2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Flynn-Golf vs. USKids vs. Ping Thrive

We are loving the Flynn golf vt max driver but prefer the us kids UL irons. Next set will be the us kids tour irons and an adult Callaway XR driver, m2, or Cobra.

Is it the graphite shafts, or are the heads just not as good as the US Kids.

My kid is in all Steel shafts.

One thing I noticed for sure is that the Flynn iron heads are noticeably smaller and more compact than the US Kids offerings. Also, the shafts are bit more stout. My son had a problem with consistency. That said, I've seen some of the older kids 7-8 yrs old hitting the Flynn Very well. I'll give them a go again next year when my son is a bit older.

I am looking for something like that. My kid is 11 and in between junior and adult clubs. About 3 MPH to be exact. The steel shaft US Kids irons are just too whippy for him. A regular men's steel shaft is too stiff and heavy. he loved the Staff FG Tour Irons. I do not want to get adult clubs with senior graphite and turn around and buy new clubs again in 6 months. After seeing the Flynn Wedges, I though that this might be the answer I was looking for.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Flynn's clubheads are available in Series 1, 2, 2B, and 3. The face heights and blade lengths of these clubheads range in size from lighter and more compact than USK TS to larger than USK TS

So yes, some are smaller but some others are larger, depends on which ones you're talking about. They offer UST Mamiya carbon fiber composite shafts, True Temper junior steel shafts and KBS 560 premium junior irons shafts in their irons.

Flynn's clubheads are available in Series 1, 2, 2B, and 3. The face heights and blade lengths of these clubheads range in size from lighter and more compact than USK TS to larger than USK TS

So yes, some are smaller but some others are larger, depends on which ones you're talking about. They offer UST Mamiya carbon fiber composite shafts, True Temper junior steel shafts and KBS 560 premium junior irons shafts in their irons.

Great info, didn't realize the head sizes are different. Looking at ordering first set of Flynns' shortly.

Ping G400 Fujikura Pro 60
Ping G30 Fujikura Vista Pro 80
Adams Pro 18, 23 Diamana White 83
Callaway Razr X Tour R300
Vokey SM6 50, 54, 58

Bobby Grace V-Foil 6.4 by Macgregor

I had no idea they offer different size heads either. I wonder why Mike didn't mention this when putting in my order.

I think the size would be part of the fitting to the players age and size specs unless you wanted something out of the ordinary like a heavier head for a young player or vice versa..

We are out of luck being lefties, the lefty heads were too heavy for our build. Have to wait and stick with U.S Kids for another year or two until she fits Flynn. shafts are great though!

Ping G400 Fujikura Pro 60
Ping G30 Fujikura Vista Pro 80
Adams Pro 18, 23 Diamana White 83
Callaway Razr X Tour R300
Vokey SM6 50, 54, 58

Bobby Grace V-Foil 6.4 by Macgregor

• 3 weeks later...

It is kind of difficult to find all of the specs but if you visit his site, click on "customize my clubs", then click on the image of the VT Max velocity irons, then hit the right arrow 4 or 5 times there is a picture of the loft, weight, and lie angle of the series 1, 2, and 3 irons. Mike told me the 2B has the same blade length and face height of the 3, but are 5 grams heavier than the 2. I am pretty sure I will be ordering my son (12 1/2 years old) the 2B with the TT Junior Steel shafts. So many options - need to make sure I get it right. This will likely be his last junior set before he gets my MP67's. LMAO

• 1 month later...

With four boys in the house and the oldest being 16 and weaned on Us Kids clubs when he was younger, I can say that the US Kids irons are great. The woods are OK. Replace the driver with a real OEM driver as soon as you can. US Kids drivers are designed to be light weight first. They lack technology in terms of distance generating "pop" when hitting the ball. Get the Cobra Junior Driver. My 11 year old hits his at least 20 yards longer than the US Kids one. (Yes, for distance gapping, my 11 year old and my nine year old both carry a US Kids driver and an OEM one.

Ping G430 Max 10K, 10.5*, Ventus Velocore TR Red 5R

Ping G430 Max 3 and 7 Woods, 16.5* and 21.0*, Alta CB Black 65R

Titleist 2023 T200 Irons, 4-PW, 48*, TT AMT Black R300
Titleist SM9 Wedges, 54.10 S, 60.10 S, TT DG Wedge S200
Titleist Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2 Putter

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi all!

My 7, almost 8 year old picked up the bug over the summer, and started to wear out his XJ hot callaway set that was a gift from a friend.

Hits the set well, but I think the heads are rather heavy and he's developed a few swing quirks because of it. Took 3rd place in his first ever tournament recently

Went to big box superstore, and he was hitting the 51" USKIds UL relatively well, generating 5500 backspin on a 7iron. Ultralight driver was pretty good too, about similar to the Callaway.

Tried the USKids tour, and was a bit more consistent with the irons, but spin was 3500 on the 7 iron only. It also looked like he was letting the club do the work. Couldn't get the Tour driver off the ground (12 degree from his callaway 16 degree).

Not sure where to go, relatively strong swinger, but I don't want to perpetuate any bad habits from heavy clubs.

Was thinking of going to VT Maxx velocity, as the series one was slightly heavier than the UL, and slightly lighter than the US kids tours with better shafts. Lots of people like the driver as well.

He likes the colors too, but just have a hard time buying sight unseen.

Thoughts?

Lastly, what is everyone doing for putters? He's using the 2 ball junior putter that came with the XJ set, but at the superstore, he really liked an odyssey works putter, and of course an almost 400 dollar scotty,

I thought about cutting down the odyssey but the guys there said that would really screw up the weighting etc. Grips were an issue as well. Any recommendations on a nice blade style putter for a 51" junior?

Appreciate the help!

my 7 year old uses an Odyssey 2 ball which I had cut down from 34 inches to whatever the USKG 48" putter length is.

There's no problem with the weighting of it, the grip however needed just a tad more tape wrap towards the bottom of the taper. Nothing a clubmaker can't handle.

I say if your child likes the putter and you're willing to buy it, then go for it.

• 3 months later...

Wedge shopping. I am gathering from reading through this older thread and some others that the nod on wedges seems to go to Flynn VT Max over USKG.

Can anyone with direct experience offer specifics on why? How about Flynn vs. USK Tour Series? Weight difference? - Flynn gives weight stats on their website, USKG doesn't say (in my experience they will not disclose...trade secret I guess)

Wedge shopping. I am gathering from reading through this older thread and some others that the nod on wedges seems to go to Flynn VT Max over USKG.

Can anyone with direct experience offer specifics on why? How about Flynn vs. USK Tour Series? Weight difference? - Flynn gives weight stats on their website, USKG doesn't say (in my experience they will not disclose...trade secret I guess)

My son had both and liked the US Kids better. The Flynn are heavier. The US Kids go further.

My son had both and liked the US Kids better. The Flynn are heavier. The US Kids go further.

US Kids had more bite for us. Couldn't tell the difference in distance due to growth of child.

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

US Kids had more bite for us. Couldn't tell the difference in distance due to growth of child.

Leezer and HH- You talking about USK UL or Tour Series? We're using UL now.

USKG shares their technical specs. Here are the specs on UL and Tour Series (note does not have specs on the new Tour Series 3 (TS3) clubs.

http://www.uskidsgolf.com/sites/uskidsgolf.com/files/USKG-2014-TechnicalSpecs.pdf

They seem pretty forthcoming with info if you ask them.

It's no fun when the rabbit's got the gun.

USKG shares their technical specs. Here are the specs on UL and Tour Series (note does not have specs on the new Tour Series 3 (TS3) clubs.

http://www.uskidsgolf.com/sites/uskidsgolf.com/files/USKG-2014-TechnicalSpecs.pdf

They seem pretty forthcoming with info if you ask them.

Thanks for sharing. I called them earlier this year about something and they were very Mum , said they couldn't share. Ha!

TS

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

Tour Series

This depends on the head. He has 4 heads to pick from some right on par with tour series some on par with ul. Just depends on what you are looking for. He has a 2b which he doesn’t advertise at all.

In our experience the USKids Tour Series wedges are very good and I'd go for them over the USKids Ultra Light or the VT Max, having my juniors tried these and various others over the past 8 years of junior golf. My younger boy (11 year old) still plays USKids wedges, and my 14 year old has been in Ping i's (Ping Glide wedges fitted with shafts for him) for about 2 years. Once kids start getting strong enough for driver speeds of 85-90 mph you can start thinking about fitted adult clubs such as the Pings that have a slightly lighter club head weight. This site has some good guidance on clubs for younger juniors (about 5-11 years old) and then the intermediate years between kids and adult clubs: thejuniorgolfer.com (the junior club fitting post and junior driver page have similar but good info). At almost all regional tourneys in the South East and at National junior events we see mostly USKids clubs and wedges (though adults drivers seem to be more popular at younger ages - fitted with junior or ladies shafts).

Note - I see that USKids are bringing out a new line in 2018 (the Tour Series V3), including a 52*, 56* and 60*, that looks quite exciting. Not sure why but they have not really advertised this anywhere but seems to have debuted at a recent trade show: https://www.pgashow....475694799570000

In our experience the USKids Tour Series wedges are very good and I'd go for them over the USKids Ultra Light or the VT Max, having my juniors tried these and various others over the past 8 years of junior golf. My younger boy (11 year old) still plays USKids wedges, and my 14 year old has been in Ping i's (Ping Glide wedges fitted with shafts for him) for about 2 years. Once kids start getting strong enough for driver speeds of 85-90 mph you can start thinking about fitted adult clubs such as the Pings that have a slightly lighter club head weight. This site has some good guidance on clubs for younger juniors (about 5-11 years old) and then the intermediate years between kids and adult clubs: thejuniorgolfer.com (the junior club fitting post and junior driver page have similar but good info). At almost all regional tourneys in the South East and at National junior events we see mostly USKids clubs and wedges (though adults drivers seem to be more popular at younger ages - fitted with junior or ladies shafts).

Note - I see that USKids are bringing out a new line in 2018 (the Tour Series V3), including a 52*, 56* and 60*, that looks quite exciting. Not sure why but they have not really advertised this anywhere but seems to have debuted at a recent trade show: https://www.pgashow....475694799570000

Thanks for the thorough feedback Max. Good info and was wondering about the new TS V3- had heard about them but couldn't find any info. Will look into and maybe wait on them to come out. Just left Holiday Classic last week and payed closer attention than usual- a lot of OEM drivers with Flynn or ladies shafts, same with Worlds. (Also notice a lot of Scotty's on the greens- ha. So go figure, maybe more a "cool"factor..which I kinda get for some kids. Hey, if it keeps them engaged. All for fun anyway) Anyway, my son is gaming a TS driver now and getting plenty of distance for USKG set ups (arguably too short, rarely hits anything more than a PW into par 4's) ,so more concentrated Right now on next set of irons and wedges. Too bad someone can't get all these options together for side by side testing, ha. That would be nice!

Thanks for the thorough feedback Max. Good info and was wondering about the new TS V3- had heard about them but couldn't find any info. Will look into and maybe wait on them to come out. Just left Holiday Classic last week and payed closer attention than usual- a lot of OEM drivers with Flynn or ladies shafts, same with Worlds. (Also notice a lot of Scotty's on the greens- ha. So go figure, maybe more a "cool"factor..which I kinda get for some kids. Hey, if it keeps them engaged. All for fun anyway) Anyway, my son is gaming a TS driver now and getting plenty of distance for USKG set ups (arguably too short, rarely hits anything more than a PW into par 4's) ,so more concentrated Right now on next set of irons and wedges. Too bad someone can't get all these options together for side by side testing, ha. That would be nice!

Excellent, hope PGA National was as good as ever. We missed it this year due to school holiday schedules, first time in 6 years! I guess as long the kids continue using the Scotties they are worth it, we tend to go through a new putter for the boys every year or two.. I totally agree on the driver aspect and in our experience we didn't see much difference in length between the USKids TS and OEM drivers until the kids reach about 11+ when their swing speeds can make use of a heavier club and slightly better technology - and they start playing in some 13U tourneys where the distances are closer to 6000 yards. USKids, in my opinion, has done a great job on the drivers and irons and I highly recommend them to anyone who asks. Putters are a different story, I recommend going to your local PGA Superstore (or equivalent), finding something they like the look and feel of, and having it sized appropriately.

USKids TS3 review and specs compared their 2017 clubs here: https://thejuniorgolfer.com/uskids-ts3/

USkids-2018-TS3-tour-series-3-irons-8-iron-and-sand-wedges.jpg

• 1 month later...

With four boys in the house and the oldest being 16 and weaned on Us Kids clubs when he was younger, I can say that the US Kids irons are great. The woods are OK. Replace the driver with a real OEM driver as soon as you can. US Kids drivers are designed to be light weight first. They lack technology in terms of distance generating "pop" when hitting the ball. Get the Cobra Junior Driver. My 11 year old hits his at least 20 yards longer than the US Kids one. (Yes, for distance gapping, my 11 year old and my nine year old both carry a US Kids driver and an OEM one.

Which Cobra driver would you recommend? 11 year old son looking at TS3 60" but the general consensus seems to be go with the iron set and different woods. He stretches out to about 170 with USKG UL 57" and averages total distance of 160-163. Would moving to lighter adult clubhead with jr shaft really make that much of a difference with distance (assuming swing specs stay the same? Thanks!

Which Cobra driver would you recommend? 11 year old son looking at TS3 60" but the general consensus seems to be go with the iron set and different woods. He stretches out to about 170 with USKG UL 57" and averages total distance of 160-163. Would moving to lighter adult clubhead with jr shaft really make that much of a difference with distance (assuming swing specs stay the same? Thanks!

Grab a used F7 on Ebay with the 41" shaft for about $99 or less.

Or keep an eye for a deal on Budget Golf, or Golf Galaxy and use a 15%-25% coupon code at the right time to get a deal on a new one from $199. You will be able to get the 41" shaft, and then get the 43" upgrade shaft from Cobra for free.

Or keep an eye for a deal on Budget Golf, or Golf Galaxy and use a 15%-25% coupon code at the right time to get a deal on a new one from $199. You will be able to get the 41" shaft, and then get the 43" upgrade shaft from Cobra for free.

That may be the way to go. Son is a lefty so tougher to find pre-owned. Have you really seen a distance pick up going to an OEM driver?

That may be the way to go. Son is a lefty so tougher to find pre-owned. Have you really seen a distance pick up going to an OEM driver?

Also, if you can only find a 43" shaft Cobra F7, you can get Cobra to send you the 41" shaft as your "upgrade shaft".

It's no fun when the rabbit's got the gun.

Actually, there a good bit of preowned leftys on ebay. $99-$115.

And yes, distance picks up with the OEM. My son gained 25-30 straight away. My wife swings about as fast as my son, and she switched from an ultra light driver similar to USK to a GBB Fusion and gained 35 yards right away. They both play them high lofted. My son is at 41" 12*, and the wife at 42.5" 13.5*. Fairway finders.

My son is a lefty. The deals out their for lefty's are always better if you know where to look. You can find great stuff at Global Golf for pre-owned. For new stuff a year old visit Golf Deals and Steals (a lot of brand new TM equipment).

My son is a lefty. The deals out their for lefty's are always better if you know where to look. You can find great stuff at Global Golf for pre-owned. For new stuff a year old visit Golf Deals and Steals (a lot of brand new TM equipment).

F7 & F8 Junior drivers only available in RH from Cobra website...