2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Does Taylor Made tip their shafts?

juniorgolf18

I have a Hzrdus Black from TM that is tipped 1". Tip to top of red diamond logo should be 30.5" - mine measured 29.5".

Is that from the tip of the adapter without the club head in? I just received mine and want to know if they tipped it. I ordered it 1 inch soft.

Most tip to graphics measurements are to the tip of the shaft, not the tip of the adapter. But for the TM adapters, you can convert it pretty easily. The adapter extends ~3/8" beyond the actual tip of the shaft.

Thank you. I'm pretty sure they tipped mine anyway...unbelievable.

This is all very confusing.........lol. Here is my custom order confirmation that shipped along with my M2. Was the shaft tipped?

TaylorMade M2 10.5 / Matrix White Tie 50X4 R
Callaway Apex 3/20 Hybrid / USTM Recoil 760 ES F3
Callaway Apex 4/23 Hybrid / USTM Recoil 760 ES F3

Maltby KE Tour TC 5/25 Hybrid / Rapport CoreBlue Hybrid R flex
Maltby Forged DBM 4-GW / USTM Recoil 660 F3
Maltby TSW DRM 58 / UST Rv2 Gold 115 R
Maltby TSW DRM 54 / UST Rv2 Gold 115 R
Maltby PTM-5 with 3" Carbon Steel hosel & UST Frequency Filter shaft
Nike RZN Tour Black or TaylorMade Tour Response

This is all very confusing.........lol. Here is my custom order confirmation that shipped along with my M2. Was the shaft tipped?

Yea it says standard for tipping and TM standard is tip an inch

Which is why I find this whole tipping issue a mess.....mine was not tipped at all. According to Matrix, the parallel tip length is 3 inches; I checked the shaft on my M2 with some calipers, it's 0.338 diameter for 3 inches. Also, Matrix shows this shaft as no tipping for driver install.

Oh.........I did not what it tipped either.

They make it way too complicated. So I am putting a new uncut AD DI 5S in my M2. Playing length 44.5. Tip trim, butt trim or a combination of both. I'm thinking straight in and butt trim and adjust swing weight. Any advice?

Graphite Design does not recommend any tipping for this shaft with a driver to play as designed. Unless you are looking to slightly tweak launch/spin with a firmer tip you are probably on the right track going straight in on the install.

Which is why I find this whole tipping issue a mess.....mine was not tipped at all. According to Matrix, the parallel tip length is 3 inches; I checked the shaft on my M2 with some calipers, it's 0.338 diameter for 3 inches. Also, Matrix shows this shaft as no tipping for driver install.

Just an FYI a Caliper isn't going to give you a accurate reading. Ive tried it before....

Taylormade QI10LS 10.5 (@9.5) Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6S (Testing Velocore + 6S)
Taylormade Stealth 2+ 15 (@14.50) Fujikura Motore Speeder 8.1S Tipped .5"
Callaway Apex "21" 19/3H Aldila Rogue Black TS95 Tipped .5"
Taylormade SLDR 4i DGSLS300S
Taylormade P750 7-PW P770 5i-6i DG AMT White S300
Taylormade MG2 52 DGTIS400, MG4TW 56/12 DGTIS400, & Tour Issued MG3 Hi Toe 60/09 DGTIS200 115
Scotty Cameron TeI3 Long Neck Newport 2 34" (34")
Bridgestone Tour B XS (Testing New TP5x)

Just an FYI a Caliper isn't going to give you a accurate reading. Ive tried it before....

Unless they are cheap $15 Chinese calipers from Harbor Freight, they most certainly will give you an accurate reading. Not as accurate as micrometers, but still very good.

• 10 months later...

Thank you. But, I find this whole thing ridiculous. I know of two companies still taking custom orders on the 2016 M2 and have gotten 2 different stories about this tipping issue. Retailer #1 says Taylormade doesn't tip their shafts at all. Retailer #2 first says Taylormade only tips driver ".5 inch firm" or "1 inch firm". I then attach a screenshot of the soft 1 inch option for the current M2 and reply back if its possible to do that but no response...

I had my 2017 M1 Driver and M2 3 and 5 woods built at the TMAG Poppy Hills fitting center in Monterey, CA in October of 2017. According to the guys there, drivers are tipper .5", 3 woods 1", and 5 woods 1.5". The shafts I got were the Evolution 661 for the driver and 757 in stiff for fairway woods.

• 5 months later...

From what I've read this thread has mostly been on driver shafts.

I got my bag measured and charted today and my 3 tour preferred wedges were all in the 7.5-8 range.

They are KBS tour V wedge shafts.

The guy I bought them off of got them from golftown, so I highly doubt they were a custom order.

My fitter mentioned TaylorMade not only tips their driver shafts but even their wedge shafts.

Anybody else have a similar situation ?

• 4 months later...

I know this is an old thread but I just picked up Aldila Rogue Black 70 MSI 95 ( Driver length ) from a member in BST that he said came

directly from Taylor Made. I plan on trying it in my 3 Wood and Aldila trimming chart says to Tip Trim 1" and butt trim to length. The Million dollar question is did Taylor Made already tip trim this shaft 1" ?

My head hurts after reading 4 pages that kinda confirm my rhetorical question

Titleist TSi3  ,Ventus Blue 6S  Velocore

Ping G425 14.5  Fairway ,Tensei  AV Orange 75

Ping G425 17.5 Fairway  ,Tensei  CK Orange 75

Mizuno STZ- 230 22 Hybrid  ,LIN-Q Blue 

OnOff 2015 Kuro Irons ,Nippon Modus Tour 120

Mizuno T24 ,54,58 Wedges  ,Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Scotty Cameron Champions Choice Newport  2+ 

Titleist Pro V1x

The Million dollar question is did Taylor Made already tip trim this shaft 1" ?

pretty sure the measurements are the same for the 70 as they are for the 60 (and the 'tip' referenced in the measurement is the tip of the shaft, not the tip of the adapter).

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1651386-aldila-rogue-black-60-s-tip-to-graphics-measure/#entry17499626

pretty sure the measurements are the same for the 70 as they are for the 60 (and the 'tip' referenced in the measurement is the tip of the shaft, not the tip of the adapter).

http://www.golfwrx.c.../#entry17499626

Thank you

That's a pretty crazy way to determine whether it's been tipped.... but I appreciate the reply

Titleist Pro V1x

Thank you

That's a pretty crazy way to determine whether it's been tipped.... but I appreciate the reply

Actually, using known tip to graphics measurements is both the most common way and the most reliable way. For most shaft OEM's you have to get that info from someone else who has a known uncut version of the shaft - but Aldila (and also UST) CS are pretty good at providing those dimensions upon request.

Thank you

Actually, using known tip to graphics measurements is both the most common way and the most reliable way. For most shaft OEM's you have to get that info from someone else who has a known uncut version of the shaft - but Aldila (and also UST) CS are pretty good at providing those dimensions upon request.

Well I measured and the TM shaft I purchased measures 30.5" from the Tip end to the Box above the Atomic Logo described so it's been tipped 1 "

Thank you

Titleist Pro V1x

Long story but I pulled a Rogue Silver from a Titleist tip to try in my m3. After a few weeks I decided I really liked the shaft however it had been cut .5 of an inch at the butt end so I decided to order a new shaft directly from TM at standard length. I didn't specify anything on the order except the "standard length" for the M3. It turned up but after 3 weeks of play, I decided it was unplayable as I was really struggling with it and put the old Rogue back in. I thought it was just because of going back to the native length was the problem but then I put it next to the old shaft aligning the tip end and the shaft graphics suggest the TM shaft has indeed been tipped at least an inch. So I'd say yes, TM tip their shafts.

My SW is only 94 MPH and whilst I prefer a stiffer shaft I suspect it takes very little before a shaft is too stiff for my swing. Will need to be sure to order untipped from now on and wish I had read this thread sooner :-(

Long story but I pulled a Rogue Silver from a Titleist tip to try in my m3. After a few weeks I decided I really liked the shaft however it had been cut .5 of an inch at the butt end so I decided to order a new shaft directly from TM at standard length. I didn't specify anything on the order except the "standard length" for the M3. It turned up but after 3 weeks of play, I decided it was unplayable as I was really struggling with it and put the old Rogue back in. I thought it was just because of going back to the native length was the problem but then I put it next to the old shaft aligning the tip end and the shaft graphics suggest the TM shaft has indeed been tipped at least an inch. So I'd say yes, TM tip their shafts.

My SW is only 94 MPH and whilst I prefer a stiffer shaft I suspect it takes very little before a shaft is too stiff for my swing. Will need to be sure to order untipped from now on and wish I had read this thread sooner :-(

That really sucks that TM does that since Aldila's trimming guide states to only butt trim to length. Why in the hell would they do that ? Do you have a 3 wood that you could butt trim that shaft to length like I did ?

Titleist Pro V1x

That really sucks that TM does that since Aldila's trimming guide states to only butt trim to length. Why in the hell would they do that ? Do you have a 3 wood that you could butt trim that shaft to length like I did ?

Yeah sure turned into a waste of money. It's only a 60g shaft so a bit light for 3 wood but it would be worth trying to get some use from it as its just an alignment stick atm.

So with this logic wouldn't we be able to go to a Brick and Mortar store and go to a Taylor Made Fitting Cart and grab a Standard length driver shaft and another Manufacturer identical fitting cart shaft and

confirm by how the Logos line up that a shaft is tip trimmed ? Callaway , Ping , Titleist ................

Titleist Pro V1x

Thank you

Hopefully things have changed because UST is one of the worst I’ve dealt with in trying to get this into. I called them about a couple different shafts I wanted to get a reference for, and they told me they don’t have that info. I was dumbfounded.

So with this logic wouldn't we be able to go to a Brick and Mortar store and go to a Taylor Made Fitting Cart and grab a Standard length driver shaft and another Manufacturer identical fitting cart shaft and

confirm by how the Logos line up that a shaft is tip trimmed ? Callaway , Ping , Titleist ................

No. You need to measure the specific shaft that you’re wanting to check. You could line up 2 different shafts that are untipped and the graphics may not line up because one was butt trimmed more than the other.

It just takes a little googling to know how much each company’s adapter adds and then a little more googling to find a reference for your specific shaft. Other than the smaller brands you can find nearly every model. I spent some time putting a lot of them in a spreadsheet that I reference.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

As of a couple of weeks ago when I spoke to TM customer service, they told me that they follow shaft manufacturers tipping recommendations now

Driver: TaylorMade SIM MAX (10.5 degrees - set to 9.75 and 1.5 degrees open)

Shaft: Aldila Rogue 130 White 70 TX (at 45" and tipped 1")

3-wood: TaylorMade SIM (15 degrees)

Shaft: Aldila Rogue 130 Black 70 TX (at 43" and tipped 1")

UDI: *** Under Construction ***

Irons: TaylorMade P-7MC 4-PW (1 degree upright)

Shaft: Nippon Pro Modus3 Tour 120 X

Wedges: Cleveland RTX Zipcore Tour Rack (Raw) 52.10, 56.12 & 60.12

Shaft: Nippon Pro Modus3 Wedge 125

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Mid-Slant (at 34")

I have a Tensei Pro Orange that came brand new in a M5 driver and it's tipped 1". I measured when I pulled the TM adapter. All standard order straight from Taylormade.

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5° | Tensei Pro Orange 60s

Taylormade BRNR Mini 13.5° | Hzrdus Yellow 75 6.5

Callaway Apex UW 19° | Tour AD TP 7s

Callaway XR Pro 23° | Tour AD DI 95x
Mizuno Pro 225 5-PW | Dynamic Gold 120 S300
Cleveland RTX 6: 50° 56° 60° | KBS Tour Custom 120s Black 

L.A.B. DF 3 Counterbalance 37.5" | TPT Putter Shaft 

> @mBiden2 said:

> As of a couple of weeks ago when I spoke to TM customer service, they told me that they follow shaft manufacturers tipping recommendations now

That really only applies to when you're building a fairway or hybrid though. Driver shafts shouldn't come tipped, but the issue was that apparently for at least the past 2-3 years, TM has been tipping every shaft 1''. That's why when you go to the custom build section on the website, you can actually soft step your driver. I finally now know why my 2017 M1 with a 60X Black Tie felt like an absolute steel pole when I got it right from TM.

I'm still under the assumption that if you do not specify 1'' soft, you will still be getting a 1'' tipping on your driver today. It sounds like for a fairway if you said standard tipping, they'd look up the OEM's tipping guide code but I wouldn't trust them to do it properly all the time.

> @Z1ggy16 said:

> Driver shafts shouldn't come tipped, but the issue was that apparently for at least the past 2-3 years, TM has been tipping every shaft 1''.

It's actually more like 6-7 years. Best we can tell it started with the SLDR release although there were some mixed reports about it with some R1's as well.

And for @mBiden2 - over those years, TM C.S. and not been consistent with what they tell us - so not sure I'd put a lot of faith in that. They may (hopefully) change their policy eventually but I'll believe it when I see it (and can measure it myself), not before.