Miura baby blades vs mb001

Vlatino1969

Small blades are the most solid and forgiving blade I've played. Mb001 is good. But if your father the best feel and easiest to hit I can't imagine there being a better choice than the small blade. The small size fools a lot of folks. But think of it this way. They weigh same or similar to longer length blades. So common sense says more mass directed behind the ball. Yes? So if you miss toe side you literally have the effect of an iron with tungsten in the toe to a small degree. Just am not penalized much with a miss with these. Food for thought

• Like 1

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

bladehunter- I've also been considering the Small Blades, but vs the CB-57 (to me the CB-57 feels better than the MB-001, but the small blade feels better than both). I may even combo the set. That being said, I've only been able to hit the Small Blades indoors, so I was curious if I am a bit of a digger would I struggle with the small blade? Thanks!

Vlatino - limited experience for me and off a mat so take it for what its worth - but both times I've hit these head to head I was 6-7 yds longer with the Small Blade on good shots, and considerably more consistent with it as well. Not sure if that would carry over to the course, my guess is it would off of a flat lie.

Good luck!

bladehunter- I've also been considering the Small Blades, but vs the CB-57 (to me the CB-57 feels better than the MB-001, but the small blade feels better than both). I may even combo the set. That being said, I've only been able to hit the Small Blades indoors, so I was curious if I am a bit of a digger would I struggle with the small blade? Thanks!

Vlatino - limited experience for me and off a mat so take it for what its worth - but both times I've hit these head to head I was 6-7 yds longer with the Small Blade on good shots, and considerably more consistent with it as well. Not sure if that would carry over to the course, my guess is it would off of a flat lie.

Good luck!

Hard for me to say. I'm a sweeper until I get to a wedge. Lol. The. I'm coming in hot and steep.

I don't find them to want to dig like some mb irons I've owned. Really don't think you will find a huge difference between the smal blade and the cb57. As far as sole and turf interaction. That being said. If your digging holes to China on every swing you will have to get ball 1st or it isn't going to work with anything. Likewise a high bounce iron doesn't work with me as it brings in a skipping thin miss.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

well on looks alone for me the look of the mb001 and the cb-57 especially in the scoring irons are much nicer to look at the bb has

has that shovely 501 look to ME. dont get angry bb guys. now i have not hit the bb but i do enjoy my 57's now blending with mb001 from

7 down. now obviously feel is a different story but im content with what i have

Tmb - you are correct the BB does have a different look. Especially Pw. It's the transition from hosel to the topline. Almost a "webbed" look. I actually prefer this as my older vega blade set was this way. I was just used to it I guess.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

BBs FTW. There is no better iron in golf than the BB. I love the mb001, but the small head of the BB makes it easier to cut through rough and turf and also it lessens the chance of hitting the ground before ball. Bottom line is that the BB makes clean ball contact and face control the easiest, by design.

TEE CB2 13* 3w, 43.5", 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
TEE CB2 15* 3w, 43" 65g Fujikura Motore F1 S-flex
Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
34" Piretti Bosa, GripMaster Pistol Grip

Registered Bladeocrat
Outlaw Golf Association Member #7

Tmb - you are correct the BB does have a different look. Especially Pw. It's the transition from hosel to the topline. Almost a "webbed" look. I actually prefer this as my older vega blade set was this way. I was just used to it I guess.

yeah in with you always held off on miura cause my eye never lked the shorter irons very japan like however it loves the mb001 and cb57 guess thats why theirs different models and to each their own their all just awesome though

I am thinking of pulling the trigger and getting a set as well but am just afraid of the pw. Would you be kind enough to post an address pic of the pw?

Sure I will. Give me an hour or so and I'll try before dark. If not I will in the morning when I got out for my Sunday round.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Small blades are the most solid and forgiving blade I've played. Mb001 is good. But if your father the best feel and easiest to hit I can't imagine there being a better choice than the small blade. The small size fools a lot of folks. But think of it this way. They weigh same or similar to longer length blades. So common sense says more mass directed behind the ball. Yes? So if you miss toe side you literally have the effect of an iron with tungsten in the toe to a small degree. Just am not penalized much with a miss with these. Food for thought

When faced with questions about iron size, I always think of it this way: If you hit a nail with a hammer, even if it's not in the center, you're going to drive the nail in further than you are if you hit it with a frying pan of the same weight. I add the weight part in because yes, you could use a cast-iron pan, but nobody can swing a 25lb pan as fast as a hammer.

The smaller the iron, if it's the same weight as a larger iron, the more effective the entire surface area of the club will be. The only danger is that if you're not even close to be good enough to play these, you do run the risk of missing the ball all together.

Man I wish they made the small blades and baby blades for lefties. The owner of TSG has a one of one set of lefty baby blades, but he wouldn't sell them.

I went back to 1957 blades last month after trying several other irons over the past two years. To me they are far better than the mb001. Never hit the cb57. My buddy also ordered a set. He was concerned about the size but once he started hitting them he was amazed how easy they were to hit.

I'm more of a digger (not extreme) and have no issues with the small blades. Side note, I started using the dst compressor and it has help me lessen my ditch digging skills.

Regarding the small blade pw, the first time around I hated it. Everything was left. I play my irons .50-.75 upright. This time I did the same except for my pw. It is .75 flat and is perfect now.

Tcann, that's why I learned to play right handed. My second favorite irons are the cobra king Mbs (black). I think they make those in lefty. Or just say a prayer every night that the raw mb from callaway will be releases in lefty.

G400 lst digital loft at 9 playing at 8
G400 3w. Xtorsion Black 80tx
G400 5w. Ad-di 8x
20 and 24 ft worth hi
5-pw Miura BB with x100 ti
60 mack daddy forged
Nike 006 proto

Tried both during a professional fitting. Ended up with the mb001s because I didn't like the head shape of the BBs. Performance wise, they are very similar. In terms of feel, BBs feel a little more solid, mb001s feel a little softer. Ultimately it comes down to preference - I absolutely love my mb001s and will be sticking with them for sure.

Only other note id add is get your irons moi matched. Makes a ton of difference!

• 1 month later...

i went through the same dilemma myself recently, in the end i chose the BBs over MB-001.

They're both great when you hit them well, but honestly, the looks and history of the BBs sold me.

Can't wait to play them in a couple of weeks

Callaway Epic Subzero 9.5° [i]Oban Devotion 65-04[/i]
Tour Edge Exotics XCG-7 15° [i]Oban Devotion 75-04[/i]
Miura 1957 Small Blades 3-PW [i]Nippon Modus 125S[/i]
Titleist Vokey SM5 52.08 [i]KBS Tour 120S[/i]
Titleist Vokey SM5 58.07 [i]KBS Tour 120S[/i]
Scotty Cameron Select Newport 34"

• 4 months later...

Tried both during a professional fitting. Ended up with the mb001s because I didn't like the head shape of the BBs. Performance wise, they are very similar. In terms of feel, BBs feel a little more solid, mb001s feel a little softer. Ultimately it comes down to preference - I absolutely love my mb001s and will be sticking with them for sure.

Only other note id add is get your irons moi matched. Makes a ton of difference!

Anyone else done this? MOI matching of Baby Blades?

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

Anyone else done this? MOI matching of Baby Blades?

Mine are. Didn't really notice much difference in short irons. Mid irons felt better club to club after adjustments.

I'm going to start playing golf right handed I've decided. Then I can get the cool stuff.

LOL!! You wish!

Stealth2+ 9 Atmos RWB 6x / MyStealth+ 9 Atmos Blue 6x | Stealth2+ 15, Ventus Red 8x
TI P770 2 | P770 3, P7MC 4-5, P7MB 6-9 / Miura 1957 4-9, $-Taper 125
TI MG3 46, 50, 54, $-Taper 125 | TI MG3 58 / HT 58, KBS Tour 120 SS
Mann Mini / Cameron CT, MC Smooth | TP5x | My WITB Thread

• 1 year later...

Curious what you paid to get MOI Matched? I actually bought the machine to do my set, and can do it for people if needed. Shoot me a message.

The baby blade has great playability 2-pw. The Mb-001 has great playability 6-pw... 3-5 irons are a little dicey. .....So baby blades all day long.

The baby blade is the old Tournament Blade that is just hand ground by the founder to a size that is shorter heel to toe with a thicker muscle back. The original tournament blade was designed by one of the guys at Artisan golf so technically he did the baby blades and that's why the baby long irons are better than the mb-001 long irons which were designed in house. Miura is A+ at making irons but only a B at designing them.

For what it's worth here is a small list of great irons forged by Miura for other companies who designed them. You can buy these for spit and use in basic amateur competition thru 2024....best of both worlds

Mizuno MP14...that's how Tiger got introduced to Miura forgings....saw a mint set on eBay for $150 w/s-300s

TaylorMade RAC CB tour edition.......the cb-57 is it's twin brother and very playable 3-pw...now you know where that design came from.

McGregor V-foil muscleback and cb....when McGregor got back into the golf business they did not skimp on the forging.

Taylormade 300...I think the first 2 years were forged by Miura and the last year was forged in Mexico.

Tommy Armor EVO....there was a cast and forged model. The forged model was Miura and played by Fred Couples

Maruman irons....don't remember the models but they were Miura forged in the 90's and maybe early 2000's...Laura Davies and Jose Maria Olazabal won majors with them. I think Curtis Strange's career imploded playing Maruman/Miura irons.

whoops...got a little off topic there.

The baby blade has great playability 2-pw. The Mb-001 has great playability 6-pw... 3-5 irons are a little dicey. .....So baby blades all day long.

The baby blade is the old Tournament Blade that is just hand ground by the founder to a size that is shorter heel to toe with a thicker muscle back. The original tournament blade was designed by one of the guys at Artisan golf so technically he did the baby blades and that's why the baby long irons are better than the mb-001 long irons which were designed in house. Miura is A+ at making irons but only a B at designing them.

For what it's worth here is a small list of great irons forged by Miura for other companies who designed them. You can buy these for spit and use in basic amateur competition thru 2024....best of both worlds

Mizuno MP14...that's how Tiger got introduced to Miura forgings....saw a mint set on eBay for $150 w/s-300s

TaylorMade RAC CB tour edition.......the cb-57 is it's twin brother and very playable 3-pw...now you know where that design came from.

McGregor V-foil muscleback and cb....when McGregor got back into the golf business they did not skimp on the forging.

Taylormade 300...I think the first 2 years were forged by Miura and the last year was forged in Mexico.

Tommy Armor EVO....there was a cast and forged model. The forged model was Miura and played by Fred Couples

Maruman irons....don't remember the models but they were Miura forged in the 90's and maybe early 2000's...Laura Davies and Jose Maria Olazabal won majors with them. I think Curtis Strange's career imploded playing Maruman/Miura irons.

whoops...got a little off topic there.

Whats your information source?