Apple Watch for Golf

How did your phone batter hold up? That's a lot of gps

Driver: Ping G410 LST (Diamana ZF)
5w:  Titleist TS2 (Ventus Blue)
3H: Titleist 818 H2 (Ventus Blue HB)
or 3i: Cobra King Utility 21* (Tour AD DI)
4-P: PXG 0311T (KBS $-Taper)
Wedges: 51* Edel TRP, 55* Edel DVR, 60* Cally MD5
Putter: PXG Mini Gunboat H

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does your AW2 survive a whole round on battery?

Reports were that without the phone it would not survive an entire round

played 27 holes yesterday with my AW (not AW2) and mine lasted all day. from 8am - 9pm and it still had about 45% battery left. although mine is without GPS so that obviously doesn't help your question. haha

Also have the original watch. I've never had an issue with battery life. Typically I'll have 20-30% left when I put it on the charger before bed.

I'm pretty sure the AW2 is still relying heavily on the phone. It needs to download distances, hole images, etc.

How did your phone batter hold up? That's a lot of gps

phone battery was fine. never an issue when i use that app for golf with or without the watch.

915D2 Rogue Silver 60S
915F Rogue Black 80S
915H Rogue Black 85S
712u 4i Recoil F4 110
714 AP2 5-PW Nippon Modus3 Tour 105x
SM6 51.08F | 56.08M | 60.10S
Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec 33/350G
restoration on my Mil-Spec

• 2 weeks later...

I have the AW2 and recently downloaded Hole 19 (haven't had a chance to play round with it yet) so I've been lurking in some forums on the watch as it relates to golf. My question for these apps getting suggested: are any of them actually taking GPS from the watch or is it still the phone? A majority of the posts I've seen have people indicating it's still pulling off the phone instead. Anyone have any experience with this?

I'd assume the app would automatically pull the gps from the watch. I don't have the AW2 so not sure how exactly it works but would think it would since with the AW1 you need to be close to your phone and it uses the phones GPS for yardage which sometimes defeats the purpose of using the watch while you have your phone.

I have the AW2 and it uses the watch's GPS... not the phone with most of these apps...

What band do you guys like the most? I'm kinda digging the white Nike band - but am afraid it'll get dirty quite quickly. Especially once summer rolls back around and I start sweating

I have the Nike Edition... that sport band is great (in the black and silver) breathes plenty with all of the holes.

I have the Nike edition as well but I haven't used it on the course. How is the battery on it for playing 19 holes?

Which app do you like the best?

have used the hole19 for 140ish rounds. For the price (free) it's the best one I've found. I can't speak to the paid apps but I've found the functionality limited when using others. I couldn't get golfnow's gps/scoring system to work but it looked promising with the info to the hazards as well.

that being said, I love my aw for gps use. highly recommend as it's easier to read and set up for the course imo than using a single function gps watch.

I don't know how much data I use, but the aw does use the gps from your phone. I'm not sure if it uses the cellular data or not. I thought I read somewhere a while back that they are two different things. so may not use data. I'm going to try it out next time I play.

does this use cellular data during the round? unfortunately i no longer have unlimited data>

I reset my cellular data shown on each app every phone cycle. I played 18 today and always have the Golfshot GPS on. also had it on my watch while I played. used only 15.1MB. literally nothing. you should have zero issues with the app killing your data plan.

915D2 Rogue Silver 60S
915F Rogue Black 80S
915H Rogue Black 85S
712u 4i Recoil F4 110
714 AP2 5-PW Nippon Modus3 Tour 105x
SM6 51.08F | 56.08M | 60.10S
Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec 33/350G
restoration on my Mil-Spec

Just picked up an Apple Watch (Ver 1) and excited to use it for golf. I will be using Hole 19 since I like that app on my phone. Can't wait.

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

Just picked up an Apple Watch (Ver 1) and excited to use it for golf. I will be using Hole 19 since I like that app on my phone. Can't wait.

Wouldn't it be the same as using the phone since version 1 uses the GPS from the phone?

I guess, I think I just won't have to keep taking my phone out before every shot. I guess that's how it will work....

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

Bump to get input on AW2 users to see if the watch survives 18 holes with the GPS running.

Ping G430 10K w/ Black Tour 2.0 65X, 75X, or GDBB 6X

Ping G425 LST 3W Atmos Black 7X

Ping iCrossover 2 Atmos Black 9X or G425 5W GDBB8X/Atmos Black 8X or G425 2H Atmos Black HB 9X 

Ping iCrossover 3 (20º) AMT White S300 or ZZ65 or Atmos Black 9X

Ping i230 4-6 green dot, Blueprint S 7, Blueprint T 8, 9  AMT White S300

Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 46ºSS, 50º SS, 54º ES, 58º ES TI S400

Putter - depends on the phase of the moon

Caddy - Snacks the Wheaten

I have had my AWS2 fora few months, I usually use a lazer anytime I play but I wanted a native or stand alone GPS app for the S2. I didn't want an app that I had to run through my phone as usually the phone yardage is the yardage you get and you might be 10 yards from your phone and want an accurate number. Or if you hit one in the trees and your phone is in the cart, who is going to go get it and mess with all of that. Not to mention draining my phone battery and so forth. I was told the fungolf GPS app would work native or without the phone. To find out I downloaded it and payd the $5 or whatever it was and downloaded my course and went to play. The app worked great on my AW and I shut the phone bluetooth off on the first hole and my watch carried right on and gave me good yardages all day. I was happy. I will pay $20 for it for a year as well, I just like the option when my lazer isn't close.

Anyone wanting a stand alone gps that uses the watches gps go try fun golf.

Bump to get input on AW2 users to see if the watch survives 18 holes with the GPS running.

Using FunGolf I easily get 18 holes in with about 85% left on iPhone and ~75% on the AW2. I play early so 18 holes takes about 3 1/2 hours.

have used the hole19 for 140ish rounds. For the price (free) it's the best one I've found. I can't speak to the paid apps but I've found the functionality limited when using others. I couldn't get golfnow's gps/scoring system to work but it looked promising with the info to the hazards as well.

that being said, I love my aw for gps use. highly recommend as it's easier to read and set up for the course imo than using a single function gps watch.

I don't know how much data I use, but the aw does use the gps from your phone. I'm not sure if it uses the cellular data or not. I thought I read somewhere a while back that they are two different things. so may not use data. I'm going to try it out next time I play.

I was using SwingxSwing before apple watch, then started using Hole 19. I have an apple watch now and used it for 2 rounds. Great app!

Interesting that there are so many Hole19 users in here.

When searching YouTube for "Apple Watch Golf Review" it seems the only thing that pops up is an app called "Track My Golf".

I have the premium version of GolfShot on my iPhone, so if/when I get an Apple Watch 2, I'll just use that app as well.

And I thought all apps pull the GPS from the phone itself? I thought Apple closed off access to the GPS function of the watch from all 3rd party apps? It's only used for official Apple applications.

Also, to those of you complaining about the phone GPS being 10 yards off...WALK MORE! Simple. Keep your phone in your bag. Walk the course. Set your bag parallel with your ball. Will give you the same distance. :)

My buddy uses his Apple watch for his golf GPS with mixed results. In a comparison with the Bushnell Neo Ion watch and Bushnell ghost the yardage often varies 3-10 yards. That is probably not a big deal for most but that is enough of a discrepancy to bother me.

Somehow it always devolves into my buddy effing around with his phone but that is probably a user issue. I expect the newer version of the watch to work better for golf and im interested to see some results and comparisons.

My thoughts are that the Apple watch is better than dropping four bills on an S6 but not better than the cheaper and very reliable Bushnell products.

Taylormade Sim 2 9.0 Project X Hzrdus Blue 60G | Mizuno JPX 919 Forged on KBS T120 | Cobra FlyZ 3W | Cobra FlyZ 5h | Bettinardi Studio Stock 2 Olympic Bronze | Vice Pro |

I bought the AWS2 for Golf and learned quickly that there are just no good apps for it. I just use it mostly for talking to my wife if she is texting me or answering any other texts. I got the SkyCaddie SGX on a trade deal from someone else and been using that. For the fullly professionally mapped courses, it's great. I haven't played a non-mapped course yet but I can't imagine it's that amazing, haha.

Using FunGolf I easily get 18 holes in with about 85% left on iPhone and ~75% on the AW2. I play early so 18 holes takes about 3 1/2 hours.

Thank you for the feedback!

If anyone else has some insight on the AW2 battery life during an 18 hole round, it's appreciated!

Ping G430 10K w/ Black Tour 2.0 65X, 75X, or GDBB 6X

Ping G425 LST 3W Atmos Black 7X

Ping iCrossover 2 Atmos Black 9X or G425 5W GDBB8X/Atmos Black 8X or G425 2H Atmos Black HB 9X 

Ping iCrossover 3 (20º) AMT White S300 or ZZ65 or Atmos Black 9X

Ping i230 4-6 green dot, Blueprint S 7, Blueprint T 8, 9  AMT White S300

Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 46ºSS, 50º SS, 54º ES, 58º ES TI S400

Putter - depends on the phase of the moon

Caddy - Snacks the Wheaten

Thank you for the feedback!

If anyone else has some insight on the AW2 battery life during an 18 hole round, it's appreciated!

As most GPS apps for the apple watch only work when the watch is paired with the iPhone the battery usage is not that heigh (as the Phone does the GPS and not the watch in this case). I haven't tried to play without the phone (I've tried this weekend as I forgot my phone at home but for starting the round you still need it paired with the iPhone unfortunately [FunGolf most other apps will require it throughout]).

I have an AW2 and iPhone 7. Tried Hole19 for the first time this weekend. On the whole I thought it was pretty good.

It's a little slow to adjust to the correct yardage, but accuracy seemed pretty good compared to lasering distances. I also changed the orientation so the crown was on the left and it felt fine (I don't normally play with a watch on).

I played first thing in the morning so phone and AW2 started at 100%. After the round phone was 95% and AW2 90%.

I'll try it again against my Skycaddie SGX, but given the annual fee, I think the SGX will not be getting renewed next time around.

TM M1 2017 9.5° w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0
Titleist 917f2 or TM M1 2017 both 15° w/ Fujikura Pro84 stiff
Titleist 816H1 18 w/ speeder 9.8 tour spec stiff.
Bridgestone j15 w/ KBS Tour V X soft-stepped
Vokey SM6 50/54/58
Scotty Cameron Futura 5.5m
Bridgestone Mini Staff bag

• 1 month later...

Used the Apple Watch today while playing for the first time. Siri came on roughly 5 times, tried to call emergency services twice, stopped updating yardages twice. Even with all those problems I enjoyed using it with the Hole19 app. Really wish the Siri and Emergency services weren't an issue but my glove kept pushing and holding the dial.

Yardage wise it was very close to my laser and would be satisfactory in regards to accuracy at the course I played today

Driver: Ping G410 LST (Diamana ZF)
5w:  Titleist TS2 (Ventus Blue)
3H: Titleist 818 H2 (Ventus Blue HB)
or 3i: Cobra King Utility 21* (Tour AD DI)
4-P: PXG 0311T (KBS $-Taper)
Wedges: 51* Edel TRP, 55* Edel DVR, 60* Cally MD5
Putter: PXG Mini Gunboat H

Used the Apple Watch today while playing for the first time. Siri came on roughly 5 times, tried to call emergency services twice, stopped updating yardages twice. Even with all those problems I enjoyed using it with the Hole19 app. Really wish the Siri and Emergency services weren't an issue but my glove kept pushing and holding the dial.

Yardage wise it was very close to my laser and would be satisfactory in regards to accuracy at the course I played today

try switching the dial orientation in settings and have the dial pointing to your shoulder rather than your hand. I have no problems with mine. I also would recommend switching off the screen capture on the watch so that you don't have random pics on your phone.

I love using my aw but for those saying it's as accurate as a laser...I say no way. distance to f/m/b of green sure, very accurate. to the pin? no way. but knowing f/m/b is good enough for me...chances are I'm not hitting the flag from a distance I need to know a distance for. lol

btw: I had the same problem as you before, and I found that I was cupping my lead wrist on the backswing. so the aw also helped me improve my swing...blessing in disguise.

try switching the dial orientation in settings and have the dial pointing to your shoulder rather than your hand. I have no problems with mine. I also would recommend switching off the screen capture on the watch so that you don't have random pics on your phone.

I love using my aw but for those saying it's as accurate as a laser...I say no way. distance to f/m/b of green sure, very accurate. to the pin? no way. but knowing f/m/b is good enough for me...chances are I'm not hitting the flag from a distance I need to know a distance for. lol

btw: I had the same problem as you before, and I found that I was cupping my lead wrist on the backswing. so the aw also helped me improve my swing...blessing in disguise.

Do you mind telling me application you are using? I am very close to pulling the trigger on fun golf heard some great things.

Do you mind telling me application you are using? I am very close to pulling the trigger on fun golf heard some great things.

hole19. getting close to 200 rounds (some 9 hole rounds) on it. I love it. does everything I need it for and more. I've found errors and emailed them and they get corrected withing 24-48 hours of receipt. so also great cust. service.

I feel like a shill for them, but I really do like that app - especially since it's free.

Has anyone compared Golfshot to Hole19 on the apple watch?

I currently have a golfshot plus account and I have ordered an apple watch today. From what I seem to have read so far Hole19 seems to be always recommended as the best GPS app

I have tried both. IMO, Hole 19 is the way to go. First, it is free! B, Very nice features and yardages are good, 3, it's free. Seriously, it is reliable and the customer service can't be beat. They will resolve any issues within 24-48 hours once you email them. You can also edit your round after you play. I don't remember if you can do that with GolfShot, because once I tried Hole 19, I switched for good and deleted GolfShot from my iPhone and AW2.

Taylor Made SIM 10.5 HZRDUS Yellow 6.0
TM SIM2 MAX 3W HZRDUS Yellow 6.0
TM P790 UDI 2iron Project X LZ 6.0
PXG Gen III 4-7 0311P, 8-GW 0311T Project X LZ 6.0
PXG Forged 55, 60 Project X LZ 6.0
PXG Spit Fire
Titleist Pro-V1/PXG Xtreme Premium

Has anyone compared Golfshot to Hole19 on the apple watch?

I currently have a golfshot plus account and I have ordered an apple watch today. From what I seem to have read so far Hole19 seems to be always recommended as the best GPS app

what extras features does golfshot plus give you?

From memory it includes all the hazards and hole flyovers etc, I'm not sure if these carry over to the watch though