Club champion fitting

jut111

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Club Champion putter fitting was pretty subpar. I left without a clear recommendation or real good understanding of my stroke.

It was basically a guy handing me putters and watching me hit 5-10 footers, which I could have done at a PGA store. They also had no Odyssey putters, no Ping putters, just mostly high end (tons of Scottys) but nothing like an Edel either. First he recommended a Scotty Cameron m1, and when I said I didn't really love the feel of it, he switched me to a Toulon Memphis.

I'd really like to do another putter fitting somewhere else just to make sure my two putters are to my best spec...but I'm afraid to waste money again.

Titleist TSR2 // Autoflex SF505

Titleist TSR2 16.5 // Vista Pro 60s

Ping G25 20, 23 // Tour AD True Spec

Titleist T200/T150 5-GW // Steelfiber i80PR

Titleist SM9 54.10, 58.12 // Steelfiber i80r

L.A.B. Golf DF3 // L.A.B. x TPT

Edel putter fitting is pretty new for some of the CC locations. Mine got theirs within the couple months.

While their putter fitting isn't super in depth, I learned enough from their walkthrough of the SAM data to know that I needed face balanced blade putter or a heel down blade putter to help with my stroke. I ended up with an Edel Torque balanced putter, but I bought that separately. I need at least 3-4 different sessions with a putter to know that it works in my hands.

Mavrik 10.5 Project X Riptide 6.5 Small Batch

Sim 17 Ventus Red 7X

Sim Hybrid 21 Ventus Blue 9X

3-5 P770  KBS C-taper 120

6-PW Blueprint KBS C-taper 125 ssx1

52,56,60 MG3 TW DG S400

GCQuad/SwingCatalyst/FLIR Blackfly/Fiberbuilt/Carl's Place DIY

Just got a notice from the NCGA that they are opening a Bay Area location in Danville in March. Same special on fitting (but getting details about that from the website is almost impossible).

TM SIM2 9*
TM SIM2 3 and 5 woods
TM SIM2 3 hybrid
Ping i210 5-AW Modus 105 stiff
Ping Glide 2,0 wedges 54SS/58ES  - Recoil 95 F3
TM Spider Tour
TM Tour Response

Just got a notice from the NCGA that they are opening a Bay Area location in Danville in March. Same special on fitting (but getting details about that from the website is almost impossible).

Oh...? So do we have to commit now or will the it be more of a "grand opening" special?

TaylorMade SIM Max 10.5* - Fujikura Ventus Black 7X
TaylorMade M5 15* - Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2TS X
Callaway 815 Alpha Hybrid 21* - Mitsubishi Tensei Pro White 90TX
Miura Baby Blade 4-P - KBS $-Taper X
Miura Wedges - 52*, 56* - KBS $-Taper X
Callaway MD4 Tactical 60*
PXG Darkness Operator

Oh...? So do we have to commit now or will the it be more of a "grand opening" special?

I was looking to set up an appt at the LA location as i was going to be there mid Feb for some work.

i was told they cant stretch the deal that long which is understandable but offered to do it in the first week of Feb, when i mentioned i am just going to be in town for couple days from the bay area even i was told to wait for danville location as i believe they will run the same offer there when they open for about one month or so.

Now we wait for march ....

Had my full bag fitting today. I'll have more thoughts to add later but a (edit not so brief) brief recap to start:

Bit of backround. I've been working on my swing alot since winter started. I made a conscious decision to not think mechanics and just try and hit golf shots during the fitting. I failed but did the best I could. It's hard with all those numbers staring you in the face to not think about your swing! My current clubs: Mizuno JPX 850 driver that I was "fit" for (see my OP) - Cally XR 3 wood, TEE 3 hybrid 2 iron.

Nike VR PRO combo's, an old Cleveland something 52 and a mack daddy 2 56 bent to 58.

Parking was a bit of a cluster, but that's Boston's fault not club champions. I arrived about half an hour early and the two fitters were both working with golfers. I was hoping to get some warm up swings in but they only have two bays. No problem, stroked putts for a half hour messing around with a variety they had on the wall.

Greeted by my fitter right on time told to warm up with whatever I'd like as he took some info from me. Then it was time to start with irons. He asked me to hit several shots with my 6 iron to establish a baseline. Didn't love this, but realized they only have 6 iron heads and fit to that. Would have liked to have been able to hit multiple heads from a line.

Right away hitting my own clubs, I felt like the numbers trackman was spitting out were a little weird. Not a big deal but it was bugging me, ball speed, and carry seemed fine, but I was getting like 1.43-1.45 smash with 6irons. I was over 1.4 on some I know I hit like crap. Now I've hit on trackman outdoors before a good amount, but never with real balls (these were pro-v1 practice balls) but I know i'm not that good! I'm guessing swing speed was being read slow, but whatever carry numbers seemed reasonable and who am I to argue with Trackman.

First order of business was to find a shaft. My fitter started me out with a mizuno jpx 900 head and started swapping out shafts. Honestly, I don't recall all of them lots of variations of KBS shafts and others (I just don't know shafts - i'm a horrible wrx'er) asking me to tell him what I liked the feel of while watching dispersion, spin launch angle, etc. To be totally honest, outside of weight, they all felt the same to me. R flex, S flex, tour something, couldn't pick them out of a lineup feel wise. Thats me though, and probably why I've never evolved into a club ho, it all kind of feels the same to me.

So really it was down to numbers and shaft deflection? which my fitter said he was monitoring - no clue how or even really what that is. KBS tour V ended up as the winner. Just going to have to trust the fitter here.

Next on to heads. Here I was able to provide more of an opinion. First up was the Callaway apex. Felt good, hit them all over the yard. JPX 900's went into the good pile. Cobra King LTD - awesome clear cut front runner right away. Ping I200 - 2 swings and I jokingly told the fitter to get this thing out of my face. No idea why, but it felt awful and I hit it worse then that. Hit a few other heads, nothing memorable. Hit some PXG's just to say that I did, were nothing special for me. Next up was the Srixon 765's. They were right up there with the Cobra's - but Cobra was the clear leader in the clubhouse. I tried the 965's but they weren't nearly as good. At that point it was pretty clear we had a two head race and it was time for a little showdown and dialing in.

At this point I should mention that I had told the fitter that my clubs were all bent flat to varying degrees from a previous lie fitting. The fitter had been bending each club to mirror my current 6 iron. During the shootout I was hitting really nice fades that started on line and fell 7-10 yards right. He said, let me try something, and bent it 1 degree back towards upright and I start peppering the middle line with the Cobra. Same thing with the Srixon's. As a check, because I always kind of think it's just me swinging better or worse I snuck in a few with my current set, and it's no contest, those two are way better. Dead heat, I'll have to pick off looks there wasn't a winner but two good options.

Next up was wedges. I didn't expect much of a wedge fitting indoors and well I was right. Honestly I probably didn't give it a fair shake. I hit my 52 and 58 and along with a few he suggested and didn't really see anything worth mentioning. Basically hit just full swings and 50-60 yard pitches. I think he could tell i wasn't really feeling it so we moved on.

On to the putter. My fitter is a self admitted putter junkie and was pretty tripped out by the DF. I explained what it was and he took some strokes and dug it. For the SAM he asked me the lie and length which I gave him and the loft, which I don't know. He tried to measure it but the bottle opener part was too big and he couldn't get a good reading on it. Haha. The design of the DF also made calibrating the SAM tough, he had me opening the face at address or something.. not sure.

Anyway I rolled my 7 putts for the SAM. Overall I came out at 74.5 with 88 consistency. According to SAM I aim the face 2.1 degrees closed and return to impact... 2.1 degrees closed with a path of .1 left. Problem is 6 of 7 putts went in dead center so.... not sure on that calibration. Either way, I'll have a look at it. and check myself. One thing SAM did pick up on is that my backstroke is too long, and when it gets long it gets loopy. That I knew. My strike is consistent but well towards the toe. I'll have to work on that (but thanks MOI!) Now for comparison, I was on a SAM at the beginning of last year and if memory serves, scored in the low 60's with awful consistency. I've been practicing some, but I give the DF a good chunk of the credit there.

After the SAM session my fitter gestured towards the wall of Scotty's, Betti's et al and said should we bother? It was pretty obvious the answer was no.

Funny thing - SAM also told me that i was coming in .9 degrees toe down. I was looking at that number, as i know lie is a big deal with the DF putter. Turns out, I gave my fitter the wrong lie angle. I had in my head it was at 71 and when I got home and checked my email from DF, it's a 72 so yeah.

Next up was woods. We started with driver, like before getting baselines with my driver. I hit the Epic head as we went searching for a shaft, he felt mine was far too stiff. Again trackman was a little generous IMO with the 1.5- 1.52 smash left and right but whatever it was consistent. I did see gains in ball speed with the Epic vs my Driver. As I was hitting shafts, I hit the wall physically. I was gassed and it was pretty obvious ball speed fell off a cliff across the board. Fitter was cool though and told me most people split a full bag fitting into 2 sessions. So I'm going to go back and do the woods section. He was cool about the promo though and I don't have to rush to get back in before the end of the month.

I paid for the fitting and he gave me quotes on the iron heads and shafts, and recommended and gave me a spiel on shaft pureing. I'll have to do some homework on that, as I have no idea really if that's worth anything.

Had my full bag fitting today. I'll have more thoughts to add later but a (edit not so brief) brief recap to start:

Bit of backround. I've been working on my swing alot since winter started. I made a conscious decision to not think mechanics and just try and hit golf shots during the fitting. I failed but did the best I could. It's hard with all those numbers staring you in the face to not think about your swing! My current clubs: Mizuno JPX 850 driver that I was "fit" for (see my OP) - Cally XR 3 wood, TEE 3 hybrid 2 iron.

Nike VR PRO combo's, an old Cleveland something 52 and a mack daddy 2 56 bent to 58.

Parking was a bit of a cluster, but that's Boston's fault not club champions. I arrived about half an hour early and the two fitters were both working with golfers. I was hoping to get some warm up swings in but they only have two bays. No problem, stroked putts for a half hour messing around with a variety they had on the wall.

Greeted by my fitter right on time told to warm up with whatever I'd like as he took some info from me. Then it was time to start with irons. He asked me to hit several shots with my 6 iron to establish a baseline. Didn't love this, but realized they only have 6 iron heads and fit to that. Would have liked to have been able to hit multiple heads from a line.

Right away hitting my own clubs, I felt like the numbers trackman was spitting out were a little weird. Not a big deal but it was bugging me, ball speed, and carry seemed fine, but I was getting like 1.43-1.45 smash with 6irons. I was over 1.4 on some I know I hit like crap. Now I've hit on trackman outdoors before a good amount, but never with real balls (these were pro-v1 practice balls) but I know i'm not that good! I'm guessing swing speed was being read slow, but whatever carry numbers seemed reasonable and who am I to argue with Trackman.

First order of business was to find a shaft. My fitter started me out with a mizuno jpx 900 head and started swapping out shafts. Honestly, I don't recall all of them lots of variations of KBS shafts and others (I just don't know shafts - i'm a horrible wrx'er) asking me to tell him what I liked the feel of while watching dispersion, spin launch angle, etc. To be totally honest, outside of weight, they all felt the same to me. R flex, S flex, tour something, couldn't pick them out of a lineup feel wise. Thats me though, and probably why I've never evolved into a club ho, it all kind of feels the same to me.

So really it was down to numbers and shaft deflection? which my fitter said he was monitoring - no clue how or even really what that is. KBS tour V ended up as the winner. Just going to have to trust the fitter here.

Next on to heads. Here I was able to provide more of an opinion. First up was the Callaway apex. Felt good, hit them all over the yard. JPX 900's went into the good pile. Cobra King LTD - awesome clear cut front runner right away. Ping I200 - 2 swings and I jokingly told the fitter to get this thing out of my face. No idea why, but it felt awful and I hit it worse then that. Hit a few other heads, nothing memorable. Hit some PXG's just to say that I did, were nothing special for me. Next up was the Srixon 765's. They were right up there with the Cobra's - but Cobra was the clear leader in the clubhouse. I tried the 965's but they weren't nearly as good. At that point it was pretty clear we had a two head race and it was time for a little showdown and dialing in.

At this point I should mention that I had told the fitter that my clubs were all bent flat to varying degrees from a previous lie fitting. The fitter had been bending each club to mirror my current 6 iron. During the shootout I was hitting really nice fades that started on line and fell 7-10 yards right. He said, let me try something, and bent it 1 degree back towards upright and I start peppering the middle line with the Cobra. Same thing with the Srixon's. As a check, because I always kind of think it's just me swinging better or worse I snuck in a few with my current set, and it's no contest, those two are way better. Dead heat, I'll have to pick off looks there wasn't a winner but two good options.

Next up was wedges. I didn't expect much of a wedge fitting indoors and well I was right. Honestly I probably didn't give it a fair shake. I hit my 52 and 58 and along with a few he suggested and didn't really see anything worth mentioning. Basically hit just full swings and 50-60 yard pitches. I think he could tell i wasn't really feeling it so we moved on.

On to the putter. My fitter is a self admitted putter junkie and was pretty tripped out by the DF. I explained what it was and he took some strokes and dug it. For the SAM he asked me the lie and length which I gave him and the loft, which I don't know. He tried to measure it but the bottle opener part was too big and he couldn't get a good reading on it. Haha. The design of the DF also made calibrating the SAM tough, he had me opening the face at address or something.. not sure.

Anyway I rolled my 7 putts for the SAM. Overall I came out at 74.5 with 88 consistency. According to SAM I aim the face 2.1 degrees closed and return to impact... 2.1 degrees closed with a path of .1 left. Problem is 6 of 7 putts went in dead center so.... not sure on that calibration. Either way, I'll have a look at it. and check myself. One thing SAM did pick up on is that my backstroke is too long, and when it gets long it gets loopy. That I knew. My strike is consistent but well towards the toe. I'll have to work on that (but thanks MOI!) Now for comparison, I was on a SAM at the beginning of last year and if memory serves, scored in the low 60's with awful consistency. I've been practicing some, but I give the DF a good chunk of the credit there.

After the SAM session my fitter gestured towards the wall of Scotty's, Betti's et al and said should we bother? It was pretty obvious the answer was no.

Funny thing - SAM also told me that i was coming in .9 degrees toe down. I was looking at that number, as i know lie is a big deal with the DF putter. Turns out, I gave my fitter the wrong lie angle. I had in my head it was at 71 and when I got home and checked my email from DF, it's a 72 so yeah.

Next up was woods. We started with driver, like before getting baselines with my driver. I hit the Epic head as we went searching for a shaft, he felt mine was far too stiff. Again trackman was a little generous IMO with the 1.5- 1.52 smash left and right but whatever it was consistent. I did see gains in ball speed with the Epic vs my Driver. As I was hitting shafts, I hit the wall physically. I was gassed and it was pretty obvious ball speed fell off a cliff across the board. Fitter was cool though and told me most people split a full bag fitting into 2 sessions. So I'm going to go back and do the woods section. He was cool about the promo though and I don't have to rush to get back in before the end of the month.

I paid for the fitting and he gave me quotes on the iron heads and shafts, and recommended and gave me a spiel on shaft pureing. I'll have to do some homework on that, as I have no idea really if that's worth anything.

That is a very detailed review.... Did you have any input on which iron head they selected.

Like i would want to test apex pro withe apex and MP25 with the JPX...did they ask you anything or was it all i recommend this so you need to hit these ?

Just gathering info as i am also gearing for one of these.

I didn't have any input on what iron heads were selected but I could have except for the PXG. Honestly I only hit that one cause while I was waiting 3 guys came in as walk ins desperate to try it but were turned away without an appt. I did ask him how he was picking them. He told me that he had a good idea what would work and what wouldn't based on my swing characteristics and what was working and not as we progressed.

I have no doubt that if I wanted to hit a certain head I could have. Honestly for a WRX'er I'm just not very knowledgeable about equipment and I am pretty brand agnostic so I was happy to leave it in his hands.

Does anyone have experience with CC in Philadelphia? Any comparison with Izett?

I can't comment on Izett but I just did an iron and putter fitting at the Philly CC yesterday.

I have nothing but positive things to say. Worked with Brett and we quickly honed in on a combination that helped me gain about 9-10 yards on my irons and he was very respectful of my aesthetic preferences.

The putter fitting was eye opening as I went to a seemore putter that I would have never tried otherwise since the SAM said I should use a face balanced blade.

Overall I would recommend CC. I didn't try Izett simply because (and please correct me if I'm wrong) it looks like they only have 4 or 5 brands to try...of which Mizuno appears to be the only accessible option outside of ordering from Izett.

Are you planning on buying anything? I've recently heard that people are going there just for the fitting and then I guess they use the results to go get the clubs made somewhere else. What have most people done? I got CC to build my entire sets and I can't complain one bit. I wouldn't go to another place to get my clubs unless it was reputable. No golf galaxy or dicks or closed down golfsmith.

Are you planning on buying anything? I've recently heard that people are going there just for the fitting and then I guess they use the results to go get the clubs made somewhere else. What have most people done? I got CC to build my entire sets and I can't complain one bit. I wouldn't go to another place to get my clubs unless it was reputable. No golf galaxy or dicks or closed down golfsmith.

I think I will buy the irons, I definitely could use an upgrade. I'll probably wait till I complete the driver fitting to get a better idea of total cost if I see major gains there. I've always liked the idea of buying prior year models to save some bank.. like are the 765 irons that much of a leap from the 745's? I don't know yet, it's a tough call IMO.

I think I will buy the irons, I definitely could use an upgrade. I'll probably wait till I complete the driver fitting to get a better idea of total cost if I see major gains there. I've always liked the idea of buying prior year models to save some bank.. like are the 765 irons that much of a leap from the 745's? I don't know yet, it's a tough call IMO.

I can't comment on the leap from 745 to 765. I just went from 545 to 765 with the same shaft. I gained dispersion and 6 yards on average.

So I got fitted at the Rockville store a week ago, and the experience was amazing. Gsrjc did a good job describing the experience, so I want speak to that, what I will say is the information you get post fitting is great, and now I can take this info and either build my own set or go through them and do it. I was told to keep my iron heads and reshaft, but the reshaft cost is expensive when you factor in grips and build cost!! I priced out a new set of irons from TM with my custom settings and it came to about the same price if I where to trade in my irons, so I'm trying to decide what I want to do. Either way I know exactly what I need to do to optimize my equipment. They also do custom paint jobs!! My Odyssey 2ball fang is going to get blacked out for $100...

It's a doddle to change the shafts yourself. Hardly any cost, other than the shaft cost and a couple of cheap tools.

There is a new Club Champion on Long Island. Looking to do a fitting there closer to the start of my season. For those that have gone through wedge fittings, either at a CC or other fitter, how did you find the usefulness of it? Good way to help determine proper characteristics of a wedge you should be playing, i.e. grind, bounce, loft? In fitting into new wedges I care more about shots around the greens and pitching. Can one gauge such things going through an indoor fitting off of synthetic turf?? Thoughts/experiences much appreciated.

• 1 month later...

Update - Fitting part 2

Since my last fitting, I was able to purchase srixon 765 heads and my fitted shafts and built them myself over presidents day weekend. It was my first club building venture and a little nerve racking, but i think they came out well. Need to get the lies bent I think but I'll play with that when I get outdoors...

So a bit over a month later and I've just completed the 2nd part of my fitting. Last time I ran out of gas when we got to the top end of the bag, and CC was cool enough to allow me to finish later and still honor the promo deal. Work has been crazy so I had to wait this long to get a saturday appt, they are busy guys.

To be honest, I almost cancelled this morning. I've been under the weather and have always really struggled hitting drivers indoors. I pretty much gave up on sim golf because of it, I just can't seem to make a decent driver swing with a roof over my head. But I felt a little better this morning, and didn't want to be a jerk with a last minute cancellation so I made the trip.

In the real world, if anyone asked me before last year, I'd have told them driver was the worst part of my game. But after using game golf all of last season, according to them, it's actually the best part of my game from a strokes game perspective. I'm not terribly long, I average right at 255 total per last seasons stats and hit 60% of fairways. The thing is, I'll hit a lot of drives 220 and a lot 275+ - I'm wildly inconsistent distance wise as I struggle to hit the middle of the face consistently. I feel like I'm capable of more with driver, I hit a blade 35 degree 7 iron 160 fairly easily, but definitely struggle with the longer driver swing.

Anyway, after warming up, we started out with my current driver, a mizuno JPX 850 with a speeder tour spec 6.3 shaft. My fitter commented that that was a really nice shaft (I'm clueless) but after a few swings hitting it all over the face, speculated that it was a little too much shaft for me to handle. I can't disagree, I've never been really comfortable with it, feels like I have to work very hard to put a good swing on it.

My fitter tweaked the settings of my current driver (it was set at 11.5) a few times to see if that would help, I hit it better at 10.5 but still not great. At this point I was getting nervous that I was totally wasting both of our time. He handed me a 917 D2 at 9.5 with a hzrdus yellow 6.0 shaft and it felt awesome. Numbers went up across the board (well spin went down) and I was consistent with it. Loved the feel of the shaft, just felt like I didn't have to be perfect to find the face.

We tried a few more shafts just to be sure, but nothing came close. Then we played around with heads. I hit Epic, M1, M2, Tour Edge, Ping G, Cobra F7, JPX 900. Tour edge came close, but I really didn't like the sound, but numbers and feel, 917 was the clear winner. Not sure if my fitter got lucky or knew something getting me in that setup right off the bat.

We played around with 3 wood. I currently game a Callaway XR Pro with Project X 6.0. i was hitting that awesome off the deck and teed up. We tried a 917 3 wood with the Hzrdus and it was fine but wasn't beating mine. Fitter agreed that mine suited me quite well (got lucky just bought it off eBay on a whim).

Onto hybrids, I currently have two TEE's a 2 CB Pro h which I love and a 3 XG2 Beta which is solid. The CB Pro isn't going anywhere so I didn't even bother baselining it, and I hit my 3 hybrid just awful. Like almost missing the screen awful. At that point, I was beat, and feeling the effects of the last few days of being sick so I called it a day.

So now I have to figure out how bad I want a new driver. The quote is almost a grand for this thing which is going to be nearly impossible to stomach. May need to do some work on the BST.

• 1 year later...

Just bumping an old thread.

One of these opened about 10 minutes from my house. They are currently offering 1/2 off a total bag fitting. Before I make the lengthy drive, does anyone know what the prices are? Because 1/2 off $1,000 is still too much....

Sidebar: I should be on the 13th hole right about now......will the freaking winter ever end?

X________________________________ Sign Here

• 6 months later...

Bumping this thread since it’s about time for Club Champion’s winter half-off deal.

As much as I really want to get fit, I’ve always been concerned about doing it (1) off mats where you can’t really see turf interaction (especially short irons and wedges) and (2) into nets where you can’t really see ball flight.

I don’t know how much this is accurate, but I always feel like I adapt my swing for mats (which is why I don’t like practicing off them), so getting fit on mats may not mean I’m getting fit for my natural swing.

Also, I’m a technology junkie and love the concept of Trackman, etc, but it seems like it would inspire more confidence to see the actual ball flight in addition to the numbers and calculated flight on a launch monitor.

Ideally, I’d love to see an outfit like CC that performs fittings on grass ranges, but I know that’s not their model. I also know I can go to fittings at local courses with grass ranges, but that’s generally limited to specific manufacturers and one at a time.

Does anyone else share these concerns? For anyone who’s bought clubs (irons) from a CC (or similar indoor) fitting, what’s been your experience with the clubs in the real world vs the simulator? If unhappy with clubs, I know they offer to “make it right” by fixing or replacing clubs, but that’s still based on hitting in their bays.

Finally, before anyone feels like I’m sh*tting on CC, I’m not...I really want to use them because I live 15 minutes from their Willowbrook, IL location, but I’m trying to get past what I feel like are legitimate concerns. Any input from those with experience would be appreciated.

Bumping this thread since it’s about time for Club Champion’s winter half-off deal.

As much as I really want to get fit, I’ve always been concerned about doing it (1) off mats where you can’t really see turf interaction (especially short irons and wedges) and (2) into nets where you can’t really see ball flight.

I don’t know how much this is accurate, but I always feel like I adapt my swing for mats (which is why I don’t like practicing off them), so getting fit on mats may not mean I’m getting fit for my natural swing.

Also, I’m a technology junkie and love the concept of Trackman, etc, but it seems like it would inspire more confidence to see the actual ball flight in addition to the numbers and calculated flight on a launch monitor.

Ideally, I’d love to see an outfit like CC that performs fittings on grass ranges, but I know that’s not their model. I also know I can go to fittings at local courses with grass ranges, but that’s generally limited to specific manufacturers and one at a time.

Does anyone else share these concerns? For anyone who’s bought clubs (irons) from a CC (or similar indoor) fitting, what’s been your experience with the clubs in the real world vs the simulator? If unhappy with clubs, I know they offer to “make it right” by fixing or replacing clubs, but that’s still based on hitting in their bays.

Finally, before anyone feels like I’m sh*tting on CC, I’m not...I really want to use them because I live 15 minutes from their Willowbrook, IL location, but I’m trying to get past what I feel like are legitimate concerns. Any input from those with experience would be appreciated.

Just went for a driver fitting yesterday. Terrible experience. I posted about it...

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1705630-club-champ-driver-fitting-more-questions-than-answers-g400ts316-m2/page__pid__18166358#entry18166358

Never indoors and always on grass.

Agree and agree...100%

Just went for a driver fitting yesterday. Terrible experience. I posted about it...

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1705630-club-champ-driver-fitting-more-questions-than-answers-g400ts316-m2/page__pid__18166358#entry18166358

Never indoors and always on grass.

Agree and agree...100%

Thanks for posting your experience and linking to it. All those comments push me further away from CC. I really need to find somewhere that I can hit different manufacturers’ clubs with a launch monitor off grass.

• 2 weeks later...

I am higher handicapper and slow swing speed golfer returning to golf after an extended layoff. Went for a CC fitting and overall I would rate it a good investment. I am just having the recommended results put together by my local fitter. I was concerned about indoor TM data after seeing some of the posts about Foresight GC Quad vs. TM comparisons. Obviously with any fitting indoors or on the grass, the ability to have a consistent swing or lack thereof contributes greatly to the process of getting to the right arrows.

The CC process starts with hitting your “gamer”, in my case i started with driver and was satisfied that the numbers I was seeing on TM were consistent to my numbers I have experienced with other TM outdoor sessions and on course results. Next step was to tweak settings on gamer and determined the settings I was using provided best results. I was most interested in dispersion, with distance similar or greater to gamer. Moved on to 5 or 6 different shafts in "Gamer" and after 5 or 6 swings with each we settled on a shaft.

Then we used this shaft on various driver heads and after reviewing the data and my own input settled on a combination.

We then repeated this process with 3 woods and 3 hybrids. In my case we lofted up both clubs to gain height and carry.

For the irons you repeat this process using a six iron head. I did not spend much time on the wedge portion of the program as I felt very comfortable with my current gapping. After I put my new irons in play I will probably have to make some adjustments in my wedges.

I had done an Edel putter fitting with David Orr some years ago and the CC putter fitting led to just a minor loft adjustment on my Edel slight toe hang blade.

I am not using CC for my club build as I have an excellent local fitter, Ken at Victory Custom Golf. I picked up some of the heads I need on WRX a5nd expect to have everything done by the end of this week. As a slow swinging senior my bag is over populated with woods and at this point I will have a 13 club bag. Once I have on course experience with the new bag, I will be adding a club based on real life gapping distances.

Based on the fitting I am expecting improvements in my dispersion will all my longer clubs. Since I was using a 6 iron in the fitting I am anxious too see the real life gapping as the lofts in the new irons (JPX 919HM) are a lot stronger than my current set.

I will report back after I get some drive time on the new bag.

Ping G410+ 10.5
Ping G400SFT 3W, 5W 7W
Mavrik 6-GW
Cleveland CBX 52, Titliest SM8 57
Odyssey DoubleWide F LStrokelab

• 2 weeks later...

Evaluating Club Champion (in Willowbrook) vs PGA Superstore Fitting Van (in Downers Grove) for a bag fitting. Looking for some feedback on some *specific* items if anyone has good insight. As many of you probably know, CC is running their winter special (half-off all fittings), and PGASS has a "buy one, get the rest at 50% off" deal going.

Quick caveat: I know many people have generalized opinions that tend to run a little strong. I'm already considering some of the potential gotchas like indoor fitting off mats, selection of head/shaft combos, CC's tendency to recommend high-end ($$$) exotic stuff, etc. While all valid topics, I'm not looking for a runaway thread on the pros/cons of each.

My main considerations:

- Fitter expertise: Overall, I know a lot of the value of fitting comes from the expertise of the fitter. Trying to asses the guys available at both locations.

- Equipment options: I'm pretty confident that, while CC has more options, PGASS has enough that I could find the right fit, so equipment options is a draw for me.

- LM Accuracy: I realize Trackman and GCQ each have their strengths/weaknesses...I'm looking for good club and ball flight data that I can trust. I know CC uses the SAM putting lab - this isn't that important to me because, aside from a possible tweak on lie/loft and maybe grip, I envision my putter being the 1 club that stays in my bag.

- "Fit Guarantee": CC says that, if you don't like the real-world equipment performance, they'll "make it right" - my understanding is that means they'll tweak the specs on what you bought if needed. PGASS has a 90-day playability guarantee, where they'll take back any unsatisfactory equipment for credit towards a replacement. Unlike many folks here, I don't swap equipment often. I've owned only 3 sets of irons in 23 years of playing, while going through maybe 6 drivers. So...it's really important to me to get the next purchase right.

On to my specific questions:

1. Anyone have any experience with Danny Kusek at PGASS? It seems like he knows his stuff, and he actually recommended I wait on a woods fitting until after the new equipment comes out in January.

2. Same question about Roger Paiz at Club Champion. He used to sell equipment and moved over to fitting. If not Roger, who at this location have you worked with and what was the experience?

3. Anyone have practical experience with Trackman vs GC Quad? I understand the main differences and have reviewed many comparisons, including this one on WRX: http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1676178-final-result-trackman-4-vs-gc2hmtgcquad/

FWIW, I also plan on checking out the fitting options at Mistwood and Cantigny. I'd love to be able to hit outside to see actual ball flight in addition to LM stats, but I need to figure out what they have in terms of fitters and equipment options.

1. Anyone have any experience with Danny Kusek at PGASS?

2. Same question about Roger Paiz at Club Champion. If not Roger, who at this location have you worked with and what was the experience?

3. Anyone have practical experience with Trackman vs GC Quad? I understand the main differences and have reviewed many comparisons, including this one on WRX: http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1676178-final-result-trackman-4-vs-gc2hmtgcquad/

Evaluating Club Champion (in Willowbrook) vs PGA Superstore Fitting Van (in Downers Grove) for a bag fitting. Looking for some feedback on some *specific* items if anyone has good insight. As many of you probably know, CC is running their winter special (half-off all fittings), and PGASS has a "buy one, get the rest at 50% off" deal going.

Quick caveat: I know many people have generalized opinions that tend to run a little strong. I'm already considering some of the potential gotchas like indoor fitting off mats, selection of head/shaft combos, CC's tendency to recommend high-end ($$$) exotic stuff, etc. While all valid topics, I'm not looking for a runaway thread on the pros/cons of each.

My main considerations:

- Fitter expertise: Overall, I know a lot of the value of fitting comes from the expertise of the fitter. Trying to asses the guys available at both locations.

- Equipment options: I'm pretty confident that, while CC has more options, PGASS has enough that I could find the right fit, so equipment options is a draw for me.

- LM Accuracy: I realize Trackman and GCQ each have their strengths/weaknesses...I'm looking for good club and ball flight data that I can trust. I know CC uses the SAM putting lab - this isn't that important to me because, aside from a possible tweak on lie/loft and maybe grip, I envision my putter being the 1 club that stays in my bag.

- "Fit Guarantee": CC says that, if you don't like the real-world equipment performance, they'll "make it right" - my understanding is that means they'll tweak the specs on what you bought if needed. PGASS has a 90-day playability guarantee, where they'll take back any unsatisfactory equipment for credit towards a replacement. Unlike many folks here, I don't swap equipment often. I've owned only 3 sets of irons in 23 years of playing, while going through maybe 6 drivers. So...it's really important to me to get the next purchase right.

1. Anyone have any experience with Danny Kusek at PGASS? It seems like he knows his stuff, and he actually recommended I wait on a woods fitting until after the new equipment comes out in January.

2. Same question about Roger Paiz at Club Champion. He used to sell equipment and moved over to fitting. If not Roger, who at this location have you worked with and what was the experience?

FWIW, I also plan on checking out the fitting options at Mistwood and Cantigny. I'd love to be able to hit outside to see actual ball flight in addition to LM stats, but I need to figure out what they have in terms of fitters and equipment options.

1. Anyone have any experience with Danny Kusek at PGASS?

2. Same question about Roger Paiz at Club Champion. If not Roger, who at this location have you worked with and what was the experience?

I can't speak to the Willowbrook location, but I will tell you I've been fit by Tim Naughton at the Deerfield Club Champion, twice. The first time was 5 years ago. He was fantastic and the process was enlightening. I was afraid of the turf vs grass and wasn't sure what to expect. But the information I picked up and choices I made at the time helped me drop almost 4 strokes off my handicap that next season. He was honest with his recommendations and even had me keep my iron heads, hybrid, 4 wood and putter. He suggested I change my driver, iron shafts and then specs. Which I did over a period of the next 6 months, by sourcing my own equipment and having my own guy build them... Which made it a much cheaper venture. Tim was always there to answer my questions and give me any advice on decisions I was thinking about.

Fast forward to January of 2018 and I went in again. I had taken lessons for about a year so I figured it was time to make a change. I went back to Tim. Again the turf vs grass, and the fact that it was mid winter and my swing wasn't in tip top shape, was on my mind. But I went anyway. I spread it out over two days as you get tired going through the whole bag. Tim recommended new irons (Titleist AP2/AP3 combo which want even on my radar... Furthest from my thoughts actually) and shafts, same wedges with updated shafts, which I figured would happen (technology has changed a bit) and recommend that I keep my driver G400 and shaft, but upgrade to a G400 3 wood as well, but keeping the same shaft I had in my 4 wood. He also suggested a G400 crossover. We also changed a few specs on my putter.

I'll be honest, I wasn't sure about the recommendation. Spending money to once again source the components and have everything built was a bit nerve racking, but I did it. And boy did it make a difference. The new irons were great this year. The new 3 wood was fantastic. And once I figured out how to attack using the crossover, I was super happy with that. My putting was out of this world. So unbelievably glad I went.

Now, that all being said, if you pysch yourself out about the turf and indoor location (which I believe both CC and PGASS have plenty of space, unlike Golftec) and not trust the recommendation, then it makes no sense to worry about spending the money to go get fit. Your swing is your swing and while it can vary a tad, with all the swings and options you go through, I think your real swing will come through.

And you don't have to purchase your clubs through CC so if you want the playability guarantee, you can always take your specs to PGASS and order them there and still have that guarantee.

I know it doesn't address the people you spoke about, but I hope this helps and bit. Good luck!

Thanks, dhartmann. It's great to hear your personal experience (2x) with CC. I have a golfing buddy who also got fit at that location, an I have no doubt Willowbrook (which is their HQ) would be good too.

Good point about buying through PGASS - in my heart, I know there's no way I'd buy through CC because of the cost. Yes, my game is worth an investment, but I'd definitely look to shave costs by sourcing recommended equipment elsewhere.

I admit that I have some mental hurdles to get past, which is what's kept me from doing this over the last few years.