Club champion fitting

jut111

So club champion is running a 50% off promo for a full bag fitting. I decided to treat myself and give it a shot. My only fitting experience to date was IMO a sub par driver fitting (I basically was handed 4 clubs, 3 shots with each with no shaft experimentation) and an online fitting for my DF putter.

Just looking for any advice/what to expect. I'm pretty set with my DF putter but won't say no to some time on a Sam.

Edit to add reviews I've read seem to agree they do a good job but price quotes for clubs are real high. I want to make sure I walk out with my specs if that proves to be true.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've heard good and some subpar experiences at Club Champion. So far my fitting experience there has been fantastic. My original guy that I used to go to there spent a lot of time with me asking about how the shaft felt, a lot of time on making sure it was giving me center face contact, and then at the end finding the right clubhead to bring down my spin on the driver and max/ideal distance on my irons.

I've heard, apparently, that some people feel like they have products forced on them. However, numbers and consistency don't lie. If you really want to buy those sweet Miura irons even though they don't give you optimal numbers, then that's a choice that the purchaser makes. The guys at CC will definitely (or should), be trying to convince you to go with the clubs that give you the optimal numbers.

Mavrik 10.5 Project X Riptide 6.5 Small Batch

Sim 17 Ventus Red 7X

Sim Hybrid 21 Ventus Blue 9X

3-5 P770  KBS C-taper 120

6-PW Blueprint KBS C-taper 125 ssx1

52,56,60 MG3 TW DG S400

GCQuad/SwingCatalyst/FLIR Blackfly/Fiberbuilt/Carl's Place DIY

Also I know this is a CC thread, but how was the experience for the online fitting for your DF putter and how it's performing from doing your fitting online?

Sim 17 Ventus Red 7X

52,56,60 MG3 TW DG S400

I only got two rounds in before the snow started with my DF. That said, it was two of my better putting rounds ever.

Fitting seems like it was dead on, the key really is getting lie and length fit so you don't have to do anything awkward to sole the putter flat at address.

In practice I've alternated between the DF and my old gamer simply trying to roll a lined ball straight. It is infinitely easier for me to do with the DF.

I've been fitted by them a few times. In those times it was always because I wanted to try new things. I got fitted at the Rockville site in Maryland. Remember to bring your golf shoes and your entire bag. You will be swinging a lot. Generally if you do irons first they will find a good head that you hit well and then go through iron shafts depending on your swing speed and how your length and dispersion is. Once that is honed a little they'll tweak a little more with length of the shaft and swing weight. Then more minor tweaks to try and maximize distance and minimize dispersion. They'll look at spin rate and stuff too. Rockville doesn't push you like others have mentioned. They have two great guys there that I've known for a while. I recently upgraded my irons from z545 with steel fibers to z765 with the same shafts I had. Some people have issues swinging indoors but try your best to swing as if you were playing golf. Make sure to warm up with some wedges and just enjoy. Bring a snack and water. Make sure to not eat a big meal before you go. They'll have premium balls so they'll ask what ball you play and give you a bunch to use.

Adding to the specs edit, they do a pretty good job on building to my specs. You can always ask them to double check swing weights, loft, lie etc. I've been able to take my clubs back and ask them to rebend them and they did a lie fit in the middle of the year for free and bent them immediately for me.

Sim 17 Ventus Red 7X

52,56,60 MG3 TW DG S400

Why is this in the Instruction forum?

Imho fitting and instruction go hand in hand. I could be wrong but the WRX tech forum seems more focussed on club building and the equipment forum on general club discussion/merits.

Feel free to suggest a better place for it.

Thanks for the feedback so far to others who have posted.

How hard is the up sell to buy clubs from them once you're done?

It seems like in the days of eBay, good used or demo sets, and the BST paying full retail for the clubs is a complete joke. Seems like unless you had some crazy custom tweaks you could build out a lightly used set for 1/10th the price.

If you just leave with your specs does the entire staff chant "shame!, shame!, shame!" as you walk out?

So I got fitted at the Rockville store a week ago, and the experience was amazing. Gsrjc did a good job describing the experience, so I want speak to that, what I will say is the information you get post fitting is great, and now I can take this info and either build my own set or go through them and do it. I was told to keep my iron heads and reshaft, but the reshaft cost is expensive when you factor in grips and build cost!! I priced out a new set of irons from TM with my custom settings and it came to about the same price if I where to trade in my irons, so I'm trying to decide what I want to do. Either way I know exactly what I need to do to optimize my equipment. They also do custom paint jobs!! My Odyssey 2ball fang is going to get blacked out for $100...

Was fitted for a driver at Club Champion in Orlando back in September. I paid full price for the driver fitting and would absolutely do it again. Properly fit club gave me the yardage I had lost by switching to something that absolutely didn't fit me.

1/2 off a full bag fitting would be a good deal. Just wish I needed the rest of my bag looked at!

Callaway AI Smoke Max 11.5* Fujikura Ventus TR Red

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 15* Fujikura Ventus TR Red

Taylormade SIM DHY 19* Diamana Hybrid

Callaway Rogue ST Pro 5-PW Fujikura Axiom

Taylormade HiToe Bigfoot 52*/56*/60* Fujikura Pro

Odyssey AI-One Seven S

Callaway Chrome Tour X

WITB Link

I've had no issue with upsell. I have told them that I could get a better deal on the clubheads and had them order the shafts (although the shafts tend to be more expensive anyway because they include their price to build the club in the shaft price). They were cool with that.

You can build your own as well. Would probably be much cheaper. I did not have any issue with upsell. I was able to even cancel a putter order the next day before it went through their system to the vendor.

Sim 17 Ventus Red 7X

52,56,60 MG3 TW DG S400

Been fitted at CC in Atlanta twice. Amazing experience and the fitter did some things that I would have never thought of. One example...I was releasing the club too near my trail leg. Getting in a heavier swing weight allowed my hands to be further forward during impact. I would agree...get ready to open your wallet...but $$ well spent.

I went there for a fitting about 2 years ago. Their fitting process is really no different from any of the other high end fitting joints like Hot Stix, Cool Clubs, FuZion Golf (now defunct), etc. I don't mean that in a bad way because I think there is good value in these places.

Be prepared for this to be a little more strenuous of an exercise than you would think. They do a great job of making it easy for you, but it's a lot of balls to hit and that can be exhausting for some.

You'll get on Trackman and hit balls into a net (unless this is an outdoor facility). The biggest positive about the experience is that they have tons of combinations to choose from so you can be fitted for pretty much the ideal combination. That's what the local golf shops don't have...the different combinations of heads and shafts to find the optimal fit. You may get a better fit than your current setup from a local shop, but because they have more combinations at Club Champion than most places, you're more likely to find an optimal fit.

Don't expect to hit every combination. They'll have good knowledge of looking at your Trackman data of where you need to go to optimize your performance and have a good idea of what club head and shafts would help you get where you want to go.

Expect to have some sticker shock when they try to sell you the clubs. They basically charge everything 'ala carte.' So, if you are fitted for a $399.99 driver with a $399 aftermarket shaft and a $10 grip, the charges for the club alone will be $810. Then they'll charge for labor, so you're looking at close to $900 for a driver. They usually take the charge of the fitting off if you purchase from them.

The better method IMO is to get fitted and then learn how to disassemble and assemble equipment yourself. If you're looking to save the most money possible, you can find a head and the shaft on eBay or here on the classifieds for much less and then assemble it yourself. That may cost you 1/4 the price of what Club Champion offers.

The only thing I don't like about these high end fitting spots is that none of them fit for MOI matching. Thankfully I know how to do that and have an MOI Auditor machine. I really think these places are missing out and could better justify their costs and create a better perceived value from their customers.

RH

I went there for a fitting about 2 years ago. Their fitting process is really no different from any of the other high end fitting joints like Hot Stix, Cool Clubs, FuZion Golf (now defunct), etc. I don't mean that in a bad way because I think there is good value in these places.

Be prepared for this to be a little more strenuous of an exercise than you would think. They do a great job of making it easy for you, but it's a lot of balls to hit and that can be exhausting for some.

You'll get on Trackman and hit balls into a net (unless this is an outdoor facility). The biggest positive about the experience is that they have tons of combinations to choose from so you can be fitted for pretty much the ideal combination. That's what the local golf shops don't have...the different combinations of heads and shafts to find the optimal fit. You may get a better fit than your current setup from a local shop, but because they have more combinations at Club Champion than most places, you're more likely to find an optimal fit.

Don't expect to hit every combination. They'll have good knowledge of looking at your Trackman data of where you need to go to optimize your performance and have a good idea of what club head and shafts would help you get where you want to go.

Expect to have some sticker shock when they try to sell you the clubs. They basically charge everything 'ala carte.' So, if you are fitted for a $399.99 driver with a $399 aftermarket shaft and a $10 grip, the charges for the club alone will be $810. Then they'll charge for labor, so you're looking at close to $900 for a driver. They usually take the charge of the fitting off if you purchase from them.

The better method IMO is to get fitted and then learn how to disassemble and assemble equipment yourself. If you're looking to save the most money possible, you can find a head and the shaft on eBay or here on the classifieds for much less and then assemble it yourself. That may cost you 1/4 the price of what Club Champion offers.

The only thing I don't like about these high end fitting spots is that none of them fit for MOI matching. Thankfully I know how to do that and have an MOI Auditor machine. I really think these places are missing out and could better justify their costs and create a better perceived value from their customers.

RH

Very informative.

Richie what kind of dispersion tightening have you seen with the moi matched clubs?

RH

Thanks RH.

my only issue with club champion is you are hitting into a net and because of this I've heard alot of stories of people changing their mind after seeing the flight on course. Thats the only issue, fittings are good though.

true. In my area, I haven't come across an alternative to that. Seems like all the fitters work indoors. Something to keep in mind though. I have hit on trackman a decent amount outdoors though so I have a decent idea what traj looks like with different numbers.

RH

Very informative.

Richie what kind of dispersion tightening have you seen with the moi matched clubs?

I've seen massive improvement. I'm a +2 that sometimes plays into a +3, so I didn't need a ton of help. For me MOI matching really helped with the long irons more than anything. It also helped with the shorter irons, but shorter irons are easier to hit to begin with...you just don't notice it until you actually check your impact dispersion.

It really helps out with those trouble clubs in your set that you just don't hit well for some reason. What I've found is that those clubs almost always stray far from your fitted MOI. For instance, you can have two 6-irons...same make, model, shaft and grip and the same length, loft, etc and with the same swingweight.

But, one 6-iron head can weigh 258 grams and the other 262 grams. One shaft can weight 123 grams and the other could weigh 126 grams. And the Center of Mass of the heads and the shafts could be in different locations. It's all because every OEM has tolerances and no OEM can produce the same exact club and shaft with the same exact properties. And you may have accidentally cut the shaft 1/16" too short. That all adds up. And in the end, you can have 2 clubs that seem the same to the naked eye, but have vastly different MOI measurements and you will react differently to them when you swing them.

The other thing I've seen is trajectory change. When I was first learning MOI matching years ago, I learned how to fit for MOI and I took an old Wishon driver that was very light. I never used it because I hit the ball extremely low with that driver. I was just trying to find what my optimal MOI would be by seeing the difference in impact dispersion. As I added more weight to the head the ball flight got higher and higher to the point where it was perfectly where I wanted the trajectory and was optimizing launch and spin on FlightScope. It was really neat to see this (I had no idea that this would happen).

Here's a video discussing it along with a case study of a golfer going from swingweight to MOI matching.

For the average golfer, they would be wise to learn how to assemble clubs if they are going to places like Club Champion because the pricing at Club Champion is a bit ridiculous and it's not that difficult to get fit, take their suggestions and do it yourself and save money. But with MOI fitting, now you really need the MOI Auditor Machine to get it right...but more importantly, it's a superior way to fit clubs and increase customer satisfaction.

RH

How is their putter fitting? It says they use SAM puttlab, so I'm wondering if they do anything special there.

I believe they have Edel Putters, so they have to be trained in how Edel fits for putters which is quite good.

I haven't been fit on the latest versions of SAM. I was on the first version of SAM and while I thought it had some fitting capabilities, I wasn't overly impressed with it from a fitting perspective. Using it for putting lessons, I think SAM is excellent.

IMO, if you really want a superb putter fitting, you really need to find a teacher that knows basically ALL of the various types of putting strokes or is excellent at teaching 1 particular style of putting and is consistently able to get their students to transform their technique to what they teach.

RH

How is their putter fitting? It says they use SAM puttlab, so I'm wondering if they do anything special there.

I believe they have Edel Putters, so they have to be trained in how Edel fits for putters which is quite good.

I haven't been fit on the latest versions of SAM. I was on the first version of SAM and while I thought it had some fitting capabilities, I wasn't overly impressed with it from a fitting perspective. Using it for putting lessons, I think SAM is excellent.

IMO, if you really want a superb putter fitting, you really need to find a teacher that knows basically ALL of the various types of putting strokes or is excellent at teaching 1 particular style of putting and is consistently able to get their students to transform their technique to what they teach.

RH

Really good stuff have you tossed around the idea if a single length MOI matched set would give you anymore of an advantage or is it once you've played progressive lengths for so long, too tough to make the switch subconsciously?

RH

Really good stuff have you tossed around the idea if a single length MOI matched set would give you anymore of an advantage or is it once you've played progressive lengths for so long, too tough to make the switch subconsciously?

Single length sets are inherently MOI matched. From what I've heard they changed around the weights of the Cobra single length set which will alter the MOI's a little. Wishon's single length set, provided you have the same shafts, grips, etc. in each club will produce a MOI matched set. I'm not sure how Edel is doing their single length concept, but if the head weights are the same and the shafts are the same...it will be MOI matched.

It's one of the reasons why people are having success with the Wishon SL irons....they are not only the same length so you don't have to adjust your swing, but the MOI is matched as well and it's their first time having the MOI matched.

RH

Does anyone know how long the special is going to run? I tried looking for fine print but could not find any on the website...

TaylorMade SIM Max 10.5* - Fujikura Ventus Black 7X
TaylorMade M5 15* - Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2TS X
Callaway 815 Alpha Hybrid 21* - Mitsubishi Tensei Pro White 90TX
Miura Baby Blade 4-P - KBS $-Taper X
Miura Wedges - 52*, 56* - KBS $-Taper X
Callaway MD4 Tactical 60*
PXG Darkness Operator