#TheWRX: The EPIC Event at Callaway Golf. 8 Members are treated to TheWRX

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got to see some of the Callaway guys again at the PGA Show. They are just a fun group of guys to talk shop with. Johnny did a great job on the booth design this year.

I feel you need to update your sig block for your wedges and add with tour issue lead tape ;)

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

I do not have any numbers but I now believe what the Epic 8 were reporting. Saturday was a good news, good news, good news day. First, UPS was able to change the delivery of my Epic from Monday to Saturday (but I was supposed to get Friday). Second, I went to the range and after some warm up I found the Epic to be very forgiving. Looking at the driver after I was done, most of the hits were heal or high on the club face and they still went straight. Between the wind and temperature, it was not a good day to judge distance, but I had a cross wind and it held the wind really well. Third I found the lower back injections that I started just might work. I ignored the doctor's advice and hit some golf balls. The issues with the back afterwards was much lower than before. So once they zip the nerve in my back, I should be able to play golf pain free.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5 driver w/ Project X Riptide 50 5.0
Callaway Epic Flash 3, 5, & 7 woods w/ Fujikura Pro 2.0 R2-6

Callaway Apex 21 DCB 4 iron w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0 
Callaway Apex 21 5 - AW w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0
Callaway Mack Daddy CB 56 w/ Project X Catalyst 60 5.5
Toulon Design Palm Beach Stroke Lab
Callaway Chrome Soft

I do not have any numbers but I now believe what the Epic 8 were reporting. Saturday was a good news, good news, good news day. First, UPS was able to change the delivery of my Epic from Monday to Saturday (but I was supposed to get Friday). Second, I went to the range and after some warm up I found the Epic to be very forgiving. Looking at the driver after I was done, most of the hits were heal or high on the club face and they still went straight. Between the wind and temperature, it was not a good day to judge distance, but I had a cross wind and it held the wind really well. Third I found the lower back injections that I started just might work. I ignored the doctor's advice and hit some golf balls. The issues with the back afterwards was much lower than before. So once they zip the nerve in my back, I should be able to play golf pain free.

"I ignored the doctor's advice...."

That always works out well....

I just received my Epic so I had to try it out. I only hit around 35 balls. It is now going to sit until late March when all of the procedures are done and healed. I am going through the sequence of epidural, facet block, and rhizotomy. I just could not wait until the middle of next week to hit it after all of the hype around it.

Callaway Chrome Soft

I feel like "The Epic 8" is a bit pompous. I pitched "The Hateful 8" in our threads many times but in the end people i don't think ended up hating us as much as predicted. Originally I figured the GolfWRX community and this trip was to me, like talking to girls at bars in University. If i could make it through the night without them hating me i've really accomplished something.

Anyway, that's neither here nor there.

Yeah the Epic is a great club

On another note, i'm wondering what the statute of limitations is on updating my signature to say that i'm probably gonna play my SGC Northwood putter this year. It's a sexy a** putter that i spent my hard earned yet worthless Canadian currency on

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I feel like "The Epic 8" is a bit pompous. I pitched "The Hateful 8" in our threads many times but in the end people i don't think ended up hating us as much as predicted. Originally I figured the GolfWRX community and this trip was to me, like talking to girls at bars in University. If i could make it through the night without them hating me i've really accomplished something.

On another note, i'm wondering what the statute of limitations is on updating my signature to say that i'm probably gonna play my SGC Northwood putter this year. It's a sexy a** putter that i spent my hard earned yet worthless Canadian currency on

You guys got it easy. I was one of the people sent to report on the TaylorMade RSi iron launch at various locations. Every TM troll and hater went after us with us reporting the results of face slots. As it is, I cannot complain about the eight of you being selected. You gave us a lot of good info and while you were at Callaway, I was playing a couple rounds of golf at Bay Hill. So I was OK.

Callaway Chrome Soft

You guys got it easy. I was one of the people sent to report on the TaylorMade RSi iron launch at various locations. Every TM troll and hater went after us with us reporting the results of face slots. As it is, I cannot complain about the eight of you being selected. You gave us a lot of good info and while you were at Callaway, I was playing a couple rounds of golf at Bay Hill. So I was OK.

I think we had a great group of guys go and the responses of guys following along were for the most part very constructive. There's trolls for every brand and it's hard not to snap back. Taylormade and Callaway probably get the brunt of them though.

Speaking of Taylormade, I see Golfwrx has another trip planned and is taking a few WRXers to their facility. That should be a great time and I'm excited to see who gets picked. These OEM's are really going out of their way to involve the consumer more and more.

10.5* G430 Max Diamana BF 60

15* G430 Max Diamana Ahina 70

21* Apex UW Diamana Ilima 80
22* (bent 23*) X Forged UT KBS Proto

Apex   MB 5-PW $-Taper 

Vokey SM9 Raw 50F, 56F, 60T

Toulon La Grange SB w/ KBS CT Tour

Jones Players Series 003

I think we had a great group of guys go and the responses of guys following along were for the most part very constructive. There's trolls for every brand and it's hard not to snap back. Taylormade and Callaway probably get the brunt of them though.

Speaking of Taylormade, I see Golfwrx has another trip planned and is taking a few WRXers to their facility. That should be a great time and I'm excited to see who gets picked. These OEM's are really going out of their way to involve the consumer more and more.

We did have a great group. We got along great together, gave each other the needle at times, and just had a blast

You go ahead and change your signature! You play what works don't matter if it was given to you or you paid for it!

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s

T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 50/12F KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 54/10S KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 58/08M KBS Tour

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto 
Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

How about the Hans Gruber 8?

Cobra King LTD 9*, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6X
Cobra King Tec 17*, Fujikura Axiom 105S

Adams A12 19*, Diamana Thump X
TM TP MC/MB, Fujikura Axiom 105S 
Vokey 250.08, SM9 54-S & 60-V, DG S400
Toulon Palm Beach

Just put both putters in your sig and rotate, I used to list all my putters since they ALL were in play on any given week due to poor performance from the previous week...lol!! But eventually narrowed down to 2, or 3, or 4 instead of 9!!

Callaway Mavrik SZ 9.0 VA Composites Nemesys 65 04
Callaway Mavrik SZ 15 VA Composites Nemesys 75 04
Callaway Mavrik Pro Hybrid 18* Veylix Rome 888 S
Callaway 2019 Apex Pro DOT 4-PW Mits MMT 125 TX/ Vega Mizar Tour Oban CT 115 X
Odyssey WHP #3-Stability Tour, Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5, Toulon Long Island Garage-Stability Shaft
Callaway MD5 Jaws Tour Grey 50/54/58 and  Cobra Tour Versatile 50/54/58 Mitsubishi MMT 125TX Graphite
Lamkin Sonar Plus Wrap

WITB Link

Jeff - You are actually the last person I would have expected to worry about putting a different putter in play then what was given to you at TheWRX.

I can't remember which one you ended up with but I brought along only the O-Works on my last trip and by the last day I was really starting to like it. It definitely has a different feel from the typical milled putter, its softer, but I could really tell that the ball would start rolling on its line a lot sooner after strike.

I'm going to use it once the courses open back up near me. I may experiment with a different head shape just to look at something different.

Twitter: @itsnotgriffin
Site: [url="http://www.thebottomgroove.com/"]www.thebottomgroove.com[/url]

WITB:
Callaway Big Bertha Epic 10.5
Callaway BBA 5 Wood
Callaway XR 7 Wood - Frankenstyle
Apex Hybrid 23deg
Apex Pro 5i-PW
MD3 52, 56 W-Grind
MD3 60 PM Grind
Odyssey O-Works - #1/3T (putter commitment issues)

First and foremost I have to send out a huge thanks to Callaway and GolfWRX for providing this opportunity. I had the trip of a lifetime and I feel like I cannot say "thank you" enough. When I was first contacted by HipCheck and asked if I would like to attend I was completely stunned. I wrote back "hell yes!", which I still don't think really conveyed how excited I was. Over the next few weeks the 8 of us were connecting through a group PM (along with HipCheck and Zak) so we could converse and get to know each other. Our chat is still going and I think is over 60 pages long.

I took a lot more photos than I have shared here, but in an effort to not re-post those photos other participants have shared or that I have already shared within the thread, I left them out.

Without further ado, here it is.......

The night before I left for the trip I was contacted by Johnny Rodriguez, a Callaway representative. He informed me and everyone else that he was to be our group leader and would take care of whatever we needed. The entire group was participating in a group text that had my phone dinging constantly. So much for sleep! Sunday morning I awoke before the sun so I could be at the airport by 5:15 to catch my flight out of Richmond to Dallas, where I had a short layover before heading to San Diego. I met up with Paul (Mackepa)in the airport and we chatted until we had to board the plane. Unfortunately we sat a mile apart on the airbus.

We landed around noon in San Diego we were met at the front door by a driver holding a Callaway sign. We followed him to the car (a nice BMW limo) and off we went, heading to the hotel which was about 30-40 minutes away. Once we arrived, Johnny was waiting for us. All I can say about Johnny is: what an awesome guy! He gave us our room keys and told us to get settle and come back down for a meet and greet. When I arrived at my room I couldn’t believe my eyes; the swag was in full effect already!

After freshening up a bit, I headed down to the bar and met everyone. HipCheck, QMany, Gregh729,Waterboy, Sean2, Mackepa, Zakkozuchowski, MtlJeff, and Brizam were all there hanging out with Johnny, enjoying some tasty beverages and snacks. We chatted and laughed and I knew immediately that we were going to have a good time together. The whole crew are great guys who LOVE golf and LOVE discussing anything about golf.

Around 5:00 we jumped on the shuttle and headed to the Ely Callaway Performance Center (ECPC) for a meet and greet with the folks from Callaway. I think everyone was in awe when we arrived. We were greeted at the gate by Chip Brewer and several other high-ups who were smiling ear to ear and shaking our hands, telling us they were happy to meet us and glad to have us there. We walked through the gate and all I could think was “this place is amazing!”. There was food, drinks, and even a guy who only spoke Spanish hand rolling cigars for us. We spent the first hour eating, drinking, rubbing elbows with the Callaway folks and chatting about golf.

After a couple of beverages and some awesome food, we were given a tour of the facility. We got to see the build room, the simulator room, the putter fitting room, the robot room, etc., but we were not allowed to take any photos inside the building, which is why you won’t see any in the reviews from participants. After the tour we were split up into two groups; one group stayed inside and did the putter fitting and got to hit in the simulator while the other group went outside to play the 7 hole putting course set up on the outdoor putting green with some of the Callaway folks. Let me tell you, they were having as much fun as we were during the putting contest.

When I went in for my putter fitting I met Nick Arther. Nick and I chatted for a little while about my putting before he watched from all sides as I rolled several putts. He then asked about my misses, my like, dislikes, and current putter(s). After some conversation and trying different putters, Nick suggested I go with a #1 Wide in the new putter line and I agreed.

We all cycled in and out of the putter room, simulator room, and outdoor putting green. The Callaway staff was very engaging and sincerely curious about who we were and where we were from. They asked more questions about us than we did about them. They were genuinely interested in getting to know us and it showed.

Around 8:30 we headed back to the hotel to partake in a few drinks and discuss our day. We were all like a bunch of kids who just spent three hours in a candy store without our parents. We talked, laughed, and Greg fell asleep….haha. Around 10:00 Johnny started talking about In-N-Out. Even though we had just eaten a few hours ago, everyone wanted to go. Johnny talked to the front desk clerk at the hotel and then grabbed the valet guy who pulled the hotel van around to the front. We hopped in and headed out. We placed our orders and waited calmly for our food. Once it was done we jumped back in the van and raced back to the hotel. We were hoping Greg was still there, asleep by the fire pit so we could wake him with the lingering scent of In-N-Out burgers. No such luck, he was gone!

The next morning we all met for breakfast before heading back to the ECPC for our fitting and technology fair. I don’t think anyone slept well, but we were raring to go! We arrived at the ECPC around 8:15 and were quickly assigned into our groups. My group headed to the range for our fittings while th other group headed inside for the technology fair. My fitter was Gerritt Pon, the same guy that does all of Phil Mickelson’s club builds. Needless to say I was excited. I hit some warm up and then he put me to work hitting my current 6 iron and driver.

Gerritt studied the numbers and told me my current set-up (2016 Apex Pros with KBS Tour V in X flex) was giving me fairly good numbers, but not great dispersion. We worked on the irons first and he had me hit several shafts including DGS400, Steelfiber, PX, and Modus. He said I was getting the best numbers and dispersion with the Modus130S and that he felt a heavier shaft suited my swing better. Next we went to the driver. Same story here: he said my current set-up (GBB with Rogue Silver 60X) was giving pretty good numbers, but though there might be room for some improvement. We tried several shafts and both 2017 heads. He quickly came to the conclusion that the standard head was best for me and we settled on a Diamana Blueboard 60X. This set-up gave me better launch, 4-8 yards more carry and around 300 rpm less spin than my current stick. I was sold.

After the driver and irons fitting we moved on to the wedges. I tried the MD3 and the new forged wedges, which I LOVED!! So smooth and silky soft. These are by far some of the best wedges Callaway has ever produced. Gerritt suggested putting the same Modus 130S in the wedges so I agreed. I wasn’t about to question a guy with his pedigree in the fitting business. Gerritt also suggested I go with low bounce wedges since I have a fairly shallow angle of attack and again I agreed. I've always had an affinity for low bounce wedges. He then pulled out a PM grind 64* bent to 60* and asked me to try it.

I have never cared for the look of that wedge but I tried it anyway. Once I got past the aesthetics it was good, really good! It was very versatile and easy to hit different shots with. Now here’s the amazing part: Gerritt tells me that the PM grind wedge I was hitting was made for none other than Phil Mickelson and that Phil had tested it along with a few others. How cool is that?? You want to hear something even cooler??

After I hit it a few more times Gerritt asked me if I liked the wedge, and of course I said “hell yes!”. Just the fact that my favorite golfer had held this club in his hand and hit shots with it at the ECPC was enough for me to love it. He replied “take it with you”. My jaw dropped. What a souvenir! Once the fitting was over we headed inside for the tech fair. We talked drivers, irons, putters, wedges, and more with some of Callaway’s best and brightest product engineers and developers. We even got to see some new irons that I can’t even talk about. I’ll just say they looked awesome!

A highlight of the day was meeting the wedge king himself, Mr. Roger Cleveland. He snuck in and spent some time watching us hit balls during our fitting. When I was trying out Phil’s wedge he came over to me and asked me to hit a few different pitch shots for him. He then gave me a pitching lesson I’ll never forget. He was so knowledgeable and I was soaking it in. He gave me a few practice drills that I will continue to work on.

Around noon we headed to Callaway headquarters where we were greeted by the legendary Harry Arnett and several other Callaway folks we had met the night before. They served us lunch which we scarfed down in their awesome board room. Soon after we were whisked away for a tour. We went through a detailed presentation of their tooling and milling room, got the see how golf balls are made and tested, went to the putting lab (an amazing place), and even got to see the Tour Department where clubs for PGA Tour players are made, and our clubs were currently under construction. How cool is that?!?!

When the tour was over we took a short break on an outdoor patio and played some PuttSkee; its like Skee Ball but on a smaller scale, using a putter and golf ball. Zak was obsessed with this game! It wasn’t long before we returned to the board room for a round table discussion with Chip Brewer, Harry Arnett, Alan Hocknell, Sean Toulon, and several others to discuss the past, present, and future of Callaway. We were encouraged to ask questions and we were given very candid answers. It was very evident to me that these guys are feedback driven; they want it no matter if its positive or negative. Chip discussed changing the culture of Callaway from a stiff disciplinarian style of leadership to a more open and engaging style of leadership. Let me tell you, this guy gets it. He understands creativity blossoms with freedom in an environment that allows the creator room to move and think. Don’t get me wrong, there are deadlines and these guys take their jobs seriously, but they do so with the freedom to create, in which they have found a passion for doing so.

After the round table we headed back to the hotel to freshen up before sitting down to dinner with Harry, Sean, Nate, Jason, Tyler, and Chad, and Johnny (sorry if I left anyone out). It was a sort-of continuation of our round table discussion at headquarter but in a more relaxed and casual atmosphere. I have to say that what you see of Harry in videos is truly him. He’s a great guy with good sense of humor who likes to laugh and joke around. All of the folks from Callaway are people you would love to have in your weekend foursome or to have in your group on a golf trip. They know how to tell stories, laugh, and have a good time. After dinner we all hit the hay early in preparation for our big day at Torrey Pines.

Once we finished breakfast we jumped in the shuttle and headed to Torrey Pines. The atmosphere in the shuttle was electric. Everyone was excited and was beaming with positive energy. We pulled up to find our bags lined up, full of shiny new clubs. What a sight it was! It was like Christmas morning and we were the kids checking out the gifts from Santa under the tree. Once we all checked out our clubs we loaded up and headed to the range for a quick warm up. When we arrived on the first tee, Amanda was there with a photographer to snap some photos while the foursomes were announced. Greg hit the opening tee shot and piped it right down the middle. The guy has nerves of steel, I tell you!

The on course experience was difficult to put into words. Beautiful vistas of the Pacific Oceans, rolling fairways, perfect conditions. I played with Scott (Waterboy), Jason Finley, and Sean Toulon. Let me tell you, these guys were a blast. We shared stories and talked golf the entire round. Sean even shared some photos with us that no one has seen yet. It was easy to see this guy really loves golf and loves his job. We played the green tees (~6700 yards) which played much longer than that. It was tough, but it was fun!

After the round Amanda pulled us aside for a post round interview. Before we started I asked her if we should say things like “I left a few shots out there”, “I hit the ball well all day”, or “I had good numbers in all day”. She just laughed and said “you better not!”. We were then treated to a post-round reception where we all had a few drinks and some food while telling tales of our round at Torrey. I can’t tell you how much fun that was. The Callaway guys really seemed to be enjoying themselves and at no time did I feel like they didn’t want to be there. I think they were having just as much fun as we were!

It was getting dark so we piled in the shuttle and headed back to the hotel. We were tired but we were still smiling. For many of us, this was the first time we had the opportunity to play a course like Torrey Pines and it was definitely the first time we did so while being treated like kings. We arrived at the hotel and found travel bags and custom wedges lined up at the entrance. Kids in a candy store again, I tell you! We agreed to take a break and meet up again in the hotel restaurant for dinner. We spent the evening telling stories about our round and the experiences we will never forget.

My signature now contains all clubs I was fitted for at the ECPC.

Hot Rod,

How's it going buddy. I can't decide between the two EPIC heads. Can you elaborate why you went with Standard over SZ? Assuming you tried both, what were your numbers?

SZ for people that need help with spin and GBB is for people that need help with direction. Honestly, it seems to be 50/50 on what driver is better for a person. SZ slightly open compare to GBB with a slightly draw bias. Start with a 9* head if the draw bias is a no go for you.

Try both and see what produces the best numbers with the same shaft but consistency should be important as well, IMO.

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

Hot Rod,

How's it going buddy. I can't decide between the two EPIC heads. Can you elaborate why you went with Standard over SZ? Assuming you tried both, what were your numbers?

The standard Epic gave me more favorable numbers and better dispersion. Spin was too low with the SZ. I was getting ~2200 with the standard and the fitter said that was perfect for my launch angle and swing speed.

I also like to have the ability to hit a draw with the driver and I struggled to do so with the SZ.

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Tensei AV Raw White 65X

PXG Gen 6 0311 15* - Aldila Tour Blue 75X

PXG  Gen 5 0311 19* - Aldila Tour Blue 85X

PXG 0311T Gen 5 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

SZ for people that need help with spin and GBB is for people that need help with direction. Honestly, it seems to be 50/50 on what driver is better for a person. SZ slightly open compare to GBB with a slightly draw bias. Start with a 9* head if the draw bias is a no go for you.

Try both and see what produces the best numbers with the same shaft but consistency should be important as well, IMO.

I was able to demo both heads. Unfortunately, the Callaway Demo guys forgot to charge their TrackMan so I wasn't able to get any numbers. Both heads felt great with the standard head "Apex height" being higher than the SZ (as expected).

HaHa, that should be my epitaph...

And no, it hasn't always worked out well, but I wouldn't trade one single memory, lol?

All the Best,

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Hot Rod,

The standard Epic gave me more favorable numbers and better dispersion. Spin was too low with the SZ. I was getting ~2200 with the standard and the fitter said that was perfect for my launch angle and swing speed.

I also like to have the ability to hit a draw with the driver and I struggled to do so with the SZ.

Thanks Hot Rod

And no, it hasn't worked out well, but I wouldn't trade one single memory, lol?

All the Best,

RP

It only took me 5 years to get my official Richard response! I now feel officially a WRX'er....

And no, it hasn't worked out well, but I wouldn't trade one single memory, lol

All the Best,

RP

It only took me 5 years to get my official Richard response! I now feel officially a WRX'er....

I remember my first Richard response like it was yesterday.

BB Alpha 815 DBD 10.5 Fubuki Alpha 50X
X2 Hot 2 Deep Fubuki K 70 X
Callaway Steelhead XR Tensei Blue 75 X
Adams Super LS 17 & 19 Kuro Kage 80 X
Callaway X Forged Utility 21 KBS Tour V X
Callaway Apex MB 18 4-PW KBS Tour V X
Callaway MD2 52 58 KBS Tour X
Odyssey Versa Tank 7
Srixon Z Star
Garmin G5 Bushnell X7

I just received my Epic so I had to try it out. I only hit around 35 balls. It is now going to sit until late March when all of the procedures are done and healed. I am going through the sequence of epidural, facet block, and rhizotomy. I just could not wait until the middle of next week to hit it after all of the hype around it.

I've been having the same treatment for about six years now and it's been a game changer for me. I don't know how much difference there is in the terminology but my deal has been epidural, medial branch block and radio frequency ablation. I've mixed in a couple of chiropractic treatments as well.

So far as ignoring the doc's advice, my guy told me it was OK to play nine holes about four or five hours after an injection. Zapping the nerves is a little bit different deal though. I didn't really feel like hitting balls after that. Just had my third ablation a couple of weeks ago. Mine seem to last about two years before the nerves regenerate and we have to wack em' again.

Sure beats the constant pain I was in for years prior that's for sure.

Ping G430 Max with Ping Distanza or MP5 Ladies flex or Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue 45 in Senior

Ping G430 Five Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Seven Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Nine Wood Ping Distanza

Ping i230 5-PW Red Dot + 1"  Recoil Dart 105

Ping i230 Utility Wedge +1" Recoil Dart 105

Ping Glide 4.0 56 Degree ES Red Dot ZZ 115

Scotty Cameron Squareback 2.5 341/2"

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 35"

thx for the info about the trip, wish i was there

[size=4][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][b]DRIVER[/b]- Callaway Rogue Oban Tour Limited 60s
[b]3 WOOD[/b]- GBB Epic Oban Kiyoshi Gold 75s
[b]HYBRID[/b]- Titleist 818 H1 19/23 Hybrid Atmos HB Tour Spec 85s
[b]IRONS[/b]- Srixon 765/565 Nippon Modus 105s
[b]GAP[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 52 Modus 105
[b]SAND[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 54 Modus 105
[b]LOB[/b]- Callaway MD3 Chrome 58 Modus 105
[b]PUTTER[/b]- Bettinardi Queen Bee #6
[b]BALL[/b]- Callaway Chrome Soft X[/font][/size]

I've been having the same treatment for about six years now and it's been a game changer for me. I don't know how much difference there is in the terminology but my deal has been epidural, medial branch block and radio frequency ablation. I've mixed in a couple of chiropractic treatments as well.

So far as ignoring the doc's advice, my guy told me it was OK to play nine holes about four or five hours after an injection. Zapping the nerves is a little bit different deal though. I didn't really feel like hitting balls after that. Just had my third ablation a couple of weeks ago. Mine seem to last about two years before the nerves regenerate and we have to wack em' again.

It is the same thing. One doctor uses the names I listed and another doctor uses the names you listed. My doctor said no hitting balls for one month after an injection. I have had pain after golf and occasionally during golf since 1989. And it is difficult to play two days in a row. I am glad to hear yours works and hope when I am done that I will be pain free. In April I plan to go down to Bay Hill to play some golf to celebrate my 60th birthday and I hope to do it pain free.

Callaway Chrome Soft

To the Epic 8 or anyone else. Sorry I haven't gone through all 66 pages but I'd really like to know if anyone switched from an XR16 Pro? I was able to get a near new 9* recently. I set it to 10* neutral and it has the Evo II speeder ts. I finally got to take it to the course today and holy smokes it is a beast. I played it on the back 9 and drove the ball better than I have in quite some time. It immediately benched a 917 D3. I was 10-15 yards longer than I've ever been on most of those holes. To anyone that has hit both, is it worth the 5 bills to switch to the Epic? Epic would have to be a monster to beat out what I saw today.

PXG 0811X+ proto 10.5 Aldila NV blue
Cobra F9 3 wood
PING G410 3 hybrid Tensei blue 
Srixon Z585 4-pw Modus 105
PING Glide 2.0 50* KBS Tour
PING Glide 2.0 56* KBS Tour
TM high toe big foot 60*
Scotty Phantom X 5.5
Srixon Zstar

It is the same thing. One doctor uses the names I listed and another doctor uses the names you listed. My doctor said no hitting balls for one month after an injection. I have had pain after golf and occasionally during golf since 1989. And it is difficult to play two days in a row. I am glad to hear yours works and hope when I am done that I will be pain free. In April I plan to go down to Bay Hill to play some golf to celebrate my 60th birthday and I hope to do it pain free.

Wow. A month! My doc's a golfer so I don't know if that's got anything to do with it but as we've gotten to know each other better he's become much less strict with the "doctors orders" stuff. Even after an ablation he's fine with me resuming normal activities the next day. I usually have some soreness for up to a week but no big deal. In fact, I always refuse the hydrocodone they prescribe afterwards. I hate that stuff for one thing but I just don't think that the discomfort warrants the opioids.

I'll be 64 the end of March so we're somewhat close in age although I don't know if that really matters much as everybody's different. I initially hurt mine as a firefighter back in 1981. Fell off of a house roof and landed on my air pack. So that's 35 years of it and nothing has helped as much as the injection/ablation route.

I've had the same procedure twice on my neck as well. Enjoyed a double whiplash from being rear ended on an interstate five years ago that resulted in two cervical discs being crushed. That one forced me to retire but, again, the injections have been a godsend. Lost most of my range of motion insofar as turning my head but controlling the pain is all that matters if you ask me.

I don't know that I can say that I'm "pain free" but the improvement is beyond significant. If you're like me you will still have to be sensible about stuff like yard work and other household chores as excess always puts me back down for a while -although now it's for a few hours as opposed to days or weeks like previously. Keep your weight under control and try and strengthen your core muscles and you should be good to go. I always ice my back after exertion as well just as preventive measure. Helps keep any inflammation under control and I always seem to feel better the next day.

Best of luck.

Ping G430 Max with Ping Distanza or MP5 Ladies flex or Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue 45 in Senior

To the Epic 8 or anyone else. Sorry I haven't gone through all 66 pages but I'd really like to know if anyone switched from an XR16 Pro? I was able to get a near new 9* recently. I set it to 10* neutral and it has the Evo II speeder ts. I finally got to take it to the course today and holy smokes it is a beast. I played it on the back 9 and drove the ball better than I have in quite some time. It immediately benched a 917 D3. I was 10-15 yards longer than I've ever been on most of those holes. To anyone that has hit both, is it worth the 5 bills to switch to the Epic? Epic would have to be a monster to beat out what I saw today.

I didn't switch from the XR16 pro, but I did hit it a few times when I was fit for the Epic SZ. I actually liked the XR16 a lot, but for me, the thing that stood out the most for me with the Epic is even while being long, the thing only wanted to go straight. Even if I hit the ball offline, it was straight where I was aiming.

I didn't get a 14mph jump in ballspeed or anything but my issue has been directional control. I saw maybe 4 mph jump in ballspeed over my gamer and was getting an extra 10 yards or so with the rollout from lowering my spin. It just sets up really nice for my eye and was able to consistently find the middle of the face.

For me it was worth the money. When my driving is good, I score well. When my driving is poor, my entire game struggles. I feel like I have found a new confidence off the tee and about my game for the coming year just because I have belief that I will hit the ball in the middle. YMMV

Wow. A month! My doc's a golfer so I don't know if that's got anything to do with it but as we've gotten to know each other better he's become much less strict with the "doctors orders" stuff. Even after an ablation he's fine with me resuming normal activities the next day. I usually have some soreness for up to a week but no big deal. In fact, I always refuse the hydrocodone they prescribe afterwards. I hate that stuff for one thing but I just don't think that the discomfort warrants the opioids.

I'll be 64 the end of March so we're somewhat close in age although I don't know if that really matters much as everybody's different. I initially hurt mine as a firefighter back in 1981. Fell off of a house roof and landed on my air pack. So that's 35 years of it and nothing has helped as much as the injection/ablation route.

I've had the same procedure twice on my neck as well. Enjoyed a double whiplash from being rear ended on an interstate five years ago that resulted in two cervical discs being crushed. That one forced me to retire but, again, the injections have been a godsend. Lost most of my range of motion insofar as turning my head but controlling the pain is all that matters if you ask me.

I don't know that I can say that I'm "pain free" but the improvement is beyond significant. If you're like me you will still have to be sensible about stuff like yard work and other household chores as excess always puts me back down for a while -although now it's for a few hours as opposed to days or weeks like previously. Keep your weight under control and try and strengthen your core muscles and you should be good to go. I always ice my back after exertion as well just as preventive measure. Helps keep any inflammation under control and I always seem to feel better the next day.

Best of luck.

Thanks for sharing your experience. Hopefully I am as happy when I get done with the procedures. Based on the epidural I think I am on the right path. My lower back has not been this good in a long time. I get the facet block on Thursday. I will see what the doctor says then about hitting golf balls after the block.

Callaway Chrome Soft

Best of luck.

Thanks for sharing your experience. Hopefully I am as happy when I get done with the procedures. Based on the epidural I think I am on the right path. My lower back has not been this good in a long time. I get the facet block on Thursday. I will see what the doctor says then about hitting golf balls after the block.

Please don't interpret what I stated as encouragement to disregard your doctor's directives. It didn't occur to me that it might have come across that way until I reread my post. He's obviously a helluva lot smarter than I am and if you're like me the last that you need is another smartazz influencing you to do even more stupid stuff!

I get the sense that we're both the kind of guys that probably played football, basketball and baseball with torn and sprained tendons and ligaments, cracked bones and jammed joints. The problem is, you're only eight foot tall and bulletproof for so long. After that, you're just stupid. Learning where the breaking point occurs is kind of important in how your quality of life will shake out for whatever productive future you have left. I've always erred on the side of doing more rather than less but even that has its limitations.

I will say, however, that when undergoing the "block" be sure to listen VERY carefully to the doc and make sure that you provide him with the most accurate feedback possible when he asks about pain, tingling, etc. as he maneuvers the needle around. Any misinterpretation of this process could result in him burning out the wrong nerve clusters. Not that that in and of itself is harmful it's just that the offending nerves will remain unaffected as will your pain.

Also, be patient regarding the recovery. The burned nerves will be very "angry" for up to three weeks and it can take that long for them to actually "die". In my case, I always feel way better immediately after the procedure but that's primary due to the numbing agents injected in the area prior to the procedure - much like the epidural and block. However, within a couple of days you might notice a slight increase in discomfort as the anesthesia wears off and the nerves start throwing tantrums. Do not despair - it's just part of the deal. In fact, I have found that the journey to "pain free" sometimes is akin to when your foot falls asleep. It's somewhat uncomfortable while it's "waking up" but then suddenly and almost without you even realizing it, it's awake and back to normal. It's not always (in fact, seldom) a night to day deal.

Again, best of luck. If you have any specific questions that I might be able to help answer feel free to PM me. I know that going into it for the first time can be a little daunting and mess with your head. I'm no doc but I am a "veteran" of the war on back pain!

Please don't interpret what I stated as encouragement to disregard your doctor's directives. It didn't occur to me that it might have come across that way until I reread my post. He's obviously a helluva lot smarter than I am and if you're like me the last that you need is another smartazz influencing you to do even more stupid stuff!

I get the sense that we're both the kind of guys that probably played football, basketball and baseball with torn and sprained tendons and ligaments, cracked bones and jammed joints. The problem is, you're only eight foot tall and bulletproof for so long. After that, you're just stupid. Learning where the breaking point occurs is kind of important in how your quality of life will shake out for whatever productive future you have left. I've always erred on the side of doing more rather than less but even that has its limitations.

I will say, however, that when undergoing the "block" be sure to listen VERY carefully to the doc and make sure that you provide him with the most accurate feedback possible when he asks about pain, tingling, etc. as he maneuvers the needle around. Any misinterpretation of this process could result in him burning out the wrong nerve clusters. Not that that in and of itself is harmful it's just that the offending nerves will remain unaffected as will your pain.

Also, be patient regarding the recovery. The burned nerves will be very "angry" for up to three weeks and it can take that long for them to actually "die". In my case, I always feel way better immediately after the procedure but that's primary due to the numbing agents injected in the area prior to the procedure - much like the epidural and block. However, within a couple of days you might notice a slight increase in discomfort as the anesthesia wears off and the nerves start throwing tantrums. Do not despair - it's just part of the deal. In fact, I have found that the journey to "pain free" sometimes is akin to when your foot falls asleep. It's somewhat uncomfortable while it's "waking up" but then suddenly and almost without you even realizing it, it's awake and back to normal. It's not always (in fact, seldom) a night to day deal.

Again, best of luck. If you have any specific questions that I might be able to help answer feel free to PM me. I know that going into it for the first time can be a little daunting and mess with your head. I'm no doc but I am a "veteran" of the war on back pain!

When I tried out the Epic driver, I knew the few shots I did hit were not going to damage anything. I'm doing the procedures now so I will be ready when spring comes. Also I realize everyone's situation is different. I have issues with every disc between L2 and S1 with two of them herniated. But the MRI identified the specific area that is causing the pain. Last winter I had surgery on my left index finger and waited well past the time the doctor said before I started to hit balls. I knew I was not ready and if I did starting balls, my grip would cause issues and change my swing. My goal to be ready to head down to Bay Hill at the end of April to celebrate my 60th birthday.

Callaway Chrome Soft