2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Tour AD-GP or Tour AD-TP??

GoPios25

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am going to be doing just that on Saturday. Unfortunately, it will not be on a launch monitor so I won't have any numbers for you but I will let you know how it goes.

What I have heard from a buddy out in CA is that the TP is the DI on steroids. Still launches about the same but with noticeably less spin.

Titleist TS3 9.5* - Tour AD-GP 7X

Callaway X2 Hot Pro 15* - UST VTS Black 8X

Adams Pro Mini 21* - SteelFiber 110X

Bridgestone Golf J40 CB (4-PW) - Nippon Super Peening Blue X

Vokey SM8 50F - Nippon Super Peening Blue X

Taylormade MG2 TW Grind 56 - Nippon Super Peening Blue X

Taylormade MG2 TW Grind 60 - Tour Issue X100

Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport Beach 1.5

I've hit the GP on the range (about 30-35 swings) and found it to be extremely boardy. The GP is an update to the BB (which I have in my driver) just as the TP is an update to the DI (which I have in my 3-wood and 5-wood), so I would expect different launch results. I like the ones I have but wasn't at all a fan of the GP.

WITB

TaylorMade M5 (10.5) Graphite Design Tour AD GP 6 S

Callaway Rogue ST MAX (15) Graphite Design Tour AD F-75 S

Ping G425 (19) Mitsubishi TENSEI CK Pro Orange Hybrid 80 S

Mizuno MP-53 (4-PW, 22-46) Nippon Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 S

Titleist Vokey SM9 (50.12 F, 54.10 S @ 55, 60.10 S) Nippon Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 S

Edel McKenzie (34)

I ordered an M2 driver and 3-wood with the AD GP in them. I wasn't at all pleased with the performance. Yes they were long, but no longer than my other shafts. For me, and my swing, the AD BB in driver and AD DI in 3-wood is the best setup.

The GP was the least-smooth feeling Graphite Design I've ever swung. I've demoed AD DI, AD BB, AD GP, AD DJ, AD MT - I would compare AD GP closer to an Ozik Red Tie than to a Graphite Design.

If you order a flex softer, it may feel better. But at 115 swing speed I hit the AD GP 6X and wasn't impressed.

I ordered an M2 driver and 3-wood with the AD GP in them. I wasn't at all pleased with the performance. Yes they were long, but no longer than my other shafts. For me, and my swing, the AD BB in driver and AD DI in 3-wood is the best setup.

The GP was the least-smooth feeling Graphite Design I've ever swung. I've demoed AD DI, AD BB, AD GP, AD DJ, AD MT - I would compare AD GP closer to an Ozik Red Tie than to a Graphite Design.

If you order a flex softer, it may feel better. But at 115 swing speed I hit the AD GP 6X and wasn't impressed.

So the BB feels much better than the GP for you? What was the difference in flight/spin for you?

Titleist TSR3 9* - Ventus TR Blue 6X

Taylormade Stealth 2 15* - Ventus TR Blue 8X

Callaway Apex UW 19* - Ventus TR Blue 8X

Titleist T200 4i - Axiom 105X

Titleist T100 5-PW KBS Tour 130X
Titleist Vokey SM9 Raw 50/56/60 - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Circle T Tour Rat Newport

So the BB feels much better than the GP for you? What was the difference in flight/spin for you?

Yes the BB in a 6X felt much better than the GP in a 6X.

The BB launches lower, and had similar spin #'s to the GP (2200-2500 w/ my M2).

I loved my BB 6X

For you guys that have hit all these GD shafts, how does the Matrix Black Tie compare to the BB, GP, and TP? I like the low launch/low spin boardy shafts, just curious as to which GD shaft plays similar to a Black Tie....

Titleist TSi4 9.75 HZRDUS Smoke 
Titleist 915F 15.5 HZRDUS Smoke
Titleist U500 3 iron
Titleist 718CB 4 thru PW
Titleist Vokey SM7 50-08, 54-08, 58-08

Scotty Cameron Phantom X6

For you guys that have hit all these GD shafts, how does the Matrix Black Tie compare to the BB, GP, and TP? I like the low launch/low spin boardy shafts, just curious as to which GD shaft plays similar to a Black Tie....

The BB feels much less boardy than the Black Tie - I'd rank the BB as the smoothest stout shaft I've ever hit. It'll launch a little higher than Black Tie, with similar (possibly a little higher) spin.

The GP feels a lot like the Black Tie - but it will launch higher (similar spin #'s). Never do any tipping on a GP - the stiffest part of the GP is the tip section - so by tipping it you're actually softening the shaft and making it perform poorly.

The TP feels a lot smoother than BB, GP, or Black Tie - and will launch slightly higher than the GP w/ less spin.

If you like low launch + low spin + boardy I don't know that Graphite Design is the place to look. You need to be putting Project X Hzrdus into consideration. Especially Hzrdus Black.

I agree with Bomber_11 except for the last point. To me, low launch/low spin/boardy describes the GP perfectly.

WITB

TaylorMade M5 (10.5) Graphite Design Tour AD GP 6 S

Callaway Rogue ST MAX (15) Graphite Design Tour AD F-75 S

Ping G425 (19) Mitsubishi TENSEI CK Pro Orange Hybrid 80 S

Mizuno MP-53 (4-PW, 22-46) Nippon Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 S

Titleist Vokey SM9 (50.12 F, 54.10 S @ 55, 60.10 S) Nippon Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 S

Edel McKenzie (34)

I agree with Bomber_11 except for the last point. To me, low launch/low spin/boardy describes the GP perfectly.

Disagree. To me, Low Spin, Mid Low launch, silky smooth feel is a perfect description. I hated the AD BB and think the GP feels 100x better.

GP is one of the best shafts on the market for my swing and taste.

The BB feels much less boardy than the Black Tie - I'd rank the BB as the smoothest stout shaft I've ever hit. It'll launch a little higher than Black Tie, with similar (possibly a little higher) spin.

The GP feels a lot like the Black Tie - but it will launch higher (similar spin #'s). Never do any tipping on a GP - the stiffest part of the GP is the tip section - so by tipping it you're actually softening the shaft and making it perform poorly.

The TP feels a lot smoother than BB, GP, or Black Tie - and will launch slightly higher than the GP w/ less spin.

If you like low launch + low spin + boardy I don't know that Graphite Design is the place to look. You need to be putting Project X Hzrdus into consideration. Especially Hzrdus Black.

The BB is a wet noodle and dispersion was all over the place and is no where near what I would label a "stout" shaft. It is not made for hitters or late release guys. Black tie is and GP is. GP has a softer butt and firmer tip and actually delivers low launch and low spin. BB is mid and is ok for guys with a big sweep and high positive AoA, like +3° or more. GP really is much lower launch IMO. IMO the new MFS Black Tie, the 60M4 or whatever it is, is closer to a GP. The old original 7M3 black tie is a stout beast. The new one is smoother. (These are similar to DG profiles or the Modus Tour120 iron shaft, softer butt, stiff middle and stiff tip.) These shafts feel smooth in the transition with a soft butt section while you start the downswing, but you get a stiffer boardy feel at impact with more vibration.

GD has made a lot of softer shafts since the Di was all the rage. They have made their fair share of scary monsters in the past for the bombers. Throttle, PM702/902, p9003, M9003, Z9003 (So stout they stopped making it as soon as they started.) YSQst, etc etc. They make strong shafts.

The TP is butt and mid firm and tip is softer with the rapid decrease in diameter. (This is similar to the KBS Tour V or the Modus Tour130 iron shaft.) What you get is a firmer shaft with a softer feel at impact. Overall the shaft is actually decently stiff, its the soft tip that makes it feel softer at impact. High launch from the softer tip yet overall stiffness helps the golfer deliver the club to achieve a lower spin condition.

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

I would be trying the Tensei Pro line from MRC. The Blue is mid launch and the White is low launch. Both feel amazing!

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Ping PLD Ally Blue 4

Titleist Pro V1x

Thinking of giving AD-TP a go in driver and AD-DI in fairway and maybe Tensei Blue Pro's as well. I have GP's, Fuji Pro Tour Specs, Speeder Evo2's...looking for happy medium/balance.

Titleist TSR3 9* - Ventus TR Blue 6X

Taylormade Stealth 2 15* - Ventus TR Blue 8X

Callaway Apex UW 19* - Ventus TR Blue 8X

Titleist T200 4i - Axiom 105X

Titleist T100 5-PW KBS Tour 130X
Titleist Vokey SM9 Raw 50/56/60 - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Circle T Tour Rat Newport

Can't speak on the TP unfortunately because I have never hit it. As far as the GP goes I absolutely love mine. I have the Dustin Johnson shaft as well (661 2.0 Tour Spec X) and tried it on the range 1 or 2 times and preferred the feel of the AD-GP much more. The 661 shaft felt boardier to me then the GP. I play the AD-DI in my 3 wood and am very happy with it's performance. If the TP is an upgraded version of the DI then I don't think you can go wrong with either the TP or the GP. GP's flight will be lower swing for swing but I have no problem launching the GP when needed. Good luck!

I've hit both the GP and TP. I've always thought the DI played soft and never liked it in a driver. I've tried the GP 6x plus and 7x in a driver. Stout, boardy, but I liked it. I've hit the TP in 6x, 7x in the driver. Much, much better feel than the GP, similar spin, not soft like the DI. I have the TP 8x in 917 3 and 5 woods. Unreal. Ballspeed, feel, performance are awesome. Trying the TP 7 TX next week...

I would be trying the Tensei Pro line from MRC. The Blue is mid launch and the White is low launch. Both feel amazing!

In my 917 5 wood, the TP 8x had more ball speed for me. Up against tensei pro blue 80tx..same tipping, same length. I was surprised by that...both awesome shafts, but the TP was better for me.

• 4 weeks later...

Are you guys tipping the TP to stiffen slightly, or is that a no-no like with the GP?

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

Are you guys tipping the TP to stiffen slightly, or is that a no-no like with the GP?

I was fit at the ECPC into The TP and my fitter tipped it an inch. So far I really like the feel of this shaft. I'm not 100% sure why I like it so much but to me it just feels stable. It feels like it kicks the same whether I go after one or if i bunt one to keep it in play.

10.5* G430 Max Diamana BF 60

15* G430 Max Diamana Ahina 70

21* Apex UW Diamana Ilima 80
22* (bent 23*) X Forged UT KBS Proto

Apex   MB 5-PW $-Taper 

Vokey SM9 Raw 50F, 56F, 60T

Toulon La Grange SB w/ KBS CT Tour

Jones Players Series 003

I was fit at the ECPC into The TP and my fitter tipped it an inch. So far I really like the feel of this shaft. I'm not 100% sure why I like it so much but to me it just feels stable. It feels like it kicks the same whether I go after one or if i bunt one to keep it in play.

What's your SS with the Driver? I'm looking at getting a TP, generally 104-108 and looking at the TP 7S, TP7S tipped, or TP 7X. Thanks.

Callaway Paradym Triple 💎 10.5* Ventus Blue 6X/TR 6S
Titleist TSR2 16.5* (Set to 15.75*) Tour AD DI 7S
Titleist TSR2 18* Hybrid Tour AD IZ 85S
Titleist u505 4i (21*) Tour AD DI 95S

Srixon Zx7 MK II 5-PW, 51* AW - Modus 105S
Callaway Jaws 56*-Jaws Full Toe 60*-  DG 115 TI S200

Toulon Garage Custom Las Vegas H7 35”

The BB is a wet noodle and dispersion was all over the place and is no where near what I would label a "stout" shaft. It is not made for hitters or late release guys. Black tie is and GP is. GP has a softer butt and firmer tip and actually delivers low launch and low spin. BB is mid and is ok for guys with a big sweep and high positive AoA, like +3° or more. GP really is much lower launch IMO. IMO the new MFS Black Tie, the 60M4 or whatever it is, is closer to a GP. The old original 7M3 black tie is a stout beast. The new one is smoother. (These are similar to DG profiles or the Modus Tour120 iron shaft, softer butt, stiff middle and stiff tip.) These shafts feel smooth in the transition with a soft butt section while you start the downswing, but you get a stiffer boardy feel at impact with more vibration.

GD has made a lot of softer shafts since the Di was all the rage. They have made their fair share of scary monsters in the past for the bombers. Throttle, PM702/902, p9003, M9003, Z9003 (So stout they stopped making it as soon as they started.) YSQst, etc etc. They make strong shafts.

The TP is butt and mid firm and tip is softer with the rapid decrease in diameter. (This is similar to the KBS Tour V or the Modus Tour130 iron shaft.) What you get is a firmer shaft with a softer feel at impact. Overall the shaft is actually decently stiff, its the soft tip that makes it feel softer at impact. High launch from the softer tip yet overall stiffness helps the golfer deliver the club to achieve a lower spin condition.

I thought the TP was firm butt and mid, but stiff tip?

G430 max 10.5, Accra TZ Five 60s
Callaway Epic Super Hybrid 16, AD-IZ 75S
Callaway Rogue X 20, Oban Devotion 85S
Cobra King utility 25, Accra TZ6 95di
Ping I210 5-U, black dot

Callaway Jaws 56, W grind

Vokey 60, M grind
Scotty Newport 1.5

What's your SS with the Driver? I'm looking at getting a TP, generally 104-108 and looking at the TP 7S, TP7S tipped, or TP 7X. Thanks.

I'm about 107mph. My fitter said I could handle the X but wanted me to do Stiff tipped 1" because I preferred to feel a shaft kick a bit.

10.5* G430 Max Diamana BF 60

15* G430 Max Diamana Ahina 70

21* Apex UW Diamana Ilima 80
22* (bent 23*) X Forged UT KBS Proto

Apex   MB 5-PW $-Taper 

Vokey SM9 Raw 50F, 56F, 60T

Toulon La Grange SB w/ KBS CT Tour

Jones Players Series 003

I thought the TP was firm butt and mid, but stiff tip?

Contents of bag subject to change...frequently 

I'm about 107mph. My fitter said I could handle the X but wanted me to do Stiff tipped 1" because I preferred to feel a shaft kick a bit.

Practically identical to my scenario. I'm 105-107 ss with a moderate transition/sweeping type load. I like to be able to feel the shaft load and kick, but also want stability through impact.

Funny thing is I've played shafts of all different profiles, from x flex boardy profiles in bore thru driver heads (when drivers and balls were more spinny), to pretty flexible lightweights (Myazaki). Somehow I seem to adapt my swing to make any of them work reasonably well as long as the head loft matches the shaft profile to produce a desirable trajectory.

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

Hit the AD GP 7X today and liked immediately. Increased launch and decreased spin (about 200-300 avg). Beat my Tour65X by about 6-7 yards on avg. Dispersion better too. Fitter told me the X or S mattered little as I needed the frequency around 6.4 as I'm perfect for KBS120TourS irons at 6.0. Going to frequency test the X and S in the 75g versions to find the perfect shaft to fit me and for me to pay no attention to the S or X rating as we dialed it in to this exact measurement. Great experience getting fitted for a driver shaft first time. The downside is the price. Also hit this against the EPIC subzero 9* with Fuji and another stiff shaft (don't remember the ones) and the AD GP Ping LS 9* combo beat it for me by about 15 yards and much straiter on an average. Ball speeds at 160 Launch 16 and carry was 275 avg (best 282 carry). Ping TourX65 was similar with carry around 268 and 158-159 ball speeds, EPIC zero was in the mid 260's and high 150's ball speed (but I've never been able to get along with a Callaway Driver as I just don't ever get along with them (could of been the shafts too I suppose). Picking up tomorrow and looking forward to working it in on the course later. I personally thought the 65X Tour shaft was much stouter and stiffer than the AD GP when just bobbling it around and swinging but the numbers don't lie and the feel of the AD GP was far superior in loading and releasing for me.. Good luck. SS was 105 low to 110 high avg around 108.

Also going to go from 45" finished length to 44 3/4. Changed port weight on G LS after I had added about 6g of HM and playing D7 to get down to around D5. Justin at Continental Golf did my fitting and was exceptional with his 16 years experience. If you're in the Raleigh NC area I highly recommend these guys. Spent over an hour with me and gave me a tour of the custom finishing department and everything they do. All the guys inside came out and met me, introduced themselves and made me feel at home. A very pleasant experience and I don't mind giving them my money as they are very customer service oriented. First Class++

PS. We also tried the older GD DI in 7X and it was a total failure for me as it just didn't fit my swing. Glad I did the fitting and didn't chase shafts by guessing like I did in the past. Justin commented that the DI was just totally wrong for me and the numbers obviously pointed it out and the feel for me was obvious as well.

Nice results 3woodvt!

I'm loving my GP 7x, it's really knocked some spin off my drives which I actually needed. Weird thing is it doesn't feel boardy at all to me, nice smooth load and some kick through the ball. Shaft feels "dense" at impact compared to the OG Whiteboard 73x, like it filters out the bad vibes LOL

if you really want a good shaft, skip both of these and get an M9003!

Someday, after I save a bunch of lunch money I'll grab one of these to try!