2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Colorado WRX 2017

brianhorne8

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends on how much snow we actually get. They are calling for anywhere from 5"-11" on Tuesday & Wednesday. I hope they are wrong...

Mizuno JPX900 EvoIII S (weights center channel port 1 & 2)
Mizuno GT190 Atmos Blue 6S
Mizuno CLK 19* Speeder EVO HB S
Titleist 4i AMT S300
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5-G KBS Tour
Mizuno S18 54.8/58.8
Carbon Ringo 1/4
Balls : 2017 ProV1x / KSig / Vice Pro+

Got out and played Ute Creek for the first time on Sunday. I've never played a round of New Year's Day golf.

StLyUhH.jpg

Got way chillier once the sun went behind clouds. Had to layer up with a hoodie under my jacket at the turn. Was testing out a couple new shafts in my driver, and hit a very good amount of fairways. But with the frozen greens, everything bounced and ran off the back. Only hit ONE GIR all day (and ended up 3 putting to boot). So needless to say, my score was laughable. But I really liked the course layout and will definitely have to go back in the spring/summer.

Got out and played Ute Creek for the first time on Sunday. I've never played a round of New Year's Day golf.

StLyUhH.jpg

Got way chillier once the sun went behind clouds. Had to layer up with a hoodie under my jacket at the turn. Was testing out a couple new shafts in my driver, and hit a very good amount of fairways. But with the frozen greens, everything bounced and ran off the back. Only hit ONE GIR all day (and ended up 3 putting to boot). So needless to say, my score was laughable. But I really liked the course layout and will definitely have to go back in the spring/summer.

We take what we can get at this time of year. What driver/shaft combo did you end up liking most?

I just used my standard Tour AD MT-6 for the front 9, with a new grip I put on it. Averaged 266 yards and hit 3 out of 7 fairways.

Switched it out with a Fujikura Pro 53. A bit lighter, and had quite a bit lower launch to it. Averaged 273 yards, and I hit 4 out of 6 fairways, with one of the misses running through instead of right/left.

Even though the Fujikura performed better...I like a higher ball flight. Which is stupid and 100% cosmetic/aesthetic based.

I still have a few more shafts to throw in there and try out. Recently went on a buying spree and picked up 5 shafts, in different weights. Plan on chopping at least one down quite a bit for a shorter shaft. Lots of fun!

I actually got to play twice in Orange County over the holidays. It's a 27-hole retirement community golf club where the two longest nines stretch to an intimidating 6011 yds from the tips. Undaunted, I shot a smooth ... 92 and 84. I couldn't keep any club in the fairway, and I paid the price. The greens were also tiny and insanely fast.

Of course, the best part was just being able to spend a few hours with my dad. I hadn't played golf with him in years.

The second best part was that the pro shop was selling brand new Ping Glide wedges for $49 each. I can't even find them used on eBay at that price. I picked up a 56 SS and 60 SS for $98. Steal of the year.

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Titleist Vokey SM2 Red Saw 60° (to be retired)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot) (soon)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

The second best part was that the pro shop was selling brand new Ping Glide wedges for $49 each. I can't even find them used on eBay at that price. I picked up a 56 SS and 60 SS for $98. Steal of the year.

You WHAT?! *drool*

Now I'm just jealous.

Glad some of you all got to get out and play. I played a round at Sunset in Longmont, which I've been playing a lot lately. Love the price of that place.

We almost went out to play Ute, though. Might've caught you there! :D

StLyUhH.jpg

18 looks pretty bad there. You will for sure have to go back when it is green... Tough hole. I play there often...

Just the original Game Golf that's like 4-5 years old.

So I have to tag everything on the course, plug it into my computer at home and upload it, then edit any wrong tags on there.

Also, those green lines are in no way my ball flight. My drive was a major pull fade, started off left of that fairway bunker and came back around to the ride side of the fairway.

Just gonna go out on a limb and say I think any golf this weekend is highly unlikely.

I wish there was warm weather within driving distance. If Phoenix/Scottsdale was only like...8 hours away, I'd totally do it.

Round trip flights to Phoenix are only $75 a lot of times...

Just gonna go out on a limb and say I think any golf this weekend is highly unlikely.

I wish there was warm weather within driving distance. If Phoenix/Scottsdale was only like...8 hours away, I'd totally do it.

Flying to Phoenix sat morn

:]

Where are you playing?

This weekend is definitely out. However, next week looks really nice for melting and the forecast for next weekend looks great. How about a group?

Just got back on Tuesday from 10 days in New Smyrna Beach, FL. My wife wanted me to spend time with my In-laws so I only got 6 rounds in. The difference in the grass down there (being all Bermuda) always blows me away. I also realized why I always hear "he's got an 18 footer here and it looks to be a ball outside the cup" which we NEVER get in CO. One more thing, holy !@#%@# was golf cheap down there!

Flights are cheap, Brian is right. Cheap enough that it's worth a long weekend once a winter.

This weekend is definitely out. However, next week looks really nice for melting and the forecast for next weekend looks great. How about a group?

Just got back on Tuesday from 10 days in New Smyrna Beach, FL. My wife wanted me to spend time with my In-laws so I only got 6 rounds in. The difference in the grass down there (being all Bermuda) always blows me away. I also realized why I always hear "he's got an 18 footer here and it looks to be a ball outside the cup" which we NEVER get in CO. One more thing, holy !@#%@# was golf cheap down there!

Flights are cheap, Brian is right. Cheap enough that it's worth a long weekend once a winter.

We were in AZ for TEN DAYS and I only played twice. I couldn't do more because my in-laws would (incorrectly) think I was avoiding them.

Wish I could do the group next week, but I leave for California for a month. Hoping I can play even a single day I'm out there.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to throw in the annual plug for the golf league I am in.

If you sign up before 1/31, you will receive two entries into the Masters foursome pool. Winner of the pool gets a free non-major round of golf.

I literally only have time to golf when I commit to an FRGC tournament (7-9 rounds a year). The league allows me to play a variety of courses in a relaxed, but competitive format.

Website is in my signature. If you do decide to join, please PM me for referral information. I get a free round of golf, and I'm happy to buy you lunch and a beer. If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me.

Just wanted to throw in the annual plug for the golf league I am in.

If you sign up before 1/31, you will receive two entries into the Masters foursome pool. Winner of the pool gets a free non-major round of golf.

I literally only have time to golf when I commit to an FRGC tournament (7-9 rounds a year). The league allows me to play a variety of courses in a relaxed, but competitive format.

Website is in my signature. If you do decide to join, please PM me for referral information. I get a free round of golf, and I'm happy to buy you lunch and a beer. If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me.

Not sure if this is the year I do FRGC, but you got the wheels turning again from last year.

Have they posted the schedule for 2017 yet? I don't see it on the website, though I may be looking in the wrong place.

I'm also considering joining the men's club at South Suburban or the Links since they're right next to my house. Does anyone have any experience with those clubs? I know the Links is an executive course, but that doesn't bother me since it would really help me improve on my iron and short game, not to mention we would get done quicker.

Edit: only reason I ask about the schedule is I have swim team for my kids, and a long vacation planned. I want to make sure I can take advantage of the club to make it worth it.

Cobra LTDx LS - Oban Kiyoshi HB-65
Cobra F8 4w - Tour AD IZ-7s
Cobra 4h - SmacWrap 780 ES x
Cobra Forged Tec Black - AMT x100
Titleist Vokey 50/54/58 SM9
Edel E-1

The schedule is not out yet. Usually comes out in early March. They are currently taking votes as to which courses members want to see put on the schedule--strong push to get Plum Creek on the schedule this year. Given a lot of FRGC members also play in Club Corp's MGA, they try to avoid scheduling tournaments the same weekend as Club Corp's bigger MGA events. I miss about 65% of the tournaments due to kids' activities as well as going to Europe for a month in the summer.

I've heard South Suburban's men's club is pretty competitive. They seem to represent pretty well at CGA team events.

seven dewey is a member of The Links' MGA, and he loves it. Maybe throw a PM to him to get better info. I'll also bug him on Google Hangouts to post here.

The schedule is not out yet. Usually comes out in early March. They are currently taking votes as to which courses members want to see put on the schedule--strong push to get Plum Creek on the schedule this year. Given a lot of FRGC members also play in Club Corp's MGA, they try to avoid scheduling tournaments the same weekend as Club Corp's bigger MGA events. I miss about 65% of the tournaments due to kids' activities as well as going to Europe for a month in the summer.

I've heard South Suburban's men's club is pretty competitive. They seem to represent pretty well at CGA team events.

seven dewey is a member of The Links' MGA, and he loves it. Maybe throw a PM to him to get better info. I'll also bug him on Google Hangouts to post here.

I played an inter club match for Murphy Creek against South Suburban last season. I wouldn't get anywhere near that men's club based on my experience.