#TheWRX: The EPIC Event at Callaway Golf. 8 Members are treated to TheWRX

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sean,

I try I try. Its all I can do from crying about my Cowboys! Y'all getting any warm weather like we are getting down in MD?

Unfortunately no. High 30s and rain. It will get up to the low 40s though. I played last Wednesday (mid-40s, but very windy), the course was extremely soggy. I was at our driving range today, and it's covered with anywhere from puddles to tiny ponds. :-)

I hope you are playing. :-)

That was a heck of a game. I was pulling for the Cowboys.

At least you got out... Started to take lessons again, so this weather has allowed me to get on the course to work on it.

It was a great game after we gave up 3 tds.. If someone would of told me the Cowboys would have been 12-3 and into the playoffs before the season, I would of called them a liar. The future looks bright...

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

Sean,

I try I try. Its all I can do from crying about my Cowboys! Y'all getting any warm weather like we are getting down in MD?

Unfortunately no. High 30s and rain. It will get up to the low 40s though. I played last Wednesday (mid-40s, but very windy), the course was extremely soggy. I was at our driving range today, and it's covered with anywhere from puddles to tiny ponds. :-)

I hope you are playing. :-)

That was a heck of a game. I was pulling for the Cowboys.

At least you got out... Started to take lessons again, so this weather has allowed me to get on the course to work on it.

It was a great game after we gave up 3 tds.. If someone would of told me the Cowboys would have been 12-3 and into the playoffs before the season, I would of called them a liar. The future looks bright...

Indeed it does. And I imagine the team will be even more motivated next season.

I think sometimes it's more beneficial to work on swing changes on the course versus the range. Good luck!

I got another round in this past weekend with the new gear. I am loving the new wedges and woods. Im a little concerned by how much wear the Apex irons are already showing. I wonder if anyone else has had issues with these?

The SZ driver is still impressing me with its forgiveness, I know its only a small sample size but I track FIR and I'm up about 10% since getting the Epic SZ.

I got another round in this past weekend with the new gear. I am loving the new wedges and woods. Im a little concerned by how much wear the Apex irons are already showing. I wonder if anyone else has had issues with these?

The SZ driver is still impressing me with its forgiveness, I know its only a small sample size but I track FIR and I'm up about 10% since getting the Epic SZ.

I have had my CF16's around 7 months and my irons show the little nicks and scratches on the sole that forged irons will have as they are used. The faces look fine. This is no different than the Nike VRS Forged and Diablo Forged irons I owned. I hit a hidden tree root with my 5 iron and the shaft was bent but the face was fine. I shipped the iron to Callaway and they replaced the shaft and grip to my original specs plus made sure the head was not bent out of spec for no charge.

Now all I have to do wait for my Epic to be delivered. I have two days just before my lumbar facet block that my doctor will allow me to hit balls. It is hard not hitting golf balls when it is 70 degrees, sunny, and on vacation. Hopefully one of those two days I can hit balls will have nice weather so I can at least get to the range.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5 driver w/ Project X Riptide 50 5.0
Callaway Epic Flash 3, 5, & 7 woods w/ Fujikura Pro 2.0 R2-6

Callaway Apex 21 DCB 4 iron w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0 
Callaway Apex 21 5 - AW w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0
Callaway Mack Daddy CB 56 w/ Project X Catalyst 60 5.5
Toulon Design Palm Beach Stroke Lab
Callaway Chrome Soft

Hey Man, i mentioned it a few pages ago, but there's already a big slash down the center of my 8 iron, and also on the pitching wedge. I'm not quite sure how it happened and it's definitely only cosmetic. But it was just odd, the first virtual round (i live in wintery Canada FML) i played, i looked at my 8 iron and it looked like it had been scraped down the middle

My JPX850 F's look brand new still after 3 seasons except for the dings due to chatter

Anyway, only cosmetic, but yeah that finish doesn't hold

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Hey Man, i mentioned it a few pages ago, but there's already a big slash down the center of my 8 iron, and also on the pitching wedge. I'm not quite sure how it happened and it's definitely only cosmetic. But it was just odd, the first virtual round (i live in wintery Canada FML) i played, i looked at my 8 iron and it looked like it had been scraped down the middle

My JPX850 F's look brand new still after 3 seasons except for the dings due to chatter

It is definitely only cosmetic but they do show wear on the face like I've put a lot of range time in already.

To those who've hit the Epic SZ....is the head bigger than Drivers of the past few years? I ask because I have an older Cally and the head is smaller than anything on the market these days. I don't particularly love the huge heads (probably just mental at this point). I did enjoy hitting the King LTD Pro (big head) but also like the shape of the Nike VF Pro. In terms of size, how big is it?

Looks like this 'Jailbreak Technology' could prove to be useful...

Driver: Cobra LTD Pro 7.5o - Kuro Kage DC XT 70 TX - Tipped 1"

UDI: 2019 TaylorMade P790 2i

Irons: 3-PW: Srixon z745 with Modus 130x

Wedges: 52o/56o/60o - Cleveland RTX4s

Putter: Ping Kushin 4

To those who've hit the Epic SZ....is the head bigger than Drivers of the past few years? I ask because I have an older Cally and the head is smaller than anything on the market these days. I don't particularly love the huge heads (probably just mental at this point). I did enjoy hitting the King LTD Pro (big head) but also like the shape of the Nike VF Pro. In terms of size, how big is it?

Last year was the first time I played a 460 head (the M2) and I went with the SZ it is also 460 but doesnt look huge. I really like the shape.

The shape of the SZ looks really nice, doesn't look like a 460 head to me, nice shape.

TM Stealth 2+ 10.5deg Hzrdus Smoke 4G Black 60 6.0

Titleist TSi2 16.5deg Hzrdus Smoke Black 70 6.0

TM Stealth 2+ 3 Hybrid Project X Black 80 stiff

TM P770 5-AW DG 105 S300

TM MG4 54/58 DG 105 S300

SC Newport Select 34" (rotate them)

TM TP5X

For those contemplating the MD Forged I will say that they do not play with much bounce at all. It's super wet in Cincinnati from all the rain and they've been chunk machines since receiving them. They aren't bad wedges but they just don't suit wet conditions. They'll be perfect when it firms up here in the summer when scoring counts.

10.5* G430 Max Diamana BF 60

15* G430 Max Diamana Ahina 70

21* Apex UW Diamana Ilima 80
22* (bent 23*) X Forged UT KBS Proto

Apex   MB 5-PW $-Taper 

Vokey SM9 Raw 50F, 56F, 60T

Toulon La Grange SB w/ KBS CT Tour

Jones Players Series 003

I find the head looks a tad big compared to normal shaped 460cc heads. But it doesn't really bother me. I was coming from an Anser and the SZ looks bigger to me at address. Both are 460cc i believe, but it's not a huge difference

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Bigger than recent Callaway tour level offerings for sure. It appears a hair smaller than the new M1 in comparison, still plenty smaller than the PING G range. It somehow looks friendly at address, but feels workable like a smaller driver when swinging.

I was blown away by the forgiveness of the epic (and I am used to my G30). It, to me, felt much easier to hit than the new M1 in the middle weight setting.

I hate to say this, as I'm a devoted PING player and have bagged essentially only PING irons and driver since turning professional, but if I was sent an epic SZ, I'd probably bag it. It's longer like SLDR was back in the day, except it's easy to hit. I love my G and G30 LS Tec, but this one's a game changer I think. It's added distance without changing anything.

Don't hate me PING. I'll still love you forever.

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5 HZRDUS Smoke iM10 Green 60 TX 45.9" D3

Driver 2: Taylormade Burner Mini 11.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 X D5

Fairway: PXG 0311XF Gen 5 4 Wood; Smoke iM10 Green 70 TX D6

Irons: PXG 0317X; PXG 0311T Gen 5; 5-GW DG 105 X D7

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56 S Grind;  Cleveland RTX Full Face 64 DG 120 X E0

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Raptor 38” Wristlock Grip

Yay! We can say Chrome Soft X now!!

Sean, I guess you can hit balls sideways if your clubs are sideways ;)

Hah! Too funny. :-)

how good is that ball? compare it to something. i love my chrome soft, but if its a little more firm for me thats a good thing

[size=4][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][b]DRIVER[/b]- Callaway Rogue Oban Tour Limited 60s
[b]3 WOOD[/b]- GBB Epic Oban Kiyoshi Gold 75s
[b]HYBRID[/b]- Titleist 818 H1 19/23 Hybrid Atmos HB Tour Spec 85s
[b]IRONS[/b]- Srixon 765/565 Nippon Modus 105s
[b]GAP[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 52 Modus 105
[b]SAND[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 54 Modus 105
[b]LOB[/b]- Callaway MD3 Chrome 58 Modus 105
[b]PUTTER[/b]- Bettinardi Queen Bee #6
[b]BALL[/b]- Callaway Chrome Soft X[/font][/size]

Yay! We can say Chrome Soft X now!!

Sean, I guess you can hit balls sideways if your clubs are sideways ;)

Hah! Too funny. :-)

how good is that ball? compare it to something. i love my chrome soft, but if its a little more firm for me thats a good thing

Yes, it is a bit firmer, and you get more reaction around the greens...at least in my case.

For those contemplating the MD Forged I will say that they do not play with much bounce at all. It's super wet in Cincinnati from all the rain and they've been chunk machines since receiving them. They aren't bad wedges but they just don't suit wet conditions. They'll be perfect when it firms up here in the summer when scoring counts.

I have a lot of bounce on my two wedges (10 degrees), so I haven't had any problems with soupy conditions, which is all we have, along with goose poop. Ball checks up/spins back nicely. For me, I find 10 degrees of bounce works best in all conditions.

I went ahead and purchased two identical wedges to what I have: I will use one set for practice and one set for play.

I have a lot of bounce on my two wedges (10 degrees), so I haven't had any problems with soupy conditions, which is all we have, along with goose poop. Ball checks up/spins back nicely. For me, I find 10 degrees of bounce works best in all conditions.

I went ahead and purchased two identical wedges to what I have: I will use one set for practice and one set for play.

Now that's the spirit! That trip is in your golfing soul.

Had some MD3s in hand last week but haven't hit them, but liked them. The admonitions from Callaway in some community responses about the MD forged having less effective bounce and me being not so shallow have had me looking at some custom configurations of the MD3. Still I don't know the MD forged straighter leading edge, etc. is that much different than my SM6s. I'll find out in March.

My wife just shook her head when my eBay 6 year old Legacy Blacks showed up last summer after getting new Titleist irons/wedges last spring.

I figure Callaway wedges are just a natural progression - probably just one set though.

I'm thinking abut ordering. 56 bent to 58 and a 52 bent to 54... to get a little more bounce.

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

It is definitely only cosmetic but they do show wear on the face like I've put a lot of range time in already.

I haven't had any issues. Lot of range sessions and a few rounds of golf.

Now that's the spirit! That trip is in your golfing soul.

Had some MD3s in hand last week but haven't hit them, but liked them. The admonitions from Callaway in some community responses about the MD forged having less effective bounce and me being not so shallow have had me looking at some custom configurations of the MD3. Still I don't know the MD forged straighter leading edge, etc. is that much different than my SM6s. I'll find out in March.

My wife just shook her head when my eBay 6 year old Legacy Blacks showed up last summer after getting new Titleist irons/wedges last spring.

I figure Callaway wedges are just a natural progression - probably just one set though.

I am very happy with them, and like that straight leading edge.

I'm thinking abut ordering. 56 bent to 58 and a 52 bent to 54... to get a little more bounce.

I play in all conditions: wet, dry, fluffy bunkers, firm bunkers, so I find the extra bounce to be quite versatile.

I got a sleeve of the Chrome Soft X at a launch event for the Epic line, and played a round with one yesterday. I have not liked any Callaway balls for years, but this is one that I could play. It's fairly wet, and the greens a bit shaggy, so it's hard to know much about how it performs around the greens, but off the driver & irons, the performance was good. When it gets into the actual golf season here (it was almost 60 degrees yesterday, which is quite rare for January here), I'll probably try to do some side by side testing to compare the CSX against the TPX that I usually play. But my initial impression was favorable. I played all 18 holes with the same ball, and the durability is pretty good. A couple of scuffs, but nothing unusual compared to other balls.

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
TaylorMade M2 Tour 18*, Fujikura Rombax P95x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x or Tour Issue or Titleist TSi2 21* (set to 20*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x
Cobra King RF Forged MB - 4-PW, KBS C-Taper 120 Stiff
Corey Paul 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

Good group...have fun, take it all in and enjoy.

Don't go hitting any golfballs through the balcony of your hotel room ;) but if you do...

Please get a pic for me to use for "caption This" :)

Have a great time guys..safe travels.

ah sounds like the start of a McCord story... like the one from "Tin Cup".

a Cobra KingLtd 9* Black Smoke 6.5 45"
b Ping g400 9* SpeederPro TSx84 45"
c TM 17M1 460 9.5* Matrix BlackTie X 45"

Titleist TS2 15* Hzrdus Green S 1"tip
Cobra BafflerPro19* SpeederProS .5"tip
Cobra Baffler RailH23* SpeederProS

a Callaway Apex 5-pw ProjectX 6.0 +.5"
b Callaway x20 Tour 5-pw ProjectX 6.0 +.5"
Vokey Sm7 raw aw51*, sw56*, lw60*
Cameron FuturaX SuperStroke Fatso5.0

All you guys that got the forged wedges in slate, have they rusted up nicely? Please post pictures!

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s

T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 50/12F KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 54/10S KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 58/08M KBS Tour

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto 
Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

All you guys that got the forged wedges in slate, have they rusted up nicely? Please post pictures!

Mine are looking pretty tasty. I'll take a picture as soon as I can.

Apex   MB 5-PW $-Taper 

Jones Players Series 003

Those look cool.....i faced a really tough decision on the finish when we were there, until they said "we have the satin right now" and i was like "Gimme gimme gimme"

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I got to see some of the Callaway guys again at the PGA Show. They are just a fun group of guys to talk shop with. Johnny did a great job on the booth design this year.

Apex   MB 5-PW $-Taper 

Jones Players Series 003