WITB:
Callaway Big Bertha Epic 10.5
Callaway BBA 5 Wood
Callaway XR 7 Wood - Frankenstyle
Apex Hybrid 23deg
Apex Pro 5i-PW
MD3 52, 56 W-Grind
MD3 60 PM Grind
Odyssey O-Works - #1/3T (putter commitment issues)

Waterboy, I'm intrigued by your top end setup. So you go

Driver

5 wood

7 wood

4 hybrid ?

If you don't mind, what are your lofts, carry yardages, and the next club up in your bag after the hybrid? I'm looking to finalize my top end and this setup is intriguing to me. Not one that I would have considered.

Correct. It's an odd set up.

Driver is at 11.5 deg and was carrying about 235-240 yds. This is my primary tee club.

Next is the bag is a 16 deg marked head but cranked to 18deg. This primarily is a from the FW club for long approaches on par 5s. This will carry about 220.

After that is my 7wood that plays a little short in length and is set at 22 deg. This plays more like my 3iron replacement and carries in the 200-210 yds.

After that is a 4 hybrid playing at a 4 iron length and that carries in the 190-200 range.

After that it's 5i which I can hit about 180yds. The irons after that are just about 10 yd increments.

I did something like this before my fitting because I was just looking to fill yardage gaps and never cared what the number on the club said. My only issue before thewrx trip was I had a 3 wood which was never hit off the FW.

Great information. It's about meeting the players individual needs and not just 15* wd, 5 wd, 4hyb.

Ping G410 lst diamana bf
Ping g410lst 3 wood accra tz6
Epic flash 5 wood tensei blue
ping g410 tensei hybrid
Epon 705 5-gw Oban ct115
Callaway MD5 54/58
taylormade my spider 
ping hoofer
tp5x

This was a great trip, and it seems that most of the hype is around the driver, but IMO the Roger Cleveland bit is priceless. Wedges are so personal that I'd value that experiential insight a bit more than the other grand events.

The time with Roger was invaluable. I'm already considering buying a backup MD3 C Grind to my specs. If Roger and a Tour-level fitter tell me it's right, I should listen and stock up!

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

Anything you can share in regard to the "tips" he provided that might benefit those of us that remain stuck here on planet earth? Just kind of interested to hear what one of the wedge legends of all time might have had to say about what you were doing and how to make it better - short of taking up tennis of course!

Thanks!

Sorry!! This was supposed to be a direct response to Waterboys' great review and specifically to his comments about working with Roger Cleveland. Didn't want to further clutter up the thread by quoting his entire post but now my question appears to be floating alone out in the middle of forum island!

Ping G430 Max with Ping Distanza or MP5 Ladies flex or Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue 45 in Senior

Ping G430 Five Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Seven Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Nine Wood Ping Distanza

Ping i230 5-PW Red Dot + 1"  Recoil Dart 105

Ping i230 Utility Wedge +1" Recoil Dart 105

Ping Glide 4.0 56 Degree ES Red Dot ZZ 115

Scotty Cameron Squareback 2.5 341/2"

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 35"

Anything you can share in regard to the "tips" he provided that might benefit those of us that remain stuck here on planet earth? Just kind of interested to hear what one of the wedge legends of all time might have had to say about what you were doing and how to make it better - short of taking up tennis of course!

Thanks!

Sorry!! This was supposed to be a direct response to Waterboys' great review and specifically to his comments about working with Roger Cleveland. Didn't want to further clutter up the thread by quoting his entire post but now my question appears to be floating alone out in the middle of forum island!

His big thing with me was for shots in the 20-40yd range. He wanted to see less arms out of me and more rotation of the upper body. Mostly for consistency and shot control. He did say that he likes my approach and set up for the 60-100 yd shots since you can use a more full shot swing to those.

Twitter: @itsnotgriffin
Site: [url="http://www.thebottomgroove.com/"]www.thebottomgroove.com[/url]

WITB:
Callaway BBA 5 Wood
Apex Hybrid 23deg
Apex Pro 5i-PW
MD3 52, 56 W-Grind
MD3 60 PM Grind

Thanks!

His big thing with me was for shots in the 20-40yd range. He wanted to see less arms out of me and more rotation of the upper body. Mostly for consistency and shot control. He did say that he likes my approach and set up for the 60-100 yd shots since you can use a more full shot swing to those.

Great! Anything about takeaway or club face position? I only ask because he seems to be directing your backswing to the halfway back position as if he's making a specific point in that regard. For some reason, that's what the photo led me to believe. Maybe I'm overreaching here or taking the photo too literally. Regardless, thanks for all of the great insight and congratulations on such a great expereince!

Ping G430 Max with Ping Distanza or MP5 Ladies flex or Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue 45 in Senior

Ping G430 Five Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Seven Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Nine Wood Ping Distanza

Ping i230 5-PW Red Dot + 1"  Recoil Dart 105

Ping i230 Utility Wedge +1" Recoil Dart 105

Ping Glide 4.0 56 Degree ES Red Dot ZZ 115

Scotty Cameron Squareback 2.5 341/2"

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 35"

Since y'all got back, how many times have y'all gone out to the garage and just stared at your new clubs?? I'd be out there all day! Lol

Thanks for the reviews. I've been really enjoying "living" this experience with y'all.

Garage?? These are in the spare bedroom tucked away to keep warm!!

Callaway Mavrik SZ 9.0 VA Composites Nemesys 65 04
Callaway Mavrik SZ 15 VA Composites Nemesys 75 04
Callaway Mavrik Pro Hybrid 18* Veylix Rome 888 S
Callaway 2019 Apex Pro DOT 4-PW Mits MMT 125 TX/ Vega Mizar Tour Oban CT 115 X
Odyssey WHP #3-Stability Tour, Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5, Toulon Long Island Garage-Stability Shaft
Callaway MD5 Jaws Tour Grey 50/54/58 and  Cobra Tour Versatile 50/54/58 Mitsubishi MMT 125TX Graphite
Lamkin Sonar Plus Wrap

WITB Link

Since y'all got back, how many times have y'all gone out to the garage and just stared at your new clubs?? I'd be out there all day! Lol

Thanks for the reviews. I've been really enjoying "living" this experience with y'all.

LOL, my wife would've had to go to the spare room.

Thanks!

Great! Anything about takeaway or club face position? I only ask because he seems to be directing your backswing to the halfway back position as if he's making a specific point in that regard. For some reason, that's what the photo led me to believe. Maybe I'm overreaching here or taking the photo too literally. Regardless, thanks for all of the great insight and congratulations on such a great expereince!

Just getting some separation from my body with my left arm. Then just rotating through the shot.

It makes sense, just feels different.

WITB:
Callaway BBA 5 Wood
Apex Hybrid 23deg
Apex Pro 5i-PW
MD3 52, 56 W-Grind
MD3 60 PM Grind

Averages_Redacted.jpg

Groupings_Redacted.jpg

Very similar numbers (club, ball, and aoa) to me so this is interesting--thanks. A couple questions, were you hitting 3 wood off the deck or off a tee? And what loft did you end up with in driver?

Stealth 2+ 9* - Ventus TR Blue 6x
Taylormade Stealth 2+ 15* - Ventus TR Blue 7x
Taylormade Stealth UDI 3 iron - X100
Taylormade P770 4-5 iron - X100

Taylormade P7MC 6-pw - X100
Taylormade MG3 - 50 SB, 56 SB, 60 LB
Taylormade Juno TP long neck

Custom 1/1 Rory Nike Oven proto 006, Oven Method Matter B2/01

Yes. The coat closet by the door out of the house is a golf closet. Full bag, towels, spare headcovers, shafts, tees, torque wrenches, and 22 pairs of golf shoes.

Very similar numbers (club, ball, and aoa) to me so this is interesting--thanks. A couple questions, were you hitting 3 wood off the deck or off a tee? And what loft did you end up with in driver?

3W was all of the tee, we focused on that since I rarely hit it off the deck.

Driver is 9.0 at standard settings. Sliding track @ Full Fade.

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

A question for the participants. Was the thought of going with matching the gap wedge to your iron set, rather than wedge specific, ever entertained? I would like to know what the fitters philosophy on this option might be.

Titleist TSr 3 10°, Ventus Blue 6s
Titleist TSr 2 16.5°, Ventus Blue 7s

Ping G430 3, 4, 5 hybrid, Alta CB Black 70s

PXG 0317T 6-9, Mitsubishi MMT 80s
Vokey SM9 46°, 50°, 54° D, 60° T, Mitsubishi MMT 85s

L.A.B. Mezz.1 Max 35”, Accra

A question for the participants. Was the thought of going with matching the gap wedge to your iron set, rather than wedge specific, ever entertained? I would like to know what the fitters philosophy on this option might be.

Yes, i absolutely considered it and at first ordered 4-GW. The fitter asked me to hit a few with the MD 52 degrees and said they'd bend it to 51 if i liked it. Normally i get the set GW.

I hit probably 10 in a row around 115 which is normally what i use my GW for. And to his point i'll probably be a lot better with it for 3/4 swings, so i changed my order

At Torrey i hit it on #2 , on #13 and #15 for my approach and each time had a makeable birdie. So far i haven't had any issue adjusting to the smaller wedge for those distances i guess

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

You guys that use Apex Pro (guys who went or anyone really) , do you guys find the finish doesn't hold up very well? 2 of my irons have like a big scratch down the middle already , i'm not even sure how that happened. It's only cosmetic i'm sure but they seem to get dinged up

I played my 850 forged 2 seasons and still don't have any marks like that on them. I'm sure it's just the finish of the face, maybe someone could school me on that

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Sorry for taking so long to get this up and posted. Things have been pretty hectic since I got back from San Diego.

Day 1

I got to the airport with plenty of time checked in and got a 1st class upgrade bump, "wow this really is going to be the best week ever." We board the plane and pull out to the runway, power up and then hard on the brakes. Captain comes over and says we have a mechanical issue and have to return to the gate, "oh crap this cant' be good." Once back to the gate the captain comes over again telling us that maintenance is going to come look into the problem and tells us if one person gets off then we all have to get off. As soon as that is said everyone starts looking around to find out who's going to be the jerkface that does it. Luckily the gate crew changes their mind and lets people off without clearing the plane. After about a 2 hour delay we are back out on the runway and headed to San Diego and everything is smooth from there. On the upside I got through 6 episodes of Narcos in a "2hr 45min" flight... LOL.

After landing in San Diego I grabbed my bags and jumped in the car and we were off to the hotel. As I was walking in Johnny was there to greet me and give me my room key and let me know they were down in the bar getting to know each other. A beer sounded great after my painful travel day. So I took my stuff up to the room and was treated to a bed covered in swag from Callaway, "holy crap I guess it starts now."

Back down to the bar to meet the gang. Immediately it was evident that we were all going to get along, a group of golf nuts all with the same addiction (not beer but golf). After a couple hours of sitting out in the warm Socal sun chatting it was time to head to the ECPC. So we all headed up to our rooms to get ready and then we loaded up on the bus and were off.

Pulling up to the ECPC we really couldn't see much because it was dark. Once we were all off the bus we walked out on the driving range and they had converted it into evening event space. There were stations with various types of food from tiny tacos, brats and mac n cheese, and of course beer and wine. During the first 30 minutes or so we were introduced to a bunch of the Callaway folks who genuinely were excited for us to be there. There was a quick tour around the facility and we were then told about the fun little events that were set up for us that night. We were broken into groups for our putter fitting and split up to explore. As you have probably already read there was a Long Drive contest on the simulator (of course won by Qmany) and a 7 hole putting contest (won by Mackepa). I was lucky enough to win the straightest drive 2' off the center line just barely short of Qmanys bomb (OK it was about 35yds short of it) but it was straight. For that win I was given a Phil signed Callaway hat and was pretty dang happy.

My putter fitting got started with a chat with Nate about what I liked in a putter and then we got to work. We went through a few putters and narrowed it down to a few head shapes that seemed to work best. Nate was very thorough even getting down one his hands and knees to watch my stroke and how the ball was coming off the face. We settled on a RSX V-Line Fang 35" and 3* flat. I liked the shape of some of the 2017 line of putters but they heads were all a bit too busy for me and the insert felt a little too soft for me, I prefer a firmer feeling putter. The RSX fits everything I look for in a putter.

After the evening at the ECPC was done it was back to the hotel where most of us stayed up for a bit to have a few more drinks and of course the trip to IN n Out.

Day 2

Fitting day!!!!! I was up and out of bed at 4am probably due both from childlike excitement for what was to come and also the 2 hour time difference. Once up I was quickly notified that that last 4 Moscow Mules were ill advised. After a quick breakfast I was over it and ready to go.

We arrived at the ECPC and could see it in all of its glory.

It is a great facility where you can work on any aspect of your game. We were broken into groups where half of us went and did the Tech tours and the other half started their fittings. The tech tours were very interesting even if some of the information was a bit over my head (Waterboy seemed to understand more of it than I did, probably because he's and engineer). One of the most interesting things was finding out how high the MOI on the new low spin driver was that made me more excited about the fitting. The highlight of the tech tour was the wedge segment. Hosted by none other than Roger Cleveland!!!! He spend a little bit talking about the new wedges and how important getting the right wedge was and then he told us to go try them out. I pitched a few balls and then got a tap on the shoulder and was handed a wedge "this one probably fits you a little better" Roger said. After only 3-4 balls it was evident that the new 2017 wedge was going to be the one for me. It has a much straighter leading edge which is what I like in a wedge. I have struggled to find new wedges since I ran out of Vokey SM4 TVDs but I have now found the replacement.

Now it was time for the full bag fitting, I have to say I was a little nervous. John made me feel very comfortable and we were off and running. We started with irons, I love my Srixon 745s, so they were going to be tough to beat. After getting a baseline we started testing, I had thought I would end up with a mixed bag of Apex and Apex Pro but after hitting 4 irons side by side there really was no reason to go with the Apex for me. Although the Apex was slightly longer the Pro was a tighter dispersion and didn't miss as left. Also the Pro felt much better to me. As for shafts after trying everything we possibly could there was a decision reached. I had been not paying too much attention to what we were using as to try and be un biased, there was a clear winner looking at the Trackman numbers, Dynamic Golf X100 I think he could see it on my face when he told me what it was the look of "oh thats kind of boring" but there is a reason they're so popular still to this day. He said "why don't we put Tour Issue X100 in them so it's at least cool." As I mentioned earlier about the wedges it was already decided that the new 2017 wedge was the one for me, so we spent a little bit getting the gapping right.

Then it was time for the big stick. Few of the other guys mentioned I had a Taylormade Tour Issue M2 and you could see he was looking forward to fitting up against it. We started with the standard 2017 driver head and went through a few shafts with pretty good success. It was producing slightly better numbers than my M2 but something about it just wasn't working for me. So he went to get one of the Low spin heads and put one together for me. As he was doing that I noticed there was a bit of a group of Callaway metalwoods R&D guys gathering around behind me watching the driver duel, nerves increase a bit after that. So John comes back with a low spin driver and I peg one up and take a rip. It was immediately evident this was the head for me. It was either the first or second swing that produced a 1.59 smash factor, as soon as I hit it I turned and said this is it and you could see it on the faces of everyone behind me. They all had seen the numbers on the Trackman already and they had the big smile of "Yep we knew this driver was the real deal." After we were done with driver it was time for 3 wood John went straight to the low spin 3 wood and the same shaft as in the driver only 10g heavier. I hit one ball and knew it wasn't going to get any better than that fastest fitting ever for that club. He asked if I wanted to try anything else and I said no that was going to be perfect. I'm looking forward to some range time to put that up against my M2 3 wood, but I will say it seemed every bit as long as the M2 and had a really nice feel. We spent some time after that trying to figure out what club to fill the gap from 3 wood to 4 iron and we decided on a Apex 18* hybrid. At that point it was time to head back to the hotel and clean up for dinner. The end result of the fitting was:

2017 Low spin driver Graphite Design AD-TP7x set to S-N 45"

2017 Low spin 3 wood Graphite Design AD-TP8x set to S-N 43"

Apex 18* Apex hybrid Motore Speeder 8.8 HYB X

Apex Pro 4-pw TI Dynamic Golf X100 Std Length and Lie

2017 Wedges 50-54-58 TI DG x100 in the 50 and X400 in the 54-58.

After the fittings we headed over to HQ for a Tour and a round table discussion which has been covered by some of the others so I won't get into it because I've been blabbering on forever.

Dinner that night was great the food was good the drinks were hitting the spot and the conversations was awesome. We all could have stayed there all night talking about the thing we loved, GOLF. We were all pretty excited about playing Torrey Pines the next morning so it wasn't too late of a night.

DAY 2

We arrived at Torrey ready to go and as we pull in we can see all of our bags lined up with our new gear all ready to go. Jaws dropped, sweet new stand bags and custom Seamus headcovers.

My group was Hipcheck, Luke Williams (White Godzilla), Dave Neville and I, it was a great group. Luke and Dave were awesome to play with and we had a great time. Unfortunately we finished 2 shots back of the joker who won so no year supply of balls for me.... I could go on and on about how much fun we had and it still wouldnt do it justice. Just know that it was the perfect way to wrap up the experience. After our round was over Luke gave me his putter cover, I had mentioned how cool it was earlier in the round and he remembered then found me on the bus and let me have it.

I will wrap it up here because this is CRAZY long already... I could go on for page after page. I would like to thank everyone at Callaway for this experience they are all amazing people who are truly doing what they love. They are every bit as excited about golf and golf equipment as we are. Every single person we encountered was happy to see us and happy to answer our questions. I will forever remember this trip and talk to any one that will still listen to me about it. If you are considering new clubs this year you should definitely take a look at the Callaway offerings and be ready to be impressed by the 2017 Driver line up. Because I was sure that my M2 was tough to beat and they did it!

If you managed to read this whole posting thank you! It was amazing and I will forever be thankful to everyone who made it possible GolfWRX is an amazing community! I will keep in touch with the other trip members and we will hopefully have a reunion in the future.

So am i correct in deducing that everyone of you liked all the callaway clubs better than what you have been playing?

Driver, yes by a wide margin

3 wood and hybrid i don't know that i gained anything tangible that will affect scores, but i like the clubs. I like having the D+ in both which is a shaft i know. So they have that going for them

Irons just based on the fitting i gained some yards so let's go with yes right now

Wedges i prefer the feel of my previous wedges but will keep the Callaways in the bag to give them a go

Putter it's hard to say, i just bought a custom putter before going. But i'll give the Odyssey a go. Fitter seemed to think it would work for me

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

"If you are considering new clubs this year you should definitely take a look at the Callaway offerings and be ready to be impressed by the 2017 Driver line up. Because I was sure that my M2 was tough to beat and they did it!"

This is what I've been waiting to see. I'm ALWAYS considering new clubs. Thanks!

So am i correct in deducing that everyone of you liked all the callaway clubs better than what you have been playing?

For the most part, yes. I probably preferred the shape of my old three wood over the new one but the fitting I received gave me a confidence in my new sticks that weren't there all the time with the old ones. My irons and wedges were hardly changed so it's a pretty smooth transition.

The other one up in the air is the putter. My RSX that I was fit for is still in California receiving some substantial upgrades then being shipped to me. I will have to see what she does when she is back in my hands.

10.5* G430 Max Diamana BF 60

15* G430 Max Diamana Ahina 70

21* Apex UW Diamana Ilima 80
22* (bent 23*) X Forged UT KBS Proto

Apex   MB 5-PW $-Taper 

Vokey SM9 Raw 50F, 56F, 60T

Toulon La Grange SB w/ KBS CT Tour

Jones Players Series 003

Everything I was fit for was an improvement on technology and forgiveness from what I had to what I have.

The only two things that might take some adjustment is the 60deg PM grind and the new 2017 putter since those are so personal and I would be kicking clubs that I am pretty comfortable with. I'm going to get some golf in during January for an annual trip and all of the new stuff is coming with.

WITB:
Callaway BBA 5 Wood
Apex Hybrid 23deg
Apex Pro 5i-PW
MD3 52, 56 W-Grind
MD3 60 PM Grind

For the most part, yes. I probably preferred the shape of my old three wood over the new one but the fitting I received gave me a confidence in my new sticks that weren't there all the time with the old ones. My irons and wedges were hardly changed so it's a pretty smooth transition.

The other one up in the air is the putter. My RSX that I was fit for is still in California receiving some substantial upgrades then being shipped to me. I will have to see what she does when she is back in my hands.

What kind of upgrades to the RSX?

Ping G425 LST w Accra TZ6CB      M5 Rocket 14* Accra RPG 472    CBX119 18* EvenFlow Black 
Mizuno MP20 MMC w KBS $Taper     Mizuno T22  50, 54, 60 - DG TI S400     LAB Mezz1 Max    OldSkool Ping L8
#TeamJetSpeed - Dec 2013