#TheWRX: The EPIC Event at Callaway Golf. 8 Members are treated to TheWRX

Do any of you have a low miss? My miss is always Low on the face and center. I rarely miss towards the heel or toe but mostly struggle hitting it low. One of my downfalls of the LTD. Love it but feel my strike being low on the face punishes me. Not OB punishes me just sacraficing distance.

G or G30 LS punishing me would be 2 fairways over or OB.

Just curious if anybodys miss is low and which version was better suited for a low strike.

Low hits with the LTD should work out pretty well compared to most other drivers. Unfortunately, I have not hit the Epic yet, so I don't know how they perform on low hits.

The thing is, it still goes straight when I strike low. Reason why its still in the bag. Still even when I nut it, doesn't get me the same distances as G LS did. LTD is by far the straightest driver I have played for me.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do any of you have a low miss? My miss is always Low on the face and center. I rarely miss towards the heel or toe but mostly struggle hitting it low. One of my downfalls of the LTD. Love it but feel my strike being low on the face punishes me. Not OB punishes me just sacraficing distance.

Just curious if anybodys miss is low and which version was better suited for a low strike.

yes my miss is a low heel strike because i can get to much positive attack angle. I have 3 rounds in with sub zero and have noticed that it still seems to come out pretty hot, granted there is still some loss of distance but the loss of direction is lessened.

I can also produce a nice drop kick as a miss and I've had 2 of those since using the Epic SZ and notice that the ball still carried out a decent distance.

yes my miss is a low heel strike because i can get to much positive attack angle. I have 3 rounds in with sub zero and have noticed that it still seems to come out pretty hot, granted there is still some loss of distance but the loss of direction is lessened.

I can also produce a nice drop kick as a miss and I've had 2 of those since using the Epic SZ and notice that the ball still carried out a decent distance.

Nice. Thanks! Can't wait until my fitting the 22nd. LTD seems to distance drop big time when I miss low. Still in play but huge loss in distance. If SZ can improve on my miss being low on the face, I'm ready to pull the trigger.

Nice. Thanks! Can't wait until my fitting the 22nd. LTD seems to distance drop big time when I miss low. Still in play but huge loss in distance. If SZ can improve on my miss being low on the face, I'm ready to pull the trigger.

I'll tell you i was one of the biggest skeptics going into the fitting. I really liked my M2 it was the best driver I had in the bag for years. Now it wasn't fit by a fitter of the level of the ECPC but I have a pretty good idea of what works for me, and I was fit into a very similar shaft for the Epic. So i was genuinely impressed with the Epic, longest vs. longest the Epic was a bit longer. The big difference was on misses, the loss was much less damaging with the Epic.

Didn't you drop kick one at Torrey that went like 35 yards longer than you expected?

10.5* G430 Max Diamana BF 60

15* G430 Max Diamana Ahina 70

21* Apex UW Diamana Ilima 80
22* (bent 23*) X Forged UT KBS Proto

Apex   MB 5-PW $-Taper 

Vokey SM9 Raw 50F, 56F, 60T

Toulon La Grange SB w/ KBS CT Tour

Jones Players Series 003

Can you guys speak to ballspeed and accuracy on mishits compared to good shots? Isn't that what Epic technology is all about?

My miss is high on the toe, and it is one of the main reasons I went to the G30 and played it for so long. In the limited testing I've been able to do (fitting at the ECPC, 18 @ Torrey Pines, and two range sessions at home), the forgiveness has been comparable to the G30, and that is probably the biggest surprise for me with this driver.

I was hitting driver pretty well at the ECPC (1.49-1.51 average smash factor with all head & shaft combinations), so I don't have many Trackman numbers for gross mishits. But on the South Course, one "big-miss" stands out, a slightly toey pull-draw on #15 (392 yard Par 4). I've seen that same shot dive-bomb after 180 yards with the SLDR and a few other drivers. Again, it is one of the reasons I played the G30. With the EPIC, this miss still carried high and far, only left 100 yards to a middle pin, and still managed to make birdie. So far, it is surprisingly very forgiving!

Did you go with the Epic or Epic Sub Zero?

Didn't you drop kick one at Torrey that went like 35 yards longer than you expected?

Now you are talking news I can use!

Crossfield seems to think the sub zero is fade biased. Anyone else that's hit the SZ feel this way too?

Also if so, how much more fade biased is it than the regular epic?

I posted this in Pure745's thread about his visit to the ECPC which can be found here: http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1414536-ely-callaway-performance-center-shootout-epic-vs-m2/

I hit the SZ first at the ECPC when I was there. I only hit it 3 or 4 times as the spin was a little too low for me and I couldn't turn it over - my normal swing produced a slight fade. When I put my draw swing on it, it just went straight. For full disclosure, I normally hit the ball fairly straight and my draw swing produces a 5-10 yard draw at most.

I don't remember being told by the Callaway staff that the SZ was fade biased, but that doesn't mean it isn't. My results with it told me it was, at least for me. I didn't get to compare them side-by-side because they only had one head of each version in left handed and MtlJeff was using one when I was using the other.

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Tensei AV Raw White 65X

PXG Gen 6 0311 15* - Aldila Tour Blue 75X

PXG  Gen 5 0311 19* - Aldila Tour Blue 85X

PXG 0311T Gen 5 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

Thanks Hot Rod. I am going to preorder without hitting either one. I know, I know, but I am going to pull the trigger from various reviews. I am a high spin player and launch it a little low. I know what shaft I am getting, but undecided on which head. For reference, I have been deeming the Callaway XR 16 Pro and that has been exceptional for me at 9* and draw setting. I was seeing 12* launch and 2100 spin and very straight. Yes, I am spending the $500 to get the latest and greatest.

I really want the Epic SZ because of the low spin, but scared it is too fade biased for me since I already faded the M1/M2. I don't think I want the regular Epic since it is not as low spin and I could see me spinning that up near 3k.

Any advice would help. Thanks.

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

Thanks Hot Rod. I am going to preorder without hitting either one. I know, I know, but I am going to pull the trigger from various reviews. I am a high spin player and launch it a little low. I know what shaft I am getting, but undecided on which head. For reference, I have been deeming the Callaway XR 16 Pro and that has been exceptional for me at 9* and draw setting. I was seeing 12* launch and 2100 spin and very straight. Yes, I am spending the $500 to get the latest and greatest.

I really want the Epic SZ because of the low spin, but scared it is too fade biased for me since I already faded the M1/M2. I don't think I want the regular Epic since it is not as low spin and I could see me spinning that up near 3k.

If you are a player with a high negative AoA (sounds like it with your description of high spin/low launch) then from what I was told the SZ may be the one for you.

The Epic GBB spins less than the previous GBB (at least for me it did) by 200-400 rpm, but that may not be enough for some players. IIRC, I was spinning the GBB Epic in the 2200-2400 range, and the Epic SZ in the 1700-1900 range.

PXG Bat Attack H

If we go off what Callaway has always done we can assume the GBB Epic is a little draw bias (same as the 3 wood)

So comparing the SZ to the Epic could be more neutral than open?

I know with the heavy weight forward it decreases the spin 200-400. Big weight back I betcha you get the same spin as XR pro or little under.

Now with all of this being said..what shaft are you planing on using?

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

I've hit the SZ a ton, I hit a big draw and I've had no issues playing that shot. At Torrey the Callaway guys asked if I've ever seen the left side of a course (I'm a lefty)

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

If you are a player with a high negative AoA (sounds like it with your description of high spin/low launch) then from what I was told the SZ may be the one for you.

The Epic GBB spins less than the previous GBB (at least for me it did) by 200-400 rpm, but that may not be enough for some players. IIRC, I was spinning the GBB Epic in the 2200-2400 range, and the Epic SZ in the 11700-1900 range.

Thanks again HR. I demo'd last years GBB against the M1 early last year and I spun the GBB too much and bought the M1. So, I think your analysis is spot on about my swing and what I think I need. I have paid lots if money for driver fitting and it didn't work out for me on the course. I have been playing this game long enough to "sort of" know what will fit me.

If we go off what Callaway has always done we can assume the GBB Epic is a little draw bias (same as the 3 wood)

So comparing the SZ to the Epic could be more neutral than open?

I know with the heavy weight forward it decreases the spin 200-400. Big weight back I betcha you get the same spin as XR pro or little under.

Now with all of this being said..what shaft are you planing on using?

Good feedback on the SZ and the weight in the rear comparing it to the XR 16 Pro. I am a Fuji guy and I loved the Speeder 665 Evo II TS in the XR 16 Pro. That shaft is offered in the Epic line at no charge and that is what I will be ordering tomorrow fro Discount Dan's. I am

I am still thinking 9 vs 10.5...hmmmm think getting the 9* and setting it to the draw setting like the XR 16 Pro was setup that I hit so well. I was launching that around 12*. I don't think anyone has mentioned launch angles in the Epic line yet and how they compare to other drivers.

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

i have the x16 with a rogue io and its the best combo i ever had. if the epic is better then im sold

[size=4][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][b]DRIVER[/b]- Callaway Rogue Oban Tour Limited 60s
[b]3 WOOD[/b]- GBB Epic Oban Kiyoshi Gold 75s
[b]HYBRID[/b]- Titleist 818 H1 19/23 Hybrid Atmos HB Tour Spec 85s
[b]IRONS[/b]- Srixon 765/565 Nippon Modus 105s
[b]GAP[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 52 Modus 105
[b]SAND[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 54 Modus 105
[b]LOB[/b]- Callaway MD3 Chrome 58 Modus 105
[b]PUTTER[/b]- Bettinardi Queen Bee #6
[b]BALL[/b]- Callaway Chrome Soft X[/font][/size]

i have the x16 with a rogue io and its the best combo i ever had. if the epic is better then im sold

I predict the new Epic GBB will knock off at least 300-400 rpms of spin over the Xr16 (probably more since the Xr16 spins more than the GBB).

PXG Bat Attack H

what will that much spin do to my 275 yard drive, will it hit it 340

[size=4][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][b]DRIVER[/b]- Callaway Rogue Oban Tour Limited 60s

what will that much spin do to my 275 yard drive, will it hit it 340

at minimum..... :taunt:

PXG Bat Attack H

love wrx for boosting my confidence and spending more cash

I have a negative AoA and went with the SZ. I usually hit a straight ball or a little fade. I got the same path with the SZ. Most were straight, others had about a 10 yd fade which is normal. Spin dropped about 500 rpm over my old Ping G25. It went from 3300 with the Ping to an average of 2800 with the SZ. I can't wait to see this thing roll out when it dry around here

I think Pure745 mentioned in his thread that the SZ was slightly fade biased but not as much as the M2. And the GBB Epic to be more neutral.

Contents of bag subject to change...frequently 

I predict the new Epic GBB will knock off at least 300-400 rpms of spin over the Xr16 (probably more since the Xr16 spins more than the GBB).

I have the same setup - xr16 9 * with rogue io. and now have a epic sz 10.5 adjusted down to 9.5.The io in the sz was quite a bit lower than the xr 16 setup.A better fit in the sz was a kurokage 50 gram with the sz at 9.5 neutral.This gave 3-4 mph more club head speed than my xr16 and about 3- 400 rpm less.I also have a sz epic 15 degree 3 wood with a kurokage which is was awesome and kicked my tried and true x2 hot 3 wood out.

ok good info, i will check that out. i love my io, i will try it in both epic heads

Those plaid head covers with the WRX logo are pretty slick. Are those / will those be paid available to the public or was that a one off for the trip? Really like the look of those. Any info?

Ping G400 Max 9 degree - Kuro Kage Dual Core TiNi 60X
Ping G400 3 wood - UST Mamiya VTS Silver SX
TaylorMade UDI 3 iron - GD AD DI 95X
Titleist 718 AP2 4-PW - Project X LZ 6.5
Mizuno T7 52, 56, 60 - DG
Evnroll ER2

Those plaid head covers with the WRX logo are pretty slick. Are those / will those be paid available to the public or was that a one off for the trip? Really like the look of those. Any info?

I presume they are one-offs for the event; they didn't want the Epic headcovers leaked before the launch and knew pics of bags would be posted, so they put those together. I thought it was a fantastic touch! The plaid pattern itself is available on Seamus' website: Clergy Green Modern.

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

Who all was fit into the AD TP? Any thoughts from rounds played after the trip?

I was fit into that shaft.

Going to do more testing this week with the shaft. Felt good during the fitting.

Twitter: @itsnotgriffin
Site: [url="http://www.thebottomgroove.com/"]www.thebottomgroove.com[/url]

WITB:
Callaway Big Bertha Epic 10.5
Callaway BBA 5 Wood
Callaway XR 7 Wood - Frankenstyle
Apex Hybrid 23deg
Apex Pro 5i-PW
MD3 52, 56 W-Grind
MD3 60 PM Grind
Odyssey O-Works - #1/3T (putter commitment issues)