2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Matsuyama reaction after every shot annoying

golf1010

Matsuyama is basically just an oddball. This is probably why I like him. In contrast to someone like Ishikawa (remember him?) who seemed to be the big thing in Japan a few years ago and appears much more reserved, Matsuyama is a a bit of a hothead and definitely wears his emotions on the outside, even though they are a bit hard to interpret.

I find the Japanese psyche fascinating and really hard to understand. They seem to love the reckless outlaw spirit in principle (it's really championed in fiction), but have very strict and conservative customs which dictate how people should behave.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand how Hidecki doesn't get fined for slow play. It's so annoying watching him get ready to hit - it's far worse than watching Sergio in his early years where he constantly regripped the club. He needs to get ready to hit before standing in to the ball and then get going. The endless regrips and looks are beyond annoying to watch. And add Jason Day to list as well. Great player but he's gotten really annoying to watch, especially now that he's turned into a little bit of a head case as well.

He could be getting fined. We'll just never hear about it

I notice some professionals don't start their club selection and/or pre-shot routine until after the other guy has hit. One would think he would be ready to go after the other guy's shot is in the air.

Most do not start their PSR until they plant the tee or are standing behind their ball. I know that I took my PSR from Sam's and I looked at 100's of videos of him(Pete had a library full, lol) and he never started till he pulled his club and stood behind his ball. Mine took 27-28 seconds from start to impact and I was considered an extremely quick Player. As I think about it, and bear in mind that my memory bank is like a foggy London morning, lol, however I do not remember any Pro that I've Played with starting their PSR while another Player was hitting.

The Tour Bois ain't big on "ready golf," LMAO ?

Have a great week Bro??

My Best,

Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Reading "Tour Mentality" by Nick O'Hern this weekend. Short and entertaining. In common with most PSR advocates, but from a pro who was not a deliberate player, you don't get into PSR until you trigger it (whatever your trigger is) and when you are at the ball or approaching it. Need to turn it off between shots. I assume the idea being you can't focus for 4-5 hours like you need to in PSR. Also, need to not be worrying about last shot or what score needed on current hole or nine holes.

There are times when players are at their balls while other players are hitting, and I assume (totally without knowing) their caddies are making sure they have yardage figured out, etc. so when it is their turn, they can start processing information efficiently. Some are slower than others, some shots are trickier. But, I can see a player waiting until it is his turn to go through that process and get in that moment.

Nilsson has "think box, play box", O'Hern "decide, execute" but lots of parallels.

In the end, it's truisms, and stuff other folks also say, but this book speaks to me in a way Nilsson's didn't and Rotella didn't. We'll see what happens with implementing (trying yet again) a consistent PSR this season.

Having worked with the Japanese when I was with American Hospital Supply Corporation and spending just over 6 months in their OR's, dry-bone labs and classrooms training their supposed top surgeons, I don't like them, their attitudes or their country. It's not an arrogance thing as I've grown up surrounded by, taught, coached and Mentored by narcissists. Hell, my God Father is Joseph Maroon, MD, lmao.

I like this kid though. I guess I'm partial to sheep who break from the herd and don't really care what the herd thinks when they're chasing goals and dreams that most of the herd can't even see or understand, much less shoot for.

That being said, I find their country full of paper tigers with glass jaws, who are extremely rigid, do ok when the "game" stays inside the lines and the box, but if they had to go outside of the lines and box, regarding decisions, execution of those decisions or P&P or protocol, and make it up as they went along, which your very best in any activity do it daily and they do it constantly, be it professionally, athletically or socially, well, they are like a fish layin on a dry beach, lol. I found a terminal case of "herd think" and full grown *** surgeons worried about breaking through the accepted norm. Most of em are stoneless sheep(is there such a thing as a sheep ?with stones, lol?).

THIS is in their culture and THIS is why I believe that all these super duper rising sun Tiger wanna be's come over here and while a few made a living and kept a card, none matched their success from nippon land, unlike the Best of the Euros, who, with a few exceptions, came over here and kicked ***.

This kid is different and while his internal compass definitely speaks to his home land, he thinks acts and Plays outside the lines and box-

That's what a Champion does-

They do it differently than the rest-

The kid has a chance to be the Real Deal-

Oh yea, before any of ya decide to flame me, read "The Rape of Nanking."

Honor?

Dignified?

Righteous?

Disciplined?

Yea, okey dokey ;)

Read it THEN talk to me

As always, this is just my .03 worth, though I'd put the value at a nickel. You guys got value on this one, lmao

Have a Great week??

All the Best,

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Reading "Tour Mentality" by Nick O'Hern this weekend. Short and entertaining. In common with most PSR advocates, but from a pro who was not a deliberate player, you don't get into PSR until you trigger it (whatever your trigger is) and when you are at the ball or approaching it. Need to turn it off between shots. I assume the idea being you can't focus for 4-5 hours like you need to in PSR. Also, need to not be worrying about last shot or what score needed on current hole or nine holes.

There are times when players are at their balls while other players are hitting, and I assume (totally without knowing) their caddies are making sure they have yardage figured out, etc. so when it is their turn, they can start processing information efficiently. Some are slower than others, some shots are trickier. But, I can see a player waiting until it is his turn to go through that process and get in that moment.

Nilsson has "think box, play box", O'Hern "decide, execute" but lots of parallels.

In the end, it's truisms, and stuff other folks also say, but this book speaks to me in a way Nilsson's didn't and Rotella didn't. We'll see what happens with implementing (trying yet again) a consistent PSR this season.

Your first paragraph should be pinned!!

Your last two sentences are priceless!!

Nicely Played?️

Is the ebook worth buying(I friggin love this technology stuff, lmao. I've got 47 "books" in my pocket, lol)?

Have a great week Bro?

My Best,

Richard

Your first paragraph should be pinned!!

Your last two sentences are priceless!!

Nicely Played?️

Is the ebook worth buying(I friggin love this technology stuff, lmao. I've got 47 "books" in my pocket, lol)?

Have a great week Bro?

My Best,

Richard

Thanks for the kind words!

At $9.99 I think the Kindle version is worth it. Nothing ground breaking, but to the point and some good anecdotes. Frankly, I'd read a book about his and his wife's experiences coming up on Tour (she caddied for him a lot in the beginning) if he ever writes one.

Very happy I spent $15 on the paperback. Low cost experiment. By contrast, there was a little short game book that was being touted in the instruction forum, I think about the same prices. I got it on a Friday a few weeks ago, by the time I finished dinner Friday evening that little paperback was in the trash. His short game approach (mechanics) was completely inconsistent with what I'm working on and got rid of the temptation to read it again - just knew it wasn't for me. Didn't feel cheated or that I wasted $15 or $20, just wasn't for me, others love it.

Rereading O'Hern this afternoon.