up