#TheWRX: The EPIC Event at Callaway Golf. 8 Members are treated to TheWRX

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is kind of him HotRod. :-)

Here in the Boston area it's not Ft Worth like. A few winters ago we received 9 feet of snow...I felt like I was living in northern Canada with a very short golf season. The next year, not as much snow, but COLD. Same thing last year.

I can't complain though, I'm the idiot that chose to live here...well sorta...

I'm in northeastern Connecticut (on 395 south of Worcester). I feel your pain, bro!!

It was 80 today in ft Worth.

60 in Kansas City today - global warming has returned! Thank God.

Ping G430 Max with Ping Distanza or MP5 Ladies flex or Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue 45 in Senior

Ping G430 Five Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Seven Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Nine Wood Ping Distanza

Ping i230 5-PW Red Dot + 1"  Recoil Dart 105

Ping i230 Utility Wedge +1" Recoil Dart 105

Ping Glide 4.0 56 Degree ES Red Dot ZZ 115

Scotty Cameron Squareback 2.5 341/2"

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 35"

how are the forged wedges

[size=4][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][b]DRIVER[/b]- Callaway Rogue Oban Tour Limited 60s
[b]3 WOOD[/b]- GBB Epic Oban Kiyoshi Gold 75s
[b]HYBRID[/b]- Titleist 818 H1 19/23 Hybrid Atmos HB Tour Spec 85s
[b]IRONS[/b]- Srixon 765/565 Nippon Modus 105s
[b]GAP[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 52 Modus 105
[b]SAND[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 54 Modus 105
[b]LOB[/b]- Callaway MD3 Chrome 58 Modus 105
[b]PUTTER[/b]- Bettinardi Queen Bee #6
[b]BALL[/b]- Callaway Chrome Soft X[/font][/size]

cb5fad6b5b9513f56d9c42d253fb675f.jpg

A beautiful bag. If you don't mind, can you share a bit more on the wedge set up in terms of gaps, bounce, etc.? Is the 54 your standard wedge for a greenside bunker shot? Is the setup from your preferences or part of the overall recommendation from Cally based on your fitting? Sorry for so many questions.

My 60 is my standard wedge for greenside bunkers and rough. It is Roger Cleveland's C Grind. It really reminds me of my trust Taylormade Tour Preferred which I've had much success with. I don't manipulate the face a lot, open it up and such. We started the fitting with wedges from 40-80 yards and tested turf interaction and how the bounce affected flight. I'm not overly steep or shallow, so I probably could have made due with any of the grinds, but it was clear the C Grind flighted the ball how I wanted while not digging or bouncing. We took the MD3 C Grind and the new MD Forged C Grind to the short game green to test in greenside bunkers and rough. Out of the rough, they were was similar. Every ball out of the bunker with the MD3 C Grind was exactly what I envisioned, but the MD Forged C Grind seemed to dig with my swing and came out lower with less spin (it is a little more aggressive C Grind and straighter leading edge). Full swing = 85 yards.

grind-c-ml94rur8bvu8muey86msld9ner910zraxyk1cix8p0.jpg

I'll chip with my 54 and occasionally use it for pitching and longer bunker shots. But again, I don't manipulate it much. If I'm hitting a 54, it is almost always square. The S Grind was perfect for these uses. Full swing = 105 yards.

grind-s-ml94rur8bvu8muey86msld9ner910zraxyk1cix8p0.jpg

I don't chip or hit any greenside shots with my 50. If I need a lower running chip, I use my PW. So 50 is all about flighted wedges from 90-110 and fuller wedges from 110-120. So again, the full or S Grind was perfect. Full swing = 120 yards.

EDIT: My fitter and Roger Cleveland also educated me on the grooves used in the MD3 line; I didn't realize they were different and progressive.

A 3 groove package precision milled into the face of these wedges that optimizes spin as you go up in loft. It creates a smoother spin transition from your irons to wedges. The 30V grooves in the Pitching and Gap Wedges are built for shots that require a steep angle into the ball. The 20V grooves in the sand wedges are designed for full shots and bunker shots, and we put in wider 5V grooves in the lob wedges for better control for shots out of the rough and around the green.

MD3-s-grind-tech-shot-grooves-30V-ml94rlcufjhdeqslr2kiwfn1gwjcw0pzko16jrb6f8.jpgMD3-s-grind-tech-shot-grooves-20V-ml94rlcufjhdeqslr2kiwfn1gwjcw0pzko16jrb6f8.jpgMD3-s-grind-tech-shot-grooves-5V-ml94rlcufjhdeqslr2kiwfn1gwjcw0pzko16jrb6f8.jpg

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

I played virtual golf today with my new bag and a few of my friends that i play with in the "real world"....i showed them the driver but asked that they don't take pictures or post them anywhere since i signed an NDA

they made fun of me for like 3 solid hours

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I played virtual golf today with my new bag and a few of my friends that i play with in the "real world"....i showed them the driver but asked that they don't take pictures or post them anywhere since i signed an NDA

That's what good friends are for!

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
TaylorMade M2 Tour 18*, Fujikura Rombax P95x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x or Tour Issue or Titleist TSi2 21* (set to 20*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x
Cobra King RF Forged MB - 4-PW, KBS C-Taper 120 Stiff
Corey Paul 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

We made fun of you for 3 days. But we're all friends now.

I played golf with my dad yesterday and I made him look the other way every time I pulled the driver out. He was allowed to look down the fairway for the landing though. I told him to look a little further down than usual.

Very funny. "Real world" golf friends. They would and sometimes do love this place if they come around long enough to get the WRX bug.

As for making fun of you for 3 hours??? I eat the banter for breakfast! Yum,

Very funny. "Real world" golf friends. They would and sometimes do love this place if they come around long enough to get the WRX bug.

Actually, kind of funny that a topic of discussion for me with a few guys on the trip was how we "explained" the trip to our friends and family about how it all came about. My friends at my country club are actually big WRX fans, they know the site very well and know that i'm a member. I wear the GolfWRX hats a lot on the course. Our head pro is on the site a lot , many others lurk and they all know that i used to write for the site. So they were easy

But explaining the trip to my casual golf friends , and my work friends who are non-golfers....was....interesting. Their response was usually something along the lines of "So you're going to California with some people you met on the internet? Hmmmm, just text me when you get there so we know you haven't been murdered"....or "OK i get it, but why would they pick you, you're a nobody"

So i've actually been explaining what GolfWRX is these days to pretty much everyone, especially non-golfers.

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

We made fun of you for 3 days. But we're all friends now.

I played golf with my dad yesterday and I made him look the other way every time I pulled the driver out. He was allowed to look down the fairway for the landing though. I told him to look a little further down than usual.

Just do it on the group texts which i can't take part in LOL.

I did give you guys a lot of material in those 3 days. At least now i know not to have a few beers if our bus will be caught in traffic for 3 hours.

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

That is kind of him HotRod. :-)

Here in the Boston area it's not Ft Worth like. A few winters ago we received 9 feet of snow...I felt like I was living in northern Canada with a very short golf season. The next year, not as much snow, but COLD. Same thing last year.

I can't complain though, I'm the idiot that chose to live here...well sorta...

I'm in northeastern Connecticut (on 395 south of Worcester). I feel your pain, bro!!

I enjoy playing Connecticut National on occasion. :-)

Actually, kind of funny that a topic of discussion for me with a few guys on the trip was how we "explained" the trip to our friends and family about how it all came about. My friends at my country club are actually big WRX fans, they know the site very well and know that i'm a member. I wear the GolfWRX hats a lot on the course. Our head pro is on the site a lot , many others lurk and they all know that i used to write for the site. So they were easy

But explaining the trip to my casual golf friends , and my work friends who are non-golfers....was....interesting. Their response was usually something along the lines of "So you're going to California with some people you met on the internet? Hmmmm, just text me when you get there so we know you haven't been murdered"....or "OK i get it, but why would they pick you, you're a nobody"

So i've actually been explaining what GolfWRX is these days to pretty much everyone, especially non-golfers.

I received that too Jeff...and they weren't even Canadian. As well as defining GolfWRX.

cb5fad6b5b9513f56d9c42d253fb675f.jpg

A beautiful bag. If you don't mind, can you share a bit more on the wedge set up in terms of gaps, bounce, etc.? Is the 54 your standard wedge for a greenside bunker shot? Is the setup from your preferences or part of the overall recommendation from Cally based on your fitting? Sorry for so many questions.

My 60 is my standard wedge for greenside bunkers and rough. It is Roger Cleveland's C Grind. It really reminds me of my trust Taylormade Tour Preferred which I've had much success with. I don't manipulate the face a lot, open it up and such. We started the fitting with wedges from 40-80 yards and tested turf interaction and how the bounce affected flight. I'm not overly steep or shallow, so I probably could have made due with any of the grinds, but it was clear the C Grind flighted the ball how I wanted while not digging or bouncing. We took the MD3 C Grind and the new MD Forged C Grind to the short game green to test in greenside bunkers and rough. Out of the rough, they were was similar. Every ball out of the bunker with the MD3 C Grind was exactly what I envisioned, but the MD Forged C Grind seemed to dig with my swing and came out lower with less spin (it is a little more aggressive C Grind and straighter leading edge). Full swing = 85 yards.

grind-c-ml94rur8bvu8muey86msld9ner910zraxyk1cix8p0.jpg

I'll chip with my 54 and occasionally use it for pitching and longer bunker shots. But again, I don't manipulate it much. If I'm hitting a 54, it is almost always square. The S Grind was perfect for these uses. Full swing = 105 yards.

grind-s-ml94rur8bvu8muey86msld9ner910zraxyk1cix8p0.jpg

I don't chip or hit any greenside shots with my 50. If I need a lower running chip, I use my PW. So 50 is all about flighted wedges from 90-110 and fuller wedges from 110-120. So again, the full or S Grind was perfect. Full swing = 120 yards.

EDIT: My fitter and Roger Cleveland also educated me on the grooves used in the MD3 line; I didn't realize they were different and progressive.

A 3 groove package precision milled into the face of these wedges that optimizes spin as you go up in loft. It creates a smoother spin transition from your irons to wedges. The 30V grooves in the Pitching and Gap Wedges are built for shots that require a steep angle into the ball. The 20V grooves in the sand wedges are designed for full shots and bunker shots, and we put in wider 5V grooves in the lob wedges for better control for shots out of the rough and around the green.

MD3-s-grind-tech-shot-grooves-30V-ml94rlcufjhdeqslr2kiwfn1gwjcw0pzko16jrb6f8.jpgMD3-s-grind-tech-shot-grooves-20V-ml94rlcufjhdeqslr2kiwfn1gwjcw0pzko16jrb6f8.jpgMD3-s-grind-tech-shot-grooves-5V-ml94rlcufjhdeqslr2kiwfn1gwjcw0pzko16jrb6f8.jpg

Great stuff Matt! I love the way you write - as an ol' English major/teacher I have a lot of appreciation for how you express yourself and how efficiently you state your case and get your intended message across in such great detail and without being overly wordy (borderline run on sentence there!). Your job obviously requires a pretty high level of literacy. OK, enough of that crap.

Reading your comments regarding grooves and checking out the Callaway imagery and explanation, I couldn't help but think back to the Ping groove controversy and resulting lawsuits. How in the name of golf is this stuff legal but Ping's square/box grooves weren't/aren't! It all just seems to fly in the face of logic not to mention physics. Where are Tom Watson and the rest of the "groove police" these days screaming about how technology is ruining the game and making shots from the rough too easy? Nowadays, every company boasts about their latest groove innovations and how they're revolutionizing the game from middle irons to lob wedges!

OK, end of rant - it just kind of jumped out at me and I had to get it off my chest!

Thanks again for all the time and effort that you put into your posts. They're easily among the most succinct and informative on the forum. And, congratulations on the trip and overall experience - you've earned it. All the best man and keep up the good work.

Ping G430 Max with Ping Distanza or MP5 Ladies flex or Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue 45 in Senior

Ping G430 Five Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Seven Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Nine Wood Ping Distanza

Ping i230 5-PW Red Dot + 1"  Recoil Dart 105

Ping i230 Utility Wedge +1" Recoil Dart 105

Ping Glide 4.0 56 Degree ES Red Dot ZZ 115

Scotty Cameron Squareback 2.5 341/2"

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 35"

All the bags look great ! Hopefully the weather is nice enough for everyone to play a little over the winter

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

Uh-oh, somebody ragging on your pace of play in 3-2-1 ..... ?

My wife thought it was "cute" and my daughters were proud but surprised to say the least I played golf with "internet friends" this past season (I can be a little anti meeting new people I guess). Clinics they get but meeting a wrxer and embarking on 18 holes in semi-drizzly conditions late April in Chicago (thanks DP4!) had them thinking I'd gone bonkers. It's not like I went to Canada! ?

Great stuff Matt! I love the way you write - as an ol' English major/teacher I have a lot of appreciation for how you express yourself and how efficiently you state your case and get your intended message across in such great detail and without being overly wordy (borderline run on sentence there!). Your job obviously requires a pretty high level of literacy. OK, enough of that crap.

Reading your comments regarding grooves and checking out the Callaway imagery and explanation, I couldn't help but think back to the Ping groove controversy and resulting lawsuits. How in the name of golf is this stuff legal but Ping's square/box grooves weren't/aren't! It all just seems to fly in the face of logic not to mention physics. Where are Tom Watson and the rest of the "groove police" these days screaming about how technology is ruining the game and making shots from the rough too easy? Nowadays, every company boasts about their latest groove innovations and how they're revolutionizing the game from middle irons to lob wedges!

OK, end of rant - it just kind of jumped out at me and I had to get it off my chest!

Thanks again for all the time and effort that you put into your posts. They're easily among the most succinct and informative on the forum. And, congratulations on the trip and overall experience - you've earned it. All the best man and keep up the good work.

Thank you for the kind words, Vernon. We were incredibly fortunate to take part in this Callaway experience; I want to be as responsive, honest, and objective as possible. And GolfWRX reviews and Q&A are much more fun to write than pleadings and discovery responses! :lol:

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

I was hoping I could get some insight from one you fine folks that have hit last years Callaway offerings. Specifically the 816 DBD. If there are any numbers to compare, that's all the better.

Thanks!

Cobra LTDx LS 10.5* w/Kai'Li 70TX
Ping G430 Max 15* w/OG Ventus Blue 7X
Titleist TSR2 7w w/Ventus Red TR 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Bettinardi BB1 w/UST Mamiya All-In Graphite 
Mizuno Copper T22 52, 56, 60 w/MCA MMT 125TX Wedge Shafts
TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

you have to be on wrx, to understand the people on wrx

[size=4][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][b]DRIVER[/b]- Callaway Rogue Oban Tour Limited 60s

you have to be on wrx, to understand the people on wrx

It's a WRX thing. You wouldn't understand. New motto.

i like it, post that somewhere

If I missed it I'm sorry. Are you guys only able to post pics of the Epic line, and everything once it's officially released?

rymail00 2018 WITB [i][b] [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1605910-rymail00-2018-witb-pic-heavy/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...witb-pic-heavy/[/url][/b][/i]

[size=3]TM M1 430 8.5* Tour Issue w/ Tensei CK Pro White 70s (with high gloss SLDR finish from Continental Golf)
Titleist 917 F3 15* D+ 80s
Titleist 915H 21* D+ 90s
Titleist 915H 24* D+ 90s
Titleist AP2 718, 5-50* Steelfiber i95s
Scratch TD DW 54* 58* KBS HiRev
Odyssey Metal X Milled 330M (current gamer) [/size]
[size=3]Ping Scottsdale TR B60[/size]
[size=3]TP Mills Heritage 349g [/size]
[size=3]Byron Morgan 006 355g [/size]
[size=3]Byron Morgan Makers Proof #4/5 solid copper [/size]
[size=3]C&L CL1 368g[/size]
Scotty Cameron Newport Studio Style

If I missed it I'm sorry. Are you guys only able to post pics of the Epic line, and everything once it's officially released?

Wedges are out.

Putters and driver are soon. I can't remember the actual dates.

Driver this week

Putter end of month.

Twitter: @itsnotgriffin
Site: [url="http://www.thebottomgroove.com/"]www.thebottomgroove.com[/url]

WITB:
Callaway Big Bertha Epic 10.5
Callaway BBA 5 Wood
Callaway XR 7 Wood - Frankenstyle
Apex Hybrid 23deg
Apex Pro 5i-PW
MD3 52, 56 W-Grind
MD3 60 PM Grind
Odyssey O-Works - #1/3T (putter commitment issues)

After hearing all the feedback from this trip and some others I'm looking forward to getting properly fit into the Epic. Here I am stuck in outdated tech with my M2 :( lol

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

After hearing all the feedback from this trip and some others I'm looking forward to getting properly fit into the Epic. Here I am stuck in outdated tech with my M2 :( lol

I'm interested to see how it goes for you.

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Tensei AV Raw White 65X

PXG Gen 6 0311 15* - Aldila Tour Blue 75X

PXG  Gen 5 0311 19* - Aldila Tour Blue 85X

PXG 0311T Gen 5 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

A question on the putters.

You can see there are what looks to be removable plugs/weights on the sole. Can you adjust head weight? If no weight kit, can you order it with heavier weights?

If I can't get it to at least 380-385, no sense in getting all excited about it.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T150 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Toulon Portland Garage 
ProV1x