side saddle putters - what putter are you using?

brentflog

Oh, I am not doubting that it is a better way to putt. I have been tinkering with it for almost a week now. I have been working on it everyday. It does take some getting used to as I am still trying to find the correct putter length, foot position and grip/stroke. But, I am a believer...

If you decide to "convert", I'll give you some unsolicited advice:

1. Watch the videos online from Randy Haag, Juan Elizondo, and David Cook (on the "Links of Utopia" website) There is a learning curve with face on, just like with anything else, and the instructional stuff from those guys is really, really good. Haag, for instance, puts great emphasis on the top hand staying still, which I believe MUCH more now than I did 16 months ago at the outset. Elizondo's advice of hitting a zillion putts from a putting trac on a carpet in your house and/or on a straight flat putt on a putting green is just critical; the whole thing is to learn to trust that the putter is simply going back and thru and that you are starting the putt on line. Once the habit of manipulating the putter head to square it back up is overcome, things really accelerate.

2. View it as a process and don't be afraid to tweak what you are doing. I changed my bottom hand grip after several months, and changed the length of the putter after over a year, both to great benefit. That's one piece of advice from Cook that is invaluable; enjoy the process.

3. Understand that you will NOT suddenly start making lots of 30 footers; that's just not the way putting works. The difference is twofold; you will find putts from 5' and in to be FAR easier, and you will find it FAR easier to avoid three putts. Your good days putting won't necessarily be much better than before, but your average day will be somewhat better and your BAD days will be FAR better. (If, by chance, you have the yips now, all bets are off; you will putt better from Day One!)

4. Go whole hog and make the change; don't go back and forth. Give face on a set period of time, and putt ONLY that way and then assess. Going back and forth will make you worse at both, IMO.

5. Cultivate an attitude of only caring about results and not in the least what other golfers think when they see you putting face on. Cook talks about this in his video briefly, but it's something to be ready for. I had an advantage in this, I think; I'm 64 and have spent my life in competitive athletics as a player and coach, plus I play a lot of competitive golf. And because of some things that have happened to my family, I'm long past giving a damn about what anybody thinks about what I'm doing in general, much less putting a golf ball. But I also realize that not everybody is in my situation, so not everybody is going to be comfortable with the reaction of others to putting face on. (This, btw, is where somebody like Dechambeau putting this way on TV would be helpful, I think.) And the flip side of this is that you'll get people who by the middle are really interested in talking about what you are doing because they see you putting better than they are!

Anyway, good luck with putting, whatever you decide to do.

It'll be interesting to see if he kind of revolutionizes the game, or if the "fad" he's creating via single length irons and now possibly side saddle putting just fizzles out.

Honestly, I think it's almost entirely dependent on if he starts winning often and ends up a popular guy who's on TV winning said tourneys.

It'll be interesting to see if he kind of revolutionizes the game, or if the "fad" he's creating via single length irons and now possibly side saddle putting just fizzles out.

Honestly, I think it's almost entirely dependent on if he starts winning often and ends up a popular guy who's on TV winning said tourneys.

I couldn't agree more. How many post do you see on this site about a certain club a guy used the previous weekend to win a tournament.

Oh, I am not doubting that it is a better way to putt. I have been tinkering with it for almost a week now. I have been working on it everyday. It does take some getting used to as I am still trying to find the correct putter length, foot position and grip/stroke. But, I am a believer...

1. Watch the videos online from Randy Haag, Juan Elizondo, and David Cook (on the "Links of Utopia" website) There is a learning curve with face on, just like with anything else, and the instructional stuff from those guys is really, really good. Haag, for instance, puts great emphasis on the top hand staying still, which I believe MUCH more now than I did 16 months ago at the outset. Elizondo's advice of hitting a zillion putts from a putting trac on a carpet in your house and/or on a straight flat putt on a putting green is just critical; the whole thing is to learn to trust that the putter is simply going back and thru and that you are starting the putt on line. Once the habit of manipulating the putter head to square it back up is overcome, things really accelerate.

2. View it as a process and don't be afraid to tweak what you are doing. I changed my bottom hand grip after several months, and changed the length of the putter after over a year, both to great benefit. That's one piece of advice from Cook that is invaluable; enjoy the process.

3. Understand that you will NOT suddenly start making lots of 30 footers; that's just not the way putting works. The difference is twofold; you will find putts from 5' and in to be FAR easier, and you will find it FAR easier to avoid three putts. Your good days putting won't necessarily be much better than before, but your average day will be somewhat better and your BAD days will be FAR better. (If, by chance, you have the yips now, all bets are off; you will putt better from Day One!)

4. Go whole hog and make the change; don't go back and forth. Give face on a set period of time, and putt ONLY that way and then assess. Going back and forth will make you worse at both, IMO.

5. Cultivate an attitude of only caring about results and not in the least what other golfers think when they see you putting face on. Cook talks about this in his video briefly, but it's something to be ready for. I had an advantage in this, I think; I'm 64 and have spent my life in competitive athletics as a player and coach, plus I play a lot of competitive golf. And because of some things that have happened to my family, I'm long past giving a damn about what anybody thinks about what I'm doing in general, much less putting a golf ball. But I also realize that not everybody is in my situation, so not everybody is going to be comfortable with the reaction of others to putting face on. (This, btw, is where somebody like Dechambeau putting this way on TV would be helpful, I think.) And the flip side of this is that you'll get people who by the middle are really interested in talking about what you are doing because they see you putting better than they are!

a key for me has been to make sure that my eyeline stays perpendicular to the line of the putt. it is really easy for me to look down at the ball and have my eyeline turn somewhat sideways like it would during a traditional style stroke.

I agree with bluedot that sidesaddle is not a miracle stroke and takes time to get used to. Many have complained that they struggle with distance control on longer putts. I think this is just a matter of training a new feel. If you have putted on 5 stimp greens your whole life then start playing 11 stimp greens there will be a learning curve to distance control. Side saddle is no different.

I couldn't agree more. How many post do you see on this site about a certain club a guy used the previous weekend to win a tournament.

You are ABSOLUTELY correct. I still do not understand the success of the Matt Kuchar putter. Ok, fine, he is ranked in the top 20 in the world but hasn't won anything since 2014 and has only won 7 times in his 16 year career. I am not saying I could beat him but, when measured against other tour players...

You are ABSOLUTELY correct. I still do not understand the success of the Matt Kuchar putter. Ok, fine, he is ranked in the top 20 in the world but hasn't won anything since 2014 and has only won 7 times in his 16 year career. I am not saying I could beat him but, when measured against other tour players...

Perhaps it's that he was 28th on Tour in strokes gained putting in 2016, and 7th in scoring for the year. Plus, he won $3.8 million for the year, which was 15th. Plus an Olympic medal. Plus a Ryder Cup. And you might want to take a look at a list of guys who do NOT have 7 career wins on the PGA Tour...

Perhaps it's that he was 28th on Tour in strokes gained putting in 2016, and 7th in scoring for the year. Plus, he won $3.8 million for the year, which was 15th. Plus an Olympic medal. Plus a Ryder Cup. And you might want to take a look at a list of guys who do NOT have 7 career wins on the PGA Tour...

LOL :busted2: I was actually waiting for someone to ask me how many tour events I have won. But, your fact laden response was good too.

It's neat that this subject just popped back up as I heard over the weekend, and just verified that Bryson Dechambeau is considering this very putting style. I didn't see it mentioned here, and may have missed it, but thought I'd throw it out there in case anyone hadn't heard it.

According to Haag and another source (Gary Van Sickle) he has said he will switch back to side saddle after he secures his tour card, which he did this year. If he does I think this will have a greater effect of changing the game than his single length irons. I think most of us who have posted on this thread agree it is a better way to putt. Of course under current leadership, the usga and r&a will probably try to ban it. I have no idea how they could but never underestimate the usga.

Well Said on the last two lines--- You need to add one thing to the last sentence "Never underestimate the STUPIDITY of the USGA"

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

Well said I like your sentiments on " I am long past giving a damn about what anybody thinks about what I am doing in general much less putting a golf ball"---- My sentiments and philosophy of life in general

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

Just bought the Juanputt putter thanks to this forum. I ordered it on Friday and it was here on Monday. Free 3 day shipping. That's awesome customer service right there. I watched the DVD that comes with it and it does help. But the putting aid that comes with it is worth its weight in gold. It really makes you feel the proper stroke. I will be using this putting aid all winter. The putter itself is high quality as well I like the black and white head and the Winn grip is an added bonus. The feel off the face is firm and responsive which I prefer in a putter. I highly recommend this putter. And in case anyone is wondering I'm 6'2 with a 6'5 wingspan and got the 43 inch putter it fits me perfectly.

Congratulations!!! I just recently the Juanputt too. I have played about 6 rounds with it. I am still in the process of getting used to the technique though. I just received the Ice Cube putter today. WOW, is it beautiful. I was a little worried because it is just clear acrylic. But, after getting it in hand, it appears to be very well made. I am wanting to try out a longer Face-On putter to see which fits me better. I am hoping that it isn't too wet in the morning so I can do some sort of comparison.

Congratulations!!! I just recently the Juanputt too. I have played about 6 rounds with it. I am still in the process of getting used to the technique though. I just received the Ice Cube putter today. WOW, is it beautiful. I was a little worried because it is just clear acrylic. But, after getting it in hand, it appears to be very well made. I am wanting to try out a longer Face-On putter to which fits me better. I am hoping that it isn't too wet in the morning so I can do some sort of comparison.

I was thinking about getting the ice cube putter as well but I was too worried about it being clear distracting me on the green. Post pictures of you can. Enjoy the putters !

You are correct about Dechambeau doing this earlier and saying that he was going back to it. The most recent report made it sound like he was just going to try it out, which is incorrect.

I will say that the one thing that has most caught me by surprise with the switch to Face On is the reaction of other golfers; they just freak out, and the worse they are, the more freaked out they become! I have people I've never met walk up to me on the practice green and start questioning the legality, etc, of what I am doing. I'm at a point in my life where I don't much care what anybody thinks of me, much less of the way I putt a golf ball, but it does get a bit tiresome.

My theory on this is that the attention is about two things. One is of course the unusualness of what I'm doing. But I've come to believe that for many golfers, seeing me putt this way is sort of threatening; if I putt better than they do using a completely different method, then it means that they are "doing it wrong" and ought to switch, too. And that's a problem for a lot of people.

BTW, the two groups that do NOT seem freaked out? Low handicap senior players, and tournament players of any age. The lower the age, the higher the handicap, and the more casual the golfer, the more they react like I've just thrown a live cobra out on the green.

The irony of this is fantastic

• 1 month later...

I will be very interested to hear what your thoughts are on the alignment of the Cube putter. I think it would be nice to see the green through the top of the putter head. Also, it would be great if everyone would post a picture of the different type of face on / side saddle putters that they have found out on the web. I have had a few different ones, below are a couple, the Juan Putter and the Frog Putter

Driver - Cobra Speedzone

Hybrids

Cobra 17
      Wishon 775 21

Wishon 775 24 
Irons - Callaway Apex MB 6-A
Wedges - Maltby 54 60 TSW DRM
Putters - L.A.B Blad.1 and L.A.B. DF 2.1 Long
Titleist Yellow ProV1x / AVX 

Also the GP Putter and the L2 (Lateral Line) putter. I have owned both of these at one point in time

Driver - Cobra Speedzone

Hybrids

Cobra 17
      Wishon 775 21

Wishon 775 24 

A little torn on length right now. The longer length facilitates a more upright stance and more "flow", think more David Cook or Butch Sheehan. At a shorter length, like Juan Elizondo, you get a little more "poppy." But the shorter you go, I find the right forearm and elbow get parallel to the target line, so you get more of a piston action with the right elbow. They both have their merits, but it's going to require some more experimentation.

Titleist TSR3 9* w/ GD UB-6 (S)
Titleist TSR2 15* & 21* w/ GD UB-7,8 (S)
Titleist u505 22* w/ Atmos Blue HB 85 (S)
Titleist T200/150 5-PW w/ Steelfiber i110 (S)
Vokey SM8 50*, 55*, 60* w/ S300
Scotty Cameron Toolbox

Been using the JuanPutt for most of the last 16 months since I converted to Face On. I've tried two different Bobby Grace versions, the GP putter, and even an STX, which is the one that Randy Haag uses, I believe. None of them match to the JuanPutt for weighting and ease of alignment; I think it's just a great piece of equipment.

BTW, if you are considering ordering one, remember that Mr. Elizondo includes a putting trac that is fitted to his putter. I think it is a KEY piece of the puzzle in learning to trust the Face On stroke. I'm not trying to shill for him, but I DO think he's figured some stuff out about all of this.

So how many putts per round are you averaging side saddle?

Bettinardi BB8 Reserve 300 pcs. 33"

Byron Morgan 615 33"

A little torn on length right now. The longer length facilitates a more upright stance and more "flow", think more David Cook or Butch Sheehan. At a shorter length, like Juan Elizondo, you get a little more "poppy." But the shorter you go, I find the right forearm and elbow get parallel to the target line, so you get more of a piston action with the right elbow. They both have their merits, but it's going to require some more experimentation.

Preppyslapcut, you bring up some a good point in getting fit for length which I think is very important as the length of the club will effect how you stroke the ball. I have played around in the past few years with the GP, L2, STX, Hammy, 2Ball, ranging from 43" to 52" on the L2 which was huge, but on almost all of them the lower grip portion was not that low to the club head as it is with the Juan. I putted all last year with a Seemore style stroke and their FGP putter but I keep coming back to side saddle. I have been hitting some putts lately with the right hand low and it seems to fit my stroke better than the upright stroke with the longer putters.

How are you gripping the shaft with the right hand, pencil grip, back of hand facing hole, or full grip like Juan does in his video?

Driver - Cobra Speedzone

Hybrids

Cobra 17
      Wishon 775 21

Wishon 775 24 

When I go longer, I use the same grip Butch Sheehan uses (sort of a pencil but with the index finger hooked). When I go shorter, I grip it like Juan, which gets my forearm/elbow parallel to my target.

Scotty Cameron Toolbox

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone have a recommendation for a sub $100 side saddle putter? Something decent to at least try out the concept? I'm not going to drop $300 on the JuanPutt when I'm not sure I would be comfortable putting side saddle to begin with. There are some on eBay for $60-80...just not sure which ones are legit and which ones are guys building these things entirely wrong in their basements. Sounds like I'd have to make sure I get the right length as well and that is varies from model to model.

I have tried many and I think you would be fine ordering one of the $60 or $90 ones off of eBay. It would at least give you something to try different stances, hand positions etc. there are so many variables to try to see what is comfortable and consistent for yourself that I thing buying a cheaper model is a great way to go. I just ordered the Wonderputter out of Australia and it can be bought for about $130, but it is a short length face on putter style using more of a "Texas grip". I'm anxious to try yet another type. :)

Driver - Cobra Speedzone

Hybrids

Cobra 17
      Wishon 775 21

Wishon 775 24 

Anyone have a recommendation for a sub $100 side saddle putter? Something decent to at least try out the concept? I'm not going to drop $300 on the JuanPutt when I'm not sure I would be comfortable putting side saddle to begin with. There are some on eBay for $60-80...just not sure which ones are legit and which ones are guys building these things entirely wrong in their basements. Sounds like I'd have to make sure I get the right length as well and that is varies from model to model.

Almost any face-balanced long putter is going to work well enough for you to get a feel. Depending on your height, you're probably going to want something between 40"-46" (obviously there will be outliers). As has been said, look at videos you can find online from Juan Elizondo, David Cook, and Randy Haag. Try a couple different stances, grips, etc. Then it's all repetition.

Scotty Cameron Toolbox

I think buying a $60-80 version on ebay to see what you think is a good idea. The two things I'd want to be sure about before I even spent that much would be that the putter actually had an 80* lie angle, and that the shaft was set back a bit from the front edge of the putter if possible.

Most putters are around 71*, and more than 80* is not legal for play, so you don't want to spend any time at all with a putter that doesn't match up to the 80* standard. In the case of where the shaft inserts to the putter head, if it is flush with the front of the putter, it can interfere visually with the sight line to the back of the ball.

I'd also want to ask what the loft of the putter was. The better ones only have 1* of loft, and much more than that would be a detriment, IMO.

If you try this, commit and give it time. I'll say it for the umpteenth time, after 50+ years of putting conventionally; I have NO doubt that this is a simpler, better way to putt a golf ball. But it isn't a magic trick; you have to put the time in and learn ball position, grip, etc., and you have to not be bothered by other golfers freaking out when they first see you putt. And they will, believe me!

As usual, I'm late to the party but this is an outstanding post, one of the 3-5 best instructional/advice posts that I've read in my almost 4 years on the board!!

I know that they don't pin individual posts however this posts should be mandatory for anyone, I don't care what method they use, especially point #5!!

Haha, I knew Stuey would love that one?

Very Nicely Played BD!!

Fairways & Greens 4ever My Friend

Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

As usual, I'm late to the party but this is an outstanding post, one of the 3-5 best instructional/advice posts that I've read in my almost 4 years on the board!!

I know that they don't pin individual posts however this posts should be mandatory for anyone, I don't care what method they use, especially point #5!!

Haha, I knew Stuey would love that one

Very Nicely Played BD!!

Fairways & Greens 4ever My Friend

Richard

Thank you!