#TheWRX: The EPIC Event at Callaway Golf. 8 Members are treated to TheWRX

One thing that we haven't really discussed here, was that we spent an hour talking with Chip Brewer in essentially a group session where we got to pepper him with questions. For me, this was really one of the most fun parts of the trip. He really seemed to have fun answering them, and seemed to do it honestly.

I don't recall the full hour, but some of my takeaways:

-Chip has created an atmosphere there of people who love golf, from the top on down. Everyone there seems to love golf and talking about it

-The employees love Chip. There were 3-4 different guys we met with who, unprovoked, mentioned how great it's been since he got there

-Chip mentioned caring about innovation mostly even more than cost, he will put money into R&D, he will let the engineers take chances even if it costs them more money. The heads of product line seemed to love this about him, they felt like they had very little restrictions.

-He feels that tour presence is vital but they will not chase "count" totals. They want to have a staff of guys they like for various reasons, but they won't pay guys to win driver count totals, not their strategy

-He spoke highly of PXG and thought they were a very interesting company. I don't get the impression he saw them as a real competitor in their space but maybe i'm wrong

-I asked them about the changing retail market and if they thought about how to get clubs to consumers , and they basically said they were confident that they were pushing fitting well enough to be succesful in the pro shops too

-They seemed actually a bit cognizant of that if this goes really well, it may be difficult to top it on the next release, as they think this really is a breakthrough. It did get mentioned that they understand the next product line might end up being seen as a letdown

-I asked specifically about 2 year product cycles. They said one year put too much pressure on the engineers and didn't give enough time for feedback. I asked about doing 3 year cycles and if i recall the answer was that they also wanted to stay fresh

-He talked proudly of the Xhot woods release, as that was one of the first under him i think. Apparently they delayed the launch because they didn't think they had it right the first time. One of the signs that they cared about the product and only bringing things to market they believed in

Hmmmm, i'm trying to think of more. It was a really fun hour

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did anybody take any pics of the leading edges on the new wedges, or were you asked not to?

From Wesley Bryan's WITB @ Safeway:

a8724f961916fb85cd94119426b12782.jpg

Thanks Q.

I think Roger (you know, since we're on a first name basis), said there is still a round edge.

Twitter: @itsnotgriffin
Site: [url="http://www.thebottomgroove.com/"]www.thebottomgroove.com[/url]

WITB:
Callaway Big Bertha Epic 10.5
Callaway BBA 5 Wood
Callaway XR 7 Wood - Frankenstyle
Apex Hybrid 23deg
Apex Pro 5i-PW
MD3 52, 56 W-Grind
MD3 60 PM Grind
Odyssey O-Works - #1/3T (putter commitment issues)

The Mack Daddy Forged i think has a straight leading edge like you can see in the pic. Did you end up going with those Scott?

I have the 52 and 56

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Why can't you guys say the name of the driver when we have multiple threads with the name already

Its called a non-disclosure agreement.....

A completely useless one at this point...

The same thing could be said about your posts today..

You can go lot further back then today (I kid, I kid,).

rymail00 2018 WITB [i][b] [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1605910-rymail00-2018-witb-pic-heavy/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...witb-pic-heavy/[/url][/b][/i]

[size=3]TM M1 430 8.5* Tour Issue w/ Tensei CK Pro White 70s (with high gloss SLDR finish from Continental Golf)
Titleist 917 F3 15* D+ 80s
Titleist 915H 21* D+ 90s
Titleist 915H 24* D+ 90s
Titleist AP2 718, 5-50* Steelfiber i95s
Scratch TD DW 54* 58* KBS HiRev
Odyssey Metal X Milled 330M (current gamer) [/size]
[size=3]Ping Scottsdale TR B60[/size]
[size=3]TP Mills Heritage 349g [/size]
[size=3]Byron Morgan 006 355g [/size]
[size=3]Byron Morgan Makers Proof #4/5 solid copper [/size]
[size=3]C&L CL1 368g[/size]
Scotty Cameron Newport Studio Style

During the fittings, did any of you try or end up with the BB Fusion driver or fairways? Also was there any discussion about them and how the BB Fusion compares to the 2017 models.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5 driver w/ Project X Riptide 50 5.0
Callaway Epic Flash 3, 5, & 7 woods w/ Fujikura Pro 2.0 R2-6

Callaway Apex 21 DCB 4 iron w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0 
Callaway Apex 21 5 - AW w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0
Callaway Mack Daddy CB 56 w/ Project X Catalyst 60 5.5
Toulon Design Palm Beach Stroke Lab
Callaway Chrome Soft

During the fittings, did any of you try or end up with the BB Fusion driver or fairways? Also was there any discussion about them and how the BB Fusion compares to the 2017 models.

BB fusion is a different animal. It's designed to be lighter and slightly higher spin for the guys that need a bit more help getting the ball airborne.

10.5* G430 Max Diamana BF 60

15* G430 Max Diamana Ahina 70

21* Apex UW Diamana Ilima 80
22* (bent 23*) X Forged UT KBS Proto

Apex   MB 5-PW $-Taper 

Vokey SM9 Raw 50F, 56F, 60T

Toulon La Grange SB w/ KBS CT Tour

Jones Players Series 003

The Mack Daddy Forged i think has a straight leading edge like you can see in the pic. Did you end up going with those Scott?

I have the 52 and 56

No. I ended up with the MD3 in 52 and 56

WITB:
Callaway BBA 5 Wood
Apex Hybrid 23deg
Apex Pro 5i-PW
MD3 52, 56 W-Grind
MD3 60 PM Grind

I got my Trackman report back. I will try to get a screen shot and post ASAP. But at first glance:

PING G30 + 45.75" Alta 55 X fit at PING HQ:

• 110.6 CHS, 166.4 BS, 1.50 SF, 12.8 launch, 2055 spin, 270.2 carry

Callaway New 2017 Driver + varying 45" 80 X fit at ECPC:

• 111.8 CHS, 166.9 BS, 1.49 SF, 12.5 launch, 1833 spin, 272.3 carry
  • 112.8 CHS, 169.7 BS, 1.50 SF, 10.2 launch, 2157 spin, 269.0 carry
  • 112.5 CHS, 169.7 BS, 1.51 SF, 12.2 launch, 2478 spin, 275.7 carry
  • 112.1 CHS, 167.6 BS, 1.49 SF, 11.6 launch, 3082 spin, 272.9 carry

(EDIT: These are actual numbers taken with wind in and off the right. He also had normalized numbers listed on his screen. Flightscope Optimizer calculates the third New 2017 Driver at 291.9 carry.)

The consistency in all of your numbers is very impressive! Explains why you shot 70 at Torrey and had the potential for an even lower round. Color me JEALOUS!

+1

I might of missed but did you guys post what setups you were fit into yet, or is that something that'll be posted when you receive your clubs?

I think they brought their clubs home with them, I guess that's why they got the travel bags.

Ok thanks. I must of missed that post.

Jeff you must be itching to hit these new sticks. I'm guessing your hitting up some indoor simulators?

Lastly is the SZ only in 9* only again in this release?

rymail00 2018 WITB [i][b] [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1605910-rymail00-2018-witb-pic-heavy/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...witb-pic-heavy/[/url][/b][/i]

[size=3]TM M1 430 8.5* Tour Issue w/ Tensei CK Pro White 70s (with high gloss SLDR finish from Continental Golf)
Titleist 915H 21* D+ 90s
Titleist 915H 24* D+ 90s

Tried it during my FW fitting process.

I think it is even more draw based then the 2017 Non lowspin version of the FW

That's what led me to start going the alpha direction.

WITB:
Callaway BBA 5 Wood
Apex Hybrid 23deg
Apex Pro 5i-PW
MD3 52, 56 W-Grind
MD3 60 PM Grind

Thanks for the answer haha. And I'm sorry for the typos everywhere (including your name) My phone has been offf lately especially on this site.

crazy how much height you launch it at and with the speed you have. I need to go back and look what your AOA was haha.

Were there any shaft combos there that you hit that would help bring the flight down at all? Or would that have brought your spin numbers also way down and again be counter productive?

Forever Changing at this point.......

Waterborne, great review. What was you 6 iron swing speed? Heard steelfibers play stuff and it looks like your driver swing speed was around 95. How would you compare the regular and stiff steelfiber?

It hovers around 80-85 or so.

I liked the regulars, but they really felt soft. I'm what Gerritt called a handle dragger so I have a late release. I would like to find out if the stiffness between the reg and stiff is similar to the jump from still to x stiff.

I was nervous about going into the stiff and even thought about soft stepping but my fitter brought up that soft stepping something at this weight would make the shaft even lighter by having to cut more off the butt end.

Awesome thanks. I'm around 77-80. Guess I will go with the regulars. Appreciate it.

Ping G410 lst diamana bf
Ping g410lst 3 wood accra tz6
Epic flash 5 wood tensei blue
ping g410 tensei hybrid
Epon 705 5-gw Oban ct115
Callaway MD5 54/58
taylormade my spider 
ping hoofer
tp5x

Waterborne, great review. What was you 6 iron swing speed? Heard steelfibers play stuff and it looks like your driver swing speed was around 95. How would you compare the regular and stiff steelfiber?

It hovers around 80-85 or so.

I liked the regulars, but they really felt soft. I'm what Gerritt called a handle dragger so I have a late release. I would like to find out if the stiffness between the reg and stiff is similar to the jump from still to x stiff.

I was nervous about going into the stiff and even thought about soft stepping but my fitter brought up that soft stepping something at this weight would make the shaft even lighter by having to cut more off the butt end.

Awesome thanks. I'm around 77-80. Guess I will go with the regulars. Appreciate it.

Try them. If you have a hard transition, you might need something stiffer.

WITB:
Callaway BBA 5 Wood
Apex Hybrid 23deg
Apex Pro 5i-PW
MD3 52, 56 W-Grind
MD3 60 PM Grind

Amazing experience!!! Every single thing scheduled was first class and unexpected. Callaway staff count have been better and more accommodating. Thanks to the staff at Callway: Johnny, Scott, Tyler, Jason, Tyler, Sean, Nick, AJ, Chad, Harry, Chip and anyone I might have missed. It was a whirlwind of meeting people from the minute the event started.

Hope you guys like to read:

Little about my game:

I am sitting at a 7.7 index after starting the season as a 10. something. I made a solid effort to practice whenever possible. My office ha phenomenal practice facility about 3. Minutes from it and I am able to use that a few times a week during the season. It gets me out of the office for a bit which is a plus. Before children (BC) I was able to play multiple times a week and was hovering around a 5. After Children (AC), time reduced greatly but my wife gets that it's my thing and its what I do.

My strengths tend to bounce around on a weekly basis. Some weeks I drive the Ball well but my putting is rough. Other weeks. I can’t drive, but the wedge game seems to be on. Consistency is an issue, and it's probably what's keeping me from getting a few more points off my index.

I’ve kind of been a one trick pony for equipment. Since HS I’ve used the same brand of irons, same brand of drivers, same wedges. I’ve had a few stints with other manufactures, some. longer than others. One set of irons was way longer than it should have been only from the thought that I needed to try something different and get it to stick. That was a set of irons that I tried everything to get into my bag and stay there. Different shafts, different lengths I became obsessed with getting those irons to fit. This past summer I finally cut the cord on those. Since then I have gone back to a 10-year old of irons that always seem to feel right. That's where I stand today. I like to tinker with gear, but once I find something that works, I tend to stick with it.

Day Zero

Definitely dodged a bullet getting out of Chicago. Local weather has been calling for 8 - 12 inches of snow starting Saturday afternoon. Original flight was scheduled for Sunday AM. As flight day approached, it didn't look hopeful for a Sunday AM departure. We have been working with Callaway staff on getting our travel plans set up and Carol was more than helpful getting both mine and MtlJeff’s flight changed so we wouldn't miss the start of the trip. Am I disappointed that I had to fly out to San Diego a day early? I’ll let you all answer that. There has to be a few things that Jeff and I can do to kill time in San Diego, right??

Day One

Jeff, myself, Rob and Johnny from Callaway all go settled into the hotel at some point Saturday afternoon. We grabbed a little breakfast at the hotel before the started. The location of the hotel was across the street from the Pacific Ocean so after eating Rob and I were able to get a little fresh air and a walk along the beach. Awesome weather allowed us to kill an hour or so just taking in the scenery. After that I headed back to the room before meet up time and others started to arrive.

Between 12:30pm and 1:00 people started to show up. One by one we were finally able to put a face to each screen name.

The majority of us ended up hanging out until 4pm before scattering and getting ready for the events to kickoff.

Opening Ceremony:

5pm at the Ely Callaway Performance Center (ECPC)

Callaway staff gathered to greet us and start off the week right. (ADD who from Callaway). A bunch of finger foods, a Chinese food take out stand, sliders and cocktails. The end goal for the kickoff event was a chance to meet staff, the guys that planned the event, guys that will be fitting us, taking us on tours, showing us around and answering questions that come to mind. This was the night we were able to get fit for putters. All putters were available from the odyssey line to try but there was a strong attraction to the new 2017 putter line.

I was working with Nick who knew more about putter fitting then anyone could. He asked a few questions about what I use now and strengths and weakness in my putting. He then just wanted me to hit a few putts on their indoor putting green. The indoor putting green rolled at about 17 on the stimp meter, which was actually on purpose. The thought behind that was to emphasize what is happening immediately before and after impact and not what is going on at in the middle of the stroke.

I had thought I wanted to go the route of a mallet or 7-series head but what Nick had noticed was that the longer the putter was from front to back on the putter, the worse off I was. My alignment using that style putter was actually worse than if I used a blade style putter like a 1 Model or 2 model. My alignment started to worsen even when a 1W style putter and 2ball.

Nick and I decided on a 1 style cut down to 33 inches and bent a few degrees flat from the new 2017 putter line. I don’t get along well with the superstroke putter grip so I went with the leather stitch back grip.

After the fitting, staff had set up the indoor simulator for a long drive and straightest drive contest. Before or after the fitting, everyone got a chance to play in a small putting contest on the practice green. Winners received a few cool gifts that I will leave for them to talk about.

After that, it was back bus and back to the hotel to hang out by one of the fire pits and have a few drinks. People started to dwindle down as the night went on. Some even took naps next to the fire. Those that stayed up came up with the great idea of going to In-n-Out for a late night snack.

A delicious burger and some crappy fries later, we were ready to call it a night. The next morning, we were in for one of the greatest experiences of our lives.

Day Two:

Up and at it early was the story for day two. Fight some massive heart burn, eat breakfast at the hotel at 7am, load up the shuttle at 7:50 am and off to the ECPC for the morning.

When we got there, 5 trackmans were set up and all the golf head, shaft combos you could think of were in front of you. We were broken up into 2 groups of 5 guys. While the first group of 5 guys were outside getting fit, the other 5 were going from station talking to engineers, getting education on wedges, understanding the design of the new 2017 driver, fairway woods and putters.

Our first stop was to talk and get educated on the face cup technology and understand how irons are designed, developed and tested. Then again refined, developed and retested

The talk we got more on the technical side, which was awesome since they weren't afraid to talk about material composition, why parts are included on the inside of the club. The pieces we don't see unless you take a saw to it.

After iron technical talk was done, we were brought outside for some “Wedgeucation” with Roger Cleveland and the new wedges. If you haven’t had a chance to see them, I believe there are a few pictures floating around on the forum. They look unreal.

I was fortunate enough to get a mini wedge lesson and some technique guidance from Roger Cleveland, which was amazing. I know it looks like in the picture I posted before that it looks like Roger is trying to take the wedge out of my hands and convince me to take up a different sport, but I promise he is showing me how to get more control on shots in. The 20-40 Yd. range. It was a complete eye opening experience.

I'm in the salmon pants, Roger is trying to convince me that Tennis might be a better sport for me.

After Wedgeucation, it was time for a little putter talk. The 2017 putter that Odyssey is releasing is a really nice looking putter. A lot of the more common head shapes will be available from what I can remember. The insert being used provides such a soft feeling when impact is made, it’s very reminiscent of what it felt like when you would putt a balata ball. I missed a lot of the technical talk on the putters since I was still over at my wedge lesson.

After putter talk, it was time for some discussion on the new 2017 Drivers. The technology behind everything that went into the design of the head makes so much sense when you have a few guys from R&D break it down for you. Not only did Callaway develop a driver head that reduces energy loss during the collision they were also able to improve forgiveness and increase MOI of the head.

When you sit down and listen to the science behind what they did, you get a good understanding of how ball speed and forgiveness were improved.

BREAK TIME!!!

15min break to get some snacks, talk to the guys that went through the fitting and watch Bram teach Roger Cleveland how to use the Shot Tracer App. I was able to see Jeff and Matt to see how their fitting went and what they saw. I was hopeful that I was going to get a piece of what they were able to see during the fitting process.

It was time to strap on the shoes and head down to the range for some TLC from my fitter. My fitter was Gerritt Pon. This guy was UNREAL when it came to throwing out a few ideas for what I could try and what I should stay away from. We started with what we entered the battle dome for: DRIVER.

First up was the driver that was currently in the bag before the trip started.

915D2 12.5 head, Aldilla Rouge Silver, 110MSI playing at 45 inches.

I hit about 5 - 8 of these and looked at numbers. Gerritt decided that we had enough to go off of.

After we got our baseline established, it was time to mess around with the new 2017 Driver. Gerritt recommended the Non-Low spin version of the head and I agreed with him. I’ve never been a high spinner of the ball so loft is necessary.

I’ve always been a big fan of Graphite Design shafts. I’ve always liked the feel and weighting of them. I mentioned that to Gerritt and he went and grabbed a few that he thought would work for me. First we started with a 60-gram TP in a stiff flex. Hit a few with those but Gerritt could tell that with that with my swing, his main goal was to try to slow down the low pull hook, which is my normal miss. I hit about 10 of those, before he wanted to put the TP-7 in a stiff flex in the driver. After a few of those and some small modifications to the settings we finally got some numbers we were looking for.

I was able to hit a few with the old driver to compare a couple, but none were able to keep up with the numbers I was getting with the new driver. This was a true validation to me since I was able to bookend the new driver with my original driver to make sure that swing speed wasn't just getting faster by getting more loose over time.

Over all I ended up gaining an average gain of 7mph ball speed, 11 yards of carry, and 12 yards total.

I was a little skeptical of the increase in ball speeds that I was going to see since I don’t have a swing speed of 100mph and ball speed hovers around 140 - 145 mph. One more thing I wanted to add is the sound is amazing. I think there are a few videos in the thread where you can hear it. The acoustics are top notch.

Top set of numbers is the new 2017 Driver

Bottom set is my 915 D2

After we reached an agreement on the driver, we moved on to some irons. We wanted to try to fill the middle part of the bag with an iron set make up before moving onto woods since I have kind of an odd fairway wood makeup.

Current Irons are Titleist 695mb with Nippon 120 stiff shafts. I really like this combination since I can get the ball up with them, they fly a distance I am used to and the ball spins enough for me to hold greens. The one thing I was looking to improve on was a little bit of forgiveness. Gerritt had me hit a few to get a baseline, which I wasn’t able to get a picture of the results. Bummer.

In summary, I hit the 6 iron about 170 with about 4500-5000rpm spin and mid launch. I wanted to try two sets of irons to see how they would compare with what I had in the bag, the Apex Pro and also the Apex mb. Both irons have an appearance to me that I like looking at from address. We started hitting the Apex Pro with a project x shaft. I’ve never really liked how they felt and the weight of them. Garrett had recommended I try a lighter weight shaft to improve my launch and spin numbers. I was open to anything at this point but have always been interested in the steelfiber shafts. I know they run a little stiff to flex so he grabbed a variety of flex and weight. We started with the i95 in a regular flex and was able to get decent numbers. The drawback with this shaft was it felt kind of whippy and loose in the tip. We then moved on to the i95 in the stiff flex and WHAMMY! Magical results. Launch was what we were looking for, spin crept closer to 6000rpm and the flight and initial launch looked like what he was hoping for.

I mentioned that I had wanted to try the mb also, so he obliged and got a set for me to hit. Those didn’t work out for me as well as my existing 695mb or come anyway near the performance I was getting with the apex pro.

Apex Pro 5i – pw with the i95 shaft was declared the winner. No tipping, no soft stepping, just straight in with some MC+4 grips.

On to the top part of the bag - Fairways and Hybrids

We started trying to figure out how I wanted to configure the top of my bag. I currently use a 4hy, 7-wood and 3-wood. I tried out both the utility iron and a hybrid. After a few shots with the utility iron, we couldn’t get optimum numbers that would allow it to play closer to an actual 4-iron so we started messing around with the 4-hybrid. It took only a few swings to figure out that was what I needed in the bag. The 4-hybrid flies about 200-yards, launched high enough and spun enough to hit greens. Figuring out that we moved on to the wood make up.

I have a 3-wood in the bag but don’t hit it off the fairway since I struggle with getting the ball elevated. I’ve tried a few different shafts but none can get a flight characteristic that I liked seeing or would come close to holding a green.

To start we tried a 15deg just to see if what I was getting with my current set up was similar to what I was describing. It was. So we moved on to a 5 wood that was cranked up a little bit in the loft department. First was the new 2017 offering in the higher spin version. The launch and distance was what we were hoping for, but the draw bias on the head made Gerritt a little nervous. Unfortunately, the low spin versions of the 2017 fairway head weren’t available for fitting and hitting. No big deal, out came the 816 GBB Alpha and we were able to produce the numbers we were looking for in the 5-wood distance.

After the 5-wood was the fun part. As I mentioned before, I play a 7-wood. My friends think it’s because I really like head covers. First I hit the GBB hybrid but the problem I was having with that was its almost too long. Some shots would give me the numbers I wanted, others would be rockets and fly the distance of my 5-wood. Then I hit the 816 GBB Alpha for this gap and also got great results. I wanted something that was going to go in the 210 – 220 yd distance and this fit the bill.

This is when the really, really cool part came. Gerritt wanted to make me something. He had thrown out the idea of building me up an XR 7 wood head and bending it and adding some weight and to be honest, it sounded cool when he said he was going to do it, I just felt bad saying “yeah, why don’t you stay a little late and take a little time out of your day to build me, a basement dwelling, internet golf junky this club.” So we went with the GBB Alpha in the 22-degree loft.

Fast forward to dinner when we were sitting with some of the Callaway guys and just chatting. Tyler came up to me and was like, “Gerritt made you something special and he wants to know how you like it.” That was it. He didn’t tell me anything else. I show up at the course, bags all set up, everything looking sharp and the first thing I did was dug through my bag to find the Easter egg, and there it was. Exactly what Gerritt said he wanted to do and he just threw it in my bag. He took an XR FW head, cranked it open and added some loft, put in an MJ shaft, added some hot melt to the head, put some lead tape on the toe, and stuffed it in my bag. All I can say is missile launcher. The head feels so solid, sounds perfect and flies exactly where I need it to go. Bravo Gerritt.

I have an email into Gerritt to find out exactly what he did to the head. Stay tuned for that.

Just heard back: Normal 7 wood head, bent it 2 degrees flat, face angle a couple degrees open, 9 grams of glue in the toe, another 3 grams of lead tape. One of a kind.

Wedge Time!

I currently use a 52-56-60 wedge set up.

We were running low on time since I could be the slowest hitter of the ball but we wanted to get some wedges fit for me. I told Gerritt that I really liked the MD4, and he quickly shot that idea down. He said the best fit for me was going to be the MD3 W sole and a PM grind in the 60. At first I was hesitant because I really wanted to hit the latest and greatest but I listened and took a variety of wedges with the W grind and went to work. This was my first wedge fitting on real grass and man does that make a world of difference.

First up was the MD3 in the 56, felt good, good turf interaction and a nice ball flight. I didn’t feel nervous of digging the club or clipping it a little thin for my 20-yd, 40-yd, 60-yd and 80-yd shots. Then I tried out the MD4 in 56, similar bounce. No good for me. Some digging, some thinning, not so good distance control since it was either coming out screaming or high on the face.

I went with the W grind in the 52 and 56 deg.

Up next was the 60. I thought maybe this would be the MD4 club that will fit me. Nope. Went with a 60 in the PM grind. The wider soul and additional bounce really makes it easy to hit out of all the bunkers I found myself in at Torrey and the rough I played out of.

Side note: Balls!!

So we were given a few of the Chromesoft and also the Proto Ball that Callaway will be releasing.

I have never really messed around with the Callway ball until this trip. The ball is legit. I have been playing a B330S ball for the last few years and found that ball hard to beat. This Proto X ball will now be something that I look for. Felt great off the driver, spun well with the irons and still didn't feel like I was putting a sponge on the greens.

If you like checking out new balls, this will be one in the near future to give a try.

Stay tuned for my review of what happened after the fitting.

WOW.....got say this is one of the best reviews I've read on this site in all the years I've been a member. Not because the club's preformed, or all the goodies and free sh!t that came with it, ect. but just as an honest and totally in depth full review. It really gave full look into the trip and the all the fitting that went into (again regardless of results). It gave a great look into the day to day experience. Well done.

Thanks for taking the time to post it. Definitely looking forward to hear more in depth reviews, whether positive or negative.

Titleist 915H 21* D+ 90s
Titleist 915H 24* D+ 90s

Guys,

Thanks for the manner in which you have answered questions, written reviews, and conducted yourselves thus far.

Titleist TSR2 10* (d4 surefit) Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2s
Titleist 904f 17* YS7+s
Titleist 962b 3-pw s300
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 52* s400
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 58* s400
Ping Zing2 BeCu

Sean,

Very informative review - thanks for the thoughtful write-up!

What are the Diamana 40 and Diamana 50 shafts you have in your bag? I've played the original Diamana Blueboard, the S+ 60, and the new S+ Limited Edition 60. How does the Diamana 40 compare?

Thanks SDL!

I have always liked Diamana products and I really, really like the Diamana 40. I have played the 60. What I like about the 40 is that it is light and is a solid shaft, i.e., it's not whippy at all, yet helps get those fairway woods airborne. To me it is just a lighter version of the 60, but that is just my take on it.

Thanks for the comments from another Diamana fan! Looking at your photo of the Diamana 40, it looks like it has a lime green label to match the new driver. Does that mean it's a special "made for Callaway" shaft? Does it match the bend profile of the Red (high launch), Blue (mid), or White (low) - or does it have a unique bend profile all its own?

Thanks for any additional insights you can offer to help a fellow golfer in his 60's.

Averages_Redacted.jpg

Groupings_Redacted.jpg

I got my Trackman report back. I will try to get a screen shot and post ASAP. But at first glance:

(EDIT: These are actual numbers taken with wind in and off the right. He also had normalized numbers listed on his screen. Flightscope Optimizer calculates the third New 2017 Driver at 291.9 carry.)

My takeaway from the Trackman report is Ball Speed. With the New 2017 Driver, no matter what shaft we tried, it had faster ball speeds than my gamer PING G30. A few of those Ball Speed differences were substantial (+3.3 MPH).

The discussion my fitter had with me regarding CHS, Smash Factor, and Ball Speed was enlightening. With Trackman estimating the center of the face of a moving blob an instant before impact, a small variance can account for a substantial difference in the reading. A slightly different shaped head might read different than another driver traveling the exact same speed. With Trackman measuring the ball accurately with radar, it should be the more important/reliable value in theory. My fitter concentrated on Ball Speed and didn't usually have CHS displayed.

And again, the New 2017 Driver had higher Ball Speed in every combination. That is promising.

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

Waterboy, thanks for that review. This question is for everyone. Has Cally confirmed what the stock shaft offerings are for the 2017 woods? Are they real-deal or made-for? I thought I remembered reading PX hzrdus black was stock with the rouge as well, but I've read so much I can't keep it straight.

I hope someone else remembers....there will be 3-4 stock offerings offering various spin/flight....cannot remember what they are

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Waterboy...

Did you say MD4?!?!

Or were you talking about the MD forged coming out soon?

Sorry meant forged.

Yes. DEFINITELY NO MD4 as they do not exist. Just misspoke. Forged were great and I put them in the bag. I like that the leading edge stays low when you open 'er up.

Follow our Two Guys Talkin Golf (TG2) Podcast on Instagram + Twitter + iTunes + SoundCloud
 Click here to grab a new "circle" avatar

Sean,

What are the Diamana 40 and Diamana 50 shafts you have in your bag? I've played the original Diamana Blueboard, the S+ 60, and the new S+ Limited Edition 60. How does the Diamana 40 compare?

Thanks SDL!

I have always liked Diamana products and I really, really like the Diamana 40. I have played the 60. What I like about the 40 is that it is light and is a solid shaft, i.e., it's not whippy at all, yet helps get those fairway woods airborne. To me it is just a lighter version of the 60, but that is just my take on it.

Thanks for the comments from another Diamana fan! Looking at your photo of the Diamana 40, it looks like it has a lime green label to match the new driver. Does that mean it's a special "made for Callaway" shaft? Does it match the bend profile of the Red (high launch), Blue (mid), or White (low) - or does it have a unique bend profile all its own?

Thanks for any additional insights you can offer to help a fellow golfer in his 60's.

No, it's not a "made for" shaft. It is green, which I am guessing Diamana wanted to distinguish it from its other products.

I would say it has it's own bend profile, but it tends toward high, which is good for me with the 9 and Heaven woods, as they fly high and land soft.

Waterboy, thanks for that review. This question is for everyone. Has Cally confirmed what the stock shaft offerings are for the 2017 woods? Are they real-deal or made-for? I thought I remembered reading PX hzrdus black was stock with the rouge as well, but I've read so much I can't keep it straight.

I hope someone else remembers....there will be 3-4 stock offerings offering various spin/flight....cannot remember what they are

Lol Jeff. I'm not sure if any of the dudes from the trips can keep it straight. You were exposed to some major league stuff over 2.5 days! Information overload, I'm sure.

Beast launch conditions on the Epic

Interesting to see the CHS changes

.75" shorter, 25g heavier and swinging the Epic on avg 2mph faster than the G30

Looks like you got a Red Bull in between drivers lol

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1299464-bruinspatsirish-witb-march-2016-taylormade-adams-bettinardi-tee/page__p__13143444#entry13143444"]bruinsPATSirish WITB![/url]
Callaway EPIC 10.5* Tour Issue Speeder 757 X
Callaway EPIC 3 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
Callaway EPIC 5 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
TaylorMade RSi TP Irons w/ Project X 6.5
Callaway MackDaddy FORGED 52/56/60 DG TI S200
Bettinardi BB8 DASS TriSole

I put Recoils in my Legacys, and love them. Any Recoil experiences as part of the process, or Steelfibers only for iron graphite shafts!

In my write-up I talk about the Recoils a little, which is what was fitted for. I like them much better than the Steelfibers, and the Program's. I like the feel and ball flight. The Steelfiber's (to me anyway), feel kind of boardy. The Recoils felt much smoother. Since I play at +2 inches, the fitter put me in the 460 F4 (stiff flex). This is a very light shaft, but given that the swing weight was already in the E range, these were the best for me. The Program's are a good shaft, but I hit the ball too high with them.

Nice summation Scott! :-)

Jeff, I talked a little bit about the roundtable discussion in my write-up, and Callaway's commitment to the customer.

Just to note, I think the Alta is labeled 55 X but is 63 g.

But yeah, still considerably heavier and shorter but higher Ball Speed.

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

Sean,

Thanks SDL!

No, it's not a "made for" shaft. It is green, which I am guessing Diamana wanted to distinguish it from its other products.

I would say it has it's own bend profile, but it tends toward high, which is good for me with the 9 and Heaven woods, as they fly high and land soft.

I find this funny, as "made for" shafts are much different than years ago when Titleist Speeders used to say "Made for" on the shaft. Now the shaft companies and club companies are so in bed with each other, that they create made for shafts to coincide with new product/club releases. The only difference is, now to avoid the question both OEM's and Shaft manufacturers got constantly about a shaft being the "real deal" or not, the shaft manufacturer just makes the "made for" shaft available in the aftermarket as well, with a $300 price tag because that's just the standard now apparently.

I could make a long list of such shafts from the last several years, many of them from Callaway releases, but they are not the only OEM to do this. One example is, has a single Diamana Plus Series ever been sold to a sucker in the aftermarket at full pop? Probably very minimal, but it's available in their catalogue to dodge the made for OEM question.

[u][b]2020 Bag[/b][/u]
Titleist TS3 9.5 [i]Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S[/i]
Titleist TS3 15 [i]/Aldila Rogue Silver 70S[/i]
Titleist TS2 19 [i]/Project X Evenflow White 90 6.0[/i]
Titleist T100 4-PW[i]/True Temper AMT Tour White S300[/i]
Titleist Vokey SM7 50F, 54M, 60M 
Evnroll 1.2 34"

Did anyone go into the trip already playing Cally clubs?

I haven't caught up on the thread today, but I did wrap a ton of packages and put a new mailbox in today.

I already have the XR irons and Odyssey putter. I did not see any distance gain with the irons. The XRs are hot. I ended up going with the Steelheads only because of forgiveness. I hit the Apex and really thought i was going to go with them, but my dispersion with the Steelhead was better. It is just an upgraded version of what I had. I probably tried close to 15 putters during the fitting and ended up with a blade like I use now. No more excuses about he putter.

Did anyone go into the trip already playing Cally clubs?

No more excuses about he putter.

I'll hold you to this and remind you ;)

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway