2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Colorado WRX 2017

brianhorne8

The schedule is not out yet. Usually comes out in early March. They are currently taking votes as to which courses members want to see put on the schedule--strong push to get Plum Creek on the schedule this year. Given a lot of FRGC members also play in Club Corp's MGA, they try to avoid scheduling tournaments the same weekend as Club Corp's bigger MGA events. I miss about 65% of the tournaments due to kids' activities as well as going to Europe for a month in the summer.

I've heard South Suburban's men's club is pretty competitive. They seem to represent pretty well at CGA team events.

seven dewey is a member of The Links' MGA, and he loves it. Maybe throw a PM to him to get better info. I'll also bug him on Google Hangouts to post here.

Awesome, thanks for the info.

I played an inter club match for Murphy Creek against South Suburban last season. I wouldn't get anywhere near that men's club based on my experience.

Why is that? Are they too competitive/unfriendly? If so, that's a bummer to hear, since their schedule fits mine the best and it's so close to my house.

Cobra LTDx LS - Oban Kiyoshi HB-65
Cobra F8 4w - Tour AD IZ-7s
Cobra 4h - SmacWrap 780 ES x
Cobra Forged Tec Black - AMT x100
Titleist Vokey 50/54/58 SM9
Edel E-1

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you guys don't mind a slight threadjack I'd like to ask a question

These men's clubs you guys are talking about. I'm guessing they are like a weekly league type deal? Then you play competitions,against other course? That,sounds like fun, what format are the matches, how are,the teams chosen?

Sorry again to interrupt the thread but we are thinking of moving to area and any information is helpful.

The schedule is not out yet. Usually comes out in early March. They are currently taking votes as to which courses members want to see put on the schedule--strong push to get Plum Creek on the schedule this year. Given a lot of FRGC members also play in Club Corp's MGA, they try to avoid scheduling tournaments the same weekend as Club Corp's bigger MGA events. I miss about 65% of the tournaments due to kids' activities as well as going to Europe for a month in the summer.

I've heard South Suburban's men's club is pretty competitive. They seem to represent pretty well at CGA team events.

seven dewey is a member of The Links' MGA, and he loves it. Maybe throw a PM to him to get better info. I'll also bug him on Google Hangouts to post here.

Awesome, thanks for the info.

I played an inter club match for Murphy Creek against South Suburban last season. I wouldn't get anywhere near that men's club based on my experience.

Why is that? Are they too competitive/unfriendly? If so, that's a bummer to hear, since their schedule fits mine the best and it's so close to my house.

The fourball match I was in had the feel of a Ryder cup without any of the friendliness. Small sample size I know but they couldn't have been less friendly and would also make you put out from less than a foot.

They are really proud of their greens there and convinced that tap ins aren't gimmies. Also had their "coach" or whatever out following matches like we were playing for big money or something. Just a very bizarre experience and very different from the ones I've played against Meadows (where I actually used to play) and some others.

I've got a couple beefs with how we do things in the Murphy Creek and Saddle Rock club but have had no bad experiences in 2 seasons. Good group of guys and very reasonable costs.

These men's clubs you guys are talking about. I'm guessing they are like a weekly league type deal? Then you play competitions,against other course? That,sounds like fun, what format are the matches, how are,the teams chosen?

Sorry again to interrupt the thread but we are thinking of moving to area and any information is helpful.

The traditional setup for men's clubs at courses in the area are weekend tournaments every 2 or 3 weeks during the summer. Formats are usually low gross low net, stableford, four ball etc and most clubs have a match play you can enter. Tournies are flighted by handicap depending on how many enter. In Murphy Creek Saddle Rock the flights are usually something like scratch-5, 5-12, 12-18 and so on. The standard format is to pay the best 2 or 3 gross and net. Plus you throw in $10 for a skins game per flight.

The interclub competition is something that a bunch of clubs in the area participate in. There are a handful of interclub comps throughout the summer- Murphy Creek Saddle Rock (join club I play in) are in a pod with Lone Tree, South Suburban and The Meadows. The winner of all these pods in the area play it off for some interclub championship or something at the end of summer. It's just an optional part of playing in clubs and most guys don't even play in these. In MC SR club we let everybody who want to play interclub get a chance. I know the other clubs stack their teams by only sending their best guys. Guess they just take it more seriously than MC SR.

I played in a handful of tournies in the FRGC that pseudoswede was mentioning last season. I had a good time. I didn't like paying tournament fee prices for every tournament so I doubt I'll up again this season but the group of guys were great to play with and getting to travel around town was a nice benefit.

What part of town might you move to? Perhaps somebody can get you more specific info on certain clubs.

The traditional setup for men's clubs at courses in the area are weekend tournaments every 2 or 3 weeks during the summer. Formats are usually low gross low net, stableford, four ball etc and most clubs have a match play you can enter. Tournies are flighted by handicap depending on how many enter. In Murphy Creek Saddle Rock the flights are usually something like scratch-5, 5-12, 12-18 and so on. The standard format is to pay the best 2 or 3 gross and net. Plus you throw in $10 for a skins game per flight.

The interclub competition is something that a bunch of clubs in the area participate in. There are a handful of interclub comps throughout the summer- Murphy Creek Saddle Rock (join club I play in) are in a pod with Lone Tree, South Suburban and The Meadows. The winner of all these pods in the area play it off for some interclub championship or something at the end of summer. It's just an optional part of playing in clubs and most guys don't even play in these. In MC SR club we let everybody who want to play interclub get a chance. I know the other clubs stack their teams by only sending their best guys. Guess they just take it more seriously than MC SR.

I played in a handful of tournies in the FRGC that pseudoswede was mentioning last season. I had a good time. I didn't like paying tournament fee prices for every tournament so I doubt I'll up again this season but the group of guys were great to play with and getting to travel around town was a nice benefit.

What part of town might you move to? Perhaps somebody can get you more specific info on certain clubs.

Thanks so much for the info. We're not sure yet where we'lol be looking. Much depends if our son and DIL, and our new grandson move back to Denver. makes it tough to do much Course research.

Thanks for those responses, forecast. Very helpful. What do you mean by tournament prices at FRGC? Isn't that supposed to be part of the 'initiation'?

Edel E-1

Thanks for those responses, forecast. Very helpful. What do you mean by tournament prices at FRGC? Isn't that supposed to be part of the 'initiation'?

Explanation I got was since they don't have a home club every tournament they schedule is subject to a tournament fee of around $100 or a little more instead of something reasonable like greens fees plus $15 or what not. I remember a westwoods we paid quite a bit over greens fees and received a free hat. Lol.

Also didn't think the payouts were very fair. I think I won twice and in neither case did the winnings end up paying for my entry fee. Doesn't seem right.

Very fun group of guys to play golf with though. Also use a cool app called Golf Genius that does live scoring during tournaments. Very cool

Since the club is small--and since FRGC doesn't have the influence like Golf Channel Am Tour--FRGC has to pay weekend corporate outing rates in order to schedule tournaments so far in advance. That means paying at or slightly above rack rate (with cart) just to get on the course. When you pay corporate outing rates, some golf courses will provide you with a bunch of swag (like hats, ball markers, Sharpies, etc.--and may or may not include range balls); other courses just say, "Here are your CTP markers, have fun." On top of that are the normal tournament fees for low gross, low net, and closest-to-the-pin (and 100% of all tournament fees are paid out). On top of that are the side games ($10-30) you can pay to get into, like cart bets, nassau bets, super skins, etc. If you're a real degenerate, you can get into even more "off-the-record" side games.

That said, the entry fee and tournament fees combined are still cheaper than the other two traveling tours in Colorado. Yes, the other two tours get more players, but I'm happy with the 16-32 guys I play with in FRGC; it means I get my cash winnings pretty soon after I finish my first beer.

Also use a cool app called Golf Genius that does live scoring during tournaments. Very cool

Golf Genius is such a cool app to use if you like scoreboard watching during your round. In fact, the USGA has purchased the software to use in some of their tournaments. And the golf app also tracks all of the official side bets in real-time, too.

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Titleist Vokey SM2 Red Saw 60° (to be retired)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot) (soon)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

Good to hear that about Golf Genius - I think Club Corp is going to switch to it sometime in the future.

Mizuno JPX900 EvoIII S (weights center channel port 1 & 2)
Mizuno GT190 Atmos Blue 6S
Mizuno CLK 19* Speeder EVO HB S
Titleist 4i AMT S300
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5-G KBS Tour
Mizuno S18 54.8/58.8
Carbon Ringo 1/4
Balls : 2017 ProV1x / KSig / Vice Pro+

I haven't been on WRX in waaayyyy too long. Glad to see you guys already have a 2 page 2017 Colorado thread going!

Going to add my .02 on FRGC....I would say the pros of it far outweigh the cons. Yes it is on the pricey side due to the reasons mentioned already. Basically paying a little bit of a premium to get those advanced tee times for the league.

But with that being said, you get to play a wide variety of courses, the guys who run the league flat out love to golf (as do all of us on this site), in the years I played there were no blatant sandbaggers in the league (well maybe except for me in my inaugural season :D more on that below) and you can have a good time regardless of your skill level.

I think that FRGC was the main reason I got back into playing golf seriously....when I joined them back in 2009....I wasn't playing much golf but I met one of the guys who was running it at a poker game and he sold me on joining the group. I remember stepping onto the 1st tee at GVR and hitting my first 2 tee shot into the junk and thinking what have I gotten myself into? I don't remember what I shot that day but it was bad (close to 100), but I do remember walking off the 9th green after making a birdie and hearing, "I wasn't so sure you were going to enjoy this league, but I think you'll love it once you shake the rust off"

Indeed I did.....pretty sure I started out as 20+ handicap for those first couple of months and got down into the mid teens by the end of the season. I hadn't played competitively since high school so it really got the juices flowing and got me to start taking the time to work on my game. The next year I bought a range pass at Meridian where my wife was taking lessons and really started to put in the time to get my game in shape.

I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a little friendly competition.

I've been in the men's club at the Links in Highlands Ranch for the past 3 seasons.....yes it is a par 62 with no par 5's but the course is in great shape all of the time and the greens are quite challenging without being silly like #4 & #14 at South Suburban. I love it for the following reasons....it's inexpensive, it's an easy walk, the guys in the club are great and there is a wide variety of personalities and skill levels. But the one thing that really sells me on it is trying to qualify for the end of the year Ryder Cup. It is the best weekend of golf for me every year. It's 10 gross qualifiers and 16 net along with 2 of the pros playing 4 different formats over 2 days. I've been on both the winning and losing side and it's a great time no matter what.

Okay enough rambling, all of this golf talk is making me wish I could play.....Top Golf and Swingers just don't quite cut it. :golfer:

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=1] [/size][/font]

2nd this on most men's clubs. There are small differences between each one but for the most part they are the same. Some are flighted, some are net and gross with no flights. Ours does a regular 9 hole tuesdays and two weekend events of varying format each month.

As far as interclub, that's a state-wide men's club championship that goes on all year. Our club, much like what forecast mentioned for MC is simply first-come first-serve. All of the interclub's have a local pool they play (4 different clubs) and the winner of each pool moves on until finally crowning a winner.

Explanation I got was since they don't have a home club every tournament they schedule is subject to a tournament fee of around $100 or a little more instead of something reasonable like greens fees plus $15 or what not. I remember a westwoods we paid quite a bit over greens fees and received a free hat. Lol.

Also didn't think the payouts were very fair. I think I won twice and in neither case did the winnings end up paying for my entry fee. Doesn't seem right.

Very fun group of guys to play golf with though. Also use a cool app called Golf Genius that does live scoring during tournaments. Very cool

That line about not even winning entry fees back is why I probably wouldn't play in it. That being said, most of the AM tours don't payout very well anyway from what I've heard. CGA pays out well though and to me has the cheapest entry fees ($120-$165 for 36 holes). I'm not sure how good each flight pays out because that always depends on the amount of entries but I don't think I've seen any flight winner walk away with less than $150.

Since the club is small--and since FRGC doesn't have the influence like Golf Channel Am Tour--FRGC has to pay weekend corporate outing rates in order to schedule tournaments so far in advance. That means paying at or slightly above rack rate (with cart) just to get on the course. When you pay corporate outing rates, some golf courses will provide you with a bunch of swag (like hats, ball markers, Sharpies, etc.--and may or may not include range balls); other courses just say, "Here are your CTP markers, have fun." On top of that are the normal tournament fees for low gross, low net, and closest-to-the-pin (and 100% of all tournament fees are paid out). On top of that are the side games ($10-30) you can pay to get into, like cart bets, nassau bets, super skins, etc. If you're a real degenerate, you can get into even more "off-the-record" side games.

That said, the entry fee and tournament fees combined are still cheaper than the other two traveling tours in Colorado. Yes, the other two tours get more players, but I'm happy with the 16-32 guys I play with in FRGC; it means I get my cash winnings pretty soon after I finish my first beer.

Either way guys, thanks for letting me know about that tour. I'll keep my eyes on it. I've been debating playing in another AM tour for weekends that aren't occupied by CGA so this is an option for me.

That line about not even winning entry fees back is why I probably wouldn't play in it. That being said, most of the AM tours don't payout very well anyway from what I've heard. CGA pays out well though and to me has the cheapest entry fees ($120-$165 for 36 holes). I'm not sure how good each flight pays out because that always depends on the amount of entries but I don't think I've seen any flight winner walk away with less than $150.

I would be wary of any golf league where you can win more than your entry fee back. It would attract the hustlers and sandbaggers. I imagine CGA events would be an exception.

With FRGC, GCAT, or GWAT, I'm out there to have fun golfing with a little competitiveness thrown in. If I win $0, I'm fine with that; if I win $141 (I think that's my career tournament high with FRGC), I'm fine with that, too.

In about 3 hours, the family and I are heading up to Summit County for our first skiing weekend of the season. Stay warm, everyone!

I would be wary of any golf league where you can win more than your entry fee back. It would attract the hustlers and sandbaggers. I imagine CGA events would be an exception.

With FRGC, GCAT, or GWAT, I'm out there to have fun golfing with a little competitiveness thrown in. If I win $0, I'm fine with that; if I win $141 (I think that's my career tournament high with FRGC), I'm fine with that, too.

In about 3 hours, the family and I are heading up to Summit County for our first skiing weekend of the season. Stay warm, everyone!

Low gross has nothing to do with sandbaggers.

But in any case- leagues/clubs have to try to make the majority of golfers happy when it comes to formats/payouts. I know that in the Saddle Rock Murphy Creek club there's a couple tournament formats that I cannot stand. But each year the majority votes to keep them so it is what it is.

Either way guys, thanks for letting me know about that tour. I'll keep my eyes on it. I've been debating playing in another AM tour for weekends that aren't occupied by CGA so this is an option for me.

Where do you play at Joelness?

I play on the north side (seems I'm the only one here). Colorado National is my home course.

As far as CGA net flights go, I have no idea how the sandbagging is. I do see how many people sign up for different flights and they're usually really solid, at least 10-12 in 1st flight every time and usually pretty good money. I think because it's CGA they have bigger bargaining rights and I've heard they don't pay courses much at all to host tournaments so that's how they keep the payouts so high.

I wish I could speak to it but with my hcp gross is the only option I have since I don't shoot 65 on the regular, lol.

Have fun skiing! I spent last weekend in Steamboat and the snow was awesome. The forecast looks like a great ski weekend also.

Low gross has nothing to do with sandbaggers.

But in any case- leagues/clubs have to try to make the majority of golfers happy when it comes to formats/payouts. I know that in the Saddle Rock Murphy Creek club there's a couple tournament formats that I cannot stand. But each year the majority votes to keep them so it is what it is.

Correct, low gross can't be sandbagged. However, all of their "club" events, which are hosted by them and count towards cup points have a few net flights in there also. As before, I can't speak to sandbagging or anything but they usually have a good size flight and payouts are great. As far as the guys, I really have ran into very few I didn't like. As with most of these tours, you get to know the guys in them pretty quick as you see and play with them often enough. I've made some really great friends playing CGA and can actually say my closest friend to date I met at the Collindale Invitational a couple years ago.

As for the last part, I skip our club match play every year for the same reason. They give 100% hcp and tee adjustments. I end up giving a 10 hcp 16 shots... In match play. I've been arguing it for a couple years but sadly it falls on deaf ears.

Random thought but my buddy just ordered a GC2 over the weekend. He has been building a DIY bay in his garage for about a month now and pulled the trigger. I'm pumped to get some 12-pack nights in his garage before the ice breaks!

Somehow Nash opened yesterday. There was still snow on every hole but it was glorious to get a little time in the dirt and make some of the first birdies of 2017!

I've been way too busy lately. I probably haven't swung a club since late October or early November. I really need to get my garage set up. This whole work thing keeps getting in the way of things I want to do lol. I have my hitting strip, projector and bought an Optishot to screw around on from time to time, but still need to build a platform for it and hang a screen. If I can prove to myself that I'll use it enough, I'll pony up and get a SkyTrak next year.

Edel E-1

Wellshire league has the schedule up and you can join for the 2017 season. Going on my 5th year now. This year will be interesting as they switch over to city water and hack the course up a bit, but the new greenskeeper has done a wonderful job so far so I don't see it being a huge issue. Anyone is welcome to join!

TM M4 10.5 Mitsubishi Rayon Tensei White 70X
Callaway Rogue 4 wood Hzrdus Yellow 6.5
TM Stage 2 tour hybrid 22* Altus 85X
SLDR 5-PW C Taper 120s
Cleveland CBX 50*
TM MG2 54*, 58*
Toulon Atlanta H4

Wellshire league has the schedule up and you can join for the 2017 season. Going on my 5th year now. This year will be interesting as they switch over to city water and hack the course up a bit, but the new greenskeeper has done a wonderful job so far so I don't see it being a huge issue. Anyone is welcome to join!

What kind of changes is the course going to undergo?

I've been way too busy lately. I probably haven't swung a club since late October or early November. I really need to get my garage set up. This whole work thing keeps getting in the way of things I want to do lol. I have my hitting strip, projector and bought an Optishot to screw around on from time to time, but still need to build a platform for it and hang a screen. If I can prove to myself that I'll use it enough, I'll pony up and get a SkyTrak next year.

rumors are a <$500 launch monitors are coming out. very interested. The wife might agree to a $500 LM but Skytrak would be a harder sell.

Oh - come and melt snow!!

Titleist 4i AMT S300
Mizuno S18 54.8/58.8
Carbon Ringo 1/4

rumors are a <$500 launch monitors are coming out. very interested. The wife might agree to a $500 LM but Skytrak would be a harder sell.

Oh - come and melt snow!!

That would be awesome if a cheap LM came out.

However, I continue to be a bit skeptical only because of cost of hardware. If there are manufacturing innovations that make it cheap to manufacture 10,000 fps cameras (like on a GC2) or doppler radar systems then I would buy it. Considering Foresight and Trackman sell their SOFTWARE for $2,000+ without expensive hardware I personally find it hard to believe.

All that said, I hope you're right! I want one too!

Yeah, I think the technology is getting better and less expensive overall, so I'm hoping they come out with something reasonably priced in the next year or two. I'm still mad I wasn't able to capitalize on the $1195 skytrak deal even though I had it in my cart. Oh well...

Edel E-1

Just found out they opened up a Club Champion in HR off of Country Line and University. They're running a grand opening special of 50% off fitting through 3/31. I'm contemplating doing it, even though I've done fittings through D'Lance years ago, but am definitely going to check it out. I'm just not sold on D'Lance overall...

Edel E-1

Just found out they opened up a Club Champion in HR off of Country Line and University. They're running a grand opening special of 50% off fitting through 3/31. I'm contemplating doing it, even though I've done fittings through D'Lance years ago, but am definitely going to check it out. I'm just not sold on D'Lance overall...

I've never had a fitting, but that really interests me. Drop the girls off at Park Meadows and should have ample time.

I've heard mixed reviews about D'Lance. I've had a few guys tell me they were terrible and one that really liked them.

I think they know their stuff (I've worked with PJ a couple times), but believe they mark up their clubs too much. I also somewhat felt pressured to purchase a set of clubs from them, where Club Champion apparently doesn't pressure you to do so and will give you your specs. D'Lance also has you hitting into a net with the computer behind you, so you don't have any semblance of ball flight. And they seemed to have a limited inventory of shafts and heads to hit, whereas CC seems to have a huge selection.

It's been years since I've been fit at D'Lance, so things may have changed though. I read that they now have Trackman LM's, so I'd be hopeful they use that now instead of the Golf Achiever which doesn't give you true spin.

I have a lifetime fitting at D'Lance, so I'm going to check them out here soon to see what has changed. I'm also going to check out Club Champion for comparison. I may pull the trigger for a full bag fitting at CC if I feel they can do a better job. I do like that they offer a SAM putter fitting.

Edit: For those interested in the CC special, here's the link: https://clubchampiongolf.com/locations/custom-golf-club-fitting-highlands-ranch-co

Edel E-1

I may give them a whirl as well because of the 50% off full bag. I normally get my stuff fitted with Dan Wetzel in HR. Would be nice to compare the two.

FYI: it's 50% full bag and 33% off of Driver, Iron, Putter fittings.

Titleist 4i AMT S300
Mizuno S18 54.8/58.8
Carbon Ringo 1/4