Does Taylor Made tip their shafts?

juniorgolf18

O.K. So, I found somewhere still able to get non-upcharge shafts for the 2016 M2 Driver. If I order any of the no upcharge shafts like the Rogue Silver, Kuro Kage Silver Tini, or the Speeder 661 Evolution TS and I don't want the shafts tipped 1 inch I need to specify "1 inch soft". Is that correct?

Tricky question since based on the TM web site it doesn't look like they are taking custom orders for the 2016 M2 so not sure exactly how the retailer might be able to do that.

However, if they can, this is what it looks like when you make the custom order on their web-site. How that exactly translates to the retailer's order you'll have to discuss with them.

O.K. So, I found somewhere still able to get non-upcharge shafts for the 2016 M2 Driver. If I order any of the no upcharge shafts like the Rogue Silver, Kuro Kage Silver Tini, or the Speeder 661 Evolution TS and I don't want the shafts tipped 1 inch I need to specify "1 inch soft". Is that correct?

Tricky question since based on the TM web site it doesn't look like they are taking custom orders for the 2016 M2 so not sure exactly how the retailer might be able to do that.

However, if they can, this is what it looks like when you make the custom order on their web-site. How that exactly translates to the retailer's order you'll have to discuss with them.

Yeah I'm not sure how either. Just told they can. I appreciate the comments, but I'm not sure I'm any less confused here. Are they still tipping driver no charge upgrades 1 inch? I think I need this answer first. Because it seems if that is the case, it would seem 1 inch soft would negate that...

Yeah I'm not sure how either. Just told they can. I appreciate the comments, but I'm not sure I'm any less confused here. Are they still tipping driver no charge upgrades 1 inch? I think I need this answer first. Because it seems if that is the case, it would seem 1 inch soft would negate that...

The answer is YES!!!

They Tip ALL Driver Shafts 1"

They also tip 3 Wood Shafts (Either Sleeved or Not Sleeved) 1"

The only way to promise this will NOT be the case is to custom order your stick and adjust the tipping during the process.

Taylormade QI10LS 10.5 (@9.5) Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6S (Testing Velocore + 6S)
Taylormade Stealth 2+ 15 (@14.50) Fujikura Motore Speeder 8.1S Tipped .5"
Callaway Apex "21" 19/3H Aldila Rogue Black TS95 Tipped .5"
Taylormade SLDR 4i DGSLS300S
Taylormade P750 7-PW P770 5i-6i DG AMT White S300
Taylormade MG2 52 DGTIS400, MG4TW 56/12 DGTIS400, & Tour Issued MG3 Hi Toe 60/09 DGTIS200 115
Scotty Cameron TeI3 Long Neck Newport 2 34" (34")
Bridgestone Tour B XS (Testing New TP5x)

The answer is YES!!!

The only way to promise this will NOT be the case is to custom order your stick and adjust the tipping during the process.

So "soft 1 inch" will result in the shaft coming as suggested from the manufacturer?

From what I've heard, yes they still tip 1". However, look at it this way - it doesn't really matter if they still do or not. The recommendation from the shaft manufacturer's is zero tipping for driver, so if you specify the max "soft" amount for tipping of 1" as shown above, then they can't add anything to the tip if the 'standard' practice is actually to tip less than 1" so you'll end up with no tipping either way.

The answer is YES!!!

So "soft 1 inch" will result in the shaft coming as suggested from the manufacturer?

To answer your question setting the custom order to "Soft -1" will get you standard tipping. "Most" OEM's Recommend no tipping for Driver Shafts with sleeved/adjustable drivers so tipping 1" would absolutely make the shaft feel way more stout & it can lower ballflight & spin as a result.

"Most" OEM's recommend anywhere between 1/2-1" for 3 Wood applications. 1-1 1/2" for 5 Wood so they are kinda in line when it comes to fairway wood application.

Taylormade QI10LS 10.5 (@9.5) Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6S (Testing Velocore + 6S)
Taylormade MG2 52 DGTIS400, MG4TW 56/12 DGTIS400, & Tour Issued MG3 Hi Toe 60/09 DGTIS200 115

Thank you. But, I find this whole thing ridiculous. I know of two companies still taking custom orders on the 2016 M2 and have gotten 2 different stories about this tipping issue. Retailer #1 says Taylormade doesn't tip their shafts at all. Retailer #2 first says Taylormade only tips driver ".5 inch firm" or "1 inch firm". I then attach a screenshot of the soft 1 inch option for the current M2 and reply back if its possible to do that but no response...

Thank you. But, I find this whole thing ridiculous. I know of two companies still taking custom orders on the 2016 M2 and have gotten 2 different stories about this tipping issue. Retailer #1 says Taylormade doesn't tip their shafts at all. Retailer #2 first says Taylormade only tips driver ".5 inch firm" or "1 inch firm". I then attach a screenshot of the soft 1 inch option for the current M2 and reply back if its possible to do that but no response...

It's been a HUGE debate on this forum for well over a year maybe even 2.

All I can tell you is "Assume" all Shafts (TM Graphics or Stock OEM Graphics) that came from TM since the SLDR Series (SLDR, Jetspeed, R15, Aeroburner (Yes they hacked an inch off my Rogue Silver custom & ruined it), M1, M2, on up have been tipped 1". Some even say the Policy started with the R1 series.

So is it safe to assume that a r1 tp graphics kiyoshi white has been tipped 1 inch?

Not really. It's a possibility but not really a safe assumption. If memory serves me, the reports of people checking if their shafts had been tipped for the R1 custom orders were not consistent.

Don't want to thread jack but I was thinking about pulling the kiyoshi white and installing it in a g25 tip. How much if any did ping tip driver shafts for the g25?

So is it safe to assume that a r1 tp graphics kiyoshi white has been tipped 1 inch?

Not really. It's a possibility but not really a safe assumption. If memory serves me, the reports of people checking if their shafts had been tipped for the R1 custom orders were not consistent.

Don't want to thread jack but I was thinking about pulling the kiyoshi white and installing it in a g25 tip. How much if any did ping tip driver shafts for the g25?

Nevermind. I did a search and found the answer.

This is correct, I have 2 R1 TP shafts with the Orange/Dark Grey TP Paint.

A Motore Speeder TS 6.2 & it has been tipped more than the Matrix RUL60 by 1/2. I'm not sure what the matrix was tipped if tipped at all but when you line up the Paint it has been tipped more.

The answer is YES!!!

why is this news? Titleist Tips their drivers as well , and im sure others do to ...maybe save for callaway who is notorious for not tipping anything and everything playing soft to flex... where is it printed that all shaft oems recomend zero tip trim for a driver? Im sure they are following the shaft makers recomendations, or else why preform an extra step ? that costs $

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

why is this news? Titleist Tips their drivers as well , and im sure others do to ...maybe save for callaway who is notorious for not tipping anything and everything playing soft to flex... where is it printed that all shaft oems recomend zero tip trim for a driver? Im sure they are following the shaft makers recomendations, or else why preform an extra step ? that costs $

Other than TM, Titleist is the only other company that has been found to do any additional tipping in the drivers. And they only tip some of the aftermarket upgrades (now at least - used to do it more but have been reducing the number of shafts in which they do it), and for the shafts they do tip it's only 1/2". They did it for their own reasons, not because they were following the shaft manufacturers recommendations.

Cost is negligible. They already have to trim the butt end, and it only takes a few more seconds and no additional equipment to trim some from the tip as well.

It's 'news' because it significantly changes how the shaft plays and people frequently have ended up with results that were completely unexpected.

Other than TM, Titleist is the only other company that has been found to do any additional tipping in the drivers. And they only tip some of the aftermarket upgrades (now at least - used to do it more but have been reducing the number of shafts in which they do it), and for the shafts they do tip it's only 1/2". They did it for their own reasons, not because they were following the shaft manufacturers recommendations.

Cost is negligible. They already have to trim the butt end, and it only takes a few more seconds and no additional equipment to trim some from the tip as well.

It's 'news' because it significantly changes how the shaft plays and people frequently have ended up with results that were completely unexpected.

Ok. I guess I just don't see how it's unexpected. Assuming you try before you buy. If your buying blindly then well , guess that's self explanatory.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

From what i've seen others post, the shafts in the TM fitting cart are not tipped. Second, many independent fitters don't use the TM fitting cart, it's not uncommon for them to use a more universal shaft fit system so the demo shafts can be used in multiple different OEM heads. Finally, it's unexpected because they never really made it clear that they were doing it and it's completely contrary to normal custom ordering practices. Even now, you can get completely different answers based on what CS rep you end up talking to.

From what i've seen others post, the shafts in the TM fitting cart are not tipped. Second, many independent fitters don't use the TM fitting cart, it's not uncommon for them to use a more universal shaft fit system so the demo shafts can be used in multiple different OEM heads. Finally, it's unexpected because they never really made it clear that they were doing it and it's completely contrary to normal custom ordering practices. Even now, you can get completely different answers based on what CS rep you end up talking to.

im not calling you personally out...BUT i would have to see with my own eyes that they are tipping customers orders and not the fitting carts... that seems unbelivable... as in woukd have to be a conscious decision as they both shoukd come down the same assembly line .... for independant fitters ..maybe so ..But that fault would be on the fitter ..not TM the fitter should know what TM does and set up their fitting carts accordingly

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Yea if the fitting carts from Taylor made aren't the "standard" what Taylor made does for custom orders then there's a problem obviously. I'm not sure I believe it but I would have to compare the shafts myself to find out. If that's the situation (TM fitting cart isn't tipped as standard) and the shaft isn't working for you from standard custom order), I think you have a case for TM to make it right. All shafts in Oem TM fitting cart should be the standard they use for custom orders

Ok. I guess I just don't see how it's unexpected. Assuming you try before you buy. If your buying blindly then well , guess that's self explanatory.

if you go to fujikura, aldilla, MRC.....they don't require tipping on divers......TM does it for spin I am sure, I started checking this out when I felt my blueboard in M2 felt noticeably different than past ones, and then I find this thread.........I can prolly drop down a flex

I just compared a few shafts in m drivers sold off the rack and the graphics line up exactly to the fitting cart shafts. They are tipped the same, an inch

I have a Hzrdus Black from TM that is tipped 1". Tip to top of red diamond logo should be 30.5" - mine measured 29.5".

WITB
TaylorMade Tour Issue M5 9.0 Kuro Kage Dual Core 60TX
Taylormade Tour issue M4 15* - Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
Taylormade Tour issue 2016 M2 18* 5 wood - Project X Hzrdus Black 95g 6.5
Mizuno MP 25 - 4-PW KBS C-Taper 120 S
Vokey SM7 50* - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Vokey SM6 54* - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Vokey SM7 60* - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Scotty Cameron 009
Titleist Pro V1x

if you go to fujikura, aldilla, MRC.....they don't require tipping on divers......TM does it for spin I am sure, I started checking this out when I felt my blueboard in M2 felt noticeably different than past ones, and then I find this thread.........I can prolly drop down a flex

Glad to hear someone with a level head on shaft flex etc. I recommended that very thin to a guy in another thread and he acted as if I'd slapped him . Stated " I know what flex I play thank you ". Which by the way was a addi6x. He rated that shaft tipped an inch was just " like rebar ". Lol. Wow. Addi and rebar have never been mentioned in the same sentence before that day I'm sure.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I just compared a few shafts in m drivers sold off the rack and the graphics line up exactly to the fitting cart shafts. They are tipped the same, an inch

What shaft models did you check? As I understand it, the stock shafts generally don't get tipped, this is about what happens with the custom upgraded shafts. So you'd have to do that with some non stock shaft options to get an accurate test.

What shaft models did you check? As I understand it, the stock shafts generally don't get tipped, this is about what happens with the custom upgraded shafts. So you'd have to do that with some non stock shaft options to get an accurate test.

Checked addi, rogue, Kage, and Fuji pro. Customs are tipped inch in fitting carts

I have a Hzrdus Black from TM that is tipped 1". Tip to top of red diamond logo should be 30.5" - mine measured 29.5".

Is that from the tip of the adapter without the club head in? I just received mine and want to know if they tipped it. I ordered it 1 inch soft.

If you have a caliper you can measure the tip to see where it begins to taper.Those shafts have a 3" parallel tip section I believe.

Checked addi, rogue, Kage, and Fuji pro. Customs are tipped inch in fitting carts

That's good. Then your cart is in better shape than some others that have done the same test.

Is that from the tip of the adapter without the club head in? I just received mine and want to know if they tipped it. I ordered it 1 inch soft.

Most tip to graphics measurements are to the tip of the shaft, not the tip of the adapter. But for the TM adapters, you can convert it pretty easily. The adapter extends ~3/8" beyond the actual tip of the shaft.