2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Srixon Z765 vs Z745 Irons

Fairways_and_Greens

Has anyone hit these back to back and can offer some insight on the differences?

TSR3 9° Tensei Black 65X
TSi2 15° ATX Green 75TX
917F 18° ATX Green 85X
ZX5 MkII 4-5 / ZX7 MkII 6-P  Modus 120X
ZipCore 50° Modus 120X

Vokey SM9 54S/60M Modus 125 Wedge
Nike Neo

ZStar

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure if you tried the "search" feature, but here's a pretty strong and active thread on the 765s. The very first post mentions some similarities and differences between the 45 and 65 and there are many more comparisons throughout the thread. Enjoy!

http://www.golfwrx.c...ughts-and-pics/

TaylorMade M3 w/HZRDUS Yellow stiff
TaylorMade M4 Tour 3 wood w/HZRDUS Red stiff
TaylorMade M3 2 hybrid (set to 19*) w/HZRDUS Black stiff
Srixon U65 4i Miyazaki Stiff
Srixon 765 5-PW Modus 120 Stiff
Cleveland RTX 3.0 50*, 54*, and 58* KBS 61
TaylorMade Spider Black

Gameball: Vice Pro Plus, Srixon Q Star Tour

I did the "search" and checked out that thread. It was mainly guys so excited about their 765s, that's all they talked about. I saw Russ' comment. Several of the guys that were praising the 765s have already moved on to other irons...

TSR3 9° Tensei Black 65X
TSi2 15° ATX Green 75TX
917F 18° ATX Green 85X
ZipCore 50° Modus 120X

Nike Neo

ZStar

I did the "search" and checked out that thread. It was mainly guys so excited about their 765s, that's all they talked about. I saw Russ' comment. Several of the guys that were praising the 765s have already moved on to other irons...

what! :swoon: THATS BLASPHEMY!

Oh wait this is the Wrx people change clubs as often as they change a roll of toilet paper.

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

Found these in the first few pages. I know no one likes to look for the answers, but they are there. I promise. Either way, happy hunting. I never hit the 745s but will be ordering a set of the 765s tomorrow. I was fit for them in a comparison with the Mizuno MP-5, Cobra King Tec Forged, and my current irons which are the Nike VPC. The data on the 765s was way better than any of the others, especially with the Nippon Modus 120 stiff shaft.

"Stunning looks very similar to 745's. They seem to have a longer blade length close to Bridgestone J15CB and also seem to be 1/4 inch longer like the j15CB. Swing weight feels nice. I love the new stock offering Nippon Modus 120 and glad they put the Tour Velvet 360 instead of those horrible red lamkin grips."

"I got to see the new models today in my pro shop as the rep dropped them off. I really liked the look of the new driving iron with much less offset then the u45 and some of the new putters were really nice to. I didnt think the irons looked much different to the 745s which i use myself."

"Hit the same combo (765/565) yesterday and you've ordered a winner. I'm not gonna order anything to replace my 745/945's but if I did, these would be the ones."

"I play the 45s and DEMO'd the 65's yesterday, I couldn't find any difference in performance at all. The 65s appeared a hair smaller/thinner all around but it was almost too difficult to tell outside in the sun. Just an all around amazing club no matter what set you choose."

TaylorMade Spider Black

:sleep:

The only bad thing about the 745/765's are the 945/965s are out there for those who really want the ultimate in a club. Just kidding I'm new to Srixon and I love the 945's. They are performers and stunning. I'm sure the 745/65's are wonderful as well. From what I've read they moved the weight a little more toward the toe side for the 65's. So those who's miss is more toe oriented these should feel a little better. If you miss is heel side save some money and go 45's. If it's both...well I don't know, guess 545's?? If you hit it in the center most of the time get the 900 series.

The biggest reason peeps have moved on, a) they didnt work out for them which could have been a few reasons, loft/lie, shaft even grip. Who knows. The other reason was the dramatic price drop on the 45s. If you werent sure they would be your gamers, my guess is people started to dump them before the price dropped anymore.

Despite being quality products, similar to Cobra, Srixons just dont hold their value here. I sold my 745/945 set and grabbed a set of 765/965 and a set of mint Ztx 2s. I paid a little over $100 for those Srixons ($120ish). Just a silly deal.

Now to the question, as Ive said IMO and reiterating MO, if you hit them fairly center there is no reason to upgrade. The 65s are exceptionally sweet but only if you hit towards the toe.. where the mass was relocated. If you hit towards the heel, the 45s are where its at. Not saying either cant be hit in the other spot, but my shots tend to lean towards the toe and the extra mass, small as it is, has helped on those misses.

The soles, though they look different appear to do the same. The 45s are a bit chunkier, the 65s a bit leaner. Some said there was more offset in the 65s but I didnt notice anything. The 65s have bigger grooves, but im not good enough to notice 5%. Lastly, the 65s are rounded (my preference) 45s are squared, others preferences.

heres a pretty good run down.

http://www.golfalot....eview-3670.aspx

for the price one can find the 45s, and the guarantee the 65s will follow suit, id get the 45s now and wait for 65s after they drop.

oh... last thought, if you were gonna go combo then i would lean towards the 65s as they seem to flow better. Lots of comments were made about coudnt discern between 565 and 765 from address. The 45s, though still smooth, you could notice.

G425 Max 10.5* Diamana S LTD

G425 Max 16.5* Diamana 75 FW 

G425 Max 19* MMT 80 

Srixon ZX UT 23* MMT 90

Srixon ZX5 5-AW MMT 105

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 54/58 MMT 105 SW

Ping Kushin 4

WITB

Russ.. as always taking the lead on Srixon topics, thanks for the information.

Cadman, Looking at your signature and we have a very similar make up. I've got a U45 20* on order with that same shaft in yours. What is your thoughts on it? I was leaning towards just adding the 945 3 iron but went the U45 route instead. Curious to hear your thoughts. Thanks. Planning on it knocking out my 5 wood.

Russ.. as always taking the lead on Srixon topics, thanks for the information.

Cadman, Looking at your signature and we have a very similar make up. I've got a U45 20* on order with that same shaft in yours. What is your thoughts on it? I was leaning towards just adding the 945 3 iron but went the U45 route instead. Curious to hear your thoughts. Thanks. Planning on it knocking out my 5 wood.

I just sent you a PM just to discuss some similarities in our thinking but I might as well add my thoughts here as well..

So I finally got a chance to hit my z945 with Modus3 Tour 105s 7 iron today on the local sim.. I am very impressed with it.. distances and feel were right were they typically are mid-season for me (170 carry average) given that my season here in Upstate NY (near Buffalo) is typically May - September I was very happy to have those type of results.. I personally think that the z945's with the weight mass centered versus out towards the toe like the z65 series just works better for me.

As for the U45 20° I also put my first swings on it today at the same sim, just my thoughts here.. the shaft seems very light, I could not get it up in the air very well. I played a UDI 18° last season (liked it a lot, hit it very well.. it replaced my 5 wood) (sold it to fund other stuff...) I'm not sure that the shaft is the right fit for it, the head sole is very wide.. not something I could hit down on, it's best for a sweeper. Regarding the z945 3 iron.. I had a Tour Issue one, I tried it, I did not like it at all, it felt like what I would expect a true blade iron to feel like, which I will add, during my Srixon iron fitting I tried the z965 demo iron, and it also felt like what I'd think a true blade feels like.. the z945 just feels better to me.

Found these in the first few pages. I know no one likes to look for the answers, but they are there. I promise. Either way, happy hunting. I never hit the 745s but will be ordering a set of the 765s tomorrow. I was fit for them in a comparison with the Mizuno MP-5, Cobra King Tec Forged, and my current irons which are the Nike VPC. The data on the 765s was way better than any of the others, especially with the Nippon Modus 120 stiff shaft.

"Stunning looks very similar to 745's. They seem to have a longer blade length close to Bridgestone J15CB and also seem to be 1/4 inch longer like the j15CB. Swing weight feels nice. I love the new stock offering Nippon Modus 120 and glad they put the Tour Velvet 360 instead of those horrible red lamkin grips."

"I got to see the new models today in my pro shop as the rep dropped them off. I really liked the look of the new driving iron with much less offset then the u45 and some of the new putters were really nice to. I didnt think the irons looked much different to the 745s which i use myself."

"Hit the same combo (765/565) yesterday and you've ordered a winner. I'm not gonna order anything to replace my 745/945's but if I did, these would be the ones."

"I play the 45s and DEMO'd the 65's yesterday, I couldn't find any difference in performance at all. The 65s appeared a hair smaller/thinner all around but it was almost too difficult to tell outside in the sun. Just an all around amazing club no matter what set you choose."

I read that entire thread before I created this one. I was looking for a comparison in feel, launch specs, etc. The comparisons you posted are visual, which anyone could do looking at the pictures.

TSR3 9° Tensei Black 65X
TSi2 15° ATX Green 75TX
917F 18° ATX Green 85X
ZipCore 50° Modus 120X

Nike Neo

ZStar

The last two quotes I gave you were from people who hit both. There are others in there. I didn't mean to offend you if I did. Just saying the comparisons are out there. Happy hunting!!!

TaylorMade Spider Black

The biggest reason peeps have moved on, a) they didnt work out for them which could have been a few reasons, loft/lie, shaft even grip. Who knows. The other reason was the dramatic price drop on the 45s. If you werent sure they would be your gamers, my guess is people started to dump them before the price dropped anymore.

Despite being quality products, similar to Cobra, Srixons just dont hold their value here. I sold my 745/945 set and grabbed a set of 765/965 and a set of mint Ztx 2s. I paid a little over $100 for those Srixons ($120ish). Just a silly deal.

Now to the question, as Ive said IMO and reiterating MO, if you hit them fairly center there is no reason to upgrade. The 65s are exceptionally sweet but only if you hit towards the toe.. where the mass was relocated. If you hit towards the heel, the 45s are where its at. Not saying either cant be hit in the other spot, but my shots tend to lean towards the toe and the extra mass, small as it is, has helped on those misses.

The soles, though they look different appear to do the same. The 45s are a bit chunkier, the 65s a bit leaner. Some said there was more offset in the 65s but I didnt notice anything. The 65s have bigger grooves, but im not good enough to notice 5%. Lastly, the 65s are rounded (my preference) 45s are squared, others preferences.

heres a pretty good run down.

http://www.golfalot....eview-3670.aspx

for the price one can find the 45s, and the guarantee the 65s will follow suit, id get the 45s now and wait for 65s after they drop.

oh... last thought, if you were gonna go combo then i would lean towards the 65s as they seem to flow better. Lots of comments were made about coudnt discern between 565 and 765 from address. The 45s, though still smooth, you could notice.

Thanks for the link Russ. I had a weak moment last night and ordered a 4-P in the Z765 for $622. I got them in the Modus 125. If I don't like them, I'll put in my Super Peening Blues to recoup some of the cost. I've been bouncing between my JPX-825 Pros and MP-69s. I think the Z765 will be a perfect mix and I could go back to one set...

TSR3 9° Tensei Black 65X
TSi2 15° ATX Green 75TX
917F 18° ATX Green 85X
ZipCore 50° Modus 120X

Nike Neo

ZStar

Personally, I don't think I am good enough to tell the difference between the two. Basically, I bought the 765s because I could choose my shafts, lie/loft angles and grips. With the 745s you get what it comes with, even if you can find a new set floating around somewhere.

Also, the length of how long any club stays in a WRXer's bag does not reflect on the club in any way :)

Callaway Rogue Max LS Driver, 9 degrees, Tensei Blue shaft

Mizuno ST180 5 wood

Ping G425 Max 7 wood
Srixon ZX4 4 iron
Srixon ZX5 irons 5-PW, Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 shafts

Cleveland RTX6 48* wedge

Cleveland Zipcore 54* wedge
Cleveland RTX 58* full face wedge
Nike Method Core Drone 2.0 putter 34"

Personally, I don't think I am good enough to tell the difference between the two. Basically, I bought the 765s because I could choose my shafts, lie/loft angles and grips. With the 745s you get what it comes with, even if you can find a new set floating around somewhere.

Also, the length of how long any club stays in a WRXer's bag does not reflect on the club in any way :)

I'm standard across the board. My last 4 sets of irons all have Super Peening Blues put in them... Ultimately I went with the 765s over the 745s because I like the fact the muscle is a little more towards the toe; I liked my MP-68s a little better than my MP-69s. I think the 745s look a little better though. I would have really liked to see a head to head comparison, but it's all good.

TSR3 9° Tensei Black 65X
TSi2 15° ATX Green 75TX
917F 18° ATX Green 85X
ZipCore 50° Modus 120X

Nike Neo

ZStar

I'm standard across the board. My last 4 sets of irons all have Super Peening Blues put in them... Ultimately I went with the 765s over the 745s because I like the fact the muscle is a little more towards the toe; I liked my MP-68s a little better than my MP-69s. I think the 745s look a little better though. I would have really liked to see a head to head comparison, but it's all good.

Hope you are in a part of WA where you are able to actually play. We have a bunch of snow here in the lower mainland that won't wash away quick enough..

Callaway Rogue Max LS Driver, 9 degrees, Tensei Blue shaft

Mizuno ST180 5 wood

Ping G425 Max 7 wood
Srixon ZX4 4 iron
Srixon ZX5 irons 5-PW, Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 shafts

Cleveland RTX6 48* wedge

Cleveland Zipcore 54* wedge
Cleveland RTX 58* full face wedge
Nike Method Core Drone 2.0 putter 34"

Let me know what you think of the Z765. I've played the 825 Pros for the last 2 seasons and starting to feel the need to change. Looking at the Z765 or the Z745

If you are looking for 745's I may have a combo 545/745 (4 & 5 iron r 45's) with tour issue s400 shafts that I may be looking to move that r in really good shape.

Hope you are in a part of WA where you are able to actually play. We have a bunch of snow here in the lower mainland that won't wash away quick enough..

I live North of Seattle. Legion Memorial is pretty decent. They put several million into drainage about a decade ago. Chambers Bay is built on a sandpit so that always drains nice.

TSR3 9° Tensei Black 65X
TSi2 15° ATX Green 75TX
917F 18° ATX Green 85X
ZipCore 50° Modus 120X

Nike Neo

ZStar

Let me know what you think of the Z765. I've played the 825 Pros for the last 2 seasons and starting to feel the need to change. Looking at the Z765 or the Z745

If you are looking for 745's I may have a combo 545/745 (4 & 5 iron r 45's) with tour issue s400 shafts that I may be looking to move that r in really good shape.

Thanks for the offer, but looking at getting the Modus3 shafts if I purchase them.

I just got 565. one round. To me they are less chunky than the 545. Which is good. the soles seem an improvement for my swing, I am a picker. time will tell. the PW look way different from each other. 565 is more rounded. the soles look thinner on the 565. surprised that the online you tube reviews barely mention this, but what do you expect when they are always hitting off mats.!!

F9 driver
king LTD 3 wood
F6 hybrid. vts silver
Z565. recoil 95
Pur wedges
Piretti Matera

I have interest in these lines but weary of the jacked lofts...

Titleist TSR3 9* - Ventus TR Blue 6X

Taylormade Stealth 2 15* - Ventus TR Blue 8X

Callaway Apex UW 19* - Ventus TR Blue 8X

Titleist T200 4i - Axiom 105X

Titleist T100 5-PW KBS Tour 130X
Titleist Vokey SM9 Raw 50/56/60 - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Circle T Tour Rat Newport

2 degrees stronger in clubs 4-8 and 1 degree stronger in the 9...versus what I would call new standard spec (AP2/MP5, etc). I'm not saying this is bad or one is better than the other. Just wondering about making adjustments to normal tendencies if ordered stock and as is.

Titleist TSR3 9* - Ventus TR Blue 6X

Taylormade Stealth 2 15* - Ventus TR Blue 8X

Callaway Apex UW 19* - Ventus TR Blue 8X

Titleist T200 4i - Axiom 105X

Titleist T100 5-PW KBS Tour 130X
Titleist Vokey SM9 Raw 50/56/60 - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Circle T Tour Rat Newport

I get what you're saying g. I'm just a believer all loft and lies should be checked and then adjusted anyways.

G425 Max 10.5* Diamana S LTD

G425 Max 16.5* Diamana 75 FW 

G425 Max 19* MMT 80 

Srixon ZX UT 23* MMT 90

Srixon ZX5 5-AW MMT 105

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 54/58 MMT 105 SW

Ping Kushin 4

WITB

The progression in these lofts work really well. Coming from Mizuno to Srixon in the last 3 weeks the lofts were 1 degree stronger in all clubs except the PW and distance has actually went up with more consistent ball striking. Distance are pretty much the same depending on how you attack whichever club, ie, 8 iron can be 140-152 for me but works best when I get the 144-146 yardage with it. The progression more importantly has about a 10 yard gap in the set I'm using. I wouldn't let loft be a factor at all in the purchase of these clubs, as Russ757 mentioned lie is much more important to concern yourself with after shaft selection.

The progression in these lofts work really well. Coming from Mizuno to Srixon in the last 3 weeks the lofts were 1 degree stronger in all clubs except the PW and distance has actually went up with more consistent ball striking. Distance are pretty much the same depending on how you attack whichever club, ie, 8 iron can be 140-152 for me but works best when I get the 144-146 yardage with it. The progression more importantly has about a 10 yard gap in the set I'm using. I wouldn't let loft be a factor at all in the purchase of these clubs, as Russ757 mentioned lie is much more important to concern yourself with after shaft selection.

What mizzy did you use if I might ask? Currently using 59's ....realizing we are splitting hairs in the players level.

I'm also lefty so 745 is out.....looking z765 or psi tour...... I think....ugh