2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

#TheWRX: The EPIC Event at Callaway Golf. 8 Members are treated to TheWRX

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry if this has been asked before but I couldn't find it. What app is this?

Shot Tracer

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Tensei AV Raw White 65X

PXG Gen 6 0311 15* - Aldila Tour Blue 75X

PXG  Gen 5 0311 19* - Aldila Tour Blue 85X

PXG 0311T Gen 5 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

How much lower spin is the SZ with weight back than standard model?

Also, if SZ with weight back is more forgiving than standard model, what's even the point of the standard one?? Surely you could just loft up with the SZ or put a higher spinning shaft if you need a bit more spin...

I agree, but the LS was probably just better in every way for some and others will have a different analysis. If the above were true then yes. A+B=Donkey. Just buy it...

Also, if SZ with weight back is more forgiving than standard model, what's even the point of the standard one?? Surely you could just loft up with the SZ or put a higher spinning shaft if you need a bit more spin...

My guess: the LS version is 200-300 RPM less. But the MOI is higher in the LS version only when the weight is back; I don't know the spin difference in that configuration. I'm a low spin player, so I needed the regular version for more spin.

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

It's just called Shot Tracer.

Shot Tracer by Visual Vertigo Software Technologies

I spent 15 minutes downloading it and showing Roger Cleveland how to use it at the ECPC. It's not 100% accurate but it's good fun.

It's just called Shot Tracer.

Shot Tracer by Visual Vertigo Software Technologies

I spent 15 minutes downloading it and showing Roger Cleveland how to use it at the ECPC. It's not 100% accurate but it's good fun.

It's definitely not 100% accurate.... My shot on #1 was WAY more offline

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I'm in the air right now headed to San Diego, so I'm hopeful that I can find a shop around there that has the "driver that shall be named" to try. I'm not holding my breath, but hopeful.

2017 will be the year of Callaway for me. I've already ordered the Apex hybrid, Pro 16 irons, MD3 wedges, and 2017 Hyperlite 5 bag in the black/white/green colors. (I'm tired of looking around for my bag when EVERYONE has a black bag.) I already have a Toulon that I love and only need to top it off with a driver and fairway. I'm even switching to the Chrome Soft after being a die hard Pro V1 guy for years.

Now, if they would just hurry up and release this pesky driver, I could have my bag set for silly season!!! :)

Oh, and this thread didn't help, or...uh...it did. Depends on how you look at it! ;)

My guess: the LS version is 200-300 RPM less. But the MOI is higher in the LS version only when the weight is back; I don't know the spin difference in that configuration. I'm a low spin player, so I needed the regular version for more spin.

Ok. But you can get your 200 revs by adding a degree of dynamic loft via the head or the shaft.

More likely it's just to have drivers at two different price points. Because otherwise the standard model sounds useless

Ok. But you can get your 200 revs by adding a degree of dynamic loft via the head or the shaft.

More likely it's just to have drivers at two different price points. Because otherwise the standard model sounds useless

It may not be ideal for everyone to launch it 1-2 degrees higher with 200-300 RPM less. I suggest you test both heads first before determining any model useless; your mileage may vary.

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

It may not be ideal for everyone to launch it 1-2 degrees higher with 200-300 RPM less. I suggest you test both heads first before determining any model useless; your mileage may vary.

That's not what I said. I said. If your spin was 200 revs too high, you could loft up a degree, get the correct spin, and a touch more launch. Not lower spin

I hit the SZ, and while it offered approximately 200 rpm's less spin, I wasn't as consistent with it. So for me, I didn't find it less "forgiving".

I'm in the air right now headed to San Diego, so I'm hopeful that I can find a shop around there that has the "driver that shall be named" to try. I'm not holding my breath, but hopeful.

2017 will be the year of Callaway for me. I've already ordered the Apex hybrid, Pro 16 irons, MD3 wedges, and 2017 Hyperlite 5 bag in the black/white/green colors. (I'm tired of looking around for my bag when EVERYONE has a black bag.) I already have a Toulon that I love and only need to top it off with a driver and fairway. I'm even switching to the Chrome Soft after being a die hard Pro V1 guy for years.

Now, if they would just hurry up and release this pesky driver, I could have my bag set for silly season!!! :)

Oh, and this thread didn't help, or...uh...it did. Depends on how you look at it! ;)

Make a couple of small changes in there and we can be bag buddies LOL

I love the Apex hybrid. Really nice feel to it and pretty forgiving for a smallish head

I'm also surprised at how high the Apex Pros launch for smaller heads

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I hit the SZ, and while it offered approximately 200 rpm's less spin, I wasn't as consistent with it. So for me, I didn't find it less "forgiving".

So less consistent is more forgiving?

I'm not sure there will be two different price points, didn't get that impression. I suppose it's possible as we didn't talk MRSP but they didn't say the SZ would be more expensive

I do think it's a valid point though, the heads are both 460cc, look similar or identical at address and are both lowish spin. My guess is most players could use either depending on small setup changes. I could probably play a regular head at 9.5 and that alone would cancel out the 200-300rpm difference while maybe costing me 1-2 yds total from launch. Not life altering

I did have that same thought, as to why 2 heads were really needed

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

So less consistent is more forgiving?

The SZ has a higher MOI, hence more "forgiveness", generally speaking. But it wasn't as forgiving for me as the one with a lower MOI. I also hit a less "forgiving" iron better than a more "forgiving" one.

I'm not sure there will be two different price points, didn't get that impression. I suppose it's possible as we didn't talk MRSP but they didn't say the SZ would be more expensive

I do think it's a valid point though, the heads are both 460cc, look similar or identical at address and are both lowish spin. My guess is most players could use either depending on small setup changes. I could probably play a regular head at 9.5 and that alone would cancel out the 200-300rpm difference while maybe costing me 1-2 yds total from launch. Not life altering

Well Jeff, they always say two heads are better than one. :-)

I know for me, I like when they have two heads and one, or both, has movable weights. Playing the driver right around 45", then the weight has to be put back somewhere, and I don't like playing heavier (over 75g) shafts in a driver. So, having a place(s) to add weight that can be discreet, and with the way the smaller weights are designed, it works quite well. Case in point: I've got at least 2/3 grams wrapped around the gravity core in my 816 and another 1 wrapped around the back weight. In the end, if they only had one head (sliding weight), well, I would probably pass on it.

Rogue ST *** 10.5  // Epic SZ 9* (+1, heavy weight forward) 
GD Tour IZ 6X // HZRDUS Black RDX 6.0 (70G)  // UST Attas 6Star 6S  

TM RBZ Tour 5 (X1) // Callaway Steelhead XR 5W (Motore F3 90S) // TM M3 (Tensei Blue)

Nike VR split cavity 4 (R300), VR Pro Blades: 5 (S300), 6 (ss X1), 7-PW (X1)

Cally MD2 52T bent-50.5*(X1), TM Highh Toe 56 bent-54.5*(KBS 2.0), 60 PM'19 (X1ss), and 64 PM'19 (S300)

Odyssey EXO #7S SC Pistolero // YES! Donna  SC Pistolero

The standard has the chevron site aide on the crown? Is the SZ crown naked?

Callaway 816 DBD - Mitsubishi MMT 70
PXG 0341X 3W - HZRDUS Yellow Hand Crafted
Callaway Epic SZ 5W - Aldila Tour Blue
Honma TW747V 4-10 - Accra 80i
Corey Paul Raw 50*

Vega VW-06 54*

Scratch 58*
Tour Cameron NP2

Nope, both are the same unfortunately.

Gross...I can't stand site aides on my clubs.

Callaway 816 DBD - Mitsubishi MMT 70
PXG 0341X 3W - HZRDUS Yellow Hand Crafted
Callaway Epic SZ 5W - Aldila Tour Blue
Honma TW747V 4-10 - Accra 80i
Corey Paul Raw 50*

Vega VW-06 54*

Scratch 58*
Tour Cameron NP2

I'd prefer the crown to be clean (like my current 2016 SZ), but the chevron won't be a deal breaker.

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

100% agree.

The one flawed thing from this release "IMO", 2 very similar heads with little variance in performance, and they make them both the same size with an identical look.

It seems to me it would have been an easy decision to leave the EPIC as is, and have the SZ crown clean.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T150 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Toulon Portland Garage 
ProV1x

100% agree.

The one flawed thing from this release "IMO", 2 very similar heads with little variance in performance, and they make them both the same size with an identical look.

It seems to me it would have been an easy decision to leave the EPIC as is, and have the SZ crown clean.

After testing them I don't think they are simliar at all. Epic has a perimeter adjustable weight that can adjust draw or fade bias for controlling shot shape. The SZ has adjustable weights from and back to control spin up or down? M1 and M2 (same crown), Ping G and Ping G LS (same crown) and those are the other two top selling drivers on the market. Gotta be something to it ;)

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

The crown really isn't a big deal, a little bit of stuff going on but if you can play cobras or tmag that have dual color crowns this should be easy

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

100% agree.

After testing them I don't think they are simliar at all. Epic has a perimeter adjustable weight that can adjust draw or fade bias for controlling shot shape. The SZ has adjustable weights from and back to control spin up or down? M1 and M2 (same crown), Ping G and Ping G LS (same crown) and those are the other two top selling drivers on the market. Gotta be something to it ;)

I have no clue on performance, have not hit either, but seemed to be the consensus from some of the reviews (not a ton of difference) between them.

I don't pay much attention to other OEM's for woods, Callaway does it right, and they have a track record of a clean crown for a "player's" head

Not a deal breaker, just more surprised than anything.

Not a big worry for me anyway, as I have no plans to even test this until summer or fall.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T150 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Toulon Portland Garage 
ProV1x