2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

#TheWRX: The EPIC Event at Callaway Golf. 8 Members are treated to TheWRX

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright boys, i'm going to keep redundant pictures to a minimum and only try to post new material.

This trip was without a doubt the best golf experience of my life. Our trip kicked off with my man Johnny Rodriguez greeting us upon arrival and giving us our room keys and strict orders to clean up and meet at the bar for beers. I went straight to the room and was greeted by a bed full of swag/goodies depending on which side of 30 you are on. After arrival beers and introductions we decided to take quick naps before our first night at ECPC.

Up to this point we've been treated pretty darn well and were really kind of expecting similar treatment throughout the week but dinner at the ECPC was beyond anything we could have ever expected.

I mean really? They had a professional cigar maker hand rolling us cigars and oh, about 4 different stations for us to get beers, cocktails and wine and I haven't even started on the food. Sliders upon sliders, Chinese food, crab cakes, mini tacos, bratwursts, mac and cheese, french fries and much much more. I kept myself at a two drink limit to keep myself fresh for the putter fitting but the food was amazing. After the dinner we toured the ECPC where no photos were allowed. The ECPC club building room is a WRX wet dream. Half the drawers were dedicated to the one and only Phil Mickelson with Prototype equipment laying around ready to be tested and built. They had a cabinet built into a wall that had to hold a bare minimum of 300 graphite shafts. I'm talking mountains of Graphite Design's, Mitsubishi Rayon's, Oban's, and anything else your heart desires. After the Tour we split into groups and went to our putter fittings, long driver contest and putting contests. I was fortunate enough to win the putting contest and won a Phil Mickelson signed headcover.

I'll skip the long driver portion because I wasn't going to top Matt and his long ball but my putter fitting was the real deal. Nate Adelman and Nick Arthur were handling the putter fittings and I did mine with Nick. Right off the bat I started voicing a concern I have with alignment and how my eye dominancy makes sightlines distort where my actual target is. Nick took a couple minutes and pulled out a black Odyssey RSX #2 putter from the wall an had me roll a couple putts with it. The putter felt great and I made quite a few putts and all my misses were burning the left edge. Nick informed me on how I get the head oscillating a bit on my transition making the handle a hair steep causing the pull. he gave me a great drill to work on and got right to the specs. we decided to lengthen the putter to 35.5" to take some arch out of my back and flatten the putter a hair to help with that left pull. We also took 1* off the putter to reduce skid once I correct my transition effectively shallowing my path. We also changed the grip to a pistol style grip to help with feel and milled a site dot on top. It took me until I was on the bus to realize that Nick just fit me into a tour issue putter and customized the heck out of it for me. After we finished our fittings we had a bit of a social hour before ending the night to rest up for our full bag fittings tomorrow.

Full Bag Fitting:

Irons:

After breakfast we loaded the bus and headed back to the ECPC for our full back fitting. I made a bee line straight to Nick since we had worked together the night before. Nick and I started right off the bat with the irons. I already play the Callaway Apex Pro 16 irons with Project X 6.5 which were a pretty good fit already. We got a good base line with them and really noticed that they could be pretty tough to beat. Nick wanted me to try Modus 120's, Tour V's and C-Taper's. The Modus and C-Taper's were just ok. C-Tapers had a decently large dispersion range but the Modus were fairly tight. Even though the Modus dispersion were pretty good the launch and spin varied more than normal between solid strikes so we kicked it out of the equation. The Tour V's on the other hand were very, very consistent. The launch and spin were money and dispersion were right there as well. my ugly swings weren't wild misses like i've seen before. They were just good.

FInal Specs: We went with 5-PW at +3/4", 1* flat and 1* strong to keep spin down.

We also added a tweener club in there that ended up being a bit of a frankenstein. I told Nick I didn't feel like I hit my 4 iron that much farther than my 5 so we hit some balls with a 21* Utility and it was just a hair too long for my gap so it got bent 1* weak and slid right into that gap I needed. The Utility was build to the same specs as the irons except the paying length was left standard to match the progression.

The 2017 Driver:

If i'm being 100% honest I wasn't at my full speed for the driver fitting so I'm super glad I had my gamer to compare ballspeeds and get fair ballspeed numbers. Again, we got a good baseline with my current driver which is a Callaway 816 DBD with a Fubuki K 70X. My max speed with my gamer was around 155MPH ballspeed with 16* launch and around 2,000 RPM's.

Nick was a little reluctant to put me into the new low spin model as my mishits might fall flat out of the sky so we started with the standard model. We hit two balls with a stock shaft then did the rest of the fittings with the Fubuki from my gamer and an AD TP 6s. unpopular opinion, I did not like the new standard model much. The head has a good shape but the alignment appears to be a hair towards the heel and it showed in my fitting. I had a hard time centering the driver. Most of my misses were high and to the right but they had like no spin on them. As much as I struggled with the Standard model it was still longer and faster than my gamer but dispersion was up. Top ballspeeds with the Standard model was 157MPH. Nick then grabbed the New Low Spin Model with the heavy weight rearward and right off the bat it had a better shape to my eye. I hit a lot of shots high on the face which with older drivers would have performed really really well but with this model it just didn't spin enough. I was launching an 8* driver at 18* and around 1600RPM with around 155MPH ballspeed which really isn't good. It wasn't spinning enough to be consistent. After an adjustment period I started teeing it lower and centering it better and launch came down a 16* and 1900 RPM and Ballspeeds jumped to 159MPH. My longest ball was over 10 yards longer than my gamer but dispersion was up very, very slightly. Nick liked the AD TP we tried early in the fitting and kept me in that shaft.

Bottom line is these new drivers are the real deal. The feel is fantastic and the technology is truly groundbreaking. The Regular model had a strange shape to me but still performed better than my current driver. The low spin driver looked fantastic. It had a remarkable shape to it and produced some great numbers for me once I centered it. Seriously, you're leaving yards on the table if you don't try it.

Final Specs: New Low Spin Driver at 8* w/ AD TP 6s tipped 1" at 44.75"

Fairways and Hybrids:

I've always been a bit of a 4 wood guy because I had confidence in keeping it airborne on poor strikes but Nick was adamant that I used no more than 13.5* of loft to keep my launch reasonable. I didn't want to go that low so we compromised and went with a 15* set to 14* in the low spin head. We put the same AD TP shaft in at 70S tipped 1" and I absolutely hammered it. I spun it enough to keep it on a green if I needed to but low enough that it didn't balloon. This was an easy fit.

The hybrid we went with an Apex 18* with an AD DI 85S. Again, there's not a ton to say about this club. I wanted a lower lofted hybrid to use into long par 4's and lay-ups on par 5's. The Apex is really such a good club for these gaps. I didn't like how hot the XR or Steelheads were because they started creeping into 3 wood length. I didn't want to go with a weaker XR or Steelhead to fill that gap and have launch go up so Apex made a ton of sense.

Final Specs: Apex Hybrid 18* w/ AD DI 85S standard length and 1* flat.

Wedges:

Wedges were easy like the hybrid. My current wedges were good fits already so we duplicated the specs into the New 2017 wedges. I will say the new 2017 wedges have a distinct shape to them that may not be for everybody. the leading edge is so dang straight which I love but some do not. Roger Cleveland himself even said he prefers a rounded leading edge but these new wedges round out the other options so well. The spin on them is nasty too. I hit some shots that remind me of pre-groove rule grooves. We went with a 50, 56 bent to 55 and 60 with Project X 6.5 +3/4" and 1* flat.

After the Fittings we went to Headquarters to eat lunch, tour the facility and participate in a round table. The tours were pretty hush, hush and no pictures were allowed. The round table was vey interesting. Chip Brewer was very gracious with his time and was very honest about anything we asked. I won another putting contest and received a Toulon Tour Issue headcover that will be launched on tour in the next couple weeks.

Dinner with the Callaway Guys was pretty dope too!

Torrey Pines:

Oh, the last day of the trip. Bitter sweet. We got off the bus and saw all our clubs in a row right by the putting green. I played with Sean2, Dave Bartels and Nate Adelman. Torrey Pines is no joke. The rough was so thick that reaching a green from it was impossible. actually, the only green I reached from the rough was the hardest hole on the course. I hit a hybrid from the right rough on 4 from about 220 to about 15 feet and I only did it because I hit it in the one area where the rough was laid flat. I shot a 78 and felt good about my round until I found out Matt shot a 70. Nate and Dave were great to play with. Dave is rocket scientist smart and Nate has the coolest odyssey RSX i've ever seen. Dave handles all the golfball engineering and asked me after every wedge shot if the new ball preformed like I expected it to.

Guys, I'll add more to this review tomorrow but right now i'm gonna turn in. I still have photos to find and thoughts to collect.

10.5* G430 Max Diamana BF 60

15* G430 Max Diamana Ahina 70

21* Apex UW Diamana Ilima 80
22* (bent 23*) X Forged UT KBS Proto

Apex   MB 5-PW $-Taper 

Vokey SM9 Raw 50F, 56F, 60T

Toulon La Grange SB w/ KBS CT Tour

Jones Players Series 003

@Qmany, I know you've been getting a lot of questions, I just had one. What was it like seeing the ocean for the first time?

WITB Link

I'm leaving on my honeymoon early Saturday morning, so I'm going to dedicate some time today and tomorrow to getting a comprehensive trip recap finished.

But if any of you have questions, please let us know. There was a lot of information to digest, and I'm sure it will be hard to remember and include everything in our recaps.

Have a great honeymoon Q!

You bringing your clubs? lol

Sean, I know I read that you were fit into irons that are +2" in length? As a tall guy with over length as well, I'm curious, what length driver were you fit into. I'm back and forth whether longer or shorten benefits me and think I strike better at 45.5" or longer. What did they do for you? Thanks

Amazing write-ups, being a Callaway guy I am really paying attention to the newer equipment reactions, thanks again, keep'em coming...

DRIVER: Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5*, Ventus TR Blue 6TX at 45"
3 WOOD: Callaway Paradym HL 16.5*, Diamana Flower Band White, D+ 82X Flex, tipped 1" at 42"
7 WOOD: Callaway Paradym 21*, Tensei AV white 75g S Flex, tipped 1" at 41"

IRONS: Callaway Apex MB 7-10, CB 4-6 -- DG TI S400

WEDGES: Callaway JAWS Raw 50, 54, 58 -- DG TI S400
PUTTER: SC Phantom 5, Stability Shaft, 33.25", Garsen Quad Tour grip (Toulon Chicago as back up)
BALL: Callaway CT X (current gamer), Srixon Diamond, -ProV1X and ProV1

Mackepa, you had me at the putter fitting. Great write up! Is Callaway more magical than Disney now?

Titleist TSr4 10.0*  Mitsubishi 1k Black 65 tx  
TaylorMade BRNR Mini 13.5* Kai'li white- tx
Srixon ZX5 (4-6) ZX7 (7-pw) KBS tour 130-x
Mizuno T20 51* TT x-100

Callaway Full Toe 54*, 60* TT x-100
Callaway PM Grind 64*
TaylorMade Soto Long Neck

Pro V1

Awesome Mackepa! So just out of curiosity, do you have a final verdict on the driver? Seems maybe you weren't completely blown away by it?

The standard model looked strange to me but numbers were better. The low spin model was awesome and looked much better. I was very surprised by the performance of both heads. I just have bad writing skills and forgot to put my final verdict in.

Apex   MB 5-PW $-Taper 

Jones Players Series 003

Mackepa, you had me at the putter fitting. Great write up! Is Callaway more magical than Disney now?

Haha officially they're both my two favorite places on the planet.

Apex   MB 5-PW $-Taper 

Jones Players Series 003

Has anybody that was fit into the new 2017 fairway played an M1 or M2 fairway previously? I had an original XR series fairway in the bag, but the M2 absolutely blew it out of the water. Even a local teaching pro I know that's a Callaway staffer has been hiding an M2 fairway under a Callaway cover. If you've hit both, do you think Callaway has caught back up to the M-series with the 2017 fairway?

Awesome Mackepa! So just out of curiosity, do you have a final verdict on the driver? Seems maybe you weren't completely blown away by it?

The standard model looked strange to me but numbers were better. The low spin model was awesome and looked much better. I was very surprised by the performance of both heads. I just have bad writing skills and forgot to put my final verdict in.

Im surprised you saw that much difference in the crown of both models. They look almost identical to me.

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

Great reviews! Keep them coming!

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

Great job on the write up, everyone so far. Q, 70 is a hell of a round at a course you've never played with clubs you've never touched. Hopefully '17 has some good things in store for you! I'm honestly kinda pissed at you though knowing you only picked up golf 6 years ago. You were that kid growing up who was just naturally good at everything, weren't you? WEREN'T YOU?

great read. So you have only been playing 6 years? That's very impressive to get to the level of player you appear to be. Did you play when you were young and pick it back 6 years ago or start from scratch? Did you come from a different sport that made it easier to get good quicker.

I think it is just a little more than six years now, judging by when I joined this site. While I was in law school (2009-12), one of my good friends was an undergraduate on the golf team. He missed the team bus for an out-of-town event and his coached "punished" him by requiring him to play 36 holes while they were gone. He called me up, said he had a 30-pack of beer, and invited me to play. I have been hooked ever since! I joined here to research what irons I should buy after that. My parents might take me to the driving range or putt-putt when I was a kid, but I didn't play in high school or even have my own set of clubs.

I played soccer/basketball in HS and then basketball in college. I was never the most athletic, so I got by on work ethic. I was a "gym rat." And that has translated well into golf; I've been a range rat ever since I started. I love practicing. During the summer, I'll practice or play 9-holes 6 days per week. If it is over freezing and not too windy, I'll hit balls during the Kansas winters.

As I got a little better, I started getting the itch to play competitively. I practiced hard, took a leap of faith, signed up for the 2013 Missouri Amateur, and made it through qualifying! I've played in the 2014, 2015, and 2016 Kansas Amateur, and other state amateur events, since then.

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

@Qmany, I know you've been getting a lot of questions, I just had one. What was it like seeing the ocean for the first time?

What ocean?

Taylormade TP5

What ocean?

Well played my friend!

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

After we decided on the right shaft I was getting 4-8 yards more carry and the same gain in total distance. This doesn't sound like much as there were others who had much more impressive gains. But as Gerritt said, my gamer was already a really good fit for me, and to get an extra 4-8 yards of carry was impressive.

Which shaft did you end up with?

Great job on the write up, everyone so far. Q, 70 is a hell of a round at a course you've never played with clubs you've never touched. Hopefully '17 has some good things in store for you! I'm honestly kinda pissed at you though knowing you only picked up golf 6 years ago. You were that kid growing up who was just naturally good at everything, weren't you? WEREN'T YOU?

great read. So you have only been playing 6 years? That's very impressive to get to the level of player you appear to be. Did you play when you were young and pick it back 6 years ago or start from scratch? Did you come from a different sport that made it easier to get good quicker.

I think it is just a little more than six years now, judging by when I joined this site. While I was in law school (2009-12), one of my good friends was an undergraduate on the golf team. He missed the team bus for an out-of-town event and his coached "punished" him by requiring him to play 36 holes while they were gone. He called me up, said he had a 30-pack of beer, and invited me to play. I have been hooked ever since! I joined here to research what irons I should buy after that. My parents might take me to the driving range or putt-putt when I was a kid, but I didn't play in high school or even have my own set of clubs.

I played soccer/basketball in HS and then basketball in college. I was never the most athletic, so I got by on work ethic. I was a "gym rat." And that has translated well into golf; I've been a range rat ever since I started. I love practicing. During the summer, I'll practice or play 9-holes 6 days per week. If it is over freezing and not too windy, I'll hit balls during the Kansas winters.

As I got a little better, I started getting the itch to play competitively. I practiced hard, took a leap of faith, signed up for the 2013 Missouri Amateur, and made it through qualifying! I've played in the 2014, 2015, and 2016 Kansas Amateur, and other state amateur events, since then.

Now this story I can relate to. I played baseball in college and didn't really pick up golf until the end of my senior year. I'm in Louisiana so winters aren't so harsh; I'm always practicing now.

This thread has been fantastic. Thanks to all of you for sharing. mackepa, I'm also a Disney nut... We own vacation club points at a couple of the resorts. Played The Palm for the first time last month. I won't be taking a Disney trip without my clubs again.

I'm taking a couple of big things out of Q's write up...

First, Callaway was licking their chops knowing they were fitting a good player with speed using a Ping G30 with a stock shaft. Regardless if it was fit at Ping - the fitting process wouldn't touch the extensive/details they would put him through.

Second, Callaway fit him right. They didn't chase yards - they fit to the miss. One of the easiest way to tighten up dispersion pattern is going shorter, heavier and stiffer (for a strong player). Callaway attacked all three. Pairing this with a head that provided the appropriate spin (in his case a head that would spin). The Tensei is a top notch shaft/line - the CK PRO BLUE might as well have been made for Q.

Third, JAILBREAK is legitimate. When you go shorter, heavier and stiffer you lose swing speed, and for your quality player ball speed (because they are already hitting it on the screws - higher handicappers can benefit and see ball speeds increase on average if shortening aids in center face contact). Callaway's new technology appears to have made up the loss and increased his ball speed. If they gave him the same driver .75" longer like his Ping with the 60g CK PRO BLUE - imagine the gains...wow!

Finally, gear/equipment aside - the level of fitting provided should not be overlooked. When you have a great fitter with incredible equipment and product knowledge (great example is the hybrid fitting - an older model would eliminate left more than the current model - I loved this...).

I will for certain be giving the CALLAWAY 2017 "LOW SPIN" DRIVER a go...I play my drivers at 44.5" - .75", D4-6 with 75-80g TX tipped 1". I'm looking for control not distance (already have speed) - yet don't hit "forgiving" heads well. If I can gain ball speed at my playing length, I will be just fine with green on the crown.

Appreciate the detailed write up Q!

3RLvb.gif

--kC

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

So let me get this straight.

Qmany, you've been playing for only 6 years and you went out on Torrey South first time and shot 70 with clubs you've never played with outside of the fitting? Damn.

The clubs are that good! :lol:

--kC

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

Qmany, you've been playing for only 6 years and you went out on Torrey South first time and shot 70 with clubs you've never played with outside of the fitting? Damn.

I had expertly fit clubs, a great caddie, adrenaline, and a lot of aiming fluid. It was the perfect recipe.

The scary thing is, it could have been really low! Birdie putts missed:

• 15 feet on 1
  • 15 feet on 2
  • 10 feet on 5
  • 3-putt par on 6
  • 15 feet on 7
  • 15 feet on 10
  • 25 feet on 11
  • 6 feet for Par on 12
  • 10 feet on 13
  • 25 feet on 14
  • 3-putt par on 18

:censored2:

Taylormade TP5

I had expertly fit clubs, a great caddie, adrenaline, and a lot of aiming fluid. It was the perfect recipe.

The scary thing is, it could have been really low! Birdie putts missed:

• 15 feet on 1
  • 15 feet on 2
  • 10 feet on 5
  • 3-putt par on 6
  • 15 feet on 7
  • 15 feet on 10
  • 25 feet on 11
  • 6 feet for Par on 12
  • 10 feet on 13
  • 25 feet on 14
  • 3-putt par on 18

:censored2:

Are we supposed to feel sorry for you? :glare:

Now this story I can relate to. I played baseball in college and didn't really pick up golf until the end of my senior year. I'm in Louisiana so winters aren't so harsh; I'm always practicing now.

This thread has been fantastic. Thanks to all of you for sharing. mackepa, I'm also a Disney nut... We own vacation club points at a couple of the resorts. Played The Palm for the first time last month. I won't be taking a Disney trip without my clubs again.

Lake Buena Vista is my favorite Disney course. My wife and I are annual pass holders

Apex   MB 5-PW $-Taper 

Jones Players Series 003

Hey guys. Thanks very much for your great reviews. For the first time in a while I'm legitimately excited to try some of their new stuff. Looks like we had some great representation at the event!

Mizuno STG 440/Kai'li Blue 70x

Mizuno MP 650 9.5*/ Cinnamon 75-X
Mizuno MP Metal Ti (JDM) 18*/ Blueboard ION 83x
Adams Red 20*/ AxivRed 104x

MP 55 4-PW/MP 53 3i/Recoil 125 Prototype
MP64 4-7/ MP4 8-PW (6-PW 1*weak)/ DG X7 GRIPMASTER Roo Grips

Mizuno T11 50, 56,60/Recoil 125 Prototype
Mizuno T5 50,56,60/ Black Chrome S400
Scotty Cameron Newport 2, 34" Custom Shop Blue Paint and Jackpot Johnny Cover
All riding on a blue Clicgear 3.5+