Tour AD-GP or Tour AD-TP??

GoPios25

If anyone has hit a AD TP 8X in their fairway wood, would love to hear thoughts. I think with a bit of tipping, its profile sounds like a superb fairway shaft.

Been gaming a Kai'li 80X tipped 1" and it's been solid. Intrigued to upgrade, as I want a bit more out of my 3W. Looking for the same launch / slightly less spin.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Word on the street is that the TP is the DI with a touch less launch and spin. From testing I have seen (Search WRX and there is a pretty good youtube video on it with some numbers) it's pretty marginal.

TSR3 10*(D1H1) - Tensie 1k White 60x

909D3 13* - Graffaloy Prolaunch Platinum 70x

Titleist T200 ('21) 3 - Mitsubishi MMT 105TX

Titleist T100 ('21) 4 & 5 - Project X 6.5

Titleist 630MB 6 - P - Project X 6.5

Vokey SM9 50, 54, 60 - Project X 6.5

Circa 62 #3 Oil Can 35"

Word on the street is that the TP is the DI with a touch less launch and spin. From testing I have seen (Search WRX and there is a pretty good youtube video on it with some numbers) it's pretty marginal.

Didn't hit the TP but the GP is a beast! The AD DI and I did not get along at all during my fitting. GP have me about 8 yards more carry than the 65tourX from Ping.

Bomber_11, any reason you went with the 60 gram in the AD TP instead of the 70 gram, like the Tensei White?

That's the only version Taylormade has available on their website for upgrade options.

Since I get 40% off everything Taylormade, it made more sense to go that route vs. ordering the AD TP at retail. I believe it's $380 retail, and I paid $419.99 for the M1 driver w/ AD TP in it :)

Seems odd that they would offer the 60 gram, but not the 70 gram. I could kind of understand not having an 80 gram, because there probably wouldn't be as much demand, but the 70 seems like it would be popular enough to warrant offering it with the 60. Maybe they'll offer the 70 at a later date.

Taylormade also only offering tensei 60 gram. Odd

Want to try the GP in my 915d2. Currently hitting a Kai'li. What should I expect/not expect?

TSI3 9 Pro White
TSI2 15  Pro White

TSI2 18  Pro Blue/MIZUNO FLI-HI 3 Iron Pro White
PXG 0311T P-7/0311P 6-4
VOKEY SM7 RAW 52F 08
VOKEY SM7 RAW 56S 10
VOKEY SM7 RAW 60L 04
CAMERON NEWPORT 2/CAMERON 6M
PRO V1X

Want to try the GP in my 915d2. Currently hitting a Kai'li. What should I expect/not expect?

I wish I could give you more information than some of us have already posted in here but I never hit the Ka'il. I'd say excellence if you get the right flex, length, and weight. It's been very consistent for me adding some yardage but most importantly, its been consistent everytime out and I know what to expect each time I stand over the ball. GD's description on their website is very accurate as it lowered spin and is very stiff in the tip. I would not tip this shaft unless a professional fitter recommended it for you. Good luck.

Hey folks

I've gone blind order for TP for all my woods! Ive played a similar bend profile for a decade and this shaft is the cream of the crop materials/technology wise. Have only heard positive reviews.

My personal thoughts and reviews will take a bit, won't be able to play till April, but I'll post when I do!

Went with the following specs:

Driver: 7-TX @ 44.75" tipped 0.5"

3W: 8-X @ 42.50" tipped 1"

5W: 8-X @ 41.50" tipped 1"

I wish I could give you more information than some of us have already posted in here but I never hit the Ka'il. I'd say excellence if you get the right flex, length, and weight. It's been very consistent for me adding some yardage but most importantly, its been consistent everytime out and I know what to expect each time I stand over the ball. GD's description on their website is very accurate as it lowered spin and is very stiff in the tip. I would not tip this shaft unless a professional fitter recommended it for you. Good luck.

Just realized the similarities in our bag! Blind order the TP for your 3w dude :)

Just realized the similarities in our bag! Blind order the TP for your 3w dude :)

I like your style and sig. I'm sure I'll end up with the TP in the 3 before its over...

Hey folks

I've gone blind order for TP for all my woods! Ive played a similar bend profile for a decade and this shaft is the cream of the crop materials/technology wise. Have only heard positive reviews.

My personal thoughts and reviews will take a bit, won't be able to play till April, but I'll post when I do!

Went with the following specs:

Driver: 7-TX @ 44.75" tipped 0.5"

3W: 8X @ 42.50" tipped 1"

5W: 8X @ 41.50" tipped 1"

Sounds like a killer set up!!!! Can't wait to hear about it!

I am also ordering blind, my swing speed averaged 106mph last fitting . I am going to get the tp6 stiff. Would u recommend tipping it? If I remember correctly my Oban purple 65 is tipped 1"

If I recall correctly 105 driver swing speed is the threshold where Graphite Design moves from S to X.

Being right on the cusp, I'd tip the AD TP 6S 1/2"

I am also ordering blind, my swing speed averaged 106mph last fitting . I am going to get the tp6 stiff. Would u recommend tipping it? If I remember correctly my Oban purple 65 is tipped 1"

If I recall correctly 105 driver swing speed is the threshold where Graphite Design moves from S to X.

Being right on the cusp, I'd tip the AD TP 6S 1/2"

Thanks for the reply, I will go with 1/2".

GP is outstanding. That said I gained 7 mph switching from Rogue Black to AD-GT. So that is an absolutely phenomenal shaft

EDIT: I also think the GT will be available for less. Worth a shot picking one up, it runs laps around the BB, GP, DI. Only other Tour AD shaft that gives it a real run is the MT.

Well, I made it to the range today with my new AD GP6s in my 915d2 and all I can say is wow. It is freaking perfect for me. I am far less educated than most of you guys on here as far as shaft terminology but all I can say is it is freaking perfect feeling and exactly what I was looking for. I was worried about the "boardy" feeling as a lot of guys on here have said but in my opinion, it felt super stable and had just the right amount of whip that jumps off the face with a mid/high launch with very little spin. I can't wait to get on a monitor and check the numbers. Thanks guys!

TSI3 9 Pro White
TSI2 15  Pro White

PXG 0311T P-7/0311P 6-4
VOKEY SM7 RAW 52F 08
VOKEY SM7 RAW 56S 10
VOKEY SM7 RAW 60L 04
PRO V1X

Well, I made it to the range today with my new AD GP6s in my 915d2 and all I can say is wow. It is freaking perfect for me. I am far less educated than most of you guys on here as far as shaft terminology but all I can say is it is freaking perfect feeling and exactly what I was looking for. I was worried about the "boardy" feeling as a lot of guys on here have said but in my opinion, it felt super stable and had just the right amount of whip that jumps off the face with a mid/high launch with very little spin. I can't wait to get on a monitor and check the numbers. Thanks guys!

Nice Wallace. Same results for me and a few others in here. Nice to know there is a shaft specifically for each of us. Please keep us posted.

My only issue is now trying to decide if I want to put a GD or TP in my 3wood.

PS. Like you I also experienced a higher ball flight than expected w low spin. I ended up lowering loft to 8 degrees to get launch down from 15 to around 12-13 and picked up more ball speed and even more distance. However, the most important aspect is control and the GP has my driving game at a very high level of confidence now. Great shaft for those that fit its profile. Congrats on your find.

I went with the DI7s in the 3 wood and 95s in hybrid. I am going to have to butt trim the 3 wood 1/2" and I think it will be good. I always wanted to try the hype behind the Graphite Design Shafts. Glad I finally did. Cant wait to get everything dialed in.

TSI3 9 Pro White
TSI2 15  Pro White

PXG 0311T P-7/0311P 6-4
VOKEY SM7 RAW 52F 08
VOKEY SM7 RAW 56S 10
VOKEY SM7 RAW 60L 04
PRO V1X

• 1 month later...

Found a GP for my 3 wood and its a perfect fit again. Just wish it would have been teal instead of black but price and performance trumps looks every time for me. Shaft hunting finally over for me.

That is great to hear. I have a GP 8x shaft ready, but haven't put it in my 3-wood yet. I'm anxious to try and will definitely post when I re-shaft and see how it performs. This will be my first graphite design shaft I've ever hit, and I've hit about every other major company's shafts.

I'm thinking about the GP 7X - can anyone still gaming the GP provide an update? Any additional responses appreciated!

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

For what it's worth I was thinking of pairing it with the Cobra F7+

I just got this combo yesterday (F7+ with GP 6X) and it's a winner. I've played the last 4 cobra drivers and this one is the culmination of best parts of all. Limited Pro sound and feel, Fly Z forgiveness, F6+ spin control and seems to be as long as the Bio Cell Pro (which I should probably still be gaming). With the GP shaft it's amazing for me. No numbers, the postman dropped it off and I went straight to the range. Couldn't make it go left, which for me will keep it in the bag a long time! The dispersion was amazing. I can't wait to play it. The GP is not boardy at all for me, and I prefer the rebar feel (absolutely hated the DI, it feels like the club head is soooo far behind me at impact I try and whip my hands through to catch up. Can you say pull hooks?). Its real smooth and stays with you no matter how hard you swing. I have a quick/ aggressive transition with too much lag, SS 109-111, and struggle with excessive spin and slightly too low launch (weird right?). This shaft seems to be a perfect fit for those problems.

I have hit the TP in my friends Epic SZ. It's super smooth, and boardered on "soft" feeling to me. Definitely higher ball flight, but I wouldn't say it spun excessively, I hit some bombs with it, but the dispersion wasn't nearly as good for me. However, I don't get along well with non Cobra heads...

Side note: I also got a Atmos Black 7X that I plugged in. Actually hit it a little higher and what seemed to be farther ( it would land and just run!), however I was missing it left on occasion.... But that's a whole other thread.

Callaway Rogue ST 💎💎💎 LS 9* Ventus Black 6X (green dot adapter set to 7*)

Maverik Sub Zero 13.5 Ventus Blue 7X

Apex UW 19* Ventus Blue 8X

Callaway X Forged 4-PW Modus 125X

Apex MB Gap Wedge  50* Modus 125X

Vokey 56S & 60L TT Tour Issue S400

Scotty Cameron 2012 Select Newport

I just got this combo yesterday (F7+ with GP 6X) and it's a winner. I've played the last 4 cobra drivers and this one is the culmination of best parts of all. Limited Pro sound and feel, Fly Z forgiveness, F6+ spin control and seems to be as long as the Bio Cell Pro (which I should probably still be gaming). With the GP shaft it's amazing for me. No numbers, the postman dropped it off and I went straight to the range. Couldn't make it go left, which for me will keep it in the bag a long time! The dispersion was amazing. I can't wait to play it. The GP is not boardy at all for me, and I prefer the rebar feel (absolutely hated the DI, it feels like the club head is soooo far behind me at impact I try and whip my hands through to catch up. Can you say pull hooks?). Its real smooth and stays with you no matter how hard you swing. I have a quick/ aggressive transition with too much lag, SS 109-111, and struggle with excessive spin and slightly too low launch (weird right?). This shaft seems to be a perfect fit for those problems.

I have hit the TP in my friends Epic SZ. It's super smooth, and boardered on "soft" feeling to me. Definitely higher ball flight, but I wouldn't say it spun excessively, I hit some bombs with it, but the dispersion wasn't nearly as good for me. However, I don't get along well with non Cobra heads...

Side note: I also got a Atmos Black 7X that I plugged in. Actually hit it a little higher and what seemed to be farther ( it would land and just run!), however I was missing it left on occasion.... But that's a whole other thread.

I had the exact same experience and problems with the DI and Tour65X from Ping. Glad you've found the "one'. Reading your post made me think of my experience in Dec. My hcp has dropped over 3 strokes and I finally lost my first ball in 10 rounds in a lake that borders my 10th fairway a few weeks back. It is so nice to have eliminated the left that would always grab me in the past. Nice post and enjoy.

Thanks for the post! My order has been placed and I can't wait to try out the new setup. We have similar SS as well so I appreciate hearing your thoughts.

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black