2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

DJ Watts' Swing Principles/Philosophy

DJ Watts

[quote name='DJ Watts' timestamp='1399043527' post='9218047']
[quote name='HitEmTrue' timestamp='1399041850' post='9217889']
[quote name='Chief Cowpie' timestamp='1399035385' post='9217111']
The advantage of the wait as I told a fellow met on the course yesterday who had an upright swing, is if someone was going to pick up a golf club and swing it, without a lesson, an upright swing would ensue, much like what's seen in Jack or Bubba or John Daly. Now, before I get plastered to ceiling, yes Jack had lessons but it was only to groom this natural athletic swing he already had. A flat swing, on the other hand, is a taught swing. Is not a natural motion but is taught. And so the big advantage of the classic swing, much like Payne Stewart's which has a thread going now is it flows from natural movement. Can Mother Nature be wrong?
[/quote]

Now we should watch all the beginners on the range, and model after them. Fantastic.
[/quote]

Hi HitEmTrue,

Not quite what you say, but here are three swingers who had very little teaching between the three of them, and look at their address stance and posture. Very little leg bend, more erect, and relaxed spines.

[attachment=2205085:posture dtl.jpg]

The first two built their own swings, the third needed only yearly tune-ups from his coach.

I'd say these are three pretty good swings to model, what would you say?

Best,

DJ
[/quote]
Im sure this will be ignored as my multiple other comments regarding the swing (see actual video evidence of position earlier in this thread), but how tall you stand does not solely dictate your swing plane. I do not feel that there is one plane that is correct for all players (Mr Clark has an excellent cover article on this site right now about this), but I can tell you that coming into the ball steeper than your backswing and extending early and changing your spine angle is a lot worse for your spine than a swing without those elements. I expect no response here as is tradition in this thread with any legitimate points that contradict what is being "taught" by Dj. It seems more important to talk about how to grow mushrooms for cow turds.

Cheers

Cally Epic SZ, Cally 815 alpha FW, Cally alpha 815 3 and 4 hybrid, Apex Pro 5-Aw, callaway md2 54, callaway md2 58, Xenon Custom Copper Bullseye

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='thegooddoctor' timestamp='1399052750' post='9219037']
[quote name='DJ Watts' timestamp='1399043527' post='9218047']
[quote name='HitEmTrue' timestamp='1399041850' post='9217889']
The advantage of the wait as I told a fellow met on the course yesterday who had an upright swing, is if someone was going to pick up a golf club and swing it, without a lesson, an upright swing would ensue, much like what's seen in Jack or Bubba or John Daly. Now, before I get plastered to ceiling, yes Jack had lessons but it was only to groom this natural athletic swing he already had. A flat swing, on the other hand, is a taught swing. Is not a natural motion but is taught. And so the big advantage of the classic swing, much like Payne Stewart's which has a thread going now is it flows from natural movement. Can Mother Nature be wrong?
[/quote]

Now we should watch all the beginners on the range, and model after them. Fantastic.
[/quote]

Hi HitEmTrue,

Not quite what you say, but here are three swingers who had very little teaching between the three of them, and look at their address stance and posture. Very little leg bend, more erect, and relaxed spines.

[attachment=2205085:posture dtl.jpg]

The first two built their own swings, the third needed only yearly tune-ups from his coach.

I'd say these are three pretty good swings to model, what would you say?

Best,

DJ
[/quote]
Im sure this will be ignored as my multiple other comments regarding the swing (see actual video evidence of position earlier in this thread), but how tall you stand does not solely dictate your swing plane. I do not feel that there is one plane that is correct for all players (Mr Clark has an excellent cover article on this site right now about this), but I can tell you that coming into the ball steeper than your backswing and extending early and changing your spine angle is a lot worse for your spine than a swing without those elements. I expect no response here as is tradition in this thread with any legitimate points that contradict what is being "taught" by Dj. It seems more important to talk about how to grow mushrooms for cow turds.

Cheers
[/quote]

thegooddoctor

I don't respond to your comments because they don't have anything to do with what I say. I say a more erect stance and posture is how the old time golfers swung, that's how I swing, period. [b][i] I've never equated the erect stance with any specific swing plane[/i][/b]. Perhaps others have, and perhaps you should be addressing them.

But if you insist on arguing with yourself about things I've never said, go right ahead, and I'll continue to ignore you.

Best,

DJ

I like how DJ can just pull crap completely out of his arse and then destroy it like a ninja.

Jack had lessons, many many of them from the time he began. But don't let that interfere with your notion, carry on, make up some more bullchit.

And we will pretend that Jack never worked with Jim Flick or Rick Smith ever in his career. He was just trying to swing a stick like he did as a young lad. It sounds so much more romantic.

Ping G430 Max 9* Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X
Ping G425 Max 14.5 Alta CB 65S
Callaway Rogue ST Max 18* Tensei Blue 75S

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Titleist SM9  52*F 56*D and 60*D
L.A.B. Link1/Scotty Newport
Srixon Z Star XV

DJ,
I am sorry if I jumped to that conclusion without it being it writing.

However,

1. how about my comments comparing your swing to vijay's who has had multiple back issues and does not have scoliosis?
2. or that the early extension/steepening of the club in your swing is actually harder on your back then a swing without that move?
3. Or my comments and videos posted regarding the players you have admonished for not lifting the trail foot at impact with the foot lifted at impact?
4. Or my video showing Phil Michelson (who you have put up as an example of your swing ideal) with a flat back foot at impact?

As i said in my very first post in this thread there is no 1 way to swing but nearly all the great ball strickers have positions right before and right after contact that are remarkably similar/same, and your current swing is not hitting those positions.

Cally Epic SZ, Cally 815 alpha FW, Cally alpha 815 3 and 4 hybrid, Apex Pro 5-Aw, callaway md2 54, callaway md2 58, Xenon Custom Copper Bullseye

[quote name='thegooddoctor' timestamp='1399053755' post='9219145']
DJ,
I am sorry if I jumped to that conclusion without it being it writing.

However,

1. how about my comments comparing your swing to vijay's who has had multiple back issues and does not have scoliosis?
2. or that the early extension/steepening of the club in your swing is actually harder on your back then a swing without that move?
3. Or my comments and videos posted regarding the players you have admonished for not lifting the trail foot at impact with the foot lifted at impact?
4. Or my video showing Phil Michelson (who you have put up as an example of your swing ideal) with a flat back foot at impact?

As i said in my very first post in this thread there is no 1 way to swing but nearly all the great ball strickers have positions right before and right after contact that are remarkably similar/same, and your current swing is not hitting those positions.
[/quote]
As expected crickets!!

[quote name='limcauco' timestamp='1399032206' post='9216895']

What's the advantages of the wait?
[/quote]

For one, I have no problem with the timing most of the time and Jack doesn't seem to have had one either, all of the time.

But as well, I do take exception to the idea that folks with a flatter swing don't have timing issues.
[/quote]

Yeah it may be the 1st thing that comes to mind of a beginner bec subconscious tells them to get hands higher, but if you can get hands lower and eliminate the wait, why not? If the beginner is properly taught of the necessary element to use lower hands on top, it eliminates the wait and the timing associated with it.

I read the latest comments each day, and some have been truly weird, the poop thread as example. I watched some videos, and DJ and the Chief are channeling Mike Austin. After all my years on here, I had never heard of Mike Austin, but that's where this stuff comes from. DJ and Austin even have similar looking swings. Austin was a boxing coach, golf pro, taught tennis and baseball. Maybe an interesting man, but not a groundbreaking instructor. The weakness I have seen with DJ is that he never gives a system about gripping the club, or what constitutes standing erect, or how to create room for the arms to work. FWP's kid had a far better looking action than DJ, and as a point of interest, scoliosis can be fixed.

Its time for me to take a leave of absinthe. My apologies to all those who I have disrespected, especially Hstead. My deepest heartfelt apologies and as well as to all of you who had to read me going ape. And yes, I have learned something here, that has given me some good results out on the course such as Fort Worth Pro taking the good time to demonstrate with videos what is the "power squat." He is not only the consummate golf pro but a gentleman as well. Such things as well are in the Austin/DJ Watts system but was a little rusty in getting it going as well as a deeper appreciation of the universality of this move. Ultimately I don't know what it is to be gained in having a conversation where there aren't amicable feelings around but I can only take responsibility for my part in losing it and so again, my apologies. Religion and politics have always been considered poor choices of conversation at cocktail parties and now I know golf swing theory can be added to the list.

I love you all.

[quote name='Hstead' timestamp='1399053597' post='9219131']
I like how DJ can just pull crap completely out of his arse and then destroy it like a ninja.

Jack had lessons, many many of them from the time he began. But don't let that interfere with your notion, carry on, make up some more bullchit.

And we will pretend that Jack never worked with Jim Flick or Rick Smith ever in his career. He was just trying to swing a stick like he did as a young lad. It sounds so much more romantic.
[/quote]

DJ,

You have demonstrated a swing that works for you and I think therein lies the value of why people are interested in your thoughts. Arguing for or against something truly stimulates the learning process and you certainly are up to the task. I respect that.

Where you seem to get yourself in trouble is when you bring up "the greats" and other professional golfers to support your swing theories. At the very least do a bit more research before throwing things out there that can easily be refuted. It clouds and degrades your message...

[quote name='Chief Cowpie' timestamp='1399112648' post='9223055']
Its time for me to take a leave of absinthe. My apologies to all those who I have disrespected, especially Hstead. My deepest heartfelt apologies and as well as to all of you who had to read me going ape. And yes, I have learned something here, that has given me some good results out on the course such as Fort Worth Pro taking the good time to demonstrate with videos what is the "power squat." He is not only the consummate golf pro but a gentleman as well. Such things as well are in the Austin/DJ Watts system but was a little rusty in getting it going as well as a deeper appreciation of the universality of this move. Ultimately I don't know what it is to be gained in having a conversation where there aren't amicable feelings around but I can only take responsibility for my part in losing it and so again, my apologies. Religion and politics have always been considered poor choices of conversation at cocktail parties and now I know golf swing theory can be added to the list.

I love you all.
[/quote]

But what about your poop?

Wishon 919 THI 11* 0.5* Open
Wishon 929 HS 14.5*, 19* 0.5 Open
Wishon 775HS 22*, 25*
Wishon 5, 6 560 MC 7-PW MMC MB
Wishon 54, 59 Micro-Groove HM
All shafts are S2S Stepless Steel Wishon

• 2 years later...

Just read through several pages of this thread for the first time. Was inspired to do so after hearing Frank Nobilo discussing DJ and Jamie Sadlowski. For those who doubted his credibility I wonder how many of you have been touted on Golf Channel?

ROFLMAO > You think Nobilo was maybe possibly talking about the real, PGA Pro DJ, as in DUSTIN JOHNSON and Sadlowski?

Wow, I wonder sometimes how some people can even manage to walk across a street without getting killed. Nice two year old BUMP thinking your internet swing guru was mentioned on TV because he shares initials with a PGA Pro,

Taylormade R11 9° Diamana™ S 62
Sub 70 639-CB 4-PW, KBS Tour 120 S
Wilson FG PMP wedges 52° & 56°, DG S400

Star Sidewinder Black grips - standard + 2 wraps
Tommy Armour Impact #3 Putter 34"
Callaway Chrome Soft golf balls

ROFLMAO > You think Nobilo was maybe possibly talking about the real, PGA Pro DJ, as in DUSTIN JOHNSON and Sadlowski?

Wow, I wonder sometimes how some people can even manage to walk across a street without getting killed. Nice two year old BUMP thinking your internet swing guru was mentioned on TV because he shares initials with a PGA Pro,

That would indeed be more believable, except that Nobilo said "a friend of mine from Canada, DJ Watts"

That would indeed be more believable, except that Nobilo said "a friend of mine from Canada, DJ Watts"

Sounds exactly like a nightmare I had once. Was Frank wearing a tie with no shirt on in yours too?

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5 HZRDUS Smoke iM10 Green 60 TX 45.9" D3

Driver 2: Taylormade Burner Mini 11.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 X D5

Fairway: PXG 0311XF Gen 5 4 Wood; Smoke iM10 Green 70 TX D6

Irons: PXG 0317X; PXG 0311T Gen 5; 5-GW DG 105 X D7

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56 S Grind;  Cleveland RTX Full Face 64 DG 120 X E0

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Raptor 38” Wristlock Grip