2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

#TheWRX: The EPIC Event at Callaway Golf. 8 Members are treated to TheWRX

I have been reading this thread and living vicariously through the lucky 8 since it was first started. I just want to thank all those involved for allowing the wrx community to follow along. All you guys did a wonderful job with your reviews and it was a treat to read them. It is clear they did a perfect job chosing the right people for this trip of a lifetime. With all the swag and free stuff aside, the thing I was the most interested to read about was the fittings. As somebody who has never been fitted for any club in my bag (well except thru trial and error myself), it was great hearing about the process and how the callaway guys were fitting you for your misses rather than just distance was a real eye opener for me. I am hoping to get fit for irons sometime this next year and reading these reviews gave me some great insights on what should be involved.

Again thanks to everyone involved and especially QMany, MtlJeff, Sean2, Brizam, Waterboy, Hot Rod 71, gregh729, and mackepa for taking the time to post their thoughts and answering our questions.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been reading this thread and living vicariously through the lucky 8 since it was first started. I just want to thank all those involved for allowing the wrx community to follow along. All you guys did a wonderful job with your reviews and it was a treat to read them. It is clear they did a perfect job chosing the right people for this trip of a lifetime. With all the swag and free stuff aside, the thing I was the most interested to read about was the fittings. As somebody who has never been fitted for any club in my bag (well except thru trial and error myself), it was great hearing about the process and how the callaway guys were fitting you for your misses rather than just distance was a real eye opener for me. I am hoping to get fit for irons sometime this next year and reading these reviews gave me some great insights on what should be involved.

Again thanks to everyone involved and especially QMany, MtlJeff, Sean2, Brizam, Waterboy, Hot Rod 71, greagh729, and mackepa for taking the time to post their thoughts and answering our questions.

It was our pleasure. We all talked about trying to post as much as possible while we were there. Every few minutes something would happen and one of us would say "I got it, putting it on WRX now".

We all had a good sense of community and knew how much you guys were looking forward to seeing what was going on.

On fittings. I definitely recommend doing one. And make sure you are fit for the miss. Being long is great but being long and out of play isn't much fun at all. Just ask me about 10yrs ago.

One of the best parts of my day was getting back to the hotel so i could post a bit and update guys on stuff.

I only had 200MB of data i could use for like 4 days on my US plan. So i was a super negligent poster usually until we got back to the Hotel

I've never asked about free wifi so much LOL.

The other guys would get back to the hotel and i'd be late for dinner because i was posting.

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

One of the best parts of my day was getting back to the hotel so i could post a bit and update guys on stuff.

I only had 200MB of data i could use for like 4 days on my US plan. So i was a super negligent poster usually until we got back to the Hotel

The other guys would get back to the hotel and i'd be late for dinner because i was posting.

How much is 200MB in Canadian?

How much is 200MB in Canadian?

Like 72* Celsius

10.5* G430 Max Diamana BF 60

15* G430 Max Diamana Ahina 70

21* Apex UW Diamana Ilima 80
22* (bent 23*) X Forged UT KBS Proto

Apex   MB 5-PW $-Taper 

Vokey SM9 Raw 50F, 56F, 60T

Toulon La Grange SB w/ KBS CT Tour

Jones Players Series 003

Would you guys mind talking more about the wedge fitting process and how you got to the final choices? How many variants did you go through with wedge shafts? Was that part of the fitting more "feel" based and how did Trackman play a role in the wedge choices?

Well for me it was pretty easy. Roger Freaking Cleveland handed me a wedge and said this is the best wedge for your game. He had only seen me hit about 15 balls too. And he was right. I could hit all the shots I like to hit with the new wedges. I'll probably be buying a second 54 and 58 to use on the range.

I'm really boring with wedges because i'm not a big wedge lover. I looked at the MD forged and liked the straight leading edge, i hit it maybe 10-12 times in the 52 degree to make sure i was comfortable with full swings, then hit a few pitches with the 56 and 60.

I used trackman for 52 degree only. 56 and 60 i did not because i never take full swings anyway. When i worked on a few pitches the ball seemed to bite well

That was it for me. Than i asked about shafts because i'm used to spinners, and Roger Cleveland was there and said the difference might be a couple hundred RPM vs the S200, so i said "what do you know about wedges, Roger Cleveland?"

(i'm kidding , i did not say that....i just said, "give me the S200 then good sir!")

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

If anyone can see my signature, it says i have an MD3 wedge for the 60. That's because Callaway only had the range wedges for lefty in 60 degree. So i have the MD3 to use until the MD are released in stores and then i'm going to go buy the 60 in that model.

So that is why my sig shows MD3 for now just if you were curious. I do plan on getting the MD forged for the set

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

The attention to detail that the 8 of us have shown is second to none.

As a group your responses it have been greatly appreciated! Also the frankness and honesty that you are posting is great to see.

Ping G425 LST w Accra TZ6CB      M5 Rocket 14* Accra RPG 472    CBX119 18* EvenFlow Black 
Mizuno MP20 MMC w KBS $Taper     Mizuno T22  50, 54, 60 - DG TI S400     LAB Mezz1 Max    OldSkool Ping L8
#TeamJetSpeed - Dec 2013

So tour issue clubs or not??

It's debatable. They don't have the TC serial but they were built by the tour facility and each iron head was weighed to the .001 of a gram. All our woods received hot melt to achieve desired swing weights. My irons were pretty overlength so they had to dust off a top secret drawer of light heads.

I would consider my clubs retail clubs except my putter. My putter is definitely tour issue

10.5* G430 Max Diamana BF 60

15* G430 Max Diamana Ahina 70

21* Apex UW Diamana Ilima 80
22* (bent 23*) X Forged UT KBS Proto

Apex   MB 5-PW $-Taper 

Vokey SM9 Raw 50F, 56F, 60T

Toulon La Grange SB w/ KBS CT Tour

Jones Players Series 003

Would you guys mind talking more about the wedge fitting process and how you got to the final choices? How many variants did you go through with wedge shafts? Was that part of the fitting more "feel" based and how did Trackman play a role in the wedge choices?

Mine was straight forward:

Me: I like the md forged.

Fitter: oh no, not going to work for you. You need a wide sole. Like a w grind.

Me: (sigh) can I try the md forged?

Fitter: sure, but take the W grind too. The 60 pm also

/walks to spot, swings with md forged

-thin, thin, chunk

Fitter: do you usually hit wedges that clean? (Knowing the answer already) now try a couple with the md3.

-struck well, and again, and again

Fitter: go to that flag

Me: ok

-at it, again, again

Me: just get me the md3s

/walks away.

So yeah. That's how it went. I didn't mess with shafts. I've done it in the past and seen no gain in wedges besides style points.

Twitter: @itsnotgriffin
Site: [url="http://www.thebottomgroove.com/"]www.thebottomgroove.com[/url]

WITB:
Callaway Big Bertha Epic 10.5
Callaway BBA 5 Wood
Callaway XR 7 Wood - Frankenstyle
Apex Hybrid 23deg
Apex Pro 5i-PW
MD3 52, 56 W-Grind
MD3 60 PM Grind
Odyssey O-Works - #1/3T (putter commitment issues)

So am i correct in deducing that everyone of you liked all the callaway clubs better than what you have been playing?

It is hard to say so quickly, but I'll take a guess:

Wedges and irons, yes. I found my dispersion with irons noticeably improved and wedges recommended by Cleveland and a Tour-level fitter.

Hybrid, probably not. The build feels odd, heavy and stiff. Was going dead right on me.

3W, I didn't get to hit it enough. I love my Mini, but I'll ditch it if the New 3W offers same benefits off the tee and versatility off the deck.

Driver, it'll require head-to-head on-course testing. Early results are promising though.

Putter, yes. Last year I committed to one putter all year. I'll do the same this year and might as well do it with one expertly fit and built for me.

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

Wrx issued. Way better.

My 7 wood is one of a kind. From the builders mouth. You won't find another like it anywhere.

WITB:
Callaway BBA 5 Wood
Apex Hybrid 23deg
Apex Pro 5i-PW
MD3 52, 56 W-Grind
MD3 60 PM Grind

Rod has a special wedge i can tell you that!!!!

my stuff is basically right off the rack. Only cool thing i can say is that the SZ driver i have was at the ECPC for Phil i believe until he cancelled his appointment there. At least as legend has it.

I'm telling everyone i have Phil's driver.

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

my stuff is basically right off the rack. Only cool thing i can say is that the SZ driver i have was at the ECPC for Phil i believe until he cancelled his appointment there. At least as legend has it.

LOL, will that be from adjoining fairways?

LOL, will that be from adjoining fairways?

Did you see my swing video from #1 at Torrey? I missed the fairway by like 20 yards. It HAS to be his!

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

A question for the participants. Was the thought of going with matching the gap wedge to your iron set, rather than wedge specific, ever entertained? I would like to know what the fitters philosophy on this option might be.

Yes, i absolutely considered it and at first ordered 4-GW. The fitter asked me to hit a few with the MD 52 degrees and said they'd bend it to 51 if i liked it. Normally i get the set GW.

I hit probably 10 in a row around 115 which is normally what i use my GW for. And to his point i'll probably be a lot better with it for 3/4 swings, so i changed my order

At Torrey i hit it on #2 , on #13 and #15 for my approach and each time had a makeable birdie. So far i haven't had any issue adjusting to the smaller wedge for those distances i guess

Thanks for the info Jeff. Sounds like you definitely made the right choice!

Titleist TSr 3 10°, Ventus Blue 6s
Titleist TSr 2 16.5°, Ventus Blue 7s

Ping G430 3, 4, 5 hybrid, Alta CB Black 70s

PXG 0317T 6-9, Mitsubishi MMT 80s
Vokey SM9 46°, 50°, 54° D, 60° T, Mitsubishi MMT 85s

L.A.B. Mezz.1 Max 35”, Accra

-thin, thin, chunk

Fitter: do you usually hit wedges that clean? (Knowing the answer already) now try a couple with the md3.

-at it, again, again

/walks away.

So yeah. That's how it went. I didn't mess with shafts. I've done it in the past and seen no gain in wedges besides style points.

The problem with that is the ground you play on would impact the grind you get. My home course here in Georgia is hard clay based soil so I got the C grind MD3. I played at Bay Hill early this week and the C grind just sliced into the loose sandy soil. Lots of chunks in the first round. For the second round I used my Apex CF16 Sand Wedge and my chips and pitches were fine. No chunks. So if you were fitted on different type of soil, your results could be different at your home course. But at the same time I will say Roger Cleveland has forgotten more about wedges than I will EVER know. So my guess is that Roger and the fitter took that into account.

Great updates, glad you had a great time, and represented GolfWRX well.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5 driver w/ Project X Riptide 50 5.0
Callaway Epic Flash 3, 5, & 7 woods w/ Fujikura Pro 2.0 R2-6

Callaway Apex 21 DCB 4 iron w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0 
Callaway Apex 21 5 - AW w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0
Callaway Mack Daddy CB 56 w/ Project X Catalyst 60 5.5
Toulon Design Palm Beach Stroke Lab
Callaway Chrome Soft

-thin, thin, chunk

-at it, again, again

/walks away.

The problem with that is the ground you play on would impact the grind you get. My home course here in Georgia is hard clay based soil so I got the C grind MD3. I played at Bay Hill early this week and the C grind just sliced into the loose sandy soil. Lots of chunks in the first round. For the second round I used my Apex CF16 Sand Wedge and my chips and pitches were fine. No chunks. So if you were fitted on different type of soil, your results could be different at your home course. But at the same time I will say Roger Cleveland has forgotten more about wedges than I will EVER know. So my guess is that Roger and the fitter took that into account.

Great updates, glad you had a great time, and represented GolfWRX well.

I agree that ground factors grind. I play 95% of my rounds in the same area and my soils are softer then what I was hitting on at the ecpc.

I've always used one kind of wedge and have just replaced it so experimenting with a wider sole is more intriguing and could end up in better results for my wedge game.

I hope this works out for the better.

WITB:
Callaway BBA 5 Wood
Apex Hybrid 23deg
Apex Pro 5i-PW
MD3 52, 56 W-Grind
MD3 60 PM Grind

-thin, thin, chunk

-at it, again, again

/walks away.

LOL, sounds like me telling my fitter the shaft I want, or Monte anything!

There, got this to the right post.

What swing weight were your previous irons and now your new irons? Did you just change head weights or were you given a combination of slightly shorter length irons and lighter heads? Thanks

It's debatable. They don't have the TC serial but they were built by the tour facility and each iron head was weighed to the .001 of a gram. All our woods received hot melt to achieve desired swing weights. My irons were pretty overlength so they had to dust off a top secret drawer of light heads.

I would consider my clubs retail clubs except my putter. My putter is definitely tour issue

Sean,

Very informative review - thanks for the thoughtful write-up!

What are the Diamana 40 and Diamana 50 shafts you have in your bag? I've played the original Diamana Blueboard, the S+ 60, and the new S+ Limited Edition 60. How does the Diamana 40 compare?

Thanks SDL!

I have always liked Diamana products and I really, really like the Diamana 40. I have played the 60. What I like about the 40 is that it is light and is a solid shaft, i.e., it's not whippy at all, yet helps get those fairway woods airborne. To me it is just a lighter version of the 60, but that is just my take on it.

Thanks for the comments from another Diamana fan! Looking at your photo of the Diamana 40, it looks like it has a lime green label to match the new driver. Does that mean it's a special "made for Callaway" shaft? Does it match the bend profile of the Red (high launch), Blue (mid), or White (low) - or does it have a unique bend profile all its own?

Thanks for any additional insights you can offer to help a fellow golfer in his 60's.

No, it's not a "made for" shaft. It is green, which I am guessing Diamana wanted to distinguish it from its other products.

I would say it has it's own bend profile, but it tends toward high, which is good for me with the 9 and Heaven woods, as they fly high and land soft.

I find this funny, as "made for" shafts are much different than years ago when Titleist Speeders used to say "Made for" on the shaft. Now the shaft companies and club companies are so in bed with each other, that they create made for shafts to coincide with new product/club releases. The only difference is, now to avoid the question both OEM's and Shaft manufacturers got constantly about a shaft being the "real deal" or not, the shaft manufacturer just makes the "made for" shaft available in the aftermarket as well, with a $300 price tag because that's just the standard now apparently.

I could make a long list of such shafts from the last several years, many of them from Callaway releases, but they are not the only OEM to do this. One example is, has a single Diamana Plus Series ever been sold to a sucker in the aftermarket at full pop? Probably very minimal, but it's available in their catalogue to dodge the made for OEM question.

I would not know. In any event whatever type of shaft I have works for me. On the other hand, Callaway purchases so many of them that they probably receive a bulk discount, given that I believe it is the "real" shaft.

Sean's comments about the Diamana in his new driver got me searching online for more info about the stock shaft choices for the new Cally drivers. The only thing I found were listings for the drivers (no images yet) on an Australian golf store site called GolfBox. They had separate listings to purchase the new drivers with each of the following shafts:

Rogue Max 60 or 70

Hzrdus 50

Fujikura Pro 60

Diamana M+ 40

I have no idea if these are the official offerings for the U.S., but this may be a hint of possibilities planned for the shaft options. If others have more definite info to share, that would be great.

I agree with Jeff. I am pretty sure that is what will be offered.

Sean,

Very informative review - thanks for the thoughtful write-up!

What are the Diamana 40 and Diamana 50 shafts you have in your bag? I've played the original Diamana Blueboard, the S+ 60, and the new S+ Limited Edition 60. How does the Diamana 40 compare?

Thanks SDL!

I have always liked Diamana products and I really, really like the Diamana 40. I have played the 60. What I like about the 40 is that it is light and is a solid shaft, i.e., it's not whippy at all, yet helps get those fairway woods airborne. To me it is just a lighter version of the 60, but that is just my take on it.

Thanks for the comments from another Diamana fan! Looking at your photo of the Diamana 40, it looks like it has a lime green label to match the new driver. Does that mean it's a special "made for Callaway" shaft? Does it match the bend profile of the Red (high launch), Blue (mid), or White (low) - or does it have a unique bend profile all its own?

Thanks for any additional insights you can offer to help a fellow golfer in his 60's.

No, it's not a "made for" shaft. It is green, which I am guessing Diamana wanted to distinguish it from its other products.

I would say it has it's own bend profile, but it tends toward high, which is good for me with the 9 and Heaven woods, as they fly high and land soft.

I just found the Diamana M+ 40 on the MRC website. It has the same green label as in your photo. Mitsubishi lists it as very light weight, pretty high torque, high launch, and mid to high spin.

Sounds about right.

I put Recoils in my Legacys, and love them. Any Recoil experiences as part of the process, or Steelfibers only for iron graphite shafts!

In my write-up I talk about the Recoils a little, which is what was fitted for. I like them much better than the Steelfibers, and the Program's. I like the feel and ball flight. The Steelfiber's (to me anyway), feel kind of boardy. The Recoils felt much smoother. Since I play at +2 inches, the fitter put me in the 460 F4 (stiff flex). This is a very light shaft, but given that the swing weight was already in the E range, these were the best for me. The Program's are a good shaft, but I hit the ball too high with them.

Nice summation Scott! :-)

Jeff, I talked a little bit about the roundtable discussion in my write-up, and Callaway's commitment to the customer.

Thanks and I will reread that!

I didn't get fit, bought my irons off eBay and a fitter not far away put a Recoil proto 110 stiff in (trade in pulls I could have gotten a great deal on). Tried it at home and seemed to take some effort but hit the ball dead straight), ended up just having him order regular 95s in F4 and those have felt great and are laser like with a good pass, but man these heads spin. Definitely concur on how smooth they are and glad I experimented with graphite.

Looks like Callaway wedges may be the next focus and waiting to see what summer sneak previews show for the Apex.

I am definitely sold on the wedges. For me they simply respond better.

I went with graphite a while ago: persistent elbow issues and swing weight.