***ATTENTION***IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT***ATTENTION***IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT***ATTENTION

Last year, in an effort to improve the capability of our forums, we switched to new software. We expected tremendous scalability and rapid customization that would significantly improve each Member's experience across multiple devices and integrate flawlessly with social media platforms.

Unfortunately, after a significant capital expense, we have decided that the length of time and the additional cost to reach our goals make this enterprise untenable.

Thus, we have made the difficult decision to transition the forums to our original software platform. We’re excited that, in the nearly two years since we began the process of our most recent switch, our original platform has been upgraded significantly, and we are confident that the reversion will not only provide the stability that we desperately needed prior to our last move but will also return to the Membership the high level of customization that made our online community so great. We have also added technical resources to the GolfWRX staff that will allow us to build custom modules and modifications that we are confident will take the forums to the next level.

We remain the world's largest online golf community, and we still hold true to our core values and mission statement as written in 2005. Bearing both of those elements in mind, being the best and offering our Members a platform that is world-class are both requirements, not options, and it is that spirit that has motivated this decision.

So, please pardon our mess over the next five days or so while we transition the forums.

A few important notes: Current content will be accessible during that time, but the forums will be READ ONLY, and you will not be able to start new threads or reply to posts. Personal Messaging is enabled but PMs sent/received from the time the board was frozen will not carry over. We know this is inconvenient, and we apologize, and we greatly appreciate GolfWRXers bearing with us through the transition.

We are very excited about starting this next chapter for GolfWRX and getting back to the high-quality Member experience we all expect as soon as possible.

The Wizard Short Game Technique Videos(merged)

Comments

• EtzwaneEtzwane Members  248WRX Points: 79Posts: 248 Fairways
    I'd say that the setup needs a bit of work: ball position possibly not forward enough (camera angle seems a bit off and tilted so I can't say for sure), handle too centered and possibly grip. It looks like there a little bit of lateral head movement in the stroke.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • tombombtombomb Members  25WRX Points: 27Handicap: 9.4Posts: 25 Bunkers
    Etzwane wrote:
    <br />
    I'd say that the setup needs a bit of work: ball position possibly not forward enough (camera angle seems a bit off and tilted so I can't say for sure), handle too centered and possibly grip. It looks like there a little bit of lateral head movement in the stroke.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    thanks for the reply. Putting the ball even further forward is going to feel very strange indeed! Regarding the handle...do you think I need more forward shaft lean? Ill work on keeping my head still, thanks again
    Posted:
    Taylormade M1 11.5 w/ speeder 757 evo Stiff
    calaway xhot 4 wood
    Ping i25 CFS stiff
    Callaway Tour grind 52/56/ PM gind 60
    Oddysey black edition #7
  • tombombtombomb Members  25WRX Points: 27Handicap: 9.4Posts: 25 Bunkers
    Does the Callaway PM grind work ok with this technique?
    Posted:
    Taylormade M1 11.5 w/ speeder 757 evo Stiff
    calaway xhot 4 wood
    Ping i25 CFS stiff
    Callaway Tour grind 52/56/ PM gind 60
    Oddysey black edition #7
  • EtzwaneEtzwane Members  248WRX Points: 79Posts: 248 Fairways
    tombomb wrote:
    <br />
    Etzwane wrote:
    <br />
    I'd say that the setup needs a bit of work: ball position possibly not forward enough (camera angle seems a bit off and tilted so I can't say for sure), handle too centered and possibly grip. It looks like there a little bit of lateral head movement in the stroke.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    thanks for the reply. Putting the ball even further forward is going to feel very strange indeed! Regarding the handle...do you think I need more forward shaft lean? Ill work on keeping my head still, thanks again<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Ball should be around low point and shaft in line with leading arm so not much shaft lean.<br />
    <br />
    I suspect that if you contact Dan you could purchase his videos, they show the basic setup and shot and then all the adaptations needed for various shots, that's where the core of the system is.
    Posted:
  •  Dave D Dave D Members  4050WRX Points: 204Handicap: 0.0Posts: 4,050 Titanium Tees
    tombomb wrote:
    <br />
    I want these videos so badly haha, they sound fantastic and look to of helped so many people. I'm going out to Spain tomorrow for 4 days to play golf and my short game is in pieces. Its a real shame I cant get hold of these so I can watch them on my flight over. I am fatting and thinning everything. I have read through this entire thread trying to pickup on a few tips, here is a video of me chipping in my garden trying to incorporate the technique that I have picked up from previous posts in this thread.<br />
    <br />
    Please excuse the messy garden, its been a cold winter over here in England! Ill book a lesson up when I get back from my trip. I did 3 chips FO and 3 DL.<br />
    <br />
    [media=] />
    <br />
    If anybody spots anything that im doing horribly wrong that could help me out in spain I would appreciate the feedback. If it is not acceptable to ask for such help here please let me know and I will remove the post.<br />
    <br />
    regards,<br />
    <br />
    tom<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    u could buy them, download them and stick them on your phone or tablet?
    Posted:

Driver: Taylormade M2 10.5* w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 62g
    3 Wood: Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 15* w/ Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 76g
    3 iron: Srixon ZU85 20* w/ Nippon Modus 120x
    4-PW: Callaway X Forged '13 w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
    Wedges: Callaway Forged 50, Vokey SM7 54S & 60L - DG wedge flex
    Putter: Taylormade Ghost Spider S 34" w/ Superstroke Pistol GT 1.0

Ball: looking for chrome soft replacement

ig-badge-view-24.png
    fbv_twitter.png

• nelder89nelder89 Members  4WRX Points: 10Handicap: 11Posts: 4 Starters

Great thread!!
    Looking forward to trying this technique when home from working away.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • DLev45DLev45 Members  458WRX Points: 275Handicap: 6.5Posts: 458 Greens

@iteachgolf, for a stock chip/short pitch using your shallow/bounce technique, am I better off using my Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54/SS (12* listed bounce) or 58/ES (8* listed bounce) for these shots, and would you open the face at all on either?

I know there are lots of people who advocate for using a 56* for chips/pitches instead of a 60*, but less conversation about 54* v. 58*.

I am a 7hc FWIW.

Posted:
    • Ping G400 Max 10.5, Ping Alta CB 55 Stiff (44.5")
    • Ping G410 SFT 3W, Ping Alta CB 65 Stiff
    • Ping G 3h/4h, Ping Alta 70 Regular
    • Callaway Apex CF16 (5-GW), TT XP 95 R300
    • Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth (54/SS, 58/ES), Ping AWT 2.0 Wedge
    • TaylorMade Spider X Navy, 35"

• iteachgolfiteachgolf Members  17198WRX Points: 1,451Posts: 17,198 Titanium Tees

54* in your setup would be more forgiving. Slightly open

Posted:
  • BigEx44BigEx44 Members  382WRX Points: 120Handicap: 9.2Posts: 382 Greens

I have a 56 degree SW with 10 degrees of bounce.

Would I be better off with a 56 SW with 12 degrees of bounce? Or is 10 degrees of bounce enough?

Posted:
  • iteachgolfiteachgolf Members  17198WRX Points: 1,451Posts: 17,198 Titanium Tees

It’s not just higher bounce. It’s where the bounce is located and the shape of the sole. I prefer steep initial bounce angle that peaks in the middle with a lot of heel and trailing edge relief. Hence my preference for the V grind wedge

Posted:

This was part of my inquiry a few posts up with the Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 58/ES (8* bounce) and 54/SS (12* bounce). The ES obviously has less listed bounce, but I wasn't sure what effect the difference in grind would make.

Posted:

Advertisement
    Posted:

One more potentially dumb question that I'm sure you've answered 100 times - When you set up to use the bounce for a chip/short pitch and you say slightly open the face to engage more bounce, do you then need to aim slightly left of target to account for the face angle?

Posted:

depends on handle height. If handle is high yes you need to aim a bit left

Posted:
  • DivdevilDivdevil Members  54WRX Points: 51Posts: 54 Bunkers

Are these videos still available somewhere? I’ve incorporated the tight lies chip with success, but would love to use this method for my entire chipping game. I’m sure there are videos somewhere in this thread, but all of them together somewhere would be helpful. Thanks.

Posted:
  • glkglk send it in jerome Kodak, Tn/Chucktown, Sc via Chicago & BurghMembers  4272WRX Points: 782Posts: 4,272 Titanium Tees
    Posted:

Enjoy every sandwich.

Advertisement
  • ebrasmus21ebrasmus21 Serial Shanker CAMembers  6288WRX Points: 2,036Handicap: 2.7Posts: 6,288 Titanium Tees

@iteachgolf are you pro using the hands chipping out to you like taking the hands/wrists out of most short shots around the green?

Posted:
    G400 LST - TPT proto
    TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
    21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
    4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
    50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
    Evnroll ER5
    Snell MTB Black
    Posted:

Hands are always used. It’s just to what degree for what shot

Posted:

I’m working on these videos and hoping to implement them fully. I’m also looking to buy new 52, 56, and 60 wedges. Any particular set that works best with this approach? Sorry if it’s been covered already.

Posted:

Also, when you are chipping from tight lies with an 8 or 9 iron, do you use the same form? Raised grip, front ball position, and putter stroke? Is there a video covering that along with longer (40 yards) pitches? Thansk.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • glkglk send it in jerome Kodak, Tn/Chucktown, Sc via Chicago & BurghMembers  4272WRX Points: 782Posts: 4,272 Titanium Tees

You’ll find some info in this recent thread and if you have the patience I’m certain that somewhere in this thread wedges and their setup has been discussed. FYI virtually every pro uses one (maybe 2) wedges for their short game shots including pitching. Learn the technique and you can get a 60 or 56 to do pretty much any shot you want. I have dans ( he uses his 60*) videos and also James ridyard - ridyard has more detail, imo and includes approach wedges,scrambling, bunker play and if you get the 5 set (which includes putting and green reading) you also get a video on drills/ games and 7 deadly situations - https://shortgamesecrets.tv/

another good option is to see dan in person.

good luck

Posted:

Enjoy every sandwich.

• MiggaletoeMiggaletoe Members  188WRX Points: 73Posts: 188 Fairways

Everything is nearly the same for me. Ball forward thumbs down finish.

Posted:
  • royourboatroyourboat Members  474WRX Points: 80Posts: 474 Greens

How much does lie/grass have to do with trajectory?

I can't figure out why I go from a rockstar on better courses where I feel like I have to open the face on the 60 to get finesse wedges to fly above the knee and not stop on a dime.. and then practicing at my local course, shorter chips go above the head and roll out.

I guess it's breakdown of the trail arm and the technique, but it seems so odd to go from day to day course to course and have very little day to day control when on each day I am easily consistent but totally different flight/spin.

Posted:
    I like to tee the ball up.. using man sized clubs.

mothman65 wrote:

Is Melbourne getting any closer to happening Momte?

Still need some more, but it's pretty likely I'll come. Just don't know when yet.

Grass and lie matters a lot. Friction matters a ton

Posted:

So assuming it is not technique but the lie/grass, do you have a recommendation of how to handle the course that doesn't seem to allow low spinners? Do I go back to 56 or a bump and run, or learn touch without the traj/spin with the LW?

Posted:

mothman65 wrote:

Still need some more, but it's pretty likely I'll come. Just don't know when yet.

Advertisement
  • mcputtermcputter Members  1061WRX Points: 239Handicap: 0.9Posts: 1,061 Platinum Tees

Dan, with Vokey possibly not offering the V grind even through Wedgeworks, what other grind or make/model would you recommend? What about the Vokey D grind?

Posted:
    Adams 9015D 10.5 Matrix Ozik
    TM M2 Deep Face 3HL Fuji Atmos 6
    Callaway Apex 20 Steelfiber hls780
    Adams Pro Mini 23 Steelfiber i95
    Adams A12 Pro Black 5-9PW Steelfiber i95
    Adams CB2 GW Steelfiber i95
    Vokey SM6 Black 54 S-Grind Steelfiber i110 CW
    Vokey Oil Can 58 V-Grind Kuro Kage TiNi 105
    Scotty Cameron Pro Plat Newport Mil Spec

It's not how fast you play, it's how well you play fast!
    Posted:

D with More trailing edge relief is very close to a V. X grind from callaway is close

Posted:

Advertisement

iteach, are you saying high traj is fine (when it is not required)?

Posted:

mothman65 wrote:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.