What golf trips are you planning to take in 2017???

So we started a thread last year for 2016 trips you might take. Let's do another one for 2017!!!

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1281848-what-golf-trips-are-you-taking-in-2016/page__hl__%20thejuice

I know my group will take a Spring trip sometime around March or April, we just don't know where yet. Being a ClubCorp member has its benefits and because of that, I'd like to get up to Akron this year to play Firestone.

My son is a freshman in college in Savannah so I expect to finally play my first rounds of golf on Hilton Head Island this year. I also plan to get up to Chattanooga to play Sweetens Cove and a couple other accessible courses.

Finally, if you live in the Atlanta area, you have to get over to Bama to play at least one or two of the RTJ Trail sites. It's a must!!!

So...where's everybody going this year???

TaylorMade M3 w/HZRDUS Yellow stiff
TaylorMade M4 Tour 3 wood w/HZRDUS Red stiff
TaylorMade M3 2 hybrid (set to 19*) w/HZRDUS Black stiff
Srixon U65 4i Miyazaki Stiff
Srixon 765 5-PW Modus 120 Stiff
Cleveland RTX 3.0 50*, 54*, and 58* KBS 61
TaylorMade Spider Black

Gameball: Vice Pro Plus, Srixon Q Star Tour

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just discovering...after many years on the East Coast that maryland, Delaware, NJ have some awesome coastal courses. 2-3 hours from me in DC. I will be exploring a bunch

Titleist TSR4 /Ozik F6M2/Ozik TP6HD/EVO III FUJI/fuji pro 2.0
Cobra Ltd 3 Kaili 80

Cobra Ltd 5 Kaili 80 (sub :Cobra F6 Baffler 18.5 Kaili 80)
Adams XTD TI  22 Hybrid
Honma 757B Blades 4-pw . s300 xp 
Nike Vapor Pro combo AW 50*,Ping 3.0 EYE 54, 58 

Bettinardi SS 2 silver

Nike B1-05 Origin (Rare)
Slazenger 508/Kirk Currie KC02B

Trying to score off some of the GB Top 100 with a buddy so we have a trip booked to Liverpool in May and these are on the list

Royal Liverpool

Royal Birkdale (TBC)

Southport & Ainsdale

Formby

Hillside

Still awaiting a few confirmed tee-times but its looking good for at least 3 out of those 5 at the moment.

I've also just booked some flights to play Lofoten Links in Norway

http://lofotenlinks.no/gallery/?lang=en

I'm going on my own which is a bit of a new venture but I have heard so many amazing things about this place that I just cant wait!

I'm not sure how any year could top the 2016 I just had as I went to Bandon in February, Cabot in July and just returned from the Carolinas, but I guess I can always try to top it. Nothing has been set yet, but the destinations on my radar for my next trip would be Michigan in the Spring/Fall or Scotland/Nebraska this summer. I might also sneak in a few rounds if I go to Atlantic City this summer.

For the first time in well over a decade, no real golf trips planned for me this year. I've decided to use what time and money I can afford to spend on golf to play as often as possible near home. Mostly at my home course.

I do have a couple of out of town golf buddies with whom I may drive up and play a round at some point this summer. And next time my wife and I are at the beach for a few days I'll take my clubs and play if the weather is nice.

It's just gotten harder and harder over the years justifying the expense and hassle of airline travel, paying outrageous green fees at "name" courses (or even some no-name ones) and using up all my annual leave time in one or two big chunks. I enjoy an everyday round at home about 99% as much as playing far-away courses. And after the first hundred or so courses are played, the whole quest for novelty thing seems to wear off somewhat.

I'm headed to Kiawah in two weeks. Going with my brothers-in-law and my father-in-law. Going to play another round in Charleston while we're down there. Really excited.

Hoping to take at least one other trip this year, but no ideas yet.

Titleist TSi3 10.5* - Fujikura Ventus Red 6S
TaylorMade Stealth Plus 15* - Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 7S
TaylorMade UDI 2 iron - Tour Only Project X HZRDUS 105g 6.5
TaylorMade RSI 3 iron - KBS C Taper X
Mizuno JPX 919 Forged 4 iron - KBS C Taper X
Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5-PW - KBS C Taper X
TaylorMade Milled Grind 3 54* SB - KBS C Taper S
TaylorMade Milled Grind Hi-Toe 58* - KBS C Taper S
Custom Cameron & Crown Mallet 1 or Futura 5W w/ custom flow neck
TaylorMade TP5x (2019 Version) 

January: Scottsdale

February: Los Angeles

Memorial Day: Central Illinois or Indianapolis

July: Traverse City, MI area

August: Monterey / San Francisco (tentative)

Labor Day: Central Wisconsin

December: Someplace warm

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Did Bandon twice in 2016 and have been a total of 3 times.

Currently on the wait-list for the Bandon Solstice in June so will be going for a few days if I get into that event.

Recently ranked the order in which I want to hit the rest of my "destination" trips.

1. Cabot

2. Streamsong (once Black is open)

3. Kohler (The dye-abolical package is calling me)

4. Sand Valley (in a few years once at least two courses are open)

So for 2017 the only thing I have planned is Naples in two weeks to get out of the snow.

Then I guess I need to book Cabot for late summer or fall.

I plan on playing Golfweek Magazine's List of Top Courses You Can Play in South Carolina. There are 15 course, I have tee times for 11 so far.

The courses I have tee times for are The Walker Course at Clemson, and 10 courses in Myrtle Beach, later this month I will schedule the 4 in the Hilton Head, Kiawah Island area.

This past year I played all 30 of the courses on the Golfweek Magazine list for Florida

I am doing a trip to Upstate New York and plan on playing 6 courses on the Golfweek Magazine list while I am there. So at a minimum I will add 21 new courses to my list for 2017.... well I am sure there will be more, as I am playing two new courses in these first two months of the year.

I'll hit Las Vegas in April and again in July, this I know already. I have my sights set on a couple of places otherwise but nothing set in stone. As of now I'm dreaming of Cabo San Lucas in May and Hawaii in September, with a trip back to my former home of Orlando over Thanksgiving, perhaps.

I'll hit Las Vegas in April and again in July, this I know already. I have my sights set on a couple of places otherwise but nothing set in stone. As of now I'm dreaming of Cabo San Lucas in May and Hawaii in September, with a trip back to my former home of Orlando over Thanksgiving, perhaps.

I am also dreaming of Cabo San Lucas. My wife knows I'm trying to make that trip either late this year or next year.

TaylorMade M3 w/HZRDUS Yellow stiff
TaylorMade M4 Tour 3 wood w/HZRDUS Red stiff
TaylorMade M3 2 hybrid (set to 19*) w/HZRDUS Black stiff
Srixon U65 4i Miyazaki Stiff
Srixon 765 5-PW Modus 120 Stiff
Cleveland RTX 3.0 50*, 54*, and 58* KBS 61
TaylorMade Spider Black

Gameball: Vice Pro Plus, Srixon Q Star Tour

Only two on the books at the moment:

May: A "Big 5" Ireland trip.

November: Annual Bandon trip.

Typically 2 or 3 more ad-hoc trips come up, whether it be across the pond or in N.A., so we'll see.

@007Iron: Kohler's packages really are good value (value for the higher-end places anyways). Cannot recommend Matt27 for a caddy enough, if you get around to booking.

We've done it twice over Memorial day weekend the past 5 years and this Memorial day was supposed to be our bi-annual trip before our jokingly saying lets go to Ireland, became a trip to Ireland.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Right now I've got the following planned.

Sweetens Cove (TN) mid January

Scotland/England February

Prairie Dunes March

Sand Hills May/June

Ireland/Scotland August

Long Island October

FREE AGENT CLUB HO NO MO!
Ari Techner
National Custom Works nationalcustomworks.com
[email protected]
IG: @nationalcustom
Twitter: @WorksNational
(still a huge club HO)

Nothing officially booked yet. Hoping for Streamsong Or Kohler.. Might wait for 2018 for Streamsong for the black to open... Eventually want to get to Bandon! Sucks being the only person I know that golfs.

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 60

3 Wood: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Fujikura Ventus Blue 6

3 Hybrid: TaylorMade Sim2 Rescue - Tensei AV Raw Blue

4I - GW: Taylor Made PSI - KBS C-Taper 105

SW: Titleist SM5 - 54 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

LW: Titleist SM5 - 60 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

Putter: 2022 Titleist Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Nothing officially booked yet. Hoping for Streamsong Or Kohler.. Might wait for 2018 for Streamsong for the black to open... Eventually want to get to Bandon! Sucks being the only person I know that golfs.

I decided a few years ago not to do a solo trip to Bandon. The whole setup there is optimized for groups of like-minded golf obsessives and it seems to me just getting paired up with random threesomes each round I'd be missing half the fun.

Plus the travel from where you and I live is so long, expensive and time consuming I'd want to maximize my enjoyment if I'm going to bother with the travel in the first place.

I decided a few years ago not to do a solo trip to Bandon. The whole setup there is optimized for groups of like-minded golf obsessives and it seems to me just getting paired up with random threesomes each round I'd be missing half the fun.

Plus the travel from where you and I live is so long, expensive and time consuming I'd want to maximize my enjoyment if I'm going to bother with the travel in the first place.

Thanks for the advice. From the research I have done it looks like Pebble/ Streamsong/ Kohler have spas so I could bring the miss with me. I would tell her to walk pebble though!

Thanks for the advice. From the research I have done it looks like Pebble/ Streamsong/ Kohler have spas so I could bring the miss with me. I would tell her to walk pebble though!

I lived on the Monterey Peninsula many years ago. Absolutely bring your wife/girlfriend/significant other. Even if she's not into golf, there are an abundance of things for her to do that would keep her occupied, and well entertained, for the duration of your round.

Titleist TSi3 10.5* - Fujikura Ventus Red 6S
TaylorMade Stealth Plus 15* - Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 7S
TaylorMade UDI 2 iron - Tour Only Project X HZRDUS 105g 6.5
TaylorMade RSI 3 iron - KBS C Taper X
Mizuno JPX 919 Forged 4 iron - KBS C Taper X
Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5-PW - KBS C Taper X
TaylorMade Milled Grind 3 54* SB - KBS C Taper S
TaylorMade Milled Grind Hi-Toe 58* - KBS C Taper S
Custom Cameron & Crown Mallet 1 or Futura 5W w/ custom flow neck
TaylorMade TP5x (2019 Version) 

Hoping to be able to get back to Ocean City, MD this year with a bunch of friends for a 3-day, 5 round trip in April but not sure I'll be able to make it this year due to many other commitments around the same time. Last year was a blast even though the weather was still kind of crappy at that time of year. Some really challenging courses down there

Right now I've got the following planned.

Sweetens Cove (TN) mid January

Scotland/England February

Prairie Dunes March

Sand Hills May/June

Ireland/Scotland August

Long Island October

You like hitting off mats? :tongue:

Golf-jealous of the Long Island destination though, those would be a great set to play.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

If you 'must' bring the missus, than definitely Pebble IMHO.

But if it is just you, Bandon is set up very well for singles - at least in the offseason (Nov-Feb) where I can speak from experience. I've been 3 times on my own and 3 times with my mates and even there with them I just keep playing if the weather is OK and have gone off in the afternoon as a single.

Obviously it's great to see my mates, but it's awesome golf regardless, and the first few times there, years apart I actually got paired up with the same twosome and single I'd seen my previous trip!

F.T.

But if it is just you, Bandon is set up very well for singles - at least in the offseason (Nov-Feb) where I can speak from experience. I've been 3 times on my own and 3 times with my mates and even there with them I just keep playing if the weather is OK and have gone off in the afternoon as a single.

Obviously it's great to see my mates, but it's awesome golf regardless, and the first few times there, years apart I actually got paired up with the same twosome and single I'd seen my previous trip!

I would not bring her to Bandon, but if we went to Pebble. I would play golf a few days while she did the spa. When I played Pebble I would hope she would walk with me! That is pretty cool that you got paired up with the same guys as a previous trip.. What a small world. If I did Bandon I would try to play 36 a day depending on weather. Then find a nice spot and enjoy some wine/ beer/ cigar!

I would not bring her to Bandon, but if we went to Pebble. I would play golf a few days while she did the spa. When I played Pebble I would hope she would walk with me! That is pretty cool that you got paired up with the same guys as a previous trip.. What a small world. If I did Bandon I would try to play 36 a day depending on weather. Then find a nice spot and enjoy some wine/ beer/ cigar!

Ya it was pretty crazy. A delightful old couple two years in a row and then one of the trips when we were a foursome. One guy couldn't get out of bed the next day, so a single joined us and we looked at each other with that hmmm I know you look. And then it clicked. So and so! You shaved your moustache! lol.

Monterey is great for couples. I was down there a few times with my GF before I actually golfed down there. It's not the Rockies. It's a fairly urban and crowded place, but great nonetheless.

Carmel has excellent window shopping - just don't let her go in any of them and blow a paycheque on something ;), Big Sur is an easy day trip, Pacific Grove is neat with some nice cafes and restaurants. IMHO Monterey town itself is more for piss ups with the lads and for families to go to the aquarium. Being able to combine that with a round or two of golf would be pretty cool.

F.T.

Last year I only really did one "golf trip" to Palm Springs in March....and it was awesome that time of year.

This year I have a solid plan for:

• Horseshoe Bay in March (GCAT Major with a round at Barton Creek prior)
  • Sonterra (San Antonio) in April for another GCAT Major
  • Jacksonville, FL in May for 10 days with my Dad to play golf and watch The Players
  • Mission Hills/Palm Springs in September for the GCAT Nat'l Championship for 7 days. Might be hot but as long as the greens and are cut and everything else is in decent shape I'm good.

I've taken over 40 solo golf trips over the past 10 years. Yeah, at times it would be nice to have a buddy to play with, but it hasn't stopped me from having a good time. You can pretty much set your own schedule. For me that means a pre-dawn wake-up, a quick continental breakfast, and the first tee time of the day. After than it's a proper bacon and eggs breakfast, and a 2nd round in the late morning. That allows time in the late afternoon for a stop at a brewpub, a nice steak joint, or some light sightseeing. I've been to Streamsong and Bandon, and I'd say they both welcome singles. Given that I play 90+% of my rounds as a single, joining another group doesn't bother me. The early morning rounds on the trips are generally solo, though, as I get out in front of the groups and enjoy a peaceful 2.5 hour round on an empty course. I played 10 rounds in 6 days this past August as I made my way across Nebraska to Denver, with a side trip to the Sand Hills area.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

A few days away at Easter up to Silloth to play a few times at Silloth on Solway Golf Club. (Wonderful Golf Course!), then down to the Wirral to play Royal Liverpool (Hoylake).

2 weeks in the Summer in Ayrshire, playing Royal Troon, Dundonald (I'll be at the Scottish Open this year), Prestwick, Glasgow Gailes, Western Gailes, then we go over for another 2 weeks in East Lothian, playing Gullane #1 and #2, Kilspindie, Archerfield Links, North Berwick, Dunbar, Craigielaw.

Then in October were off to Fife to play St Andrews (Old Course, New Course, Jubilee) and over to Panmure and Carnoustie.

I've taken over 40 solo golf trips over the past 10 years. Yeah, at times it would be nice to have a buddy to play with, but it hasn't stopped me from having a good time. You can pretty much set your own schedule. For me that means a pre-dawn wake-up, a quick continental breakfast, and the first tee time of the day. After than it's a proper bacon and eggs breakfast, and a 2nd round in the late morning. That allows time in the late afternoon for a stop at a brewpub, a nice steak joint, or some light sightseeing. I've been to Streamsong and Bandon, and I'd say they both welcome singles. Given that I play 90+% of my rounds as a single, joining another group doesn't bother me. The early morning rounds on the trips are generally solo, though, as I get out in front of the groups and enjoy a peaceful 2.5 hour round on an empty course. I played 10 rounds in 6 days this past August as I made my way across Nebraska to Denver, with a side trip to the Sand Hills area.

Sounds like a bunch of good trips. I do not mind pairing up with anyone. If they are not kind of an a** I will just but in my headphones in between shots and enjoy the scenery and such. I did a solo golf trip back in September/ October to the pinehurst area.. Pine needles, mid pines, tobacco road, and dormie club. Loved all my rounds. Was a single at Dormie. Thankfully at Tobacco road had a regular to help me with lines off the tee. Hoping to get back up there sometime to hit up the pinehurst courses.

I have a couple of trips booked:

Feb - Scottsdale to Watch the Waste Management (Thursday)

May - Cabot - 2Nights and 5 rounds booked

June - Annual Boys Trip (20) looks like florida this year over Michigan the past 4

August- Going to Uganda/Kenya for a safaris and might try to sneak in a round somewhere.

If I can find time and weather cooperates I will be heading to Mid Pines/Pine Needles before the end of Feb for the Golf Lovers package ($139/night for unlimited golf and accom)

I met up with two friends from other parts of the country for a late-February weekend at Mid-Pines/Pine Needles a decade or more ago. We were rewarded with weather that was almost unbelievable to anyone not a native of the Carolinas. Mornings in the low 50's and afternoons around 70 all three days, it was amazing.

I personally loved Pine Needles and count it among my very favorite golf courses, largely on the strength of my two rounds there on that weekend. I've since been back for one additional round and loved it again. I also really enjoyed Mid-Pines but Pine Needles seemed very special.

All this was before the Mid-Pines renovation but in my opinion Pine Needles was clearly the better of the two back then. Perhaps that opinion would be different now, I'll hope to find out one of these days. Best of luck with the weather, maybe you will catch one of those special days this year!

Leave for Edinburgh 08/17. Playing the following for sure. 40th birthday trip and one for a lifetime for me. To say I am excited is an understatement

Carnoustie

Kingsbarns week and a half after the Womens Open Championship

ST Andrews Old

ST Andrews New

North Berwick

Gullane No1

Crail Both courses

Ill probably fit in 1 or 2 more rounds in ST Andrews in the evenings like the Castle or a 2nd on the Old

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]