Srixon Z765 vs Z745 Irons

Fairways_and_Greens

The progression in these lofts work really well. Coming from Mizuno to Srixon in the last 3 weeks the lofts were 1 degree stronger in all clubs except the PW and distance has actually went up with more consistent ball striking. Distance are pretty much the same depending on how you attack whichever club, ie, 8 iron can be 140-152 for me but works best when I get the 144-146 yardage with it. The progression more importantly has about a 10 yard gap in the set I'm using. I wouldn't let loft be a factor at all in the purchase of these clubs, as Russ757 mentioned lie is much more important to concern yourself with after shaft selection.

What mizzy did you use if I might ask? Currently using 59's ....realizing we are splitting hairs in the players level.

I'm also lefty so 745 is out.....looking z765 or psi tour...... I think....ugh

H5's.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey mah - I might be interested in buying the 745/545 off of you. Can you let me know how much you want for them?

Thanks,

Omid

Let me know what you think of the Z765. I've played the 825 Pros for the last 2 seasons and starting to feel the need to change. Looking at the Z765 or the Z745

If you are looking for 745's I may have a combo 545/745 (4 & 5 iron r 45's) with tour issue s400 shafts that I may be looking to move that r in really good shape.

Where did you find these for 622 if you don't mind me asking?

The biggest reason peeps have moved on, a) they didnt work out for them which could have been a few reasons, loft/lie, shaft even grip. Who knows. The other reason was the dramatic price drop on the 45s. If you werent sure they would be your gamers, my guess is people started to dump them before the price dropped anymore.

Despite being quality products, similar to Cobra, Srixons just dont hold their value here. I sold my 745/945 set and grabbed a set of 765/965 and a set of mint Ztx 2s. I paid a little over $100 for those Srixons ($120ish). Just a silly deal.

Now to the question, as Ive said IMO and reiterating MO, if you hit them fairly center there is no reason to upgrade. The 65s are exceptionally sweet but only if you hit towards the toe.. where the mass was relocated. If you hit towards the heel, the 45s are where its at. Not saying either cant be hit in the other spot, but my shots tend to lean towards the toe and the extra mass, small as it is, has helped on those misses.

The soles, though they look different appear to do the same. The 45s are a bit chunkier, the 65s a bit leaner. Some said there was more offset in the 65s but I didnt notice anything. The 65s have bigger grooves, but im not good enough to notice 5%. Lastly, the 65s are rounded (my preference) 45s are squared, others preferences.

heres a pretty good run down.

http://www.golfalot....eview-3670.aspx

for the price one can find the 45s, and the guarantee the 65s will follow suit, id get the 45s now and wait for 65s after they drop.

oh... last thought, if you were gonna go combo then i would lean towards the 65s as they seem to flow better. Lots of comments were made about coudnt discern between 565 and 765 from address. The 45s, though still smooth, you could notice.

Thanks for the link Russ. I had a weak moment last night and ordered a 4-P in the Z765 for $622. I got them in the Modus 125. If I don't like them, I'll put in my Super Peening Blues to recoup some of the cost. I've been bouncing between my JPX-825 Pros and MP-69s. I think the Z765 will be a perfect mix and I could go back to one set...

Just recently picked up a set of used 745's 4-9 with a 945PW. They are +1" over with Modus 120x's in them. Haven't measured the lies yet but look to be at least +1" up. Hitting them pretty well and feel fantastic even though grips are too small. Pulled a grip off and they have 1/2" plugs in them to extend. Got me thinking and went to put them on a SW scale.....D8 for the 7iron!

Question is should I just stick my normal midsize grips on the set and play them? Not sure if the extensions matter much or even the swing weight but only other option is to order up a set of new 765's at more than double the cost so that Srixon can make them to standard D3 and no extensions.

Ping G425 10.5
Ping G25 15/18
Srixon ZX7 4-PW
Vokey SM6 Raw 50,54,58
Odyssey 11 Tour Lined CS
Srixon Z-Star

Just recently picked up a set of used 745's 4-9 with a 945PW. They are +1" over with Modus 120x's in them. Haven't measured the lies yet but look to be at least +1" up. Hitting them pretty well and feel fantastic even though grips are too small. Pulled a grip off and they have 1/2" plugs in them to extend. Got me thinking and went to put them on a SW scale.....D8 for the 7iron!

Question is should I just stick my normal midsize grips on the set and play them? Not sure if the extensions matter much or even the swing weight but only other option is to order up a set of new 765's at more than double the cost so that Srixon can make them to standard D3 and no extensions.

It's really no way anyone can answer your question but you. Some are very peculiar about their specifications while others don't seem to mind these minor differences. My opinion is the club should fit you not the other way around. Whenever I get a new set of irons or anything for that matter I spend about the first month making sure everything is to my desires (bending, cutting, adding, regripping, etc..... Wishing you good luck.

I have a feeling that if you remove the extensions and regrip,not sure what grips are on there now you will most likely return to d3 swing weight.

I switched out my Winn cord grips and put on some golf pride and swing weight went from d3 to d4,so type of grip can affect the swing weight a bit but pretty sure it's the inch extension that's causing the d8 swing weight.

I have both at the moment. Played my first round with the 65s today. The love affair has started. My misses tend to be on the toe so having the weight moved out probably helps. Even though it's only the first time out, I noticed that even when I hit the ball fat, I was still moving straight forward with decent distance. We'll see if that's coincidence in the long run but I like the Modus shafts better than the 950s I have in the 45s (and they're much better, IMO, than the stock DGs in the 45s). The V sole seems less pronounced but effective. If I was a better player, I could probably work the clubs but I did get spin on greens today, which is unusual for me. Again, may be coincidence so we'll see. I also like that you can get a matched gap wedge this time around but the jury's out on whether I stick with it or go back to my MD3 50/54 combo. My 45s were 1/2" longer but I am actually getting more distance with the 65s, even in the colder weather, so I hope that is a continuing trend; I attribute this more to the shaft change than anything else but it's still encouraging.

GBB Epic 9.0*
Srixon 17*
Taylormade M1 19*
Srixon U65 20*, 23*
Srixon Z765 5-PW
Callaway Mack Daddy Forged 50*, 54*
Taylormade Tour Spider

I have a feeling that if you remove the extensions and regrip,not sure what grips are on there now you will most likely return to d3 swing weight.

I switched out my Winn cord grips and put on some golf pride and swing weight went from d3 to d4,so type of grip can affect the swing weight a bit but pretty sure it's the inch extension that's causing the d8 swing weight.

Ping G425 10.5
Ping G25 15/18
Srixon ZX7 4-PW
Vokey SM6 Raw 50,54,58
Odyssey 11 Tour Lined CS
Srixon Z-Star

The biggest reason peeps have moved on, a) they didnt work out for them which could have been a few reasons, loft/lie, shaft even grip. Who knows. The other reason was the dramatic price drop on the 45s. If you werent sure they would be your gamers, my guess is people started to dump them before the price dropped anymore.

Despite being quality products, similar to Cobra, Srixons just dont hold their value here. I sold my 745/945 set and grabbed a set of 765/965 and a set of mint Ztx 2s. I paid a little over $100 for those Srixons ($120ish). Just a silly deal.

Now to the question, as Ive said IMO and reiterating MO, if you hit them fairly center there is no reason to upgrade. The 65s are exceptionally sweet but only if you hit towards the toe.. where the mass was relocated. If you hit towards the heel, the 45s are where its at. Not saying either cant be hit in the other spot, but my shots tend to lean towards the toe and the extra mass, small as it is, has helped on those misses.

The soles, though they look different appear to do the same. The 45s are a bit chunkier, the 65s a bit leaner. Some said there was more offset in the 65s but I didnt notice anything. The 65s have bigger grooves, but im not good enough to notice 5%. Lastly, the 65s are rounded (my preference) 45s are squared, others preferences.

heres a pretty good run down.

http://www.golfalot....eview-3670.aspx

for the price one can find the 45s, and the guarantee the 65s will follow suit, id get the 45s now and wait for 65s after they drop.

oh... last thought, if you were gonna go combo then i would lean towards the 65s as they seem to flow better. Lots of comments were made about coudnt discern between 565 and 765 from address. The 45s, though still smooth, you could notice.

Thanks for the link Russ. I had a weak moment last night and ordered a 4-P in the Z765 for $622. I got them in the Modus 125. If I don't like them, I'll put in my Super Peening Blues to recoup some of the cost. I've been bouncing between my JPX-825 Pros and MP-69s. I think the Z765 will be a perfect mix and I could go back to one set...

Where did you get it for so cheap?

• 4 weeks later...

I been playing the 745 last year and was very happy with them.My local golf store just got a set of 765 in with modus 125 shafts.I been playing Kbs tour shafts in my 745 but read the flight and spin were similar.I am getting a good price for my trade ins - new set so I am not looking at too much money to upgrade.

I am not even bothering to look at the flight data with the heads because I know they would be very similar.What I like about the 765 is they are a touch thinner,less pronounced v sole but mostly they look a touch longer blade length and the cavity backed weight seems to be placed more center on the back of the club.For me the 765 looks a bit more uniformed and the touch longer blade length visually adds to the look of forgiveness,if that all make sence I hope.

Tonight I will give the 2 shafts a comparison ,Kbs vs 125 modus and see which one I will order.My wedges have the Kbs shaft in them now so leaning a bit in that direction but I will know after a good comparison secession on flight scope.Middle of winter where I am.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks. I agree but do need the +1" over being 6'-5" tall. If I go to Srixkn direct and have them custom build hey can use lighter heads to get the SW down.

I would assume the midsize grips will bring the SW down a point or two but in addition to that, you could always order some counterweights from Billy Bob Golf or Hireko golf. They have steel plugs that fit perfectly in the butt end of the shafts and add essentially no length to the clubs. Very easy and inexpensive way to bring SW down.

Titleist TSR2 - TPT Nitro 16lo
Taylormade SIM Ti 3w - Tensei 1k Black 85tx
Taylormade SIM Ti 5w - Fujikura Ventus Black 9x

Cobra Tec Hybrid 2 - Kai'li 90tx

Cobra Tec Hybrid 4 - Aldila Tour Black 105tx
Srixon ZX5/ZX& Mkii 5-PW - Project X 6.5

Callaway Jaws Raw 50s, 54s, 58z - BGT ZNE 130

Putter - LAB something or another

I see a lot of responses noting that the 765's are the way to go if your miss is a toe-miss. While they may be slightly better than the 745's in this regard due to the mass location, that does not mean the 745s perform poorly on toe-hits.

In fact, my miss is a toe-miss and I get excellent performance on these strikes. This past Sunday I had an extremely poor strike on a sidehill lie - I was so far out on the toe I almost missed the grooves! I ended up only 10 yards short of my normal flushed shot - on the front left edge of the green. The ball flight was lower and I certainly felt the harsh feedback, but the results speak for themselves. I cannot belie the performance on misshits for a smaller forged players iron, these honestly perform better in that regard than my old AP1's.

Bottom line - I don't think you can go wrong either way. Even if your miss is a toe-miss, a good deal on a set of 745s should not be passed up!

Thanks. I agree but do need the +1" over being 6'-5" tall. If I go to Srixkn direct and have them custom build hey can use lighter heads to get the SW down.

I would assume the midsize grips will bring the SW down a point or two but in addition to that, you could always order some counterweights from Billy Bob Golf or Hireko golf. They have steel plugs that fit perfectly in the butt end of the shafts and add essentially no length to the clubs. Very easy and inexpensive way to bring SW down.

yep, midsize brought mine down from D3 to D1

I see a lot of responses noting that the 765's are the way to go if your miss is a toe-miss. While they may be slightly better than the 745's in this regard due to the mass location, that does not mean the 745s perform poorly on toe-hits.

In fact, my miss is a toe-miss and I get excellent performance on these strikes. This past Sunday I had an extremely poor strike on a sidehill lie - I was so far out on the toe I almost missed the grooves! I ended up only 10 yards short of my normal flushed shot - on the front left edge of the green. The ball flight was lower and I certainly felt the harsh feedback, but the results speak for themselves. I cannot belie the performance on misshits for a smaller forged players iron, these honestly perform better in that regard than my old AP1's.

Bottom line - I don't think you can go wrong either way. Even if your miss is a toe-miss, a good deal on a set of 745s should not be passed up!

Been hitting my 765 in simulators but still trying to ajust my contact spot with the face from the 745.My mis hits with the 765 seem to fly a bit straiter but distance seems to have been a bit better with my 745 by a couple yards.Hoping once I ajust the sweat spot contact and become more consistantly with the 765 I get back the couple yards.I do find the face length a touch longer with the 765 and I perfer the weighing more center on the face.Just need to get use to it.The 745 were pretty sweat when you hit the sweat spot.

Russ.. as always taking the lead on Srixon topics, thanks for the information.

Cadman, Looking at your signature and we have a very similar make up. I've got a U45 20* on order with that same shaft in yours. What is your thoughts on it? I was leaning towards just adding the 945 3 iron but went the U45 route instead. Curious to hear your thoughts. Thanks. Planning on it knocking out my 5 wood.

I know you did not ask me but I love both of mine. I hit the 2 more than the 4 though

PXG 0311 7.5* (set to 6.75*) w/ Mitsubishi Diamana DF 70TX Tipped 0.75" @ 45.25"

TM Original One Mini Driver 13* (set at 11.5*) w/ Mitsubishi Diamana BF 80TX Tipped 1.5" @ 43"
Srixon U45 18* w/ N.S. Pro Modus3 GOST Tour X @ 39.5"
Callaway UW 21* w/ Aldila VS Proto 95X Tipped 1.75" @ 41" / Srixon U45 23* w/ Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour X @ 38.5"

Cobra KING Tour with MIM w/ PX LS 7.0 5-PW / Srixon Z745 5-PW w/ DG TI X7's (PW Tipped 1/4")
Mizuno T22 Denim Copper 50*, 55* & 60* w/ PX LS 7.0 Tipped 3/8" D2, D3 & D5

Putter: Evnroll ER2v

• 1 year later...

My gamers for the last few seasons have been z745s w/ Modus 125 stiff shafts (4i-Pw) and I just pulled the trigger on z765 (4i-9i) and z965 (Pw) w/ PX LZ 6.5. I'm a fan of the rounded toe and I'm looking to reduce some vibration while increasing some spin on the irons (play low spin TP5x ball, great for the high flight, low spin drives, but want some added mid-iron spin for the rock hard greens I play).

I messed with the lofts and will re-address if the gapping isn't on, but seemed to have too wide of gaps in my low irons and too narrow in longer end of my irons.

4 1* WEAK (23*)

5-8 2* WEAK (26*, 30*, 34*, 38*, 42*)

9 1* WEAK (42*)

PW STD LOFT (46*)

I'll report back after I can receive them (week or two) and have good weather to truly compare them (could be three months, :scare2: ) . I cannot wait for the end of this winter so I can change my focus from messing with equipment to messing with my swing.

My gamers for the last few seasons have been z745s w/ Modus 125 stiff shafts (4i-Pw) and I just pulled the trigger on z765 (4i-9i) and z965 (Pw) w/ PX LZ 6.5. I'm a fan of the rounded toe and I'm looking to reduce some vibration while increasing some spin on the irons (play low spin TP5x ball, great for the high flight, low spin drives, but want some added mid-iron spin for the rock hard greens I play).

I messed with the lofts and will re-address if the gapping isn't on, but seemed to have too wide of gaps in my low irons and too narrow in longer end of my irons.

4 1* WEAK (23*)

5-8 2* WEAK (26*, 30*, 34*, 38*, 42*)

9 1* WEAK (42*)

PW STD LOFT (46*)

I'll report back after I can receive them (week or two) and have good weather to truly compare them (could be three months, :scare2: ) . I cannot wait for the end of this winter so I can change my focus from messing with equipment to messing with my swing.

Note: my z745s lofts are all stock.