2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

#TheWRX: The EPIC Event at Callaway Golf. 8 Members are treated to TheWRX

Can you guys explain to me how the fitter can come to the conclusion a shaft isn't giving good dispersion for players who are amateurs and therefore don't have repeatable swings?

incredulous.gif

He's right. Why even get fit? Callaway should have just given us tennis rackets.

10.5* G430 Max Diamana BF 60

15* G430 Max Diamana Ahina 70

21* Apex UW Diamana Ilima 80
22* (bent 23*) X Forged UT KBS Proto

Apex   MB 5-PW $-Taper 

Vokey SM9 Raw 50F, 56F, 60T

Toulon La Grange SB w/ KBS CT Tour

Jones Players Series 003

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you guys explain to me how the fitter can come to the conclusion a shaft isn't giving good dispersion for players who are amateurs and therefore don't have repeatable swings?

incredulous.gif

He's right. Why even get fit? Callaway should have just given us tennis rackets.

Took longer than I thought it would, but "that guy" finally showed up.

OEM Certified Master Fitter

"Never forget that the luxury of being
wrong is not enough to make you right."
WITB Link

So all of y'all that went...

Obviously fitting is important but is the 2017 technology that good or was it the world class filters that made y'all all say..holy Sh*t with the new stuff?

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

Obviously fitting is important but is the 2017 technology that good or was it the world class filters that made y'all all say..holy Sh*t with the new stuff?

So for me even in a stock configuration the new drivers were longer than my well fit gamer. Once the world class fitters got involved it was game over.

Apex   MB 5-PW $-Taper 

Jones Players Series 003

A little bit of both, to be honest. It is hard to learn the MOI numbers, deflection charts, etc. then see the results during the fitting and on the course and not think it has a little to do with technology. Then the Tour-level fitting is also to blame. I think that further narrows down the dispersion and maximizes the technology, if that makes sense.

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

incredulous.gif

How is that not a valid question...

The guy who had the Tour V 120 x said after hitting a few balls the fitter said the shaft isn't giving good dispersion. I'm asking how can you attribute that to the shaft on the swing of an amateur.

Not sure why I'm getting laughed at

incredulous.gif

How is that not a valid question...

The guy who had the Tour V 120 x said after hitting a few balls the fitter said the shaft isn't giving good dispersion. I'm asking how can you attribute that to the shaft on the swing of an amateur.

Not sure why I'm getting laughed at

Sorry, it must have been your wording. While doing the fittings we intentionally threw the really bad swings out as that's not a fair representation of the technology. We did that with both our gamers and new fits. Even when I hit the shafts that didn't work out well the dispersion had a wider range than the Tour V 120X so we went with that. Pros mishit balls too so I'm sure these guys throw out poor strikes for them too.

If a fitter sees a trend of multiple poor strikes with one configuration then it's probably not worth trying too hard to find some good strikes.

Apex   MB 5-PW $-Taper 

Jones Players Series 003

I love the "New 2017 Callaway Driver" but since I can't show it, here's something for you...

Looks like a Milled Collection TX with a White Hot Pro insert

TaylorMade Stealth 7.25º | Fujikura Ventus Black 6X
TaylorMade SIM2 13.5º | Diamana Thump 75X
Cobra F6 Baffler 17.5º | Diamana Thump 85X
Titleist T100s | Dynamic Gold X7
TaylorMade MG3 50º, 55º, 60º Hi Toe  | Dynamic Gold X7
PXG One & Done | Armlock

Johnny Rodriguez@JohnnyRodCG Dec 15

Had a great week with the boys @GolfWRX #cameraissues

CzuK3t6UoAAYPFR.jpg

CzuK3t5UQAAUlmC.jpg

CzuK3t5UAAAEmam.jpg

CzuK3t7UQAESwAQ.jpg

Taylormade TP5

I love the "New 2017 Callaway Driver" but since I can't show it, here's something for you...

Yes sir.

Follow our Two Guys Talkin Golf (TG2) Podcast on Instagram + Twitter + iTunes + SoundCloud
 Click here to grab a new "circle" avatar

Yes sir.

Yes sir.

Rob owes me another trip for finding it in Austie's office. :pimp: :cheesy:

Apex   MB 5-PW $-Taper 

Jones Players Series 003

Why would you think they are not repeatable just because they are amateurs? That's not really the difference between pros and amateurs. If you look at the difference through monitor results, you'll find that neither really change all the much.

2024 Building In-progress

Qi10 Core Head 9* w/ AD-DI 6S  (I heart you AD DI and will never sway from you again)
Qi10 Tour 3W with shaft TBD
Callaway UW 17* with shaft TBD

Titleist TS2 19* Hybrid at 20* w/ PX Evenflow Blue 85 6.0

4-PW Srixon ZX7s w/ DG AMT White S300s
MG2 TW Grind 56/60 at 54/58
Spider Tour X3

A little bit of both, to be honest. It is hard to learn the MOI numbers, deflection charts, etc. then see the results during the fitting and on the course and not think it has a little to do with technology. Then the Tour-level fitting is also to blame. I think that further narrows down the dispersion and maximizes the technology, if that makes sense.

I think you guys got the highest level of fitting there is to get. It's not the same as going to Golf Galaxy and having some dude rotate through the 4 stock shafts and tell you which one looks the best for you. I told Q this several times, but I was equally jealous of the opportunity to get that fitting as I was the opportunity to get all the free stuff. I think a proper equipment fitting can work wonders, especially when you have all of the options available that you guys had at the ECPC. For example, if you fit into an X flex shaft, what's the most possible options you'll get at a regular store/range fitting - maybe get 2 shafts to choose between? Honestly, I stopped worrying about launch monitor fittings years ago. I just go by ball flight and feel, because I know whatever fitting I can get at a "normal" spot would be about as good as I can fit myself with my own two eyes. The next time I want a real fitting, I'm going to the TPI, or to Callaway, or to Cool Clubs or something like that. No point to the others in my opinion, provided that you're already reasonably well versed in ball flight, equipment performance, etc.

So all of y'all that went... Obviously fitting is important but is the 2017 technology that good or was it the world class filters that made y'all all say..holy Sh*t with the new stuff?
So for me even in a stock configuration the new drivers were longer than my well fit gamer. Once the world class fitters got involved it was game over.

That is what I was looking for and thought. Some people are doubters of the technology involved in the new EPIC heads. Yall were fitted by world class fitters, so that enhances everything but the bone stock driver was out performing yours...

So all of y'all that went... Obviously fitting is important but is the 2017 technology that good or was it the world class filters that made y'all all say..holy Sh*t with the new stuff?

Another example for some, the technology in this head has been years in the making and it just flat out produces. I know the world class fitting got your grouping even tighter, which why most people should get fitted.

Also, doesn’t hurt to have your swing ;)

Congrats again guys!

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

incredulous.gif

You can always count on MM to give those type posts.

rymail00 2018 WITB [i][b] [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1605910-rymail00-2018-witb-pic-heavy/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...witb-pic-heavy/[/url][/b][/i]

[size=3]TM M1 430 8.5* Tour Issue w/ Tensei CK Pro White 70s (with high gloss SLDR finish from Continental Golf)
Titleist 917 F3 15* D+ 80s
Titleist 915H 21* D+ 90s
Titleist 915H 24* D+ 90s
Titleist AP2 718, 5-50* Steelfiber i95s
Scratch TD DW 54* 58* KBS HiRev
Odyssey Metal X Milled 330M (current gamer) [/size]
[size=3]Ping Scottsdale TR B60[/size]
[size=3]TP Mills Heritage 349g [/size]
[size=3]Byron Morgan 006 355g [/size]
[size=3]Byron Morgan Makers Proof #4/5 solid copper [/size]
[size=3]C&L CL1 368g[/size]
Scotty Cameron Newport Studio Style

I think you guys got the highest level of fitting there is to get. It's not the same as going to Golf Galaxy and having some dude rotate through the 4 stock shafts and tell you which one looks the best for you. I told Q this several times, but I was equally jealous of the opportunity to get that fitting as I was the opportunity to get all the free stuff. I think a proper equipment fitting can work wonders, especially when you have all of the options available that you guys had at the ECPC. For example, if you fit into an X flex shaft, what's the most possible options you'll get at a regular store/range fitting - maybe get 2 shafts to choose between? Honestly, I stopped worrying about launch monitor fittings years ago. I just go by ball flight and feel, because I know whatever fitting I can get at a "normal" spot would be about as good as I can fit myself with my own two eyes. The next time I want a real fitting, I'm going to the TPI, or to Callaway, or to Cool Clubs or something like that. No point to the others in my opinion, provided that you're already reasonably well versed in ball flight, equipment performance, etc.

I couldn't agree more. I think the spec sheets you came home with (along with remembering what felt right to you during testing) may be the most valuable swag from the trip.

incredulous.gif

You can always count on MM to give those type posts.

Ok so since you guys had a Trackman, did your path, face, aoa, etc. #'s all stay the same to be able to deduce that it is indeed the shaft that in changing the outcome?

Ok so since you guys had a Trackman, did your path, face, aoa, etc. #'s all stay the same to be able to deduce that it is indeed the shaft that in changing the outcome?

No, my path, face, AOA, etc. did not stay the exact same on every swing. I'm not that good; I don't know anyone who is.

Taylormade TP5

I got my Trackman report back. I will try to get a screen shot and post ASAP. But at first glance:

PING G30 + 45.75" Alta 55 X fit at PING HQ:

• 110.6 CHS, 166.4 BS, 1.50 SF, 12.8 launch, 2055 spin, 270.2 carry

Callaway New 2017 Driver + varying 45" 70 X fit at ECPC:

• 111.8 CHS, 166.9 BS, 1.49 SF, 12.5 launch, 1833 spin, 272.3 carry
  • 112.8 CHS, 169.7 BS, 1.50 SF, 10.2 launch, 2157 spin, 269.0 carry
  • 112.5 CHS, 169.7 BS, 1.51 SF, 12.2 launch, 2478 spin, 275.7 carry
  • 112.1 CHS, 167.6 BS, 1.49 SF, 11.6 launch, 3082 spin, 272.9 carry

(EDIT: These are actual numbers taken with wind in and off the right. He also had normalized numbers listed on his screen. Flightscope Optimizer calculates the third New 2017 Driver at 291.9 carry.)

Taylormade TP5

MM, does any of that matter? If you have a representative sample set you can see differences between clubs/shafts. Shafts will likely change those variables, some for the good and some not. Your pro versus amateur swing point only changes the number of swings needing to be taken to get a sample set. Basic stats issue.

Member of TMAG #TeamJetspeed 2013

MM, does any of that matter? If you have a representative sample set you can see differences between clubs/shafts. Shafts will likely change those variables, some for the good and some not. Your pro versus amateur swing point only changes the number of swings needing to be taken to get a sample set. Basic stats issue.

Yes, Callaway themselves were adamant that the Pros will see gains with the new clubs but nothing like what some of us experienced because they're already optimum.

Apex   MB 5-PW $-Taper 

Jones Players Series 003

I'm not trying to be a dick I'm just genuinely curious. I've never had a top-level fitting before, and I worked in a local shop for a long time as a fitter, and with 99.9% of players its really more about just trying to get what feels comfortable and if possible result in more consistent strikes, but to notice a dispersion improvement as a result of the shaft and not random chance is hard

I got my Trackman report back. I will try to get a screen shot and post ASAP. But at first glance:

PING G30 + 45.75" Alta 55 X fit at PING HQ:

• 110.6 CHS, 166.4 BS, 1.50 SF, 12.8 launch, 2055 spin, 270.2 carry

Callaway New 2017 Driver + varying 45" 80 X fit at ECPC:

• 111.8 CHS, 166.9 BS, 1.49 SF, 12.5 launch, 1833 spin, 272.3 carry
  • 112.8 CHS, 169.7 BS, 1.50 SF, 10.2 launch, 2157 spin, 269.0 carry
  • 112.5 CHS, 169.7 BS, 1.51 SF, 12.2 launch, 2478 spin, 275.7 carry
  • 112.1 CHS, 167.6 BS, 1.49 SF, 11.6 launch, 3082 spin, 272.9 carry

(EDIT: These are actual numbers taken with wind in and off the right. He also had normalized numbers listed on his screen. Flightscope Optimizer calculates the third New 2017 Driver at 291.9 carry.)

The consistency in all of your numbers is very impressive! Explains why you shot 70 at Torrey and had the potential for an even lower round. Color me JEALOUS!

I think the thing I was most surprised about was the sound of the New 2017 Driver. It reminds me of the last Callaway club I had in the bag, the Razr Hawk Tour. It is muted but solid. I think you can hear it in the videos posted; it is an addicting sound off the face.

RHT was also the last Cally club in my bag. Oh my.... I think I'm going to be in love again!

917 D2 8.50* - Tensei CK Pro White 60
917 F2 13.5* - Rogue Max 70
816 H2 19.0* - D+ Plus 90
716 T-MB (3i, 4i) - Modus 120
716 CB (5-PW) - Modus 120
Hogan TK15 - 49, 55
Edel Deschutes

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1457364-pitchinwedges-witb/page__p__15152218#entry15152218"][color=#0000ff][b]Photo WITB[/b][/color][/url]

I'm not trying to be a dick I'm just genuinely curious. I've never had a top-level fitting before, and I worked in a local shop for a long time as a fitter, and with 99.9% of players its really more about just trying to get what feels comfortable and if possible result in more consistent strikes, but to notice a dispersion improvement as a result of the shaft and not random chance is hard

That's where you as a fitter need to have the ability to see that your customer is striking a ball poorly because of change in spec. Get the baseline first with their current club and pay attention to their numbers along with their swing. You need to be able to differentiate between bad swings and a poor fit causing bad swings. Nick couldn't take the C-Tapers out of my hands fast enough. He noticed that I wasn't loading the shaft and my tempo increased to try and force the load causing an increase in dispersion.

Apex   MB 5-PW $-Taper 

Jones Players Series 003