#TheWRX: The EPIC Event at Callaway Golf. 8 Members are treated to TheWRX

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sean's comments about the Diamana in his new driver got me searching online for more info about the stock shaft choices for the new Cally drivers. The only thing I found were listings for the drivers (no images yet) on an Australian golf store site called GolfBox. They had separate listings to purchase the new drivers with each of the following shafts:

Rogue Max 60 or 70

Hzrdus 50

Fujikura Pro 60

Diamana M+ 40

I have no idea if these are the official offerings for the U.S., but this may be a hint of possibilities planned for the shaft options. If others have more definite info to share, that would be great.

One thing that we haven't really discussed here, was that we spent an hour talking with Chip Brewer in essentially a group session where we got to pepper him with questions. For me, this was really one of the most fun parts of the trip. He really seemed to have fun answering them, and seemed to do it honestly.

I don't recall the full hour, but some of my takeaways:

-Chip has created an atmosphere there of people who love golf, from the top on down. Everyone there seems to love golf and talking about it

-The employees love Chip. There were 3-4 different guys we met with who, unprovoked, mentioned how great it's been since he got there

-Chip mentioned caring about innovation mostly even more than cost, he will put money into R&D, he will let the engineers take chances even if it costs them more money. The heads of product line seemed to love this about him, they felt like they had very little restrictions.

-He feels that tour presence is vital but they will not chase "count" totals. They want to have a staff of guys they like for various reasons, but they won't pay guys to win driver count totals, not their strategy

-He spoke highly of PXG and thought they were a very interesting company. I don't get the impression he saw them as a real competitor in their space but maybe i'm wrong

-I asked them about the changing retail market and if they thought about how to get clubs to consumers , and they basically said they were confident that they were pushing fitting well enough to be succesful in the pro shops too

-They seemed actually a bit cognizant of that if this goes really well, it may be difficult to top it on the next release, as they think this really is a breakthrough. It did get mentioned that they understand the next product line might end up being seen as a letdown

-I asked specifically about 2 year product cycles. They said one year put too much pressure on the engineers and didn't give enough time for feedback. I asked about doing 3 year cycles and if i recall the answer was that they also wanted to stay fresh

-He talked proudly of the Xhot woods release, as that was one of the first under him i think. Apparently they delayed the launch because they didn't think they had it right the first time. One of the signs that they cared about the product and only bringing things to market they believed in

Hmmmm, i'm trying to think of more. It was a really fun hour

Excellent write up on the meeting Jeff. I didn't mention that in mine. Their passion for their product was off he charts. As much as they talked about their product, and how good it is (and it is!), they did not trash talk any other company. When asked about other product lines, they would say that X was a great product or company and this is how we are going to produce a better product. Very refreshing. I heard and saw the same thing while playing on Tuesday and at the reception. Complete and total positive feeling from everyone.

Did anyone go into the trip already playing Cally clubs?

No more excuses about he putter.

I'll hold you to this and remind you ;)

Dammit! I was hoping you wouldn't see this

If that HZRDUS T800 is 50 grams, that's disappointing.

[u][b]2020 Bag[/b][/u]
Titleist TS3 9.5 [i]Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S[/i]
Titleist TS3 15 [i]/Aldila Rogue Silver 70S[/i]
Titleist TS2 19 [i]/Project X Evenflow White 90 6.0[/i]
Titleist T100 4-PW[i]/True Temper AMT Tour White S300[/i]
Titleist Vokey SM7 50F, 54M, 60M 
Evnroll 1.2 34"

Sean,

Very informative review - thanks for the thoughtful write-up!

What are the Diamana 40 and Diamana 50 shafts you have in your bag? I've played the original Diamana Blueboard, the S+ 60, and the new S+ Limited Edition 60. How does the Diamana 40 compare?

Thanks SDL!

I have always liked Diamana products and I really, really like the Diamana 40. I have played the 60. What I like about the 40 is that it is light and is a solid shaft, i.e., it's not whippy at all, yet helps get those fairway woods airborne. To me it is just a lighter version of the 60, but that is just my take on it.

Thanks for the comments from another Diamana fan! Looking at your photo of the Diamana 40, it looks like it has a lime green label to match the new driver. Does that mean it's a special "made for Callaway" shaft? Does it match the bend profile of the Red (high launch), Blue (mid), or White (low) - or does it have a unique bend profile all its own?

Thanks for any additional insights you can offer to help a fellow golfer in his 60's.

No, it's not a "made for" shaft. It is green, which I am guessing Diamana wanted to distinguish it from its other products.

I would say it has it's own bend profile, but it tends toward high, which is good for me with the 9 and Heaven woods, as they fly high and land soft.

I just found the Diamana M+ 40 on the MRC website. It has the same green label as in your photo. Mitsubishi lists it as very light weight, pretty high torque, high launch, and mid to high spin.

Gotta say, this thread has been a lot of fun to partake in. This is the definition of vicarious living.

Hello to Amanda Balionis as well!

On another note, I think we need to get a WRX trip lined up. Might not get the free clubs, but this is proof it'd be a good idea here!

I'm in!

I've never had a bad time when guys from WRX get together for any event. We all have a common sickness ground to talk about, so it makes it really, really easy. I've played a handful of rounds with random guys on this board, and it's always been a blast. Whether it be one other guy and me playing as a twosome (I'm lookin at you DavePelz), or Kadin putting together an annual Midwest event, they're so much fun.

Agreed!!

Featured Writer For GolfWRX.com
                Editor Product Reviews
                Product Tester/Review Panel
                Winner TMag Naples Trip 2012
                See ya on the green...Kadin

I have both 815 and 816 DBD drivers and the new 2017 drivers are much better. MOI is much higher, even on the low spin version. To me they also look, feel, and sound better.

Better performance and more forgiveness are an easy sell.

Thanks Hot Rod, that is exactly what I wanted to hear. I have the 815 and the GBB and I'm a huge fan of the look, feel and sound of the 815. If the new drivers are better, they will definitely be on my "must try list".

Waterboy, I'm intrigued by your top end setup. So you go

Driver

5 wood

7 wood

4 hybrid ?

If you don't mind, what are your lofts, carry yardages, and the next club up in your bag after the hybrid? I'm looking to finalize my top end and this setup is intriguing to me. Not one that I would have considered.

Member of TMAG #TeamJetspeed 2013

I got my Trackman report back. I will try to get a screen shot and post ASAP. But at first glance:

PING G30 + 45.75" Alta 55 X fit at PING HQ:

• 110.6 CHS, 166.4 BS, 1.50 SF, 12.8 launch, 2055 spin, 270.2 carry

Callaway New 2017 Driver + varying 45" 80 X fit at ECPC:

• 111.8 CHS, 166.9 BS, 1.49 SF, 12.5 launch, 1833 spin, 272.3 carry
  • 112.8 CHS, 169.7 BS, 1.50 SF, 10.2 launch, 2157 spin, 269.0 carry
  • 112.5 CHS, 169.7 BS, 1.51 SF, 12.2 launch, 2478 spin, 275.7 carry
  • 112.1 CHS, 167.6 BS, 1.49 SF, 11.6 launch, 3082 spin, 272.9 carry

(EDIT: These are actual numbers taken with wind in and off the right. He also had normalized numbers listed on his screen. Flightscope Optimizer calculates the third New 2017 Driver at 291.9 carry.)

My takeaway from the Trackman report is Ball Speed. With the New 2017 Driver, no matter what shaft we tried, it had faster ball speeds than my gamer PING G30. A few of those Ball Speed differences were substantial (+3.3 MPH).

The discussion my fitter had with me regarding CHS, Smash Factor, and Ball Speed was enlightening. With Trackman estimating the center of the face of a moving blob an instant before impact, a small variance can account for a substantial difference in the reading. A slightly different shaped head might read different than another driver traveling the exact same speed. With Trackman measuring the ball accurately with radar, it should be the more important/reliable value in theory. My fitter concentrated on Ball Speed and didn't usually have CHS displayed.

And again, the New 2017 Driver had higher Ball Speed in every combination. That is promising.

Yes, Trackman can have difficulty determining the center of mass for accurate club head speed; ball speed tends to be very accurate. However in your case I think the club speed numbers are accurate for the most part. The Smash Factor value confirms the club speed & ball speed ratio. Usually when Trackman is having trouble the Smash Factor numbers will be abnormally high/low yet ball speed remains relatively constant. The other variable can be where the ball is hit on the face, which probably isn't an issue with you. I doubt your contact location varies more than 1/8" inch, if that much.

Based on the numbers above, my take is that the majority of your ball speed gains were due to you swinging the "2017 drivers" faster. Any "feel" for why that may have been the case? Maybe the Boeing drag reduction elements have some merit?

I think the new Callaway drivers will be very good performers and I will most likely give them a try when one of my local practice facilities has their annual Spring demo day event. However for me, a marginal increase in distance or improvement in dispersion would not justify a $500 outlay.......even the 2017 "M" drivers won't be better than my current M2. Now, if Callaway (or any other OEM) starts to claim that their driver, fw, hybrid, irons, wedges, etc. will drop my stroke average 2-4 shots per round, I'm all in!! But we know that won't happen......LOL

TaylorMade M2 10.5 / Matrix White Tie 50X4 R
Callaway Apex 3/20 Hybrid / USTM Recoil 760 ES F3
Callaway Apex 4/23 Hybrid / USTM Recoil 760 ES F3

Maltby KE Tour TC 5/25 Hybrid / Rapport CoreBlue Hybrid R flex
Maltby Forged DBM 4-GW / USTM Recoil 660 F3
Maltby TSW DRM 58 / UST Rv2 Gold 115 R
Maltby TSW DRM 54 / UST Rv2 Gold 115 R
Maltby PTM-5 with 3" Carbon Steel hosel & UST Frequency Filter shaft
Nike RZN Tour Black or TaylorMade Tour Response

Again guys, great write ups. I really enjoyed reading everyone's take on the trip. They are all so close in summary that it proves you were all treated equally as royalty and that Callaway and WRX didn't miss a beat in their planning of the trip. Very cool to hear about the types of questions asked during the round table discussion with Chip. I also really enjoyed reading about the fitting process with the club builders who sound world class at what they do. I would LOVE to be able to get that type of fitting done because I highly doubt I'm in the optimal set up for my swing, game. I think we all agree that you guys are jerks for getting this opportunity but have done a fantastic job of recapping the whole thing for all of us to drool over. Great job!

Based on the numbers above, my take is that the majority of your ball speed gains were due to you swinging the "2017 drivers" faster. Any "feel" for why that may have been the case? Maybe the Boeing drag reduction elements have some merit?

I don't know why that may the have been the case. Driver was the last club we fit, so I was definitely warmed up. I remember hitting the PING really well and thinking those swings would offer a great baseline. My last swing with the PING and first swing with the New 2017 Driver were two most best and most consistent swings I could have made. We stopped when I felt that and saw +2 MPH difference in Ball Speed. I considered the Boeing relationship, but I couldn't say exactly why.

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

Waterboy, I'm intrigued by your top end setup. So you go

Driver

5 wood

7 wood

4 hybrid ?

If you don't mind, what are your lofts, carry yardages, and the next club up in your bag after the hybrid? I'm looking to finalize my top end and this setup is intriguing to me. Not one that I would have considered.

Correct. It's an odd set up.

Driver is at 11.5 deg and was carrying about 235-240 yds. This is my primary tee club.

Next is the bag is a 16 deg marked head but cranked to 18deg. This primarily is a from the FW club for long approaches on par 5s. This will carry about 220.

After that is my 7wood that plays a little short in length and is set at 22 deg. This plays more like my 3iron replacement and carries in the 200-210 yds.

After that is a 4 hybrid playing at a 4 iron length and that carries in the 190-200 range.

After that it's 5i which I can hit about 180yds. The irons after that are just about 10 yd increments.

I did something like this before my fitting because I was just looking to fill yardage gaps and never cared what the number on the club said. My only issue before thewrx trip was I had a 3 wood which was never hit off the FW.

Twitter: @itsnotgriffin
Site: [url="http://www.thebottomgroove.com/"]www.thebottomgroove.com[/url]

WITB:
Callaway Big Bertha Epic 10.5
Callaway BBA 5 Wood
Callaway XR 7 Wood - Frankenstyle
Apex Hybrid 23deg
Apex Pro 5i-PW
MD3 52, 56 W-Grind
MD3 60 PM Grind
Odyssey O-Works - #1/3T (putter commitment issues)

I've read this whole thread, but don't recall if anyone was playing with a properly fit M2 driver before this trip. That's the match-up that I really wanted to hear about. Short of that, I suppose I can wait for Pure745's tete-a-tete with the Epic vs 2017 M2.

Brizam had his M2 head-to-head, but I don't recall if he was fit for it prior.

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

I've read this whole thread, but don't recall if anyone was playing with a properly fit M2 driver before this trip. That's the match-up that I really wanted to hear about. Short of that, I suppose I can wait for Pure745's tete-a-tete with the Epic vs 2017 M2.

I think Brizam had an M2 he brought. I think his review will touch on that.

Twitter: @itsnotgriffin
Site: [url="http://www.thebottomgroove.com/"]www.thebottomgroove.com[/url]

WITB:
Callaway Big Bertha Epic 10.5
Callaway BBA 5 Wood
Callaway XR 7 Wood - Frankenstyle
Apex Hybrid 23deg
Apex Pro 5i-PW
MD3 52, 56 W-Grind
MD3 60 PM Grind
Odyssey O-Works - #1/3T (putter commitment issues)

Okay, great. Looking forward to hearing those results.

As a side point, can you guys elaborate on the selection process for the trip? Of course, we are all jealous and would like to be able to go on the next one! Bag full of cash? Post Likes to Post Ratio? Bottle of Johnny Blue?

I had 1 Callaway club in the bag when picked (a X2Hot 3 deep)

It was only one round so far...but do you see enough difference thru the bag that the bag is set going forward with reasonable certainty? I know you don't change alot, unless there is repeated gains and consistency?? Just sayin....

Callaway Mavrik SZ 9.0 VA Composites Nemesys 65 04
Callaway Mavrik SZ 15 VA Composites Nemesys 75 04
Callaway Mavrik Pro Hybrid 18* Veylix Rome 888 S
Callaway 2019 Apex Pro DOT 4-PW Mits MMT 125 TX/ Vega Mizar Tour Oban CT 115 X
Odyssey WHP #3-Stability Tour, Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5, Toulon Long Island Garage-Stability Shaft
Callaway MD5 Jaws Tour Grey 50/54/58 and  Cobra Tour Versatile 50/54/58 Mitsubishi MMT 125TX Graphite
Lamkin Sonar Plus Wrap

WITB Link

Okay, great. Looking forward to hearing those results.

As a side point, can you guys elaborate on the selection process for the trip? Of course, we are all jealous and would like to be able to go on the next one! Bag full of cash? Post Likes to Post Ratio? Bottle of Johnny Blue?

There's no magic formula to selection. We look at those who apply and we try to keep a good mix of longtime members and those who haven't been around as long. Contribution and post quality does matter.

We do read every single entry. Every one. There was over one thousand for #TheWRX.

Now about that Johnny Blue idea....hmmm...

Follow our Two Guys Talkin Golf (TG2) Podcast on Instagram + Twitter + iTunes + SoundCloud
 Click here to grab a new "circle" avatar

I put Recoils in my Legacys, and love them. Any Recoil experiences as part of the process, or Steelfibers only for iron graphite shafts!

In my write-up I talk about the Recoils a little, which is what was fitted for. I like them much better than the Steelfibers, and the Program's. I like the feel and ball flight. The Steelfiber's (to me anyway), feel kind of boardy. The Recoils felt much smoother. Since I play at +2 inches, the fitter put me in the 460 F4 (stiff flex). This is a very light shaft, but given that the swing weight was already in the E range, these were the best for me. The Program's are a good shaft, but I hit the ball too high with them.

Nice summation Scott! :-)

Jeff, I talked a little bit about the roundtable discussion in my write-up, and Callaway's commitment to the customer.

Thanks and I will reread that!

I didn't get fit, bought my irons off eBay and a fitter not far away put a Recoil proto 110 stiff in (trade in pulls I could have gotten a great deal on). Tried it at home and seemed to take some effort but hit the ball dead straight), ended up just having him order regular 95s in F4 and those have felt great and are laser like with a good pass, but man these heads spin. Definitely concur on how smooth they are and glad I experimented with graphite.

Looks like Callaway wedges may be the next focus and waiting to see what summer sneak previews show for the Apex.

Good to see some numbers in the thread. Look forward to getting some more myself and also hit the 3w

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

Just out of curiosity, say a person was visiting relatives in Palm Springs and hypothetically wanted to take a little day trip to Carlsbad, then maybe up the coast to Irvine, was any info about what Callaway charges for their process? Once I'm (oops, some person is) there it's way, way closer than anything comparable around here in their upper level network.

Brizam had his M2 head-to-head, but I don't recall if he was fit for it prior.

Aren't you getting married today?

"I take thee . . . phone's buzzing I told Callaway I'd answer questions for better or worse ."

Hope the ring fits over your glove. ?

Just out of curiosity, say a person was visiting relatives in Palm Springs and hypothetically wanted to take a little day trip to Carlsbad, then maybe up the coast to Irvine, was any info about what Callaway charges for their process? Once I'm (oops, some person is) there it's way, way closer than anything comparable around here in their upper level network.

I believe they said earlier that it is special invite and tour pro only. I don't they you can pay to get in.