Nike RZN stockpiling worth it?

ConcentricDimples

I wonder why Nike made these Olympic balls and never released them. They announced they were out of equipment right before the Olympics, but I would have thought they would have released them months before the Olympics. I wonder if all the dented tins are part of the story.

Maybe bc nobody from Team USA was playing Nike. Makes me wonder if there's a huge stash of these overseas with a different logo, made under the assumption that Rory was going to play. Whatever the reason - fine with me, as they resulted in a bunch of inexpensive, quality balls!

correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't nike the official team usa outfitter for the olympics? if so, then undoubtedly they made other odds and ends (like rzn tp golf balls) that have the usa and nike/swoosh on it.

I'm just wondering why they never released them at a regular price before the Olympics.

I think the logos didn't look so great and of alot of the tins were damaged... Nike leaves the equipment business.

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder why Nike made these Olympic balls and never released them. They announced they were out of equipment right before the Olympics, but I would have thought they would have released them months before the Olympics. I wonder if all the dented tins are part of the story.

Maybe bc nobody from Team USA was playing Nike. Makes me wonder if there's a huge stash of these overseas with a different logo, made under the assumption that Rory was going to play. Whatever the reason - fine with me, as they resulted in a bunch of inexpensive, quality balls!

correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't nike the official team usa outfitter for the olympics? if so, then undoubtedly they made other odds and ends (like rzn tp golf balls) that have the usa and nike/swoosh on it.

I'm just wondering why they never released them at a regular price before the Olympics.

I think the logos didn't look so great and of alot of the tins were damaged... Nike leaves the equipment business.

I didn't go to this past Olympics - however I assume there were for sale there. I recall seeing some tins on NDC but the pricing on it didn't make sense to me. it made a dozen to be $15 a sleeve - so more expensive than just buying a standard dz.

Absolutely worth it! WHy not play tour level balls for cheap? No real major advancements in ball technology right now, and by the time I am through my stock maybe something new will hit.

Also, any ball you switch to now will be "obsolete" in two years anyways. So play a cheap great ball!

Yes I admit I'm a golf ball HO. But My HO-ing is strictly for down to one ball the "2016 Nike Rzn tour platinum" IMO its as good or better than other premium ball out there and that includes 2017 an especially when you consider the price between $16.01 and $17.35 a dozen. I have completely cleaned out my PGA Superstore and local Dick's which price matched. I now have a total of 34 Dozen. which will last me who knows how long when you consider I play twice a week and lose maybe 1-2 a round at the most. At that price how can you loose!!!!!!!!!!

Yes I admit I'm a golf ball HO. But My HO-ing is strictly for down to one ball the "2016 Nike Rzn tour platinum" IMO its as good or better than other premium ball out there and that includes 2017 an especially when you consider the price between $16.01 and $17.35 a dozen. I have completely cleaned out my PGA Superstore and local Dick's which price matched. I now have a total of 34 Dozen. which will last me who knows how long when you consider I play twice a week and lose maybe 1-2 a round at the most. At that price how can you loose!!!!!!!!!!

Between the Srixon Zstar and Nike Rzn Tour Platinum deals out there, I've grabbed 76 dozen top quality tour balls at no more than $20 per.

Between the Srixon Zstar and Nike Rzn Tour Platinum deals out there, I've grabbed 76 dozen top quality tour balls at no more than $20 per.

Where is everyone finding the new Srixon deals? Can't seem to find any online but really want to try them.

Having originally hated the Nike RZN tour Black, I can now officially say I am a convert. As such I have stockpiled 15 dozen, which should last me at least 4 or 5 rounds.

I bought some of the new Z Star XV balls today too, and was very impressed by how they performed on course. However, on trackman the ye olde Nike kicks its butt.

PXG 0811X Gen2 9deg Driver - AD-GP 7TX
PXG 0341X Gen2 15deg Fairway - AD-GP 8TX
PXG 0311X Gen2 1 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311X Gen2 3 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311T Gen2 4-PW - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 51 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 56 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Zulu 61 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG Brandon H - 34.5”
PXG Operator H - 34.5”
Toulon Indianapolis - 34.5”
PXG 50/50 Staff Bag
Bridgestone Tour B X

KaBoom Baby!

Having originally hated the Nike RZN tour Black, I can now officially say I am a convert. As such I have stockpiled 15 dozen, which should last me at least 4 or 5 rounds.

I bought some of the new Z Star XV balls today too, and was very impressed by how they performed on course. However, on trackman the ye olde Nike kicks its butt.

ouch! lol I'm sure it was a typo, but that's funny to think about 15 dz for 4 or 5 rounds...hahah!

They were released during the Olympics. I can't recall if they were $15 or $20 a tube, but they were for sale on Nike.com

I received a dozen RZN Tour blacks for Christmas, and just got around to trying them today after finally emptying my stash of Chrome Softs. It is an absolutely awesome ball. Distance is amazing for a urethane ball, and green side spin is excellent. It's been rainy and wet here lately,and I managed to suck a RZN black back like it was on a leash. After playing the first 18 holes with these balls, makes me hate that Nike is done making them.

I received a dozen RZN Tour blacks for Christmas, and just got around to trying them today after finally emptying my stash of Chrome Softs. It is an absolutely awesome ball. Distance is amazing for a urethane ball, and green side spin is excellent. It's been rainy and wet here lately,and I managed to suck a RZN black back like it was on a leash. After playing the first 18 holes with these balls, makes me hate that Nike is done making them.

go buy as many as you can now...while you can!

go buy as many as you can now...while you can!

AMEN

PXG GEN6 0311 10.5*DRIVER/FUJI RED VELOCORE 6S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN5 0311XF 17*FAIRWAY/FUJI MOTORE X F3 7S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN3 0311XP 3 IRON/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN3 0311P 4-PW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN4 0311P GW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG SD II WEDGES/56/13&62/10/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/GP TW BLK

MACHINE M2A 1018RAW CS PUTTER/ACCRA I-STEEL/SS FLAT 1.0

Have yet to find any good deals on the Nike RZN platinum, in stores, but found the deal on the Srixons, and will stick to those for the next season or two. Since Nike is out of the business of making them not a bad time to move on anyway. The Black is a great long ball comparable to any firm feel. The RZN was a bit more spin than the Black or XV, but by far the best feeling ball for me. Had the perfect feel of not too soft or firm and just the snap and feedback was the best I have ever played; disappointing to see them go.

Really like the Black, haven't played the platinum yet but I'm not sure I have the swing speed for it. FYI they have the Black in volt at lots of Nike Factory stores, combined with the current 30% off deal they come in at ~$16, not a bad deal if you can handle the color.

Every once in a while you can find the prior year model Rzn for cheap at the Nike outlets too.

Really like the Black, haven't played the platinum yet but I'm not sure I have the swing speed for it. FYI they have the Black in volt at lots of Nike Factory stores, combined with the current 30% off deal they come in at ~$16, not a bad deal if you can handle the color.

If you are playing the Black, and assuming it is the '16 Tour Black, you won't have a problem with the Platinum and may like them better since they are slightly softer. Here's some good details on both:

Nike_RZN_Tour_Black_zpsofik9wqj.jpeg

Nike_RZN_Tour_Platinum_zps1q2pybhz.jpeg

51228683_mizunoshadow.jpg.331dc94966b1c93058cfa910903c6db8.jpg

The RZN family is my favorite set of golf balls so of course it goes away. I got a set of whites a few years back at a scramble then tried the blacks and the platinums and I have no problem playing any of the 3. I never tried the 2016 version though.

Agree, have played and like all 3. Funny thing is, I have never heard anyone talk about the Reds. Makes me wonder if there's a huge stash sitting somewhere.

The RZN family is my favorite set of golf balls so of course it goes away. I got a set of whites a few years back at a scramble then tried the blacks and the platinums and I have no problem playing any of the 3. I never tried the 2016 version though.

"So of course it goes away"

Lol - you are the harbinger of failed product..hehe

I feel the same way so often. A high percentage of products I love tends to fail in so many catagories...however, my theory is this:

Many of us who find our way into forums such as this, just for a golf ball, are spending time to get the most bang for our buck with ALL of our purchases. It may be possible that (on the average) products with high quality for the dolar may may be of much lower margin therefore more likely to fail. In the majority if cases where there is a clear value/$, most people dont listen because we are used to BS being drilled unto our heads. Only the consumers who typically educate ourselves buy these item moreso, and that is insufficient to keep it afloat. Just an observation, and I'm sure there are more educated people in the field than me that could kill this observation and that's ok, I'm not invested in this concept beyond spending a few moments typing it on my phone.

So the Rzn platinum plays like a K-sig. These are the silver box with blue logos right?

I'm not sure as I can't really tell much of difference between tour black/tour platinum/prov1/prov1x/ksig, because I'm not that good or I refuse to buy/play titleist balls. But if you're comparing ksig to a prov1 then yes, ksig is most closely related to a tour platinum. Which is the silver (platinum colored) box.

I did not like the rzn black much...

But I ended up falling in love with the rzn tour black. I used the volt color all year long and was really happy with the performance.

Like clock work its now discontinued so I've stocked up 5 dozen. I'll try to get another 5 dozen or so when I find the right pricing.

I paid 26.99 at my local store here in Canada; For perspective I was paying 59.99 last summer at full pop.

So its a great bargain for a good golf ball.