#TheWRX: The EPIC Event at Callaway Golf. 8 Members are treated to TheWRX

Wow, I finally got through this entire thread. I can only echo what so many people have said thus far. Great reviews by all - I'm not sure you could have selected a better group for this trip. Thank you all for taking time to share your experience, and answer everyone's questions. It has certainly been eye opening and refreshing to see a company have so much love for what they do, while also putting the consumer first.

I haven't considered Callaway in years, and really, for no good reason overall. Reading about the fantastic people they employ, the passion they have for the game, the freedom they're extended to R&D new equipment to attempt to revolutionize the game, and their excellent customer service certainly has made me excited about them as a company. I'll be heading to the store in the near future to check out their new line. I'm particularly interested to see how my 913D2 stacks up against the Epic.

Cobra LTDx LS - Oban Kiyoshi HB-65
Cobra F8 4w - Tour AD IZ-7s
Cobra 4h - SmacWrap 780 ES x
Cobra Forged Tec Black - AMT x100
Titleist Vokey 50/54/58 SM9
Edel E-1

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are there any photos of the used MD Forged wedges in this thread? Or will someone post them? Interested to see how the finishes, particularly the slate, hold up after use. Level of rust, colour loss etc.

Our rep had a used set with him that was worn in real well. Good solid raw rust layer and very uniform wear. I am probably gonna pick some up, I loved them they looked awesome

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1299464-bruinspatsirish-witb-march-2016-taylormade-adams-bettinardi-tee/page__p__13143444#entry13143444"]bruinsPATSirish WITB![/url]
Callaway EPIC 10.5* Tour Issue Speeder 757 X
Callaway EPIC 3 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
Callaway EPIC 5 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
TaylorMade RSi TP Irons w/ Project X 6.5
Callaway MackDaddy FORGED 52/56/60 DG TI S200
Bettinardi BB8 DASS TriSole

Wow, I finally got through this entire thread. I can only echo what so many people have said thus far. Great reviews by all - I'm not sure you could have selected a better group for this trip. Thank you all for taking time to share your experience, and answer everyone's questions. It has certainly been eye opening and refreshing to see a company have so much love for what they do, while also putting the consumer first.

I haven't considered Callaway in years, and really, for no good reason overall. Reading about the fantastic people they employ, the passion they have for the game, the freedom they're extended to R&D new equipment to attempt to revolutionize the game, and their excellent customer service certainly has made me excited about them as a company. I'll be heading to the store in the near future to check out their new line. I'm particularly interested to see how my 913D2 stacks up against the Epic.

I was the same as you. I hadn't used a Callaway club since the FT Tour. The new woods are GREAT. The irons are good. The new wedges suit my eye perfectly and if there isn't an odyssey putter that works for you then you should probably find a new hobby.

All of that aside the biggest thing I took away from the experience was the people who work for Callaway are fantastic. They love the game and it seemed to actually mean something to them seeing us have so much fun.

Whether or not I play a full Callaway bag in the future I will always be a Callaway fan because of the people.

Did any of you Epic Trip guys ask Callaway why they would refuse to change SW and/or offer different weights?

Wasn't discussed. I did hear that with the Epic if you go shorter, callaway will put a second weight in the rear track to get SW back up.

Twitter: @itsnotgriffin
Site: [url="http://www.thebottomgroove.com/"]www.thebottomgroove.com[/url]

WITB:
Callaway Big Bertha Epic 10.5
Callaway BBA 5 Wood
Callaway XR 7 Wood - Frankenstyle
Apex Hybrid 23deg
Apex Pro 5i-PW
MD3 52, 56 W-Grind
MD3 60 PM Grind
Odyssey O-Works - #1/3T (putter commitment issues)

Did any of you Epic Trip guys ask Callaway why they would refuse to change SW and/or offer different weights?

Wasn't discussed. I did hear that with the Epic if you go shorter, callaway will put a second weight in the rear track to get SW back up.

There is a video on Callaway's web site that shows the custom build process in Mexico. It is basically an assembly line for custom orders. It is not a tour van build where they take the time to build it to exact details. For that detail of a build, you would need to have the experience the Epic 8 had or go to a custom fitter like Club Champion.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5 driver w/ Project X Riptide 50 5.0
Callaway Epic Flash 3, 5, & 7 woods w/ Fujikura Pro 2.0 R2-6

Callaway Apex 21 DCB 4 iron w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0 
Callaway Apex 21 5 - AW w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0
Callaway Mack Daddy CB 56 w/ Project X Catalyst 60 5.5
Toulon Design Palm Beach Stroke Lab
Callaway Chrome Soft

I was the same as you. I hadn't used a Callaway club since the FT Tour. The new woods are GREAT. The irons are good. The new wedges suit my eye perfectly and if there isn't an odyssey putter that works for you then you should probably find a new hobby.

All of that aside the biggest thing I took away from the experience was the people who work for Callaway are fantastic. They love the game and it seemed to actually mean something to them seeing us have so much fun.

Whether or not I play a full Callaway bag in the future I will always be a Callaway fan because of the people.

Excellent post. I feel the same way. They went out of their way to make sure we were taken care of. They all seem to love working for Callaway and take pride in the products and customer service they provide

Thanks for the kind words!

Please let us know how the Epic works for you versus your 913D2.

To be fair, no OEM builds to a requested SW, except Ping if you pay for it. They try to build to Web Site specs at best, or maybe use small tip weights to get the set consistent, but not a specific weight. Always a bummer for me working at Big Box for 6 years that couldn't get it heavier if needed. No issue now where I work, have guys that build to my client's specs all day!!

Callaway Mavrik SZ 9.0 VA Composites Nemesys 65 04
Callaway Mavrik SZ 15 VA Composites Nemesys 75 04
Callaway Mavrik Pro Hybrid 18* Veylix Rome 888 S
Callaway 2019 Apex Pro DOT 4-PW Mits MMT 125 TX/ Vega Mizar Tour Oban CT 115 X
Odyssey WHP #3-Stability Tour, Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5, Toulon Long Island Garage-Stability Shaft
Callaway MD5 Jaws Tour Grey 50/54/58 and  Cobra Tour Versatile 50/54/58 Mitsubishi MMT 125TX Graphite
Lamkin Sonar Plus Wrap

WITB Link

To be fair, no OEM builds to a requested SW, except Ping if you pay for it. They try to build to Web Site specs at best, or maybe use small tip weights to get the set consistent, but not a specific weight. Always a bummer for me working at Big Box for 6 years that couldn't get it heavier if needed. No issue now where I work, have guys that build to my client's specs all day!!

Actually Ping will do it for free when you are initially purchasing irons. And yes for a fee after the fact.

Stay Tuned...

If you order a Titleist driver 1/2" short then they pop in a heavier weight to get back the stock SW and you're good to go.

It's no rocket science...

If you order a Titleist driver 1/2" short then they pop in a heavier weight to get back the stock SW and you're good to go.

Not rocket science, but most oems don't take a swing weight request at all. so you are either buying the weight somewhere or looking for it after the fact. They just don't have the man power to build every set to specific swing weights. Drivers can be easier with hot melt or lead tape but the OEM's don't go out of their way to usually do it. seems like Callaway is at least doing something to try and get it more on point. Not everyone has access to the weights that the OEM's use to tailor to the pro's or even the weights that the fitters have access to sometimes.

Basically if want to get a certain SW for a set of irons or driver, you are on your own 90% of the time.

Callaway Mavrik SZ 9.0 VA Composites Nemesys 65 04
Callaway Mavrik SZ 15 VA Composites Nemesys 75 04
Callaway Mavrik Pro Hybrid 18* Veylix Rome 888 S
Callaway 2019 Apex Pro DOT 4-PW Mits MMT 125 TX/ Vega Mizar Tour Oban CT 115 X
Odyssey WHP #3-Stability Tour, Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5, Toulon Long Island Garage-Stability Shaft
Callaway MD5 Jaws Tour Grey 50/54/58 and  Cobra Tour Versatile 50/54/58 Mitsubishi MMT 125TX Graphite
Lamkin Sonar Plus Wrap

WITB Link

Not rocket science, but most oems don't take a swing weight request at all. so you are either buying the weight somewhere or looking for it after the fact. They just don't have the man power to build every set to specific swing weights. Drivers can be easier with hot melt or lead tape but the OEM's don't go out of their way to usually do it. seems like Callaway is at least doing something to try and get it more on point. Not everyone has access to the weights that the OEM's use to tailor to the pro's or even the weights that the fitters have access to sometimes.

Basically if want to get a certain SW for a set of irons or driver, you are on your own 90% of the time.

But also to note most if not all manufactures have 3 different heads they use that very in weight. The use the lighter for extended length clubs and heavier for shorter than standard.

Ping adjusts the weight in the tuning port to get as close to stock weight at a specified length as possible.

Stay Tuned...

those wedges look awesome, did u demo

[size=4][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][b]DRIVER[/b]- Callaway Rogue Oban Tour Limited 60s
[b]3 WOOD[/b]- GBB Epic Oban Kiyoshi Gold 75s
[b]HYBRID[/b]- Titleist 818 H1 19/23 Hybrid Atmos HB Tour Spec 85s
[b]IRONS[/b]- Srixon 765/565 Nippon Modus 105s
[b]GAP[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 52 Modus 105
[b]SAND[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 54 Modus 105
[b]LOB[/b]- Callaway MD3 Chrome 58 Modus 105
[b]PUTTER[/b]- Bettinardi Queen Bee #6
[b]BALL[/b]- Callaway Chrome Soft X[/font][/size]

like the blue paint fill, looks sharp, nice wedges.

I agree, I like the blue much more than the green from the previous line.

Absolutely beautiful looking wedges. Make sure you hit them as good as they look.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5 driver w/ Project X Riptide 50 5.0
Callaway Epic Flash 3, 5, & 7 woods w/ Fujikura Pro 2.0 R2-6

Callaway Apex 21 DCB 4 iron w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0 
Callaway Apex 21 5 - AW w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0
Callaway Mack Daddy CB 56 w/ Project X Catalyst 60 5.5
Toulon Design Palm Beach Stroke Lab
Callaway Chrome Soft

Nice looking wedges! They could of left the chevron symbol off and just have the Callaway chevron on the toe.

Will the slate rust? I hope so!

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s

T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 50/12F KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 54/10S KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 58/08M KBS Tour

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto 
Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

Nice looking wedges! They could of left the chevron symbol off and just have the Callaway chevron on the toe.

Will the slate rust? I hope so!

Yes, the slate will rust.

YES!

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s

T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 50/12F KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 54/10S KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 58/08M KBS Tour

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto 
Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

the blue is a big improvement and i really like the straight leading edge and slightly less offset the md3

[size=4][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][b]DRIVER[/b]- Callaway Rogue Oban Tour Limited 60s
[b]3 WOOD[/b]- GBB Epic Oban Kiyoshi Gold 75s
[b]HYBRID[/b]- Titleist 818 H1 19/23 Hybrid Atmos HB Tour Spec 85s
[b]IRONS[/b]- Srixon 765/565 Nippon Modus 105s
[b]GAP[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 52 Modus 105
[b]SAND[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 54 Modus 105
[b]LOB[/b]- Callaway MD3 Chrome 58 Modus 105
[b]PUTTER[/b]- Bettinardi Queen Bee #6
[b]BALL[/b]- Callaway Chrome Soft X[/font][/size]

damn those wedges look amazing...may be time to switch back

Financial Advisor (PM me)

Driver: Epic SZ 9*. Fuji Tour Spec VC 7.2 X + Tensei Orange V2 TX
Fairway Wood: Epic SZ 13.5* Hzrdus Black 6.5 85g (In search of Fuji Tour Spec VC 8.2 or Atmos Black 80 TX)
Hybrid: Titleist H2 19* w/ Whiteboard 90x (In search of Fuji Tour Spec VC)
Irons: Miura/Steel Fiber 110
Wedges: Titleist SM5 56, SM6 52
Putter: Bettinardi Queen Bee #6
Ball: ProV1x/Callaway Chrome

2015 Evo X (Full Bolt Ons)
2017 Jeep Wrangler

Apologies if this has been discussed ad nauseam... but did you guys find that the SZ fairway was pretty easy to elevate? I'm trying to decide between the 15* and 13.5*. I know I can turn the 15 down some, but if I"m gonna be getting close to 13.5 anyway, I'd just assume the shaft graphics be in the standard loft.

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5° | Tensei Pro Orange 60s

Taylormade BRNR Mini 13.5° | Hzrdus Yellow 75 6.5

Callaway Apex UW 19° | Tour AD TP 7s

Callaway XR Pro 23° | Tour AD DI 95x
Mizuno Pro 225 5-PW | Dynamic Gold 120 S300
Cleveland RTX 6: 50° 56° 60° | KBS Tour Custom 120s Black 

L.A.B. DF 3 Counterbalance 37.5" | TPT Putter Shaft