What is the smallest jr. driver you made with an regular head?

killer21

I ordered a junior 34" uncut Stage 1 .335 tip pink driver shaft that should be compatable with all OEM Tips according to Flynn golf website.

I am going to try it with an M2 Adjustable Head and OEM adaptor - 10.5 set to 12.5* of loft.

I want it to play about 34" as my daughter is 50" Tall and going on 8 years old.

Anyone had any luck with a similar junior build? Any better results vs U.S. Kids driver UL51?

Ping G400 Fujikura Pro 60
Ping G30 Fujikura Vista Pro 80
Adams Pro 18, 23 Diamana White 83
Callaway Razr X Tour R300
Vokey SM6 50, 54, 58

Bobby Grace V-Foil 6.4 by Macgregor

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll preface this with the fact that my son plays on the US Kids LA Tour and FCG events, 10 and under. We have had kids in our groups from Beverly Hills to the hood and almost every one of them plays an OEM driver. I see lots of Aeroburners, XR16's, 915's and the Cobra drivers out there. The kids with the US Kids drivers just can't keep up with the OEM kids which could be because the kids with OEM's practice more frequently or they are truly better clubs... I just don't know for a fact either way. When my son moved to an OEM though he did increase his carry distance about 15 yards.

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

I'll preface this with the fact that my son plays on the US Kids LA Tour and FCG events, 10 and under. We have had kids in our groups from Beverly Hills to the hood and almost every one of them plays an OEM driver. I see lots of Aeroburners, XR16's, 915's and the Cobra drivers out there. The kids with the US Kids drivers just can't keep up with the OEM kids which could be because the kids with OEM's practice more frequently or they are truly better clubs... I just don't know for a fact either way. When my son moved to an OEM though he did increase his carry distance about 15 yards.

My son can hit an OEM 3W further (5-10 yards) than a US Kids Driver, for what it's worth.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

• 5 weeks later...

Just an update for my 7 year and 11 month old old daughter that's 50.5" tall.

Here is my science experiment update...

Built an M2 10.5* Driver with a kids .335 44gr Stage 1 shaft playing 36.75" Long.

Also built her an M2 18* Fairway with a 48gr stage 2 kids shaft. ( a little stiffer and heavier than the driver).

Both are substantially longer than the U.S. Kids recommended length for their 51" level clubs.

I am perplexed as she is smashing the 3 Wood around 90 yards carry on trackman today plus roll and making great contact even off the deck.

However the Driver is getting better each time out but she hasn't hit if farther than the 3 wood. She got close and had to work at it, but not further and not as consistent and less roll.

Didn't not expect her to be able to hit the fairway wood and perplexed on the driver a bit, thought she would hit it a bit better. I would say it's more consistent than her U.S Kids 51" for sure especially off centred hits but she's not maxing it out yet.

Vokey SM6 50, 54, 58

Built an M2 10.5* Driver with a kids .335 44gr Stage 1 shaft playing 36.75" Long.

Also built her an M2 18* Fairway with a 48gr stage 2 kids shaft. ( a little stiffer and heavier than the driver).

Both are substantially longer than the U.S. Kids recommended length for their 51" level clubs.

I am perplexed as she is smashing the 3 Wood around 90 yards carry on trackman today plus roll and making great contact even off the deck.

However the Driver is getting better each time out but she hasn't hit if farther than the 3 wood. She got close and had to work at it, but not further and not as consistent and less roll.

Didn't not expect her to be able to hit the fairway wood and perplexed on the driver a bit, thought she would hit it a bit better. I would say it's more consistent than her U.S Kids 51" for sure especially off centred hits but she's not maxing it out yet.

More than likely she does not compress the ball at that age. I am not an expert, but it could have something to do with it.

I did the same thing and put a Flynn junior shaft in a Callaway XR driver head for my 10 year old son. He hits it much better than his Flynn driver. I bought him a Cobra Fly Z three wood and it has a senior shaft in it. He hits it better than his driver so I asked his coach about it. He told me that there isn't much difference between the ladies flex and the senior flex. The big thing is the weight of the shaft and he told me to always go with the lighter shaft to keep the overall weight of the club down. Since my son hits the Cobra 3 wood so well, I ordered him the new King F7 driver with a senior shaft in it. I cut the clubs down to the US kids specs for their age.

I did the same thing and put a Flynn junior shaft in a Callaway XR driver head for my 10 year old son. He hits it much better than his Flynn driver. I bought him a Cobra Fly Z three wood and it has a senior shaft in it. He hits it better than his driver so I asked his coach about it. He told me that there isn't much difference between the ladies flex and the senior flex. The big thing is the weight of the shaft and he told me to always go with the lighter shaft to keep the overall weight of the club down. Since my son hits the Cobra 3 wood so well, I ordered him the new King F7 driver with a senior shaft in it. I cut the clubs down to the US kids specs for their age.

I love it. Can't wait to hear how it goes.

Vokey SM6 50, 54, 58

• 3 weeks later...

Want to add another question here. Are you putting a junior shaft in to a regular 460 head?

Yes, picked up the shaft from Flynn golf...stage 1 driver shaft that fits OEM Adaptor. it is actually made by UST Shaft company.

Working very well so far on Taylor Made heads with TM adaptor.

Vokey SM6 50, 54, 58

Want to add another question here. Are you putting a junior shaft in to a regular 460 head?

Yes, picked up the shaft from Flynn golf...stage 1 driver shaft that fits OEM Adaptor. it is actually made by UST Shaft company.

Working very well so far on Taylor Made heads with TM adaptor.

Thank you for the info! I know what Ill be doing today. lol

Callaway BB B21 9*
Callaway XR 18* 
Titlesist 910h 21*
G10 28*
Ping G, 6 - U
Callaway PM Grind 56*
Scotty Golo 5
Cally Truvis / Srixon Z star

• 2 weeks later...

I love it. Can't wait to hear how it goes.

He is hitting the new Cobra F7 further and more consistent than his Callaway XR. I got the lightest shaft that I could with a senior shaft. He has no issues at all with the shaft. I cut it down to the specs for the US Kids 57" driver. What I've found is that it's better to go with the women's and senior shafts over the junior shafts from Flynn. My son hits the driver 160yds and has no issue with a senior shaft.

My son is 10 and only 52" tall. You may want to try any of the Cobra Jr Amp Cell, Bio Cell, Fly Z, F6 drivers. He's plays the Cobra Bio Cell Jr driver (two shaft deal) and has had success with their Jr Shaft. I believe Fujikura? Played the 39" shaft all last year,and I made him choke down 2", to match US Kids length for the Tour Series 54 driver length.

He's gained some strength and I threw the 41" in, about a month ago, set at 13.5 degrees loft. Yesterday, took him out to the club for 9 holes and per the Garmin GPS watch, hit drives of 189, 149, 136, 194, 208, 171- average 174.5 yards.

Just read the Fowler/Walker articles re: shorter driver shaft. Threw the 39" shaft back in. 7/7 fairways and 209, 188, 178, 172, 178, 190, 172 for an average of 183.8 yards. 39" stays in, for now!

He plays the 2017 Bridgestone E6 Soft. I've tried a bunch of different ball/loft combos. The main things I've found (not rocket science LOL) is center club face strikes and ability to compress the ball make the biggest difference.

I have him hit balls at the range using stickers or spray to show him the distance lost by hitting the balls off-center, by even as little as 1/4". He's starting to understand that a faster swing doesn't necessarily translate into a longer drive, if the strike is heal/toe side off-center. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Update on my r15 at 14 degrees loft built with flynn's series 2 shaft we built it to 34.5, in the last week she's hit two greens fromm160 and 137 before this driver she was not over 100 yards.

I took off one of the screws to get the head weight without the tip to 188 grams which was about 1 gram off the vt max head.

She's very happy with it so that's all that matters, I was concerned of the 460 head but it doesn't seem to be An issue she just tees it up a little higher.

R15 heads seem to be cheaper and cheaper as Tm keeps putting out drivers might be a good option

Update on my r15 at 14 degrees loft built with flynn's series 2 shaft we built it to 34.5, in the last week she's hit two greens fromm160 and 137 before this driver she was not over 100 yards.

I took off one of the screws to get the head weight without the tip to 188 grams which was about 1 gram off the vt max head.

She's very happy with it so that's all that matters, I was concerned of the 460 head but it doesn't seem to be An issue she just tees it up a little higher.

R15 heads seem to be cheaper and cheaper as Tm keeps putting out drivers might be a good option

Wow, looks like a great improvement. I'm going to try moving my daughter up to the stage 2 shaft from the stage 1 with M2 head in the driver to match her 3 wood. It's amazing how fast their growth and ability accelerates exponentially. She just turned 8 but ready to swing some heavier artillery. She's hitting the stage 1 flynn advantage shaft with the M2 now, but I know she is not maxing it out. Actually hitting the 3 wood a bit further with a heavier shaft. It's been a good winter of tinkering. BTW cut down some US Kids tour series 54 irons I grabbed used and cut to TS 51 specs and she is hitting them great in the simulator. Wasn't sure she could handle them but improved her swing by slowing and shortening her very long swing a bit. Ultralights were too light and whippy. Very happy there too.

Vokey SM6 50, 54, 58

• 2 weeks later...

did you try the 3 wood shaft in the driver? I have been having this same problem with my girl. had been play xr driver with Flynn shaft.

• 1 month later...

My soon-to-be 7 year-old son has been playing 4 years. This is his second year playing the US Kids tour with 15 wins on the local Atlanta tour and two 2nd places in regionals. He is almost 51" tall. Currently plays TM Aeroburner HL (14*) head with VT Max (Flynn golf) shaft, playing 34 inches long. Before this he played the Flynn VT Max driver at 33", Koala (cheap Chinese brand) driver with +/- 450 head playing 34", and also US Kids UL48 and UL45. Before that just random kids beginner clubs like Tour Edge and Orlimar. We've tried out the US Kids Tour Series 51" driver as well.

He doesn't really drive it that far, even for his size (big for a 6-yo). Current carry around 90, total distance varying between 110 and 135. He has a smash factor of 1.45 but it hasn't really translated to big distances. Part of it is inconsistent contact and lack of proper weight transfer. Some of the other better players in his age group and smaller kids are driving it 10-20 yards farther. He only wins so often because he has a killer short game and a great caddy (ahem). (Off topic, but if you want your kid to succeed on the tours, that's where you should spend most of your time. It is more fun for them anyway.)

To compare those drivers:

US Kids UL series:

Great starter clubs for 4-5 year-olds just getting into the game. They are light and easy to hit and those whippy shafts help with distance and getting the ball into the air. Accuracy is not so important at this age/stage. But for more experienced juniors, those shafts are no good. Upgrade asap.

33" VT Max Driver, 12* Loft (Flynn golf):

Great driver but if you cut the Series 1 shaft down to keep the overall length under 34" like I did, I find the shaft plays too stiff, resulting in a lot of pushed drives. Driver also makes a loud tinny sound, although I have heard other kids with the same driver and it sounds different. Maybe it's just because of where my son hits it on the face. At 33" it doesn't quite drive it as far as the TM Aeroburner (34"), but still a great driver. I saw at least a couple of them on TV at the 2017 Drive Chip and Putt. I just bought a longer VT Max shaft which I plan to try in it after the local spring tour season. I may go to 35 total or maybe even longer. Thoughts?

34" Koala Golf (Chinese brand):

My son played this driver for a while between fall 2015 and winter 2016. I had him choke down since he was only about 48 inches tall at the time. We had great results with this driver. Aluminum head with a great sound. I loved the shaft too (Koala brand). It was not too stiff but not whippy like US Kids. Not bad for a $25 driver. We used it at the US Kids 2016 World Championship after trying the VT Max during the practice rounds and practice the two months before that. He simply hit it better than the VT Max, maybe because of familiarity. He still drives it pretty well but the shaft is starting to get too soft for his current swing.

34" Aeroburner HL 14 Degree with VT Max shaft:

Love this club for him. Bought the head new for less than $100. The Aeroburner was the driver with the lightest head (not counting the M1/2 which had just hit the market at the time). I just cannot get over spending $300+ on a kids driver... like the M1/2. The higher loft is a must. He hits it a lot more consistently than anything else we have tried.

US Kids TS 51:

We tried this at a US Kids demo day recently and although it was fine, it didn't really stand out above anything else he has played with. I still felt the shaft was a bit bendy but hard to tell from just a few swings. I do like the 440 head though. I think if you experiment with some shafts it could be ideal in terms of being age/size-appropriate.

Overall Takeaway:

I think it has a lot more to do with the shaft than the driver head at 6-9 years (or 45-55 inches tall). If it matters that much for adults, it will definitely matter for kids. The US Kids shafts in the UL series are garbage for kids with established swings. Even with a consistent swing, these things fly left and right at unpredictable angles. Most adult drivers cost between $300 and $500 these days. Much of that cost is in the shaft. The big companies are gravitating more towards high-end shafts in the drivers these days, albeit mass consumer versions of the same model. The point I am trying to make here is: how good is the quality of the shaft in a $49 US Kids driver?

The big problem I find for skilled kids under 55" is that there simply aren't better shaft options available. Besides VT Max/Flynn Golf, the only other option is Chicago SyncTech (available on Ebay), or cutting down 41-inch shafts from "legacy" older junior clubs like Titleist and Ping. The latter plays too stiff and changes the profile completely so it is never a good option.

I may get him either a Taylormade M1 or M2, or a Cobra King F7 later this year when the prices come down. I just got myself the F7+ and love it. Both these clubs have carbon fiber crowns which puts the weight lower in the head for better CG. Don't know what I will do for shaft because I am reluctant to go too long for him. Maybe the trusty VT Max.

• 2 weeks later...

did you try the 3 wood shaft in the driver? I have been having this same problem with my girl. had been play xr driver with Flynn shaft.

Yes, we settled on the same heavier stage 2 shaft in the Driver that is in the 3 Wood and this is the best combination we found for her M2 Driver and M2 18* fwy both with Flynn stage 2 shafts of the same weight. In my opinion, she is still not maxing out the best driver combo but it's the best we have found so far so that is what we are going with. (oops I said "we")

Vokey SM6 50, 54, 58

• 1 month later...

Wow, looks like a great improvement. I'm going to try moving my daughter up to the stage 2 shaft from the stage 1 with M2 head in the driver to match her 3 wood. It's amazing how fast their growth and ability accelerates exponentially. She just turned 8 but ready to swing some heavier artillery. She's hitting the stage 1 flynn advantage shaft with the M2 now, but I know she is not maxing it out. Actually hitting the 3 wood a bit further with a heavier shaft. It's been a good winter of tinkering. BTW cut down some US Kids tour series 54 irons I grabbed used and cut to TS 51 specs and she is hitting them great in the simulator. Wasn't sure she could handle them but improved her swing by slowing and shortening her very long swing a bit. Ultralights were too light and whippy. Very happy there too.

I'm going to update this threat...

We ended up switching to the US Kids TS 51 Driver and 3 Wood (Actually TS54 cut to TS51 specs) I picked up used this winter. The M2 Driver and 3 wood with Flynn shafts..I feel were a bit long and heavy leading to inconsistent contact. The sound and results on the USKids Tour Series Drive has been pretty impressive and suits her very well. Face appears pretty hot for her. She could have probably stuck with the OEM Stuff but she is handling the U.S. Kids very well - no struggles - light, doesn't hurt herself on mishits, better control of club and contact etc.... Just wanted to let you know had to reign it in a bit. She is playing very well - happy with US Kids. She is 8 and about 53" tall now.

Vokey SM6 50, 54, 58

• 2 weeks later...

We ended up switching to the US Kids TS 51 Driver and 3 Wood (Actually TS54 cut to TS51 specs) I picked up used this winter. The M2 Driver and 3 wood with Flynn shafts..I feel were a bit long and heavy leading to inconsistent contact. The sound and results on the USKids Tour Series Drive has been pretty impressive and suits her very well. Face appears pretty hot for her. She could have probably stuck with the OEM Stuff but she is handling the U.S. Kids very well - no struggles - light, doesn't hurt herself on mishits, better control of club and contact etc.... Just wanted to let you know had to reign it in a bit. She is playing very well - happy with US Kids. She is 8 and about 53" tall now.

Does that mean you have equitment to sell?????

• 1 month later...

My son has the Ping Moxie I set. He just turned 12 but is only about 58" tall. Small for his age but strong. He can get it out there 175-190 with rollout. He picked up my wife's Callaway Razr Hawk with ladies shaft at the range recently and was absolutely killing it (it's way too long so contact wasn't as consistent), but I'm going to get him a cheaper older driver on eBay with a ladies shaft and cut it down. Would like to get an adjustable head like a Jetspeed and then as he continues to grow and get stronger, I can change shafts easily and inexpensively by grabbing new shafts on eBay. What other adjustable heads are very light? Callaway XR comes to mind. I think the Jetspeed is around 194 and comes in high loft.

My son has the Ping Moxie I set. He just turned 12 but is only about 58" tall. Small for his age but strong. He can get it out there 175-190 with rollout. He picked up my wife's Callaway Razr Hawk with ladies shaft at the range recently and was absolutely killing it (it's way too long so contact wasn't as consistent), but I'm going to get him a cheaper older driver on eBay with a ladies shaft and cut it down. Would like to get an adjustable head like a Jetspeed and then as he continues to grow and get stronger, I can change shafts easily and inexpensively by grabbing new shafts on eBay. What other adjustable heads are very light? Callaway XR comes to mind. I think the Jetspeed is around 194 and comes in high loft.

For shafts you might want to consider something more along the lines of an A (senior) flex. Still lighter than a regular but a bit stiffer than the L flex. If he's strong then this might be a better option.

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

For shafts you might want to consider something more along the lines of an A (senior) flex. Still lighter than a regular but a bit stiffer than the L flex. If he's strong then this might be a better option.

Thanks, will tinker around with both. I figure I'm gonna have to shorten the ladies shaft about 3-4 inches so that would stiffen it up a bit.

• 4 weeks later...

Does that mean you have equitment to sell?????

Quick update.

Never sell your old stuff... Pulled out the M2/Flynn Stage 2 shaft and smashed it this weekend. I just think she needed to grow into it a bit. It's firmly in her bag for the rest of the year. specs...10.5* +1.5 up -w Flynn Stage 2 Shaft. M2 18* -w Flynn Stage 2 Shaft, New Rocketballz Tour Stage 2 21* +1.5 up Hybrid with Flynn Stage 1 shaft and TM adaptor- looked good on the range, might be in the bag too. She's 8 and a half and about 53" tall I think.

Vokey SM6 50, 54, 58

• 2 weeks later...

My kid is 6.5 years old/4 foot tall and playing an older TS-51 driver with the 320cc head on it (2012 vintage I think). I found this driver used at the local golf shop for $15. He was hitting the UL48 DV2 driver that came with the UL48 iron set. I'd say his driving distance has gone up by about 10-15 yards. If he really tags one (and maybe hard ground) it is around 130 yards. Most drives are around 110.

At the same golf shop, I went back and found the matching TS-51 3-wood from the same 2012 vintage for $15. The 3-wood tends to go about 100 yards and maybe 110-115 if he tags it. We use it more on holes when we want to be sure not to out drive the green. Overall, he hits this 3-wood pretty much the same distance as the UL48 DV2 driver.

I think the extra weight in the TS-51 driver/3-wood give the ball a little more pop for him. I also like the fact that the head is only 320cc, but that's just me because I am not a fan of these mammoth size heads. I'm the same with the putter....blades only and no mallet style. The clubs definitely have their nicks and scratches. Anyway, so far so good for $30.

It's no fun when the rabbit's got the gun.

• 2 weeks later...

Player : 7 YO son moving up from USKG 48" ultra light set. 50" Tall, 51 Lbs. Avg. Drive with USKG 48 UL around 125 Yards w/ roll.

I am leaning towards a Cobra F7 JUNIOR head , but it sounds like a lot of people are going with full sized Mens heads? That would open up the possibilities . I am not really sure the true difference b/t the F7 Junior head and the mens head. Anyhow, the Shaft seems to be the KEY component..

1.) Anyone have experience with cutting down the 41" junior shaft it the F7 Junior to +/- 34" (USKG 51" Tour Series Driver legnth) VS. the Flynn Golf Shaft?

2.) "Junior" driver head vs. "mens/regular" sized head ... perfromance differences or feedback? Junior heads are pretty much limited to Cobra King, Ping G812, Taylormade M2 (maybe discontinued).

Also, I have ordered an 8 iron in both VT Max and USKG 51" Tour Series to help decide which irons to go with. Will post feedback.

Player : 7 YO son moving up from USKG 48" ultra light set. 50" Tall, 51 Lbs. Avg. Drive with USKG 48 UL around 125 Yards w/ roll.

I am leaning towards a Cobra F7 JUNIOR head , but it sounds like a lot of people are going with full sized Mens heads? That would open up the possibilities . I am not really sure the true difference b/t the F7 Junior head and the mens head. Anyhow, the Shaft seems to be the KEY component..

1.) Anyone have experience with cutting down the 41" junior shaft it the F7 Junior to +/- 34" (USKG 51" Tour Series Driver legnth) VS. the Flynn Golf Shaft?

2.) "Junior" driver head vs. "mens/regular" sized head ... perfromance differences or feedback? Junior heads are pretty much limited to Cobra King, Ping G812, Taylormade M2 (maybe discontinued).

Also, I have ordered an 8 iron in both VT Max and USKG 51" Tour Series to help decide which irons to go with. Will post feedback.

There is no reason for a 7 year old to have an adult head.

Thanks for the reply, Heavy Hitter. That is my thought too. Just picking up reading through these threads that some folks have been using them. Doing more research on specs it seems most of the Junior OEM heads are a hair smaller in volume, but the main difference is higher loft.

Assuming your profile pic is of your junior golfer, he looks a bit older - if he every played US Kids UL's, at what age did he switch out of those and to what?

I wish I found these threads earlier. Lots of good info.

Thanks!