The Bridgestone J15 CB's have to be one of the best? Don't they?

pjc

My set still looks great, but I bought a 2nd set in mint condition when I came across them at a decent price. If nothing comes along, I'm set for the next 4 years at least, haha.

I really the blunt leading edge BTW. I have a wedge that needs rechromed, and I took the leading edge to a grinder. We will see how it plays.

[color=#0000ff]Titleist TSR3 8*[/color]
[color=#0000ff]Callaway Epic SZ 15*[/color]
[color=#0000ff]Taylormade M3 Hybrids 17, 21[/color]
[color=#0000ff]Srixon ZX Utility 23[/color]
[color=#0000FF]Bridgestone 221CB 6-PW[/color]
[color=#0000FF]Miura 50, 54, 58C - KBS Tour[/color]
[color=#0000FF]Byron Morgan DH89[/color]

I have 3 rounds now with my new set of J15 cb's and everything is back right in the universe. I can't believe I traded my first set last August. I guess since I had played these for a year, I lost a little appreciation for them. Love them all over again. Lol

Mizuno JPX 900 driver
Mizuno JPX 900 3 wood
Mizuno JPX 900 5 wood
Mizuno MP 66 irons with Modus 105 shafts
Scratch 50,55,60 wedges with Steelfibers I95's
Mizuno MP A303 putter

I have 3 rounds now with my new set of J15 cb's and everything is back right in the universe. I can't believe I traded my first set last August. I guess since I had played these for a year, I lost a little appreciation for them. Love them all over again. Lol

What shafts now?

Titleist TSR2 10*| MCA Tensei AV blue (SFW) Xlink 55 S

Titleist TSR2 3 HL 16.5*| MCA Tensei AV blue Xlink 65 S

Titleist TSR2 7 Wood 21*| MCA Tensei AV blue Xlink 75 S

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 4 iron| N.S. Pro 980GH DST S

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 5-GW| N.S. Pro 1050GH S

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore 54* & 58*| N.S. Pro Modus³ Tour 115 Wedge
Ping 2023 Anser
Srixon Z Star

What shafts now?

Same as the first set, Modus 120 shafts

What shafts now?

Mizuno JPX 900 driver
Mizuno JPX 900 3 wood
Mizuno JPX 900 5 wood
Mizuno MP A303 putter

I've had the J15CBs since they came out. I was down to these, AP2s and MP-54s, and the B-Stone won out. Didn't hurt that they were about $400 cheaper.

The Srixons are now available in LH. If I was going to be tempted with some new sticks, the Z765 are the only irons that look like they might win me over.

I've gone through about 26 putters, drivers, woods, and hybrids over the last two years, but haven't bothered to demo any new irons. Very happy with the J15CBs.

Ping G400 LST 10.5º - Oban Kiyoshi Purple
Titleist TSi2 15º - Tensei Blue 75

TaylorMade M2 Rescue 22º – Matrix Ozik
Bridgestone J15 CB 4-PW – Modus Tour 120

Mizuno JPX 921 Tour GW - Modus Tour 120
Vokey SM7 56.10º S & 60.14º K
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

So good. Really contemplating pulling the Modus 120's and dropping in Steelfiber 110's for fun.

I am thinking the same. I love the Modus but the Steelfibers just go straight and long. All the other sets I had with the Steelfibers were great. I think you should do it and report back your findings. Lol

Mizuno JPX 900 driver
Mizuno JPX 900 3 wood
Mizuno JPX 900 5 wood
Mizuno MP A303 putter

So good. Really contemplating pulling the Modus 120's and dropping in Steelfiber 110's for fun.

I am thinking the same. I love the Modus but the Steelfibers just go straight and long. All the other sets I had with the Steelfibers were great. I think you should do it and report back your findings. Lol

You got it, should have something in a few weeks

I tested mine (2 years ago) with the stock shafts. I did some research and liked what I saw from those that had my swing characteristics and game who were high on the Steelfiber shafts. Took a big leap of faith and went with the Steelfibers and will never look back.

Call it luck, a guess or whatever; all I know is that this combination is by FAR the best combo I've played. I have the capacity to buy a new set of irons each year (and I do Ho around), but nothing can knock my J15's with Steelfiber out of the bag.

Enjoy the upgrade; it will pay you back for several years!

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen4 @ 10.5* w/Tour AD VR-6 S

Fairway: PXG 0341 X GEN4 @ 15* w/PX Evenflow Riptide CB 60g
Fairway: Callaway Mavrik @ 18* w/PX Evenflow Riptide 60g
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen4 Xtreme Dark Combination Set: 5-7 Gen4 XP; 8-GW Gen4 P w/SteelFiber 95
Wedges: Cleveland RTX Black Satin 50*  54*  58*

Putter: PXG Bat Attack-HS @ 35.5"
Ball: Wilson Staff Model

• 3 weeks later...

Guess who's back!!! Found a new set, getting them regripped. Best irons ever!!

Bought and sold these 5 times. Good enough for Kuch and Sneds, good enough for me lol!!

CALLAWAY ROGUE ST MAX TD TC - 10.5 - MMT 60

TAYLORMADE Stealth Plus- 15 / 18 - PX Hzrdus Red

TAYLORMADE Gapr Hi - 22 - KBS Hybrid

TITLEIST '23 T200 - 5-PW - Steelfiber i95

VOKEY SM9 Blk 48/53/58- KBS Hi Rev 2.0 / TM Kia Ma Montecarlo

I gamed these last year after really striking the ball poorly for a few months with the J15 MB's. Sold them and bought the J15 CB's with Modus Tour S 120's. Easily the best irons I've played. I gained about 7-10 yards per club coming from the MB's. Ball striking got better, but even the mis-hits would still go. Can't say enough good things. Just got the Tour B X CB's with Modus shafts and love them. The muscle forging behind the center of the club face results in a firmer feel, which I really like. I'm also getting the same distances. Love Bridgestone!!!!

Is there anyone who has played the j15 dpf and j15 CB who can give me a quick comparison, particularly as far as forgivenss goes? I currently play the j15 dpf and they work great, maybe the best set I've had. In the past I played the j36 pc and the j38 dpc. I found the j40 CB to be not quite forgiving enough for my ball striking. Even though I'm set with my current irons, I'm dying to try a set of j15 CB's due to all the rave reviews.

What shafts now?

What shafts now?

TM, do you think the Modus 120 really pins down a really specific type of swing, or is it just overblown. When i look at the specs and profiles and such, they just look like a lightweight steel shaft option with a soft but and stiff tip. Can one play with a 6 iron swing speed of 82-86 and get anything out them in your opinion?

Ping 2023 Anser
Srixon Z Star

I'm a real big fan of the DG Pro.

Me too, they are perfect in my J15DPF's.....which IMO is the best set of Pocket Cavities BStone has put out.

I've heard rumors that the DGPro's are actually the Monaco shafts remarked....FWIW

For the past 2 weeks I've been browsing Ebay for a set of J15MB's or CB's to store since they are out of production. The Tour B series just looks awful to my eyes.

Taylormade QI10LS 10.5 (@9.5) Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6S (Testing Velocore + 6S)
Taylormade Stealth 2+ 15 (@14.50) Fujikura Motore Speeder 8.1S Tipped .5"
Callaway Apex "21" 19/3H Aldila Rogue Black TS95 Tipped .5"
Taylormade SLDR 4i DGSLS300S
Taylormade P750 7-PW P770 5i-6i DG AMT White S300
Taylormade MG2 52 DGTIS400, MG4TW 56/12 DGTIS400, & Tour Issued MG3 Hi Toe 60/09 DGTIS200 115
Scotty Cameron TeI3 Long Neck Newport 2 34" (34")
Bridgestone Tour B XS (Testing New TP5x)

I do. Your swing speed will be fine with the Modus shafts. I do think you have to have a smoother swing though. I have seen those swing speeds with a herky jerky swing. (Mine) I get bad dispersion or a big draw. I can tell a difference in Ctaper lites, Steelfibers, and the Modus 120 shafts and they all are very close to the swing weight. The biggest difference is the height of the ball. The Modus is a lower flight for me. Maybe this is why I am a little longer with the Modus shafts. But I can hold a green with a 4 iron so I really am not worried about the mid flight.

I have been playing Steelfibers in another set. And Modus 105 shafts in yet another set. I am amazed how well I can hit the 105's. I think even better than the Modus 120's now. If you have the op, try those shafts first.

Mizuno JPX 900 driver
Mizuno JPX 900 3 wood
Mizuno JPX 900 5 wood
Mizuno MP A303 putter

Some pics from my round today!! Torrey North greens are a real treat!! So pure but so undulated!

Nice irons for sure, one of the better ones, but they do not beat CB716 or JPX900 tour in the feel department.

The J15 CB's are more forgiving tough, and the design is insane nice! :)

Yeah I got scared off those sets due to all the feedback of severe distance loss. I need all I can get when your home course is Torrey Pines. Very few driver short iron holes

I do. Your swing speed will be fine with the Modus shafts. I do think you have to have a smoother swing though. I have seen those swing speeds with a herky jerky swing. (Mine) I get bad dispersion or a big draw. I can tell a difference in Ctaper lites, Steelfibers, and the Modus 120 shafts and they all are very close to the swing weight. The biggest difference is the height of the ball. The Modus is a lower flight for me. Maybe this is why I am a little longer with the Modus shafts. But I can hold a green with a 4 iron so I really am not worried about the mid flight.

I have been playing Steelfibers in another set. And Modus 105 shafts in yet another set. I am amazed how well I can hit the 105's. I think even better than the Modus 120's now. If you have the op, try those shafts first.

Good deal, thanks for the feedback. I know what you mean about getting a little herky jerky or keyed up sometimes with the irons especially. I play the Nippon 1050's in stiff in my J15 CB's and for the most part we get along well. It's when I go after it too much it gets a little left of target at the end of the flight which is a little weird for me. They are very accurate shafts and do not spin to much, maybe has to do with the heads also, as I do get very long distance with these irons. I have hit the Modus 120 stiff a few years ago (Srixon Z-TX 2), but they were installed by a guy I knew who did club work, not from the factory and I think they were not done correctly because I had some really odd/inconsistent play from them. From what I understand, Nippon shafts in general are kind of different when it comes to being installed correctly. This, I was told by Nippon Shaft themselves. An OEM like Bridgestone knows what they are doing no doubt. One shaft that I have really liked in a couple of other irons is the XP 115 S300, as it has, for lack of better terms, a more traditional balance/feel weight to me and is kind of a mid everything. With that said, it is hard to over power them, at least for me. Similar to the Nippon 1150, but better feel over all. Less stiff in the butt end. I'm rambling on here, sorry, the J15 CB's are easily one of the best, if not the best, "player" type of irons I have hit, but I have my eyes hard on the Z 765's. The sole design is incredible on the J15's, but the Srixon's just have me pondering hard.

Ping 2023 Anser
Srixon Z Star

• 11 months later...

very playable and slightly oversized for a forging. a very forgiving version of the J33. I like them because they have very small offset.

TC Callaway Epic Sub Zero / Fujikura Ventus Black 7 X

TA Callaway Rogue ST Triple Diamond-T 14° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10 X 

Callaway UW 17° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10 X

Titleist TSi3 21° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10 TX

Callaway X Forged UT '21 25°/ Nippon Modus 125-X HS1x 

Srixon Z785 6-PW / Nippon Modus 125-X HS1x

50F Vokey SM8 Jet Black / Nippon Super Peening Blue X

54K Vokey Tour Design Raw / Nippon Super Peening Blue X

58K Vokey SM8 Jet Black / BGT ZNE 130

Piretti Potenza Cu plated 360g / BGT Stability Shaft  

What are your thoughts on the Steelfiber i110 stiff, if any? I have a set w/ these in the J40 DPC's and they felt boardy compared to S300 w/ same iron heads, just didn't feel anything good at all w/ the Steelfibers. I read great things about them but from the 1st swing, didn't feel good...