2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Dizz aka J.W. WITB for 2018 (Added new WITB pics on 6/16/2018!!)

Dizz

What prompted the switch from golf pro to not even hitting a putt for 18 months? I can see not liking the business but not getting out with buddies every now and then seems crazy. Hopefully whoever bought your wedge sees this bumped, good to see you back.

Well I was in two car accidents and the second one was really bad. I ended up having two back surgeries in total and the game was no fun playing in pain. I was not in it 100% before the really bad back stuff and just overall not enjoying work anymore in the golf business. I have a lot of education to fall back on so I told myself if I ever got to the point where I didn't enjoy my job anymore then I was done. Hating work is no way to go through life in my opinion-- especially if you have other options.

I'm making a lot more money now than I did in golf and I actually enjoy going to work again. Golf was my life for 20+ years so it was nice to get away for 18 months-- I feel like I got the bug again a little bit so I'm excited to start playing again.

[b]XHP 3-Deep (13)- 7.3X @ 43.5”
X-Forged UT (#3- 21)- DG X700
716MB (5-PW)- DG S400
Vokey (TVD SM7 RAW 52 & SM6 RAW 58)- DG S400
Cameron Napa California @ 34"[/b]

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Today, I made my first step toward playing golf again with the purchase of some new sticks. About 6 months I ago I purchased a brand new Scotty Cameron Teryllium Santa Fe from an old friend of mine and I actually forgot about it. He got a job offer on VERY short notice to move to England and he took it-- so all his extra stuff had to go. I had an iPod that was about 6 months old so he texted me knowing that I loved that Sana Fe (especially one brand new and original- although no grip on it) to trade because he had to get rid of all his extras for the move. So technically before today I had one golf club.

I figure I will probably add clubs as I see fit once my game starts to get back in shape again-- and actually see how my swing feels after taking 18+ months off from not even swinging a club once. No that is NOT an exaggeration-- I literally did not swing the club once. So anyway, I ordered: Titleist 716MB 5-9 and SM6 (48F) and (56S) to start and I'll work more stuff in from there. I am playing in two 9 hole golf leagues for sure and both courses are just normal, short, local muni-esque type places where I will be hitting driver-short iron into most holes and the par 5's are ~500 yards. So technically all I need is a driver and I will actually be able to play a round and get along just fine. I'm sure sooner than later I will at least add some sort of 4 iron and a wedge between 48 and 56.. But until then I know with those 9 clubs I will be able to score just fine.

I started with a set of MB's because they look sweet, feel sweet and well.... because I just wanted them!!

716MB (5-PW)- DG S400

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, good to see you back. I wish I had your wedge....I love the K grind! You have liked a lot of titleist stuff in the past, do you have any loyalties to any brands now?

PING G410 9 Flat(HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5/Ventus Black 7x)
PING G410 14.5 (HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5)
PING G425 LST 14.5 (Speeder Tour Spec 7.2x)

PING G410 17.5 (HZRDUS T1100 85g 6.5)

NIKE Vapor Fly 20* Iron (Modus105x HS)

PING i500 20* iron (DG105x100)

P7TW 3-PW (DGX7)

52 milled grind (DGX7)  / Vokey TVD K 58 (DGX7)
TM Spider Armlock/SIK Armlock

• 3 weeks later...

JW

Welcome back. I also went through a similar situation (minus the car crashes but I am glad your'e alright!) where I had a huge burnout from the game and didnt touch a club for a year and a half. It was the best thing I ever did golf wise. I slowly inched my way back into and decided to take a completely different approach to the game. No more swing thoughts, frustration, or negative thoughts while I was playing. My main goals are to have fun and also compete for my passion for the game (since I will always be a competitor at heart). Take baby steps, make the game fun, drink a few too many beers with your buddy's on the weekend and don't add up the score. I hope your renewed passion helps you enjoy the game again. I never realized how big golf was in my life until I stepped away.

Funny story, I was in the market for a new 56 degree and I stumbled across pictures of your 56k online and ordered a wide sole, low bounce fourteen wedge.

Hope you find your trusty wedge!

BHG

WITB:

Who knows?

• 3 weeks later...

Sort of a re-do from my January 19, 2017 post-- I never did pull the trigger back then... I had been in talks with a golf shop about ordering those new sticks and I never did pull the trigger.

BUT-- yesterday I FINALLY did it!! I am starting over completely 100% as most of you know and I had gotten rid of everything that I owned. Well, back in January with that post I did order a brand new PING G20 8.5 degree driver with a stock shaft for $99 on eBay and after wagging it every few days walking by it in my den I decided to send it away to an old friend that does amazing club work for a Dynamic Gold X100 @ 43.5" so that was my only club.

However yesterday I added a custom Titleist "combo" set-- 716 T-MB (4) and MB (5-PW) with Dynamic Gold S400's and Tour Velvet 580R grips. Then he talked me into adding a sand wedge too so that I would at least have enough clubs to play... decided to go with a RAW SM6 58K and bend it to 57 degrees. It should be a perfect 100 yard club for me and it will probably be my weakest club in the bag. If I decide I need something else I can add a 51-53 degree wedge and bend that back to 58. So as it sits I will being going from a 48 degree PW to a 57 degree sand wedge...

So right now my Titleist Sunday bag consists of:

PING G20 (8.5)- X100 @ 43.5"

Titleist 716 T-MB (4), 716 MB (5-PW)- S400

Titleist Vokey SM6 RAW (58K @ 57 degrees)- S400

Scotty Cameron Newport @ 34"

I am now good for my golf league to start in a few weeks because I have enough to actually play! I will be adding an Anser 17 for sure.

716MB (5-PW)- DG S400

Wow, good to see you back. I wish I had your wedge....I love the K grind! You have liked a lot of titleist stuff in the past, do you have any loyalties to any brands now?

I was sponsored by Titleist for a long time-- but I always played their stuff before I was in the business too. I've pretty much always played the same stuff in one shape or form-- PING or Titleist woods, Titleist irons and wedges with the occasional set of PING irons that would never make it longer than a couple months. Also played EYE2 wedges for years as well. Then usually some form of Cameron putter with the random high MOI putter sprinkled in when I would get bored looking at a Newport head.

So I've pretty much played the same stuff for the last 15 years.

I think once I have ten clubs it'll be enough to play.

716MB (5-PW)- DG S400

Welcome back! Missed your posts.

Thanks Bob, I appreciate that. How is your game these days? Where are you playing in Ohio these days? What's in your bag these days?

716MB (5-PW)- DG S400

I decided last minute to go a different route with the wedge... I ordered a Vokey SM6 RAW-K 58 bent to 57. Its going to be my one wedge to start the year so I will be going from a 48 degree PW to a 57 degree SW. I figure if I decide to add an additional wedge I can always bend that one back to 58 or 59 degrees and add one (or two) in the 51-55 degree range. However right now I am trying to make my bag as simple as possible since I haven't really even swung a club in 2 years. I love the raw finish, love that K grind and at 57 degrees it should be a perfect 100 yard club for me I would think... I also thought that it would be pretty close to the Tour Van K I had that was my favorite club of all time which was 56 degrees in loft and 10 degrees in bounce. This one is not too far off at 57 and 11...

So by the time my opening night for league rolls around I will have at least ten clubs...

Pictures to come very soon. I am thinking of ordering a Titleist 917D2 and being done with it. I am out of the loop these days guys-- I was always in between 8.5 and 9.5 degree stamped head with Titleist but always leaned toward the 8.5 because I thought they always tend to spin a bit more than other manufacturers.

Should I go 917D2 8.5 or 9.5? OR should I scrap the idea completely and get a new TaylorMade, PING or Callaway driver? I can't see myself playing a steel shafted PING G20 all season... LOL. Although I will definitely have an Anser 17 degree hybrid in my possession soon and that one might not leave the bag all year.

Help a retired golf pro/club fitter out that no longer has access to a launch monitor or the best of the best fitting carts.

I will say this though-- as fun as it was to get piles of clubs for free over the years... I will take the 4x salary increase and pay for my sticks.... LOL.

716MB (5-PW)- DG S400

Welcome back! Missed your posts.

Thanks Bob, I appreciate that. How is your game these days? Where are you playing in Ohio these days? What's in your bag these days?

Game is good, mostly playing around me Shale Creek, Big Met, Sleepy Hollow. Nike Irons, trying out the Epic SZ. Heading to Florida next week for a much needed vacation.

TM Stealth 2+ 10.5deg Hzrdus Smoke 4G Black 60 6.0

Titleist TSi2 16.5deg Hzrdus Smoke Black 70 6.0

TM Stealth 2+ 3 Hybrid Project X Black 80 stiff

TM P770 5-AW DG 105 S300

TM MG4 54/58 DG 105 S300

SC Newport Select 34" (rotate them)

TM TP5X

Dizz

I was a HUGE Titleist guy for a long time. I mean I wouldn't even play it if it didnt say Titleist on the back of it. However, I hit a friends 2016 M2 and that is by far and away the best driver I have ever hit and know own. I loved my 909 D2 with an 83x whiteboard in it and regretted selling it ever since, but the M2 has now taken over as my all time favorite. I truly will be bagging this one until it cracks, then proceed to buy another one. Not just trying to blow smoke up TMAG's you know what, but they legitimately have the best clubs on the market currently. If you find a M2 head, PM as I have a Rogue Black 60 gram x stiff sitting at home that I will give you a tremendous deal on. Glad to have you posting again, one of the better members on this forum!

WITB:

Who knows?

So which slots in the bag are you wanting? What u need shaft and head recommendactions? Etc? Do you have any priorities as far as forgiveness or distance? Need more detail to give you a rec....thx

P7TW 3-PW (DGX7)

So which slots in the bag are you wanting? What u need shaft and head recommendactions? Etc? Do you have any priorities as far as forgiveness or distance? Need more detail to give you a rec....thx

I just meant with the driver... I know what works and what I like for my swing... however I don't know much about the 917 stuff as far as launch/spin go. I have the 4-PW, SW and putter picked out and ordered along with the Sunday bag... So to start the season I really just want a new driver and then I'll have enough to play and be happy and I'll add clubs how I see fit as I go. I know I want to add the Anser 17 hybrid and after that it will definitely be a wedge or two.

BUT as of right now just trying to figure out if I should go 917D2... and if so does it spin less than the 915D2? I was always in between the 8.5 and 9.5 D2 heads based on spin. Or should I scrap the 917 idea and get a PING, TaylorMade or Callaway driver because they're that much better?

716MB (5-PW)- DG S400

Feels strange giving you advice, as it was me always asking you questions before. If you stay in Titleist I would suggest going 8.5*.

917 D3 8.5 Xphlexx Agera Orange RF Proto
SLDR Mini 12 Evo Speeder TS 757x
SLDR Mini 15.8 Rogue Black 110 80TX
Srixon 765 4-6 PX LZ 6.0
Srixon 965 7-PW PX LZ 6.0
Mizuno T7 50 PX LZ 6.0
Vokey TVD 54V & 58V
Bettinardi Studio Stock 14 or Odyssey O-works 7

I just meant with the driver... I know what works and what I like for my swing... however I don't know much about the 917 stuff as far as launch/spin go. I have the 4-PW, SW and putter picked out and ordered along with the Sunday bag... So to start the season I really just want a new driver and then I'll have enough to play and be happy and I'll add clubs how I see fit as I go. I know I want to add the Anser 17 hybrid and after that it will definitely be a wedge or two.

BUT as of right now just trying to figure out if I should go 917D2... and if so does it spin less than the 915D2? I was always in between the 8.5 and 9.5 D2 heads based on spin. Or should I scrap the 917 idea and get a PING, TaylorMade or Callaway driver because they're that much better?

I'd try to hit the others. Some potential distance gains and the Ping would probably be more forgiving. If your not playing as much I'd personally grab a ping and call it a day.

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

pm sent. Are you going to try any before you buy or just ordering?

P7TW 3-PW (DGX7)

I decided to order a new big stick! I went with the TaylorMade 2017 M1 460 8.5 with Fujikura Speeder 661 @ 45.5"... decided to go with the standard 45.5" length. This will be the first driver I've ever had over 45"... I always played them at 44.5" or 44.75" in the past. However I know I am going to add the Anser 17 hybrid at some point and knowing how far I've always hit that club it makes sense to me to go all out with the driver for length. Plus the M1 460 head is plenty forgiving. I couldn't get myself to pull the trigger on a few of the upcharge shaft options just yet though knowing as much as I know about shafts I just couldn't see the value in spending $200+ for a shaft that isn't going to change anything except the look.

I decided on the 8.5 degree head and that was the biggest question mark for me.... 8.5 or 9.5? Ultimately I decided on the 8.5 because I highly doubt I will ever use the "lower" setting because I do not want to open the face any further than it already is... so we shall see.

I also ordered a 2016 Cameron Newport @ 34"... the order won't be fully placed until Monday so does anyone know what grips you can choose from these days with the Camerons? When I was in the biz you could get the Studio Design black or red, Baby T black or red, Cord no Cord that came on the California line from several years ago or the Winn Baby T. I have always been a huge fan of the California Cord no Cord but I actually forgot to ask about that. I will probably just get the stock Winn Matador or whatever it is but I would be very interested in the CNC... anyone know if you can still customize the grip with this line?

Thanks!!

JW

716MB (5-PW)- DG S400

I snapped a couple quick pics of the new weapons... I love the way they look, especially in the Sunday Bag...

I hit 30 balls after work today-- mostly with the short irons but I did hit a handful of 5 and 6 irons as well. I also hit the 4 iron (T-MB) both off the fairway and a short tee-- I had no idea how hot these things flew and I'm thrilled that I decided to get it in the 4 iron. I can't believe how good my swing felt today after not swinging at all for nearly 2 years. The last time I swung a golf club or even so much as hit a chip or a putt was when I played 9 holes with a couple friends which was May 15, 2015.

My sand wedge and putter are en route so now just waiting for the driver. A few friends and myself have an early morning tee time on April 9 this year-- Masters Sunday!! It actually feels really good to have the golf "bug" again and I can't wait to play on Masters Sunday... you have no idea how good it feels to be on the other side of the counter now. I always used to be jealous of the guys teeing it up on a day like Masters Sunday while I was stuck working in the shop or on the lesson/fitting tee.

I think I will be good with just 10 clubs for now (Driver, 4-PW, SW, putter)... what do you guys think? Do you think you could play with just ten clubs? How much do you think it would affect your scoring?

716MB (5-PW)- DG S400

Honestly it won't change your scoring that much

Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 7*........................Project X Smoke Green 60 TX
Taylormade Stealth Plus 13*.........................Fujikura Ventus Black 8X
Taylormade Stealth Plus 17*.........................Fujikura Ventus Black 9X

Srixon ZX Utility 3..........................................Fujikura Ventus Black 10TX
Srixon ZX Utility 4..........................................Dynamic Gold X7
Srixon ZX7 5-9...............................................Dynamic Gold X7
Cleveland Zipcore Raw 47, 53......................Dynamic Gold X7

Vokey Wedge Works V Grind 59..................Dynamic Gold S400
Yes! Ann.........................................................KBS GPS 120

you will find a way to make it work

great bag so far, like the direction its heading

PING G425 LST 9* | Kuro Kage TiNi DC 60 X
Taylormade M2 15* | RIP Beta 70 X

Callaway XHP 21* | RIP Alpha 90 X
*** Irons: OPEN *** 

Cleveland RTX 4 52/56* (mid) | DGS400
Titleist Vokey SM8 60*K | DGS400
Scotty Cameron Special Select FB 5.5 35"

I snapped a couple quick pics of the new weapons... I love the way they look, especially in the Sunday Bag...

I hit 30 balls after work today-- mostly with the short irons but I did hit a handful of 5 and 6 irons as well. I also hit the 4 iron (T-MB) both off the fairway and a short tee-- I had no idea how hot these things flew and I'm thrilled that I decided to get it in the 4 iron. I can't believe how good my swing felt today after not swinging at all for nearly 2 years. The last time I swung a golf club or even so much as hit a chip or a putt was when I played 9 holes with a couple friends which was May 15, 2015.

My sand wedge and putter are en route so now just waiting for the driver. A few friends and myself have an early morning tee time on April 9 this year-- Masters Sunday!! It actually feels really good to have the golf "bug" again and I can't wait to play on Masters Sunday... you have no idea how good it feels to be on the other side of the counter now. I always used to be jealous of the guys teeing it up on a day like Masters Sunday while I was stuck working in the shop or on the lesson/fitting tee.

I think I will be good with just 10 clubs for now (Driver, 4-PW, SW, putter)... what do you guys think? Do you think you could play with just ten clubs? How much do you think it would affect your scoring?

I would miss the extra wedge choices for chips around the green. Other than that I think I would actually score the same. I hurt myself on a lot of par 5s trying to reach it in two and putting the second shot in a position that isn't a high percentage up and down. Forcing myself to lay up would probably help.

10.5* G430 Max Diamana BF 60

15* G430 Max Diamana Ahina 70

21* Apex UW Diamana Ilima 80
22* (bent 23*) X Forged UT KBS Proto

Apex   MB 5-PW $-Taper 

Vokey SM9 Raw 50F, 56F, 60T

Toulon La Grange SB w/ KBS CT Tour

Jones Players Series 003

I picked up a Scotty Cameron TeI3 Newport 2 @ 35" from a buddy of mine that had three of them in his collection. Its all original-- never been refinished... man its a cool stick. I had one of these in my junior golf days that I loved... won my first tournament as a kid with this same putter.

My driver should be here Saturday or Monday-- that will put me at 10 clubs and ready for my round next Sunday morning.

716MB (5-PW)- DG S400