How many Golf Digest Top 100 Courses have you played?

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would guess there are only about 30 or so really worth seeking out.

I think the number is actually a lot higher. The problem is that courses (and experiences) are rarely at their very best. And a perfect day - in every way - on #75 is likely going to be "better" than an average day at #30, and still better than a "bad" day at a Top 10 (even the best have off days).

I've had some pretty special days at places like Eastward Ho! (#152) or Cal Club (#136) and some pretty uninspired days at courses in the Top 20.

The other thing that I've come to realize is that a lot of the best places have a certain subtlety about them that can be difficult to pick up in a single round. I've been lucky to play one top 100 course quite a lot, and it has a hole on it that I always felt didn't belong in the same class as the other 17. One day I played it with the head pro, and I was complaining about how it wasn't really up to snuff. He then went on to demonstrate that I just didn't really understand the hole from an architecture perspective, and was actually being "tricked" into playing it in a way that created a lot more risk (and relatively little reward). Since then, I've come to appreciate that hole - but it took 20+ rounds and instruction from the pro to get there. Most visitors to the course are going to play it once and walk away thinking it's just an unfair hole that doesn't belong.

I think the number is actually a lot higher. The problem is that courses (and experiences) are rarely at their very best. And a perfect day - in every way - on #75 is likely going to be "better" than an average day at #30, and still better than a "bad" day at a Top 10 (even the best have off days).

I've had some pretty special days at places like Eastward Ho! (#152) or Cal Club (#136) and some pretty uninspired days at courses in the Top 20.

The other thing that I've come to realize is that a lot of the best places have a certain subtlety about them that can be difficult to pick up in a single round. I've been lucky to play one top 100 course quite a lot, and it has a hole on it that I always felt didn't belong in the same class as the other 17. One day I played it with the head pro, and I was complaining about how it wasn't really up to snuff. He then went on to demonstrate that I just didn't really understand the hole from an architecture perspective, and was actually being "tricked" into playing it in a way that created a lot more risk (and relatively little reward). Since then, I've come to appreciate that hole - but it took 20+ rounds and instruction from the pro to get there. Most visitors to the course are going to play it once and walk away thinking it's just an unfair hole that doesn't belong.

Crystal Downs?

Crystal Downs?

Almost sounds like 18 at CPC.

Crystal Downs?

Almost sounds like 18 at CPC.

I was thinking #17 at CD!

• 1 month later...

16 The Country Club

21 The Ocean Course

30 Pinehurst #2

36 Bandon Dunes

38 Bethpage Black

51 TPC Sawgrass

56 Old Sandwich

82 Boston GC

91 Essex CC

Of this group that you've played, how accurate are the rankings?

I've played all of those except Bandon, and wouldn't quibble with how most of them are rated, especially once you understand how much "resistance to scoring" counts in the methodology.

16 The Country Club (Hard to say, I've only played one course ranked higher. Its ranking will undoubtedly rise over the next couple of years as it gets ready for the US Open)

21 The Ocean Course (Over-rated from my enjoyment perspective, but it's a really hard golf course, so I get why it's so high)

30 Pinehurst #2 (about right)

36 Bandon Dunes (have not played)

38 Bethpage Black (over rated, again, probably on the basis that it's so frickin hard)

51 TPC Sawgrass (about right)

56 Old Sandwich (under rated)

82 Boston GC (probably about right)

91 Essex CC (Over rated - I love the course, but there are a bunch rated lower that I'd rather play).

16 The Country Club

21 The Ocean Course

30 Pinehurst #2

36 Bandon Dunes

38 Bethpage Black

51 TPC Sawgrass

56 Old Sandwich

82 Boston GC

91 Essex CC

Of this group that you've played, how accurate are the rankings?

I'd say the courses are fairly accurate. It all depends on skill level and personal preference. I'm a huge fan of old school, New England, Donald Ross tracks...so I'm a little partial to the Boston-area courses. Bethpage was HARD, even trying to do myself a favor and playing one tee forward. Ocean Course is scenic, probably over rated slightly. My all time favorite course I've ever played is The Country Club. Being super competitive and a pretty good stick, I'm probably bias considering how I played at each haha

I'm going with the most recent list from GD 20187/18

http://www.golfdiges...courses-ranking

5. OAKMONT - Even at 5, its under-rated. The most penal and unforgiving course I've ever plaid....even in perfect conditions.

7. PEBBLE BEACH - The first time is overwhelming with the high expectations, mystique and the beauty of Monterey but after playing it a few times, the pace of play, some ordinary holes, coupled with the cost, is enough for me to consider it a bit over-rated.

19. FRIAR'S HEAD - Fantastic course.

21. THE OCEAN COURSE - I've played it about a dozen times and consider it one of the top 5 courses I've ever played.

22. WHISTLING STRAITS (STRAITS) - Overrated. Fantastic location with some really good holes...BUT, poor course conditions, caused by heavy play, pace of play and cost leaves a little sour taste.

30. PINEHURST #2 - Great course from a design/architectural perspective with some unforgettable green structures.

49. SPYGLASS HILL - Seriously Underrated. Best opening 5-6 holes in golf, IMO, and amazingly maintained. Your "A" game is a must here. Prefer over Pebble.

51. TPC SAWGRASS - Of the "TPC" course, probably my favorite but heavy traffic, poor conditions half the year and slow play make it over-rated at this spot, for me...but you will remember your tee shot at 17 forever, regardless of how well played.

72. MAIDSTONE - Underrated. Beautiful, difficult and fun!

92. BLACKWOLF RUN - Overrated. Well maintained and tough but underwhelming.

Difficult to determine where a course should be rated without playing the majority, just basing on personal opinion.

Once you've tasted the cream at the top its difficult to go back to normal courses. Hard to call a course that sits atop most rankings underrated but Pine Valley exceeded all of my expectations and anyone who has the chance to grace the Borough of PV knows how much fun the place is. Having played Royal County Down and shinnecock I would say PV is a clear winner, then again i haven't seen Augusta or Cypress in the flesh so can't make a fully informed decision yet. To keep this in line with the topic - played about 11 of the top 20 and 25 of the top 100

America's 100 Greatest Golf Courses ('15-'16)

#18 - Pacific Dunes (P)

#20 - The Ocean Course (O)

#22 - Whistling Straits (P)

#28 - Pinehurst No 2 [Pre-renovation] (O)

#37 - Bandon Dunes (O)

#42 - Erin Hills (U)

#55 - Old Macdonald (U)

#65 - Arcadia Bluffs (O)

#74 - Bandon Trails (P)

#91 - Blackwolf Run River (P)

#96 - The Pete Dye Course (U)

#100 - Streamsong Red (U)

America's 100 Greatest Golf Public Courses ('15-'16)

#2 - Pacific Dunes (P)

#3 - The Ocean Course (O)

#4 - Whistling Straits (P)

#5 - Pinehurst No 2 [Pre-renovation] (O)

#7 - Bandon Dunes (O)

#8 - Erin Hills (U)

#12 - Old Macdonald (U)

#13 - Arcadia Bluffs (O)

#15 - Bandon Trails (P)

#16 - Blackwolf Run River (P)

#17 - The Pete Dye Course (U)

#18 - Streamsong Red (U)

#19 - Harbour Town Golf Links (O)

#24 - Streamsong Blue (P)

#27 - Mauna Kea (P)

#35 - The Prairie Club Dunes (U)

#40 - PGA West Stadium (P)

#47 - Whistling Straits Irish (P)

#48 - Tullymore GC (O)

#50 - The Dunes Golf and Beach Club (O)

#53 - Cog Hill No 4 Dubsdread (P)

#66 - World Woods Pine Barrens (P)

#68 - TPC San Antonio Oaks (P)

#69 - Onmi Barton Creek Fazio Canyons (O)

#70 - The Bull at Pinehurst Farms (P)

#73 - Caldonia Golf and Fish Club (P)

#74 - Longaberger (P)

#75 - The Prairie Club Pines (P)

#77 - Wild Horse GC (U)

#80 - Pinhurst No 8 (P)

#83 - The Donald Ross Course at French Lick (O)

#84 - Bay Harbor Links/Quarry (P)

#85 - Lawsonia Links (U)

#97 - Bay Hill (O)

^ AMAZING

I've played 30 of the current list:

http://www.golfdiges...courses-ranking

Too much work to type them all in. If someone can point me to a printed list, I would be happy to cite the actual courses and my opinions. In general, I think the rankings are reasonable. However there are a TON of fantastic courses in the second 100 too.

• 1 month later...

Of the top 100, zero. Of the top 100 public I've played Whistling Straights Irish (48) and Tullymore (49). Both overrated IMO.

This summer I'm playing 4 more and will try to make room for a 5th:

Forest Dunes (23)

Dormie Club (43)

Tobacco Road (71)

The Bear at Grand Traverse (81)

I've been trying to make a day trip up to The Bull at Pinehurst Farms (70) but just haven't been able to fit it in.

For the life of me I don't understand how Greywalls in Michigan doesn't crack this list.

TaylorMade M2 9° Fujikuri Pro Stiff
Ping I3 2-PW Blue
Cleveland 588 RTX Tour Satin 52°
Cleveland 588 RTX Tour Satin 56°
Ping Karsten Ally i Putter

America's 100 Greatest Golf Courses ('15-'16)

#18 - Pacific Dunes (P)

#20 - The Ocean Course (O)

#22 - Whistling Straits (P)

#28 - Pinehurst No 2 [Pre-renovation] (O)

#37 - Bandon Dunes (O)

#42 - Erin Hills (U)

#55 - Old Macdonald (U)

#65 - Arcadia Bluffs (O)

#74 - Bandon Trails (P)

#91 - Blackwolf Run River (P)

#96 - The Pete Dye Course (U)

#100 - Streamsong Red (U)

America's 100 Greatest Golf Public Courses ('15-'16)

#2 - Pacific Dunes (P)

#3 - The Ocean Course (O)

#4 - Whistling Straits (P)

#5 - Pinehurst No 2 [Pre-renovation] (O)

#7 - Bandon Dunes (O)

#8 - Erin Hills (U)

#12 - Old Macdonald (U)

#13 - Arcadia Bluffs (O)

#15 - Bandon Trails (P)

#16 - Blackwolf Run River (P)

#17 - The Pete Dye Course (U)

#18 - Streamsong Red (U)

#19 - Harbour Town Golf Links (O)

#24 - Streamsong Blue (P)

#27 - Mauna Kea (P)

#35 - The Prairie Club Dunes (U)

#40 - PGA West Stadium (P)

#47 - Whistling Straits Irish (P)

#48 - Tullymore GC (O)

#50 - The Dunes Golf and Beach Club (O)

#53 - Cog Hill No 4 Dubsdread (P)

#66 - World Woods Pine Barrens (P)

#68 - TPC San Antonio Oaks (P)

#69 - Onmi Barton Creek Fazio Canyons (O)

#70 - The Bull at Pinehurst Farms (P)

#73 - Caldonia Golf and Fish Club (P)

#74 - Longaberger (P)

#75 - The Prairie Club Pines (P)

#77 - Wild Horse GC (U)

#80 - Pinhurst No 8 (P)

#83 - The Donald Ross Course at French Lick (O)

#84 - Bay Harbor Links/Quarry (P)

#85 - Lawsonia Links (U)

#97 - Bay Hill (O)

^ AMAZING

Thanks. I added Pelican Hill South (61) and Pelican Hill North (89) last month. I'm tentatively scheduled to play Wolf Creek (41) in April, and Pebble Beach (1), Spyglass Hill (11), Pasatiempo (21), and The Links at Spanish Bay (49) in July or August.

Pelican-Hill-Golf-Club-Ocean-North.jpg

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Sadly only one, Muirfield Village in Dublin OH. I've played Longaberger too, but I doubt it's still ranked in the top 100. Probably makes the public list but not overall in the US. It's gone downhill some but is still a fantastic course. Muirfield Village is tough. Super course but I'd hate to see what my handicap would be if I was a member and used this course to maintain it. It doesn't set up well for my style of play. I'm a bomber that struggles with accuracy and other than a streaky round here and there can't putt worth a darn.

Funny story (if you like darkish humor), I had a tee time to play (at the time it was top 50 don't know if it's still on the list as I didn't look it up) Firestone. On my drive up there we were caught in a complete traffic stop on I-71. This was about 20 years ago or so. Complete unmoving stoppage of traffic for 6+ hours. What was the cause you might ask? Turns out a policeman in Columbus OH had shot and killed his girl friend then led police on about an 80 mile high speed chase up I-71, ran out of his car, got into a shootout with State Troopers in a nearby woods and ended up offing himself. Once I heard on the radio what was going on, and it became more apparent that I was going to miss my one and only chance to play this great course, I remember yelling out the window (don't judge I was around 20 years old then) "Just shoot the bleeper already!!" It took me a full year to get over missing out on that one.

Sadly only one, Muirfield Village in Dublin OH. I've played Longaberger too, but I doubt it's still ranked in the top 100. Probably makes the public list but not overall in the US. It's gone downhill some but is still a fantastic course. Muirfield Village is tough. Super course but I'd hate to see what my handicap would be if I was a member and used this course to maintain it. It doesn't set up well for my style of play. I'm a bomber that struggles with accuracy and other than a streaky round here and there can't putt worth a darn.

Funny story (if you like darkish humor), I had a tee time to play (at the time it was top 50 don't know if it's still on the list as I didn't look it up) Firestone. On my drive up there we were caught in a complete traffic stop on I-71. This was about 20 years ago or so. Complete unmoving stoppage of traffic for 6+ hours. What was the cause you might ask? Turns out a policeman in Columbus OH had shot and killed his girl friend then led police on about an 80 mile high speed chase up I-71, ran out of his car, got into a shootout with State Troopers in a nearby woods and ended up offing himself. Once I heard on the radio what was going on, and it became more apparent that I was going to miss my one and only chance to play this great course, I remember yelling out the window (don't judge I was around 20 years old then) "Just shoot the bleeper already!!" It took me a full year to get over missing out on that one.

haha that stretch of 71 between Cleveland and Columbus is never fun. I have been sitting in dead stopped traffic while some part of that freeway was closed more times than I care to recall. I remember one time coming home from a race at MidOhio and it was just stopped. Same kind of situation, hours on end. Cars turned off, people hanging out on the road out of their cars. It was awful. A SUV filled with college spring breakers had flipped and ejected people across the freeway. We watched the chopper land on the freeway. It was awful.

MVGC is not the place to attack from the rough all day long lol. The good thing about that place in regards to handicap, is an 85 is about the equivalent to a 79 at most tracks lol.

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

The top 100 I've played are:

#4 Shinnecock Hills

#5 Oakmont

#6 Merion (east)

#7 Pebble Beach

#9 Sand Hills

#10 Winged Foot (west)

#11 Fishers Island

#12 Crystal Downs

#16 Country Club

#17 Oakland Hills (south)

#18 Pacific Dunes

#20 Oak Hill (east)

#22 Whistling Straits

#23 Los Angeles C.C. (North)

#24 Riviera

#26 Shadow Creek

#28 Gozzer Ranch

#29 Prairie Dunes

#30 Pinehurst #2

#31 Olympic Club (lake)

#32 The Honors Course

#33 Peachtree

#34 The Golf Club

#35 Southern Hills

#36 Bandon Dunes

#37 San Francisco G.C.

#38 Bethpage (black)

#39 Baltusrol (Lower)

#41 Sebonack

#43 Victoria National

#44 Erin Hills

#47 Old Macdonald

#49 Spyglass

#51 TPC Sawgrass

#52 Camargo

#53 Kinloch

#54 Interlachen

#56 Old Sandwich

#57 Scioto

#59 Dallas National

#61 Baltusrol (upper)

#62 Winged Foot (east)

#64 Somerset Hills

#67 Kittansett Club

#68 Arcadia Bluffs

#70 Bandon Trails

#75 Congressional (blue)

#76 Quaker Ridge

#77 Plainfield C.C

#79 Olympia Fields (north)

#81 Valhalla

#88 Rich Harvest Links

#89 Inverness

#92 Blackwolf Run (river)

#97 Flint Hills

Well over half the 100, in my personal opinion I believe each course has its unique characteristics and special things that will make it unique to one person and not so much to many others. We all have our own personal taste and what one person might not like another will adore greatly. So with that I give my own top 10 from just the courses I listed above.

#1 Fishers Island

#2 Shinnecock Hills

#3 Merion

#4 Oakmont

#5 Pebble Beach

#6 Los Angeles C.C.

#7 Peachtree

#8 Sand Hills

#9 Camargo

#10 The Country Club

#13 - Crystal Downs CC (O - but still very cool)

#15 - Muirfield Village GC (P)

#65 - Arcadia Bluffs GC (O)

#97 - Valhalla GC (P)

Added 4 more last weekend!

18 - Pacific Dunes (U - I'd put it ahead of both Crystal Downs and Muirfield Village

36 - Bandon Dunes (U)

47 - Old MacDonald (P)

70 - Bandon Trails (U - there is no way Arcadia Bluffs should be ranked higher)

Such an amazing collection of courses in one place!

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
TaylorMade M2 Tour 18*, Fujikura Rombax P95x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x or Tour Issue or Titleist TSi2 21* (set to 20*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x
Cobra King RF Forged MB - 4-PW, KBS C-Taper 120 Stiff
Corey Paul 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

• 3 weeks later...

I played Wolf Creek (41) on Saturday. I'd rank it as my favorite desert golf course, and probably one of the most visually interesting courses I've ever played. Next up, Monterey.

20170415_091348s.jpg

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

A total of 23, but 9 of the top 10 and 13 of the top 17. Favorites are PV, Merion and Oakmont.

1 Pine Valley

2 Augusta

3 Cypress Point

4 Shinnecock

5 Oakmont

6 Merion

7 Pebble Beach

8 National Golf Links

10 Winged Foot west

13 Seminole

14 Chicago Golf Club

15 Muirfield Village

17 Oakland Hills

34 The Golf Club

39 Baltusrol lower

49 Spyglass

57 Scioto

61 Baltusrol upper

66 Shoreacres

72 Maidstone

76 Quaker Ridge

86 Double Eagle

89 Inverness

A great observation! It has been my belief that the best courses do take time to reveal themselves, offering cerebral challenges in addition to testing physical skill. It seems the trend in modern golf design eschews the thinking part of the game, instead, offering a simple serial test of shotmaking. Blended with the popularity of the lush green presentation and resulting soft conditions, the game has evolved into one requiring a purely aerial attack. When a golfer's experience is limited to this style of one-dimensional golf, it can be confusing when presented with a course that asks for some thought, suggests the use of the ground to influence the movement of the ball, or where to get the ball close to the hole, one needs to play away from the hole.