2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

#TheWRX: The EPIC Event at Callaway Golf. 8 Members are treated to TheWRX

Just out of curiosity, say a person was visiting relatives in Palm Springs and hypothetically wanted to take a little day trip to Carlsbad, then maybe up the coast to Irvine, was any info about what Callaway charges for their process? Once I'm (oops, some person is) there it's way, way closer than anything comparable around here in their upper level network.

I believe they said earlier that it is special invite and tour pro only. I don't they you can pay to get in.

Yes. Special invitation for fitting, $150 for the fitting, and a 6 month waiting list.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been reading this thread and living vicariously through the lucky 8 since it was first started. I just want to thank all those involved for allowing the wrx community to follow along. All you guys did a wonderful job with your reviews and it was a treat to read them. It is clear they did a perfect job chosing the right people for this trip of a lifetime. With all the swag and free stuff aside, the thing I was the most interested to read about was the fittings. As somebody who has never been fitted for any club in my bag (well except thru trial and error myself), it was great hearing about the process and how the callaway guys were fitting you for your misses rather than just distance was a real eye opener for me. I am hoping to get fit for irons sometime this next year and reading these reviews gave me some great insights on what should be involved.

Again thanks to everyone involved and especially QMany, MtlJeff, Sean2, Brizam, Waterboy, Hot Rod 71, gregh729, and mackepa for taking the time to post their thoughts and answering our questions.

Thank you for the kind words. Everyone in the group was a real gentleman and we all did our level best to give you an objective view point.

Just out of curiosity, say a person was visiting relatives in Palm Springs and hypothetically wanted to take a little day trip to Carlsbad, then maybe up the coast to Irvine, was any info about what Callaway charges for their process? Once I'm (oops, some person is) there it's way, way closer than anything comparable around here in their upper level network.

I believe they said earlier that it is special invite and tour pro only. I don't they you can pay to get in.

Yes. Special invitation for fitting, $150 for the fitting, and a 6 month waiting list.

Good news is I looked this afternoon at the regular fitting network on Callaway's website and the guy I really like near Iowa City also does Callaway (I've only ever been in the Titlest bay, LOL). Conference down there in March again, could be another club testing vs. snoozefest dilemma (not really a dilemma). Nice with several inches of snow and -31 tonight (fact!) to pencil in a 2017 golf event.

I played all Callaway clubs, with the exception of the putter. The clubs I have in my bag now provide a noticeable improvement. Perhaps it was the fitting, the technology, or a bit of both.

As I have said more than once I really like these wedges. I practice my short game a lot so I may be a little more obsessive about wedges than some. The only wedge that comes close is the TM EF ATV, but the latter felt a bit harsher, and didn't respond as well around the green: the Callaway wedges did a lot of hopping and stopping and in two cases spun back. I have 10-degrees of bounce on mine as I find this works best for me under all conditions.

I will be purchasing two more of these wedges: a set for practice and a set for play.

So, let's get right down to the important stuff. MJ is known as a ladies man (in his mind). Did every woman you encountered fawn over him?

It was like Roadhouse - "I thought you'd be bigger!"

A woman at the hotel offered me a room key.

I think she worked at the front desk though

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

One of the best parts of my day was getting back to the hotel so i could post a bit and update guys on stuff.

I only had 200MB of data i could use for like 4 days on my US plan. So i was a super negligent poster usually until we got back to the Hotel

I've never asked about free wifi so much LOL.

The other guys would get back to the hotel and i'd be late for dinner because i was posting.

How much is 200MB in Canadian?

Like 72* Celsius

No no no. It's like 1.5 litres

One of the best parts of my day was getting back to the hotel so i could post a bit and update guys on stuff.

I only had 200MB of data i could use for like 4 days on my US plan. So i was a super negligent poster usually until we got back to the Hotel

I've never asked about free wifi so much LOL.

The other guys would get back to the hotel and i'd be late for dinner because i was posting.

How much is 200MB in Canadian?

Like 72* Celsius

No no no. It's like 1.5 litres

So basically Labatt's Blue Light?

Not trying to be negative but why are people fawning over things like 1.59 smash factor that are simply due to a error in reading clubhead speed?

Also, Harry just retweeted someone saying Epic SubZero. Must be part of the master plan.

[u][b]2020 Bag[/b][/u]
Titleist TS3 9.5 [i]Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S[/i]
Titleist TS3 15 [i]/Aldila Rogue Silver 70S[/i]
Titleist TS2 19 [i]/Project X Evenflow White 90 6.0[/i]
Titleist T100 4-PW[i]/True Temper AMT Tour White S300[/i]
Titleist Vokey SM7 50F, 54M, 60M 
Evnroll 1.2 34"

Rod has a special wedge i can tell you that!!!!

my stuff is basically right off the rack. Only cool thing i can say is that the SZ driver i have was at the ECPC for Phil i believe until he cancelled his appointment there. At least as legend has it.

I'm telling everyone i have Phil's driver.

LOL, will that be from adjoining fairways?

Did you see my swing video from #1 at Torrey? I missed the fairway by like 20 yards. It HAS to be his!

Yeah jeff and you can list it on the bay for say....8000 I think is the going rate for a major champions Club

Not trying to be negative but why are people fawning over things like 1.59 smash factor that are simply due to a error in reading clubhead speed?

Also, Harry just retweeted someone saying Epic SubZero. Must be part of the master plan.

No worries not taken that way. I can't speak for Bram though he can chime in on his results as he was the one who got the 1.59.

I received a reading at 1.57 which was discussed earlier in the thread as not being ...ummm....possible. The thinking was that the trackman misread my clubhead speed as you say and inflated the smash factor. That is fine with me, at the end of the day the rest of the numbers were still good. In my case i was the first group on the range, and hit a bunch of balls with both my current driver and the Callaway, i could visually see the Callaway going further, aswell as the readouts giving me the extra carry and total distance. which in my case was total distance wise, 265 vs 278 aro if i recall

In discussing with ScratchSwinger a few pages back, the theory was that my SS was measured at 99mph when it was probably closer to my average of 105, and therefor my smash would've been a bit below 1.50.

But i don't really care about smash factor. The ball was simply going further. I care about that. Before being schooled by Scratch i didn't even know how smash factor was measured and that is why i posted the 1.57. I didn't even know the math behind it was unlikely.

But i do believe the overall gist of the numbers.

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

That was it for me. Than i asked about shafts because i'm used to spinners, and Roger Cleveland was there and said the difference might be a couple hundred RPM vs the S200, so i said "what do you know about wedges, Roger Cleveland?"

(i'm kidding , i did not say that....i just said, "give me the S200 then good sir!")

Now if only we could get the rest of the forum memebers to accept/believe this.

2024 Building In-progress

Qi10 Core Head 9* w/ AD-DI 6S  (I heart you AD DI and will never sway from you again)
Qi10 Tour 3W with shaft TBD
Callaway UW 17* with shaft TBD

Titleist TS2 19* Hybrid at 20* w/ PX Evenflow Blue 85 6.0

4-PW Srixon ZX7s w/ DG AMT White S300s
MG2 TW Grind 56/60 at 54/58
Spider Tour X3

I didn't really pay attention to smash factor that much during my fitting either. I looked soley at ballspeed.

10.5* G430 Max Diamana BF 60

15* G430 Max Diamana Ahina 70

21* Apex UW Diamana Ilima 80
22* (bent 23*) X Forged UT KBS Proto

Apex   MB 5-PW $-Taper 

Vokey SM9 Raw 50F, 56F, 60T

Toulon La Grange SB w/ KBS CT Tour

Jones Players Series 003

Since y'all got back, how many times have y'all gone out to the garage and just stared at your new clubs?? I'd be out there all day! Lol

Thanks for the reviews. I've been really enjoying "living" this experience with y'all.

Garage?? These are in the spare bedroom tucked away to keep warm!!

Yes. The coat closet by the door out of the house is a golf closet. Full bag, towels, spare headcovers, shafts, tees, torque wrenches, and 22 pairs of golf shoes.

+1

Clubs are always in the house lol. Got a club room for the backup wood, irons, wedges, putters, and stock pile of wood and iron shafts.

The wifey has grown accustomed to my bag being having a permanent spot in the foyer or living room. If not in the living room a spare wedge is always with in arms reach. She understand my sickness, that's why I married her

rymail00 2018 WITB [i][b] [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1605910-rymail00-2018-witb-pic-heavy/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...witb-pic-heavy/[/url][/b][/i]

[size=3]TM M1 430 8.5* Tour Issue w/ Tensei CK Pro White 70s (with high gloss SLDR finish from Continental Golf)
Titleist 917 F3 15* D+ 80s
Titleist 915H 21* D+ 90s
Titleist 915H 24* D+ 90s
Titleist AP2 718, 5-50* Steelfiber i95s
Scratch TD DW 54* 58* KBS HiRev
Odyssey Metal X Milled 330M (current gamer) [/size]
[size=3]Ping Scottsdale TR B60[/size]
[size=3]TP Mills Heritage 349g [/size]
[size=3]Byron Morgan 006 355g [/size]
[size=3]Byron Morgan Makers Proof #4/5 solid copper [/size]
[size=3]C&L CL1 368g[/size]
Scotty Cameron Newport Studio Style

So, let's get right down to the important stuff. MJ is known as a ladies man (in his mind). Did every woman you encountered fawn over him?

It was like Roadhouse - "I thought you'd be bigger!"

A woman at the hotel offered me a room key.

I think she worked at the front desk though

Possibly the best post on this forum for 2016!

Question about the "prototype" ball that you all were given to play.

Were any of you given a release date when it goes on the shelves?

Clubs: Ping G400 Max • Callaway 816 5w • Ping i25 3-W • Ping Rustique 50* & 58* • Betti BB1 Short Slant
Shafts: Aldila Rogue White 60x • PX 8B4 • DGTI x100 • DG s300
Balls: Titleist Pro V1 • Srixon Z Star XV

So am i correct in deducing that everyone of you liked all the callaway clubs better than what you have been playing?

Driver, yes by a wide margin

3 wood and hybrid i don't know that i gained anything tangible that will affect scores, but i like the clubs. I like having the D+ in both which is a shaft i know. So they have that going for them

Irons just based on the fitting i gained some yards so let's go with yes right now

Wedges i prefer the feel of my previous wedges but will keep the Callaways in the bag to give them a go

Putter it's hard to say, i just bought a custom putter before going. But i'll give the Odyssey a go. Fitter seemed to think it would work for me

Hey Jeff,

Just curious what wedges and putter you were playing before?

Thanks.

Ryan

rymail00 2018 WITB [i][b] [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1605910-rymail00-2018-witb-pic-heavy/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...witb-pic-heavy/[/url][/b][/i]

[size=3]TM M1 430 8.5* Tour Issue w/ Tensei CK Pro White 70s (with high gloss SLDR finish from Continental Golf)
Titleist 917 F3 15* D+ 80s
Titleist 915H 21* D+ 90s
Titleist 915H 24* D+ 90s
Titleist AP2 718, 5-50* Steelfiber i95s
Scratch TD DW 54* 58* KBS HiRev
Odyssey Metal X Milled 330M (current gamer) [/size]
[size=3]Ping Scottsdale TR B60[/size]
[size=3]TP Mills Heritage 349g [/size]
[size=3]Byron Morgan 006 355g [/size]
[size=3]Byron Morgan Makers Proof #4/5 solid copper [/size]
[size=3]C&L CL1 368g[/size]
Scotty Cameron Newport Studio Style

Good news is I looked this afternoon at the regular fitting network on Callaway's website and the guy I really like near Iowa City also does Callaway (I've only ever been in the Titlest bay, LOL). Conference down there in March again, could be another club testing vs. snoozefest dilemma (not really a dilemma). Nice with several inches of snow and -31 tonight (fact!) to pencil in a 2017 golf event.

Who is the guy near Iowa City you really like for fittings? I'm braving the cold and snow in Iowa right now as well.

So a tad off topic, if Trackman had a hard time determining swing speed, are most of these types of systems from other companies also going to have that issue? Next time I'm comparing drivers where I can see these numbers at indoor should I just focus on all the ball numbers?

A lot of the fitting places I know use the GC2, which measures ball speed, spin, and launch angle accurately. You can buy an attachment for the GC2 that measures club data as well, but most places I know don't spend the extra money for that equipment. Some places have started to use the SkyTrak since it is a lot less expensive than the GC2 and almost as accurate. The SkyTrak measures only ball data and then estimates club head speed, carry distance etc. The basic GC2, like the SkyTrak, only provides an estimate of club speed and distance based on the measured ball data.

So if you are at an indoor fitting using a GC2 or SkyTrak, just focus on the ball measurements.

I got my Trackman report back. I will try to get a screen shot and post ASAP. But at first glance:

PING G30 + 45.75" Alta 55 X fit at PING HQ:

• 110.6 CHS, 166.4 BS, 1.50 SF, 12.8 launch, 2055 spin, 270.2 carry

Callaway New 2017 Driver + varying 45" 80 X fit at ECPC:

• 111.8 CHS, 166.9 BS, 1.49 SF, 12.5 launch, 1833 spin, 272.3 carry
  • 112.8 CHS, 169.7 BS, 1.50 SF, 10.2 launch, 2157 spin, 269.0 carry
  • 112.5 CHS, 169.7 BS, 1.51 SF, 12.2 launch, 2478 spin, 275.7 carry
  • 112.1 CHS, 167.6 BS, 1.49 SF, 11.6 launch, 3082 spin, 272.9 carry

(EDIT: These are actual numbers taken with wind in and off the right. He also had normalized numbers listed on his screen. Flightscope Optimizer calculates the third New 2017 Driver at 291.9 carry.)

The consistency in all of your numbers is very impressive! Explains why you shot 70 at Torrey and had the potential for an even lower round. Color me JEALOUS!

+1

I might of missed but did you guys post what setups you were fit into yet, or is that something that'll be posted when you receive your clubs?

I think they brought their clubs home with them, I guess that's why they got the travel bags.

Ok thanks. I must of missed that post.

Jeff you must be itching to hit these new sticks. I'm guessing your hitting up some indoor simulators?

Lastly is the SZ only in 9* only again in this release?

There will be two loft options of the low spin 2017 model driver :)

So a tad off topic, if Trackman had a hard time determining swing speed, are most of these types of systems from other companies also going to have that issue? Next time I'm comparing drivers where I can see these numbers at indoor should I just focus on all the ball numbers?

A lot of the fitting places I know use the GC2, which measures ball speed, spin, and launch angle accurately. You can buy an attachment for the GC2 that measures club data as well, but most places I know don't spend the extra money for that equipment. Some places have started to use the SkyTrak since it is a lot less expensive than the GC2 and almost as accurate. The SkyTrak measures only ball data and then estimates club head speed, carry distance etc. The basic GC2, like the SkyTrak, only provides an estimate of club speed and distance based on the measured ball data.

So if you are at an indoor fitting using a GC2 or SkyTrak, just focus on the ball measurements.

Thank you!

I didn't really pay attention to smash factor that much during my fitting either. I looked soley at ballspeed.

Could you give feedback on my question regarding shafts and lighter heads? Thanks

Sure, I told my fitter that I always feel so hunched over the ball and i've always felt best with irons around +1". The downside being the shafts come out weaker due to being so long and swing weights are through the roof. Nick felt I sacrificed a bit of control with them being so long but understood the need for the length. we decided on only going 3/4" over standard and getting some light heads from the pro building room to get them as close to D1 as possible.I believe Nick said evenwith the light heads they'd probably still come out around D2 or D3.

10.5* G430 Max Diamana BF 60

15* G430 Max Diamana Ahina 70

21* Apex UW Diamana Ilima 80
22* (bent 23*) X Forged UT KBS Proto

Apex   MB 5-PW $-Taper 

Vokey SM9 Raw 50F, 56F, 60T

Toulon La Grange SB w/ KBS CT Tour

Jones Players Series 003

Who is the guy near Iowa City you really like for fittings? I'm braving the cold and snow in Iowa right now as well.

Bryan Haas at Riverside!